Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lalani's Pico Upgrade

Lalani

I have to say that you have some of the most amazing tanks, your rockwork is a great inspiration to those starting out. If I can have a tank half as successful as this I would be really happy. By the way what is your maintenance routine on this one?

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thank you so much! :)

I do a 1 gallon water change every week, and scrub the glass when need be... that's it! Mom feeds it once a day with flake food.

• 2 weeks later...
haha.. thats so cute.. its so lite it doesn't even weigh down the algae

They are cute, aren't they. Got a few of them. :)

Awsome tank. Kinda makes me wanna downsize instead of upgrade.

Cool, thanks!

New fish!

3 masked gobies and they seem happy... and with big appetites already. :D

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

el fabuloso
I love your tank. Where did you get the masked gobies from? Those are great.

+1! Inquiring minds would like to know! :happy:

:D Wow your tank looks amazing!!

I love your feather dusters, and just have to know where you got the brown one (did it happen to be from SeaLifeInc??). I have a green one just like yours in my BC8, but that other one you have looks perfect in your tank.

They are cute, aren't they. Got a few of them. :)

Cool, thanks!

New fish!

3 masked gobies and they seem happy... and with big appetites already. :D

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

o my god :wub: those are awesome. Nice shots too :)

O_O Your tank looks better after one month than mine does after 5, haha! (I'm still quite the noob... heh)

Great build. If you do ever build and sell those tanks (I thought I read that in an earlier page? I was kinda skimming...) I think I would be interested. :)

Really pretty tank.

:D Wow your tank looks amazing!!

I love your feather dusters, and just have to know where you got the brown one (did it happen to be from SeaLifeInc??). I have a green one just like yours in my BC8, but that other one you have looks perfect in your tank.

The feather dusters came from a fish store in Mobile, AL. I was there, visiting relatives, and brought the dusters back with me.

Amazing tank Lalani. Looking forward to watching it progress.

-Prof

Thank you. :)

o my god :wub: those are awesome. Nice shots too :)

I luv them too. :wub:

What kind of behavior do those gobies have? (I love them too!!)

They have only been in the tank for a little over two days, but they aren't very shy, thankfully. Most of the time they are either hovering over the sand, sitting on the rocks, or hovering in the water column.

O_O Your tank looks better after one month than mine does after 5, haha! (I'm still quite the noob... heh)

Great build. If you do ever build and sell those tanks (I thought I read that in an earlier page? I was kinda skimming...) I think I would be interested. :)

Really pretty tank.

Hehe, thanks. I stocked it pretty quickly because everything fairly established already.

I think I mentioned how we could build and sell the furniture, but the tank is so super easy that you can do it yourself. All you need is a 10gal. aga tank, glass or acrylic false wall, drill bit for the hole, and silicone. :)

Wow I just saw the whole thread and I love your tank. I definitely want a pair of sexy shrimp they are so Cute! I like the gobies too. Great Tank

Very nice tank - thanks for posting the information so we could follow along.

I have an extra 10 gallon tank and I'm thinking of doing something with it, possibly doing a false wall with surface skimming as you have done.

Now that you're nearing two months of operation, is there anything you would do different if you were going to do it again?

Why did you choose glass for your partition? Because you plan to scrape? Do you think it is better than plastic in other regards?

thanks,

hank

Awesome tank and fish... Sweeeet...

Thank you!

Now that you're nearing two months of operation, is there anything you would do different if you were going to do it again?

Why did you choose glass for your partition? Because you plan to scrape? Do you think it is better than plastic in other regards?

Thanks Hank! The only thing that I would change about this take is: I wish I could have gotten the blue krylon fusion to stick to the back of the false wall. I think it would have looked 10x better had there been a blue background. Other than that, it's just as I want it and mom is really happy with it. :)

As for the glass, I chose to use it for the false wall in case I want to scrape it later on. It seems as though the coraline algae is growing faster on the back side... I'm assuming it's because the flow is faster where the water is falling. So if the coraline doesn't grow well on the inside, I can scrape it clean, but I'm not sure if I really will.

Another reason is that I feel it is more sturdy and I won't have to worry about any bowing. I wanted to make this thing feel permanent, and I think the glass wall does just that. :)

Those masked gobies look great!

They're doing great, except for the one in the top picture. You can see his tail fin is a bit frayed, well it's gotten slightly worse and I think he has a bit of an infection at the base of the tail. He's eating and active, I'll just give him time, if only the other two will leave him alone. He seems to be the punching bag out of the three. :(

Needreefunds

Just finished reading your thread. Congrats on a job well done!

Curious as to why the Krylon Fusion did not adhere to the false wall. I wonder if as the aquarium sealant cured, it actually softened / pulled the paint away?? Just a guess here. I know you were disappointed when it did that and I felt bad for you too. :( It did look awesome painted. But I'm sure it will look beautiful given time for coralline to grow.

All in all a great job, the stand, tank and thread too.

Thanks so much for posting this for us to enjoy.

Not to mention your pics are some of the best on NR.

Tagging along from here. :)

Curious as to why the Krylon Fusion did not adhere to the false wall. I wonder if as the aquarium sealant cured, it actually softened / pulled the paint away?? Just a guess here. I know you were disappointed when it did that and I felt bad for you too. :( It did look awesome painted. But I'm sure it will look beautiful given time for coralline to grow.

Aww, thanks nrf.

I don't think the silicone had much to do with the paint peeling because the paint was still holding on tight to half of the false wall... I had to scrape that part off with a razor blade and I struggled at that.

This is awesome Lalani! I love the amount of colors in simply the rock and macro algae.

Thanks! The rock did color up quickly, and I'll try to get some updated pics up tomorrow. :)

AdriftQuasar

I hadn't seen this thread and I just got caught up on it. I'm kind of sad that there isn't more to look at yet.

Great tank!

Archived