Cultivated Reef

HDR?!?!?!?

dshnarw

85 or 90 in the middle of the day

I'm sure that feels good out there, but GEEZ - it's 85 here right now and I'm dying...

Nice pic!

Would be a good vacation out there. I'd like to see the various Cirque du Soleil shows as well as do all the nearby geology/photo-ops. Closest I've been is Lehman Caves at Great Basin.

A couple more attempts on campus. No shortage of buildings and oddities around here:

helicopter_HDR_x.jpg

bridge_HDR_x.jpg

This is as close to a waterfall as I could get this week (pope in town = me not driving anywhere I don't have to), but at least I'm getting good practice on long exposures for the silky flow effect:

paintbranch_HDR_x.jpg

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shots, that blue on the helicopter really stands out. What time of day are you taking your photo sets?

Don't worry about the heat here, it's dry, no humidity! :P But when the temp drops 15 degrees from 100 over the course of a two mile hike, trust me, it feels like a brisk Autumn morning.

The geology of the area is fascinating to me, and I don't even really understand it, lol. Lots of thrusting and faulting, that's all I know. :o

Nice shots, that blue on the helicopter really stands out. What time of day are you taking your photo sets?

Don't worry about the heat here, it's dry, no humidity! :P But when the temp drops 15 degrees from 100 over the course of a two mile hike, trust me, it feels like a brisk Autumn morning.

The geology of the area is fascinating to me, and I don't even really understand it, lol. Lots of thrusting and faulting, that's all I know. :o

Thanks. I think they're slowly getting better...I hope?

That last set was between 8 and 10pm.

I need to go out west then...after it gets above 78 or so, I'm drenched in sweat here...always muggy.

:lol: Geology jokes...places we don't want to go ;)

I don't know the area around there much either...I stick to volcanoes generally.

ok...ok....

my favorite geology slogan:

"subduction leads to orogeny"

They just get cornier and cornier from there.

I don't know the area around there much either...I stick to volcanoes generally.

Ah, that explains why you were in the Great Basin, I imagine. We're mostly sedimentary down here, all the igneous stuff is further North. Ancient seabed ftw!

But back to the geology jokes! :lol:

I posted this in the Red Rock thread, but I'll put it here as well for posterity. The sky being blown out, even with +/-2 exposure increments, is another reason why more exposures are always better. But hey, the ridge was backlit by a sunrise, what could I do? :rolleyes:

041811s.jpg

These just keep getting better. :)

Your turn!

Good shot, Jeremai.

I have seen some HDRs compiled with 6+ exposures, and they are very realistic at that level, but that much more work. :D

Today was a crappy, rainy day, so I couldn't try any. I was stuck on the computer, making some images of little kids look 'old' instead... Wish I had some interesting landscapes like you guys, but I'll have to try something different here. Hopefully I'll have a chance to visit one of the nearby swamps tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do, even though they won't be nearly as good as these!

Good shot, Jeremai.

I have seen some HDRs compiled with 6+ exposures, and they are very realistic at that level, but that much more work. :D

Today was a crappy, rainy day, so I couldn't try any. I was stuck on the computer, making some images of little kids look 'old' instead... Wish I had some interesting landscapes like you guys, but I'll have to try something different here. Hopefully I'll have a chance to visit one of the nearby swamps tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do, even though they won't be nearly as good as these!

:mellow: <--patiently waiting :P

A few single shot images around campus:

this look too busy?

paintbranch2_x.jpg

a view of the View Apartments:

paintbranch_HDR_x2.jpg

this is the bridge in daylight (leads from campus to the apartment building above^^

bridge2_x.jpg

:mellow: <--patiently waiting :P

Don't give me any chit! :P

I still haven't had a chance to get out and take pictures... :tears:

Good shots.. I think the first one does not have a clear subject, but damn that's some clear water!

The second one, I would have used a wide angle lens to take a shot looking down at the tree, with the building filling the top 1/3 section. Great lighting though.

