Top Shelf Aquatics

Lalani's Pico Upgrade

Lalani

Your tank looks great! The feather duster looks even better since last time I looked.

BTW I think that hammer is going to look awesome in the place you have it. Especially when it grows out!

You have almost convinced me to do a sexy shrimp pico...

Oh yeah and like everyone else said...great pictures!

NOR

Thanks NOR, I wish that hammer would grow out...

How much more convincing should I do before you start a sexy shrimp tank? :D

Great tank! How much shorter is the false wall then the top of the tank?

Approximately 1/2 inch shorter than the inside rim of the tank. :)

Wow, this is absolutely stunning!

Thanks!!

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lalani, I think your pico is a fantastic tank setup. Try as I might, I just can't seem to get the hang of the artistry of aquascaping. My efforts always look pretty feeble compared to yours.

Oh, and thanks for the info you gave me way back when on the background color of your larger tank. The Krylon blue was just what I wanted. After a year with black I was sick of it, darkens up the tank too much and is unrealistic for a brightly lit reef!

Thank you so much! I am still not completely happy with the 'scaping, but I'm tired of messing with it..... for now.

And glad you like the blue paint, it really does brighten up a tank, doesn't it? :)

Finding a few new critters.. There are some baby snails that look almost like a nassarius, but almost like a conch... They are too small right now to tell, so I'll keep an eye on them.

This whatchamacallit:

DSCN8962.jpg

And this thing.... It was in the 2.5gal tank, and I never was able to identify it. It stays under the sand during the day and opens up at night. The tentacles have been growing more and more pink/purple, and when it is disturbed it retreats into the sand very quickly. It's been moving towards the front of the tank little by little....:

DSCN8968.jpg

Oh, and the sexy shrimp baby tank is ready... I just need to get some brine shrimp eggs and it's lift off!:

IMG_0388.jpg

Random cat pic:

IMG_9949.jpg

Oh, how I love the ocean and our little slices of it. And it's so real. Every day I go to the jetties to see what's there, because every day it's different. When we look inside our little boxes and see something we've not seen before, it's like we really are looking at the bigger scene too.

While I won't even hazard a guess as to what the two unknowns are, I feel pretty sure the last shot is of a lazy cat who likes to travel!

Brine shrimp for sexy shrim babies. Not too big? I know zero about them though I've had a single sexy for over three years now. I'd think they would prefer smaller stuff, like rotifers. Can you tell I'm trying to get others into that form of slavery? I haven't figured out how to automate their production yet!

Ah, it must be so nice to be able to just walk out to the jetties and watch the waves.. I used to love to visit our Great Aunt and Uncle's beach house on Grand Isle. There wasn't much to see in the water, since most if not all of the LA coast is green/brown water. But I loved to sit on top of the house. Especially at night, you could watch all of the oil rig lights in the distance. I think hurricane Rita took the crows nest off the roof, but the rest of it is still intact.

You're exactly right on the cat. She is quite lazy, except during playtime, and she likes to ride in the car. :happy:

According to all of the reading I have done, baby brine shrimp are perfect for ss larvae. Despite the size, the sexies have no problem catching and eating the bbs. After they get large enough, I will start feeding them a mixture of other things. :)

As I said, I know nothing of their habits. I am thinking of getting another for companionship. Have you also read that they do best in three's?

Have I mentioned that I'm from Mississippi. I can relate to green/brown water. Be assured though that there's lot's in the water at Grand Isle, it's just hard to see. For fishermen, it's a Mecca, as you probably know.. That and the Atchafalaya basin. I think I need to go get some crabs or crawfish, like right now.

I've always read that sexies do best in odd numbered groups over 3. Why odd numbers? I have no clue! But they do gain confidence in groups and you will see them 'dance' more often that way also.

