Pod Your Reef

Lalani's Pico Upgrade

Lalani

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! And pics as promised!

I had to add a small powerhead to increase the flow, because I apparently trimmed the maxi-jet impeller too much. If I don't have a spare, I'll have to order a new impeller.

But as you can see from the pics, the coralline is growing pretty well. :)

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

el fabuloso

You have crazy coralline algae already? That stuff is really taking its sweet time to grow in my tank. :(

AdriftQuasar

I have a 10 gallon or two laying around, I think I might have to set up another tank...Sexy tank!

Awesome new pictures..... those masked gobies are real dope.

Thanks, the gobies are becoming more confident every day!

You have crazy coralline algae already? That stuff is really taking its sweet time to grow in my tank. :(

I'm just as surprised as you are! :P

I have a 10 gallon or two laying around, I think I might have to set up another tank...Sexy tank!

:D

Tank is looking amazing Lalani!

Thanks!!

I check-in here every now and then just to check on your tank, Kim. As usual, am sooooo impressed with the beautiful development of the Pico. Soooo, well done hun! :D

Many thanks, chika, hope you and the little one are doing well! :)

Oh yeah, I think we may have a chiton??

The red thinger:

IMG_1073.jpg

WOW! I cant believe i just saw this amazing thread for the first time!!! Lalani your tank is amazing! I just spent 1/2 hour reading through the whole thread and i must say bravo on the tank!

Yea she does some crazy coralline voodoo or somethin :huh: because mine is also takin its sweet time. Love the colors in you tank Lalani, and those masked gobies are my new fav.

Nifty.........

:P

Yep, that's a chiton alright. I'm still jealous of your coralline. <_<

Ok, here is a noob question, are chitons harmless? :D

WOW! I cant believe i just saw this amazing thread for the first time!!! Lalani your tank is amazing! I just spent 1/2 hour reading through the whole thread and i must say bravo on the tank!

Thank you very much!

Yea she does some crazy coralline voodoo or somethin :huh: because mine is also takin its sweet time. Love the colors in you tank Lalani, and those masked gobies are my new fav.

Coralline likes me, I don't know why! I just can't get it to grow on the rocks in the 20H.

There has been a mishap with the new gobies. They were shipped to me all in the same bag and apparently the weakest of the three got beat up by the other two on the way here. When he arrived, his tail was a little damaged, but he's gotten worse since then. He's been hiding in the rocks and his tail and color look worse, and the bristle worms have been trying to get to him.... so I was able to chase him out and catch him, then transferred him to the 20H in hopes that he can recover without the other gobies beating on him. Wish me luck, cuz he's such a cutie... maybe Bob will take him under his wing.. if he's still alive. :(

:P

Ok, here is a noob question, are chitons harmless? :D

Thank you very much!

Coralline likes me, I don't know why! I just can't get it to grow on the rocks in the 20H.

There has been a mishap with the new gobies. They were shipped to me all in the same bag and apparently the weakest of the three got beat up by the other two on the way here. When he arrived, his tail was a little damaged, but he's gotten worse since then. He's been hiding in the rocks and his tail and color look worse, and the bristle worms have been trying to get to him.... so I was able to chase him out and catch him, then transferred him to the 20H in hopes that he can recover without the other gobies beating on him. Wish me luck, cuz he's such a cutie... maybe Bob will take him under his wing.. if he's still alive. :(

Ack, sorry to hear that. I'm glad you were able to catch him. Hopefully he will be able to recover in the new tank. Then you can snap some cool shots of him and Bob hanging out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, bad news for the masked gobies....

The odd man out, that was getting beaten badly, took a turn for the worse. He was looking pretty bad and the bristle worms were going after him, so I managed to catch him and move him to the 20H... Mom saw him eating a couple of days later, but we have not seen him since.... MIA

So there were two remaining gobies in this tank and they seemed to be getting along really well... even looked like they were pairing up..... yesterday one of them went missing and it's no where to be found... MIA

But the remaining one looks great! :D:(

Hey...just got caught up on the thread. Gobies are CUTE!!! sorry to hear you're down to one though.

I'm EXTREMELY jealous of your chiton...my favorite CUC critter out there. He's harmless - eats algae, rarely goes very far. Only problems people have with them are that they could scratch up acrylic with their extremely hard radulae. (If I change my mind and call it harmful, will you ship it to me for saving your tank from certain doom?? :D)

(If I change my mind and call it harmful, will you ship it to me for saving your tank from certain doom?? :D)

HAHAHA, yeah right! :P

He's a deep red color and sometimes blends in really well with the coralline.. I'll try to get a better pic of him soon. Thanks for the info!

I like the little chiton. Randomly I decided to look what animals come out of my rocks at night, and I found one similar to yours (except reddish only on the girdle). Apparently most are harmless; although, some eat coralline algae. Some info:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020815020042/.../wb/default.asp

Actually, Lalani's species is likely a coralline eater, based on coloration...chitons are similar to nudis in that regard. That may not be a bad thing though, as they'll seed the tank with coralline while they're eating, as little bits drift off to new places. And hence, that could be a contributor to everyone's coralline-envy...

Thanks for the info guys, and I don't mind if he's going to munch on the coralline.... There's plenty! :lol:

I just can't get over how slowly he moves. It takes hours for him to move an inch and he stays in the same area all the time.

Alright, current pics. Not much has changed, but everything is looking good. :)

Tomorrow I should receive three more sexy shrimp from FedEx!

Yes, that is a thermometer floating in the back..... I don't know why I haven't removed it yet.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Hey, where'd you come from? :P

IMG_1154.jpg

Something else I did this week:

Will also be receiving three cherry shrimp for this tank tomorrow.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

P.S. I've noticed a second chiton!

I ordered three sexy shrimp from LA and they arrived the other day, all healthy and looking good....

Well, I'm not sure what happened, but the new female and one of the new males have both disappeared. :(

At least the other male is alive and well. He and the older male are buddies and tend to spend time away from the female. Now she is venturing away from the hammer coral to see what they are up to!

Archived