Coral Vue Hydros

HDR?!?!?!?

dshnarw

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
captianshellnutt

Okay, so I was just lurking around, stumbled onto this thread and am now really curious about photography. I have no experience about anything. I just know how to point and shoot on my sony camera. What is the best way to learn about photography to become proficient in the art of making a decent picture and using new technology short of going to art school? Any good books or web sites?

lakshwadeep

Try looking at Ansel Adam's work and other photos that you find interesting or captivating. Don't think that your sony camera is a hindrance to getting good pictures. I use photography mainly as a source of reference photos for artwork, but I feel that beautiful photos have many similarities to beautiful paintings.

This short article may be helpful:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/np101/gt0804-1.html

Okay, so I was just lurking around, stumbled onto this thread and am now really curious about photography. I have no experience about anything. I just know how to point and shoot on my sony camera. What is the best way to learn about photography to become proficient in the art of making a decent picture and using new technology short of going to art school? Any good books or web sites?

My advice: learn the basics of composition, memorize your camera's functions (and know how to use them correctly), then just shoot - thousands of photos, more the better.

Oh, and this site.

captianshellnutt
My advice: learn the basics of composition, memorize your camera's functions (and know how to use them correctly), then just shoot - thousands of photos, more the better.

Oh, and this site.

Thanks!

What a push-over! :P

Hey...I didn't say it wouldn't cost :P

I'll second Jer's advice since its working for me thus far - know the camera, take TONS of pictures. I've seen HUGE improvement in my own photographs just from learning ALL the camera functions on my P&S and taking it EVERYWHERE with me.

And I'll add in, don't be afraid to ask questions. This thread has been a HUGE help to me and hopefully others just from asking a simple "am I stupid, or...?"**

**no, you don't need to answer that

HecticDialectics

Those just look like fake digitally rendered photos to me... :P Is that what all HDR looks like?

Cool though!

HecticDialectics
Yeah, there's realistic HDR (look for my Red Rock thread here), then there's artistic HDR. It's all in the post-processing.

s.e, maybe Google would provide more answers? ;)

:lol: well then... I guess they were supposed to look fake?

It depends. Daniel's images from hawaii represent what most people think og when they see HDR - an artistic impression of a scene based on it's full dynamic range. My images, by contrast, are more realistic; I use the dynamic range offered from three or more exposures to repair blown shadows and highlights and to add dimension (here)

It's art, just go with it. :)

HecticDialectics
It's art, just go with it. :)

I love them. No other set of images has ever made me feel so conflicted, yet so sure.

:lol: This whole topic amuses me now :)

It's really all about personal preference - I think Jeremai said it earlier in the thread that no matter what kind of image you end up with, artsy or realistic, it has to start out as a good photo. After that, whatever way you take it is a matter or artistic preference and image manipulation abilities. I like to think of the "artsy" HDR (not a fan of that term - isn't photography art??) as the surrealist side of photography...and well...I'm a Dali fan :P

I love the realistic photos like Jeremai's. HDR gives them a wonderful sense of depth - makes the image look 3dimensional, gives it just that little extra flare. The other side for me is that the "artsy" HDR reminds me of the kinds of paintings/drawings/sculptures that I would buy...to a point. I'm not a fan of the stuff that gets much more unrealistic than the stuff I've done...but thats just not my artistic preference. :) Some of the stuff on HDRcreme is too much for even me.

:lol: This whole topic amuses me now :)

It's really all about personal preference - I think Jeremai said it earlier in the thread that no matter what kind of image you end up with, artsy or realistic, it has to start out as a good photo. After that, whatever way you take it is a matter or artistic preference and image manipulation abilities. I like to think of the "artsy" HDR (not a fan of that term - isn't photography art??) as the surrealist side of photography...and well...I'm a Dali fan :P

I love the realistic photos like Jeremai's. HDR gives them a wonderful sense of depth - makes the image look 3dimensional, gives it just that little extra flare. The other side for me is that the "artsy" HDR reminds me of the kinds of paintings/drawings/sculptures that I would buy...to a point. I'm not a fan of the stuff that gets much more unrealistic than the stuff I've done...but thats just not my artistic preference. :) Some of the stuff on HDRcreme is too much for even me.

+1. I enjoy both ends of the spectrum.Heres the photo i meant to post this one is definitely over the top but i like it.

citytest1testcopy.jpg

Here are a few more, again with varying degrees of processing, but a few more realistic ones :)

Hanalei Valley, Kauai (if you've seen postcards of the taro fields with mountains in the background shot from above the valley, I'm basically standing at the foot of the cliff where those photos are taken):

IMG_3030hdr.jpg

Kiluea Lighthouse, Kauai:

IMG_3164hdr.jpg

Ninini Point Lighthouse, Kauai:

IMG_3249hdr.jpg

Closer on the Makapu'u Lighthouse, Oahu:

IMG_3905hdr.jpg

More tourists coming to paradise. From Ninini Point, Kauai:

IMG_3269hdr.jpg

Ripplemarks at Waimea Beach, Oahu:

IMG_3612hdr.jpg

Chopper at Makapu'u Point, Oahu:

IMG_3945hdr.jpg

The view from the cottage door, Hau'ula, Oahu:

IMG_3963hdr.jpg

Thanks jer and david.

Yes, they're all single image HDRs. I haven't gotten to the multi-image HDRs yet :)

Lalani, you always pick out my favorite shot in a series :) I was planning to take pics of the sunset from the cottage, but it looked like crap, so the waves breaking became the second (and better) choice. That was no more than 5 feet from the door of the cottage :D

I'm fond of more abstract images. :)

Good job on getting such a fantastic shot, even though you were photographing the sunset!

Must have been nice to stay so close to the water.

How did the little lady like it???

I'm fond of more abstract images. :)

Good job on getting such a fantastic shot, even though you were photographing the sunset!

Must have been nice to stay so close to the water.

How did the little lady like it???

The little lady loved it. ;)

Archived