I didn't know you were from MS, I have family there. :)

We used to chase and catch the sand crabs while in Grand Isle, and I stepped on quite a few turtles while there. I absolutely loved to catch crabs with just the net traps. Set about 25 of them in a row, start at the first one and work your way down... all day long. We had many crab boils! Saw lots of porpoises and a few sharkes and all of the other Gulf fish. It was always a fun time.

I'm pretty much done with crawfish... I don't know how many sacks we've eaten this season, but I don't want to see anymore until next season. :P

noobofreefs
Thanks NOR, I wish that hammer would grow out...

How much more convincing should I do before you start a sexy shrimp tank? :D

Haha, I have no clue what my next tank could be. I have a feeling it'll either be really big or really small. Really big would be cool but...this hobby is expensive already, I couldn't imagine having to do like 20 or 40 gallon water changes weekly. So who knows I may start a small tank up for fun, get some sexies and coral. (No fish) Maybe by the time I start a pico your babies will be all grown!

Oh and that whatchamacallit is really cool! I have no clue what it is though. I wish my cat played and liked to travel...he's just a pain in the butt... :angry::D

Cool cat pic! Your kitty looks a lot like mine!

Neat, she's a tuxedo cat. :)

Awww, your's is a cutie!!

Haha, I have no clue what my next tank could be. I have a feeling it'll either be really big or really small. Really big would be cool but...this hobby is expensive already, I couldn't imagine having to do like 20 or 40 gallon water changes weekly. So who knows I may start a small tank up for fun, get some sexies and coral. (No fish) Maybe by the time I start a pico your babies will be all grown!

Oh and that whatchamacallit is really cool! I have no clue what it is though. I wish my cat played and liked to travel...he's just a pain in the butt... :angry::D

I think the largest tank I would go up to would be 75 or 90, but in reality... 40 would be my limit. Like you said, water changes would be a pain, and I don't like the idea of skimming and dosing, so I'm sticking with nanos.

Hope I'll be able to raise some of the sexies. I've already got a couple of people wanting sexies from me, if it works out. It depends on how many I can raise from the first batch I try. I will take at least 5 of them and put them in this tank, so they can start breeding too... Then I'll start up a larger tank to raise the next babies...... If it all works! fingerscrossed

Heh, our other cat is about a year younger than the b&w cat, and he is a CRAZY! I call him Spaz because he is spastic! One minute he'll be sleeping, the next he'll be begging for love, the next he'll be biting your hand off and running up the walls. :scarry:

noobofreefs
I think the largest tank I would go up to would be 75 or 90, but in reality... 40 would be my limit. Like you said, water changes would be a pain, and I don't like the idea of skimming and dosing, so I'm sticking with nanos.

Hope I'll be able to raise some of the sexies. I've already got a couple of people wanting sexies from me, if it works out. It depends on how many I can raise from the first batch I try. I will take at least 5 of them and put them in this tank, so they can start breeding too... Then I'll start up a larger tank to raise the next babies...... If it all works! fingerscrossed

Heh, our other cat is about a year younger than the b&w cat, and he is a CRAZY! I call him Spaz because he is spastic! One minute he'll be sleeping, the next he'll be begging for love, the next he'll be biting your hand off and running up the walls. :scarry:

Dosing and skimming difficulties are overrated I think. Dosing is all about finding out what/when you need to dose and how much, but after that it's pretty simple. I already have to dose my RSM. The thing that scares me about big tanks are the plumbing involved. I would have next to no clue how to set-up a regular sump, let alone a closed loop. I've always wanted a ~200 G tank. Don't really know why but the idea of having that much tank to look at just amazes me.

Hope you can raise those sexies! That'd be really cool! Maybe one day you'll have a whole SS buissness...

That is just like my cat. Sometimes he wants nothing to do with us, others he bothers us for attention, sometimes he's in this weird mood where if we say something to him he meows and his mouth quivers. It's really funny. But he loves clawing and biting my hand. Oh and he HATES the outside. My old cats loved it but for some reason he's so afraid to set food outside. Talk about house cat...

