Pod Your Reef

HDR?!?!?!?

dshnarw

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So no one knows why the Photomatix ones are way more yellow?

I think this was jeremai's answer:

But yeah, when you see the full dynamic range, the colors really do take on a whole new life. :)

I can't give anything better than that really, since I don't know HDR that well yet. My attempt would be: HDR saturates all the colors, and you're just noticing the yellows because it's the biggest difference from before to after.

summers.enemy

Aah, thanks! I didn't read that as being in response to my question.

So next question, you can take the saturation up on any picture (or make it as nasty yellow looking as you want) and that doesn't make it HDR. So what exactly DOES make a picture a HDR picture? I always assumed more tonal ranges in the shadows and highlights... but I don't see that in a lot of things labeled "HDR". So now I am confused. :D

Well, no camera, film or digital, can capture the entire dynamic range of a scene - all of its highlights and shadows, as well as the different tones in its colors. When you take three different exposures of the same scene, you are capturing three entirely different dynamic ranges. The point of combining them is to see the entire dynamic range of a scene at once; to see in print something that closely resembles what our eyes see in reality. If you saw the full-size comparisons, more than just increases in saturation would be apparent. The HDR's aren't 'more yellow', but they are instead revealing the true tones that the single exposures lacked.

Make sense? :)

The auto tone mapping you get with the trial works great for getting your feet wet, though. You can always tweek the 16 bit file later in PS.

I think some of the most dramatic HDR photos are done during cloudy days. Normally photos taken on those days will end up with blown out highlights, mostly the sky, and pretty dull colors in the shadows. But after merging different exposures into a HDR image, it really becomes more like the way the human eye sees it.

Note: None of these photos were taken by me!

subaru_HDR_3_by_exxx2005.jpg

Room_hdr_by_alex12m.jpg

in_Memorian_by_afvoetomath.jpg

HDR_by_Gummiente07.jpg

HDR_breakfastroom_by_Squadz2000.jpg

summers.enemy

Those all look like drawings to me... *gets even more confused*

And I have never seen yellow pavement as in the picture of the car! If anything, these HDR photos look very fake compared to how I see things with my eye.

lakshwadeep
I think I'm getting the hang of this :)

A couple more of campus:

bldg_HDR_x.jpg

COMCAST_HDR_x.jpg

I also re-re-redid the first few, and a few other new ones in the slideshow: http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/ar...mview=slideshow

Wow! Those look exactly like the "modern" architectural renderings I've seen from guest architects at my class. Especially Antoine Predock's National Palace Museum of Taiwan (link):

npm1.jpg

archind.jpg

Yeah, there's realistic HDR (look for my Red Rock thread here), then there's artistic HDR. It's all in the post-processing.

s.e, maybe Google would provide more answers? ;)

And I have never seen yellow pavement as in the picture of the car! If anything, these HDR photos look very fake compared to how I see things with my eye.

The yellow hue can be fixed during or after processing, but only you have to know what you are doing as it takes a bit of tweaking.

And like Jeremai said, the look of the end product all depends on how much post-processing is done.

subaru_HDR_3_by_exxx2005.jpg

OMG THAT IS NICE! I'll have to send that to a friend who races his Sube.

:lol: I kinda like both sides of things - artsy and realism. I've been trying to do two pics for each HDR to show both sides, and then pick out the one I like the best. Or, with my car, kinda mixing both worlds together - the car seems fairly realistic to me, and the rest seems more like a drawing. Anyhoo...works for some people, not for others I guess :)

Wow! Those look exactly like the "modern" architectural renderings I've seen from guest architects at my class. Especially Antoine Predock's National Palace Museum of Taiwan (link):

npm1.jpg

archind.jpg

Wow...I wouldn't go THAT far...but thanks for the self-esteem boost :) I LOVE Predock's architecture

I had someone actually ask for a print last night!! The first time I've ever "sold" a photo :wacko: . "Sold" because it's more of a trade - he's watching my fish tank for a month during the wedding/honeymoon. But still...someone actually WANTED to put it on their wall!! :huh:

This is as close as I could get out here, lol. :lol:

041805.jpg

WOW!! :blink: Thats very pretty. Hmmmmm, maybe Daniel and I need to go there for a vacation. It looks like a good place for pictures. :)

WOW!! :blink: Thats very pretty. Hmmmmm, maybe Daniel and I need to go there for a vacation. It looks like a good place for pictures. :)

Thanks. That's at Pine Creek Canyon at the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, about a half hour from the Strip. They say the ponderosas are remnants of the last ice ace; they usually don't grow this far down, about 2500'. It's an easy, flat 2mi hike into the canyon, and the little stream runs year-round. It's always a bit cooler in there, too - usually 85 or 90 in the middle of the day, as opposed to 100 or 110 in the rest of the valley. It was only 57 when I was there this morning though, lol.

And yeah, there is an embarassment of photo ops all over Red Rock. A veritable smorgie! Highly recommended, just bring chap-stik. :)

Archived