Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HDR?!?!?!?

dshnarw

So I was trying to figure out HDR today, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

This was made from 3 images, but the lights didn't come out well.

widescreen2.jpg

Also from 3 images, wind was whipping around so some branches are screwed up in the compiling, but other than that, is this closer to what I should expect?

overflow4.jpg

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, without seeing the original images, it's hard to say. How much better do those photos look than the correctly metered exposure? They both look fairly typical of a good single exposure, to me.

What are you using to merge them?

Well, without seeing the original images, it's hard to say. How much better do those photos look than the correctly metered exposure? They both look fairly typical of a good single exposure, to me.

What are you using to merge them?

I'll work on resizing the original images in a little while to show you...but not much better, really.

I just took another set that I'm gonna try that I think will work better.

Photoshop CS3

Are you using the automated HDR merging in CS3? If so, you won't get any good results. -_-

There are a few free programs out there that do a better job, but you could always merge them 'by hand'.

Are you using the automated HDR merging in CS3? If so, you won't get any good results. -_-

There are a few free programs out there that do a better job, but you could always merge them 'by hand'.

^ +1 on CS3's HDR feature. Google a program called Photomatix, you'll get a million times better results, guaranteed!

well thats good to know. I'll try again with Photomatix and see what happens.

Good luck. The trial of Photomatix does a great job on its own, but if you really like it, buy the full version - it gives you a lot more lattitude in the tone mapping stage. But yeah, run those first two sets through the trial and compare the results. I think you'll be surprised. :)

Good luck. The trial of Photomatix does a great job on its own, but if you really like it, buy the full version - it gives you a lot more lattitude in the tone mapping stage. But yeah, run those first two sets through the trial and compare the results. I think you'll be surprised. :)

OMG SO MUCH BETTER!!

PS CS3:

overflow4.jpg

Photomatix:

overflow.jpg

Thanks guys!

yes, yes....MUCH nicer :)

It's funny...I get a pic off the camera, "oh...great color!"

Process an image "Oh wow...much nicer color!"

Now, after one successful HDR attempt, and I'm staring at the original file going "there's color in that??"

Anyhoo - here's the other one. As I suspected, I need to work on bracketing, but the details in the grass are quite nice:

widescreen2.jpg

and before for comparison:

widescreen2.jpg

dshnarw, you may want to play around with the curves on the 16 bit files, to try and restore some detail to the highlights. The skies and the water are a bit blown out.

But yeah, when you see the full dynamic range, the colors really do take on a whole new life. :)

dshnarw, you may want to play around with the curves on the 16 bit files, to try and restore some detail to the highlights. The skies and the water are a bit blown out.

But yeah, when you see the full dynamic range, the colors really do take on a whole new life. :)

yeah...I just wanted to try out the technique first. Messing with curves takes me forever, so I usually leave it alone and live with blown highlights in normal shots. I still suck at Photoshop.

In other news...I shouldn't mess with animations when I'm bored:

overflow.gif

Try the Shadows & Highlights adjustment in PS - you may be able to restore the blowouts without messing with the curves, much more user-friendly.

Try the Shadows & Highlights adjustment in PS - you may be able to restore the blowouts without messing with the curves, much more user-friendly.

Thats much easier. Thanks! I'll see what I can get with that.

In the meantime - view from the student union around 1am last night. Looks so much like a drawing :)

union1_x.jpg

Very cool, I might try some HDRs and star trails tonight if the sky is clear. :)

You gave me the photo bug and I checked to see if I had any Dektol left in my darkroom equipment. I was going to try and do some wide-angle pinhole shots of my reef tank.... But alas, no Dektol. :(

Very cool, I might try some HDRs and star trails tonight if the sky is clear. :)

You gave me the photo bug and I checked to see if I had any Dektol left in my darkroom equipment. I was going to try and do some wide-angle pinhole shots of my reef tank.... But alas, no Dektol. :(

:lol: Well, I'm excited to see what comes out :)

It's so nice to be able to take night-shots and have them turn out :)

oh...and one more :P

The student union:

STAMP_HDR_x.jpg

Purdy. You're a fast learner, lol.

Thanks :) Learned a lot today...HDR, how to remove watermarks, how to recover blown out details, how to make cheesy gif animations...

I really like the one of the comcast center. :)

me too...not bad for taking pics from the sunroof of my car :)

maybe tomorrow will be learning how to get rid of the halos from the lights.

Archived