NOR

irishtexan

You have to keep us post on how the sexy shrimp babies do! If you get a good batch, send some my way! :)

-texx

That's a cool 'whatchamycallit' thing! I bet there are still MANY critters of the deep YET to be named/ identified. Hey- you should name it 'Lalanis' LOL

Dosing and skimming difficulties are overrated I think. Dosing is all about finding out what/when you need to dose and how much, but after that it's pretty simple. I already have to dose my RSM. The thing that scares me about big tanks are the plumbing involved. I would have next to no clue how to set-up a regular sump, let alone a closed loop. I've always wanted a ~200 G tank. Don't really know why but the idea of having that much tank to look at just amazes me.

Hope you can raise those sexies! That'd be really cool! Maybe one day you'll have a whole SS buissness...

That is just like my cat. Sometimes he wants nothing to do with us, others he bothers us for attention, sometimes he's in this weird mood where if we say something to him he meows and his mouth quivers. It's really funny. But he loves clawing and biting my hand. Oh and he HATES the outside. My old cats loved it but for some reason he's so afraid to set food outside. Talk about house cat...

NOR

I just like to keep my tanks as simple as possible, so, for me, keeping smaller tanks is easier. :D

Also, like you said, the plumbing is a big issue!

I don't know if I could go into business breeding sexies, but I think it's going to be not only rewarding, but fun.

And I could go on forever about my kitties, but I won't. I just got a new job today (nothing fancy, but it is an income that I can use to put money into my photo business and addictions) and my boss has a cat at work. I have a feeling that Spooky will be distracting! :lol:

You have to keep us post on how the sexy shrimp babies do! If you get a good batch, send some my way! :)

-texx

Righto, you're on my list! ;)

That's a cool 'whatchamycallit' thing! I bet there are still MANY critters of the deep YET to be named/ identified. Hey- you should name it 'Lalanis' LOL

Don't scare me, Marie! :P

Actually, I think the life that comes out of the rock is the best part about reef tanks.

Hey, when are you going to start a tank thread already????

el fabuloso

Awww... did you miss me? I've been everywhere, mostly the east coast where people gave me lot of germs and I came home stricken with east coast flu. <_<

One month update!!!

Yup, it's been set up for a month already! Everything is doing great, coralline is growing on the back wall, and just waiting for the female sexy shrimp to release her babies. :D

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Ahhh it looks beautiful. Such an amazing variety of colors and the composition of everything is perfect! Grrr you already have coralline growth after a month, lucky, lol.

I love these too, wow.

IMG_0663.jpg

Lalani,

I am sooooooooooooooo envious of that nano. We'll have to see if your not-yet-patented "Lalani Waterfall Surface Skimming" method works on my 9 gallon!

Lalani,

I am sooooooooooooooo envious of that nano. We'll have to see if your not-yet-patented "Lalani Waterfall Surface Skimming" method works on my 9 gallon!

Ditto I am envious of your nano. Seriously that tank rocks.

Wow! That's cool Lalani! Any idea what are the colour of those eggs? Maybe I can observe mine too :happy:

Would stick to your thread and watch your progress.

Ahhh it looks beautiful. Such an amazing variety of colors and the composition of everything is perfect! Grrr you already have coralline growth after a month, lucky, lol.

I love these too, wow.

Thanks Colin, I'm so happy about the coralline spreading so quickly... it's even growing in sheets on some of the rocks! :D

And those zoas are also in the 20H, but they look so different.

Lalani,

Wow, thank you so much! :blush:

Can't wait to see your 9gal. :)

Ditto I am envious of your nano. Seriously that tank rocks.

Thank you!!

Wow! That's cool Lalani! Any idea what are the colour of those eggs? Maybe I can observe mine too :happy:

Would stick to your thread and watch your progress.

:D The eggs start off a reddish color, then turn a little opaque, then back to red again. You can usually see a couple sticking out.

Archived