The bridge shot is beautiful. :)

I think the first two shots would benefit from being closer to the trees in the water, like Lalani said, and making them the foreground interest. I second her on the bridge.

Don't hesitate to take off those shoes, roll up your jeans, and get in the water..... I got plenty of strange looks from people when I took pictures on campus. :lol:

Thanks guys. I didn't get the chance to jump in that time - we were checking stream levels to make sure we could do the field trip (wait til I get those photos...undergrads in chest-high waders!!) and heading back for the usual round of Friday meetings

Assuming it isn't storming tomorrow, I'll be out there in my swim trunks teaching the field trip, so camera and uw housing will be tagging along :)

I'm finally getting used to the weird looks on campus :) Night is still the best time though - not so darned many people in the middle of my picture.

I'm finally getting used to the weird looks on campus :) Night is still the best time though - not so darned many people in the middle of my picture.

I have the opposite problem - I'm itching to take some night shots of the Strip, but the tourists are an obstacle I'm leery about tackling. :(

But hey, stick a ND filter on your camera and lengthen the shutter speed to a second or more - anything moving in the frame will be rendered invisible, even in broad daylight, as long as the movement isn't directed straight for at camera.

I have the opposite problem - I'm itching to take some night shots of the Strip, but the tourists are an obstacle I'm leery about tackling. :(

But hey, stick a ND filter on your camera and lengthen the shutter speed to a second or more - anything moving in the frame will be rendered invisible, even in broad daylight, as long as the movement isn't directed straight for at camera.

:lol: Midnight on the Strip...I can just imagine that :wacko:

The camera does have a built in ND filter that I've only used a couple of times, like with the storms. I really should turn it on more often, but it seems to work pretty well.

Would a graduated ND filter have worked to get both the sky and the rock exposed? You might have had to change the composition a bit though. I'm not a photographer but enjoy reading about this stuff.

I posted this in the Red Rock thread, but I'll put it here as well for posterity. The sky being blown out, even with +/-2 exposure increments, is another reason why more exposures are always better. But hey, the ridge was backlit by a sunrise, what could I do? :rolleyes:

041811s.jpg

Your turn!

Would a graduated ND filter have worked to get both the sky and the rock exposed? You might have had to change the composition a bit though. I'm not a photographer but enjoy reading about this stuff.

Yeah, the more I look at that photo, the more I wish I could have changed it, lol. The sun was just barely coming up, so the sky was actually white, there's no fixing that. In order to get the multiple exposure values for the foreground I had to suffer with the sky blowing out the tops of the red cliffs and obscuring partially the edges of the bluffs in the distance. I like the composition, so I'm not sure a graduated ND filter would have worked for me. It was kinda win-lose.

This is as good as I can do on small streams right now. The flooding has rendered the others NASTY with trash and this one (running through the middle of campus) was, ironically, the cleanest I could find.

orig.jpg

Hey Lalani...we're holding our breath over here... :P

Hey Lalani...we're holding our breath over here... :P

:tears: I plan on trying some tomorrow. I promise!

Very nice shot, btw. The rust color on the rocks is beautiful, especially complementing the green leaves. :)

It's raining. :angry:

I was able to run outside for 5 minutes, and this was the only half-decent exposure I managed to get. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better and I will be able to take a road trip. I'm a complete fraud, I know. :(

IMG_9366_7_8.jpg

Hey, that's a wonderful composition with really beautiful colors. I love the overcast sky. The image focus has a bit of the magic-eye effect going on though.

I was able to run outside for 5 minutes, and this was the only half-decent exposure I managed to get. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better and I will be able to take a road trip. I'm a complete fraud, I know. :(

IMG_9366_7_8.jpg

:tears: I plan on trying some tomorrow. I promise!

Very nice shot, btw. The rust color on the rocks is beautiful, especially complementing the green leaves. :)

The rust is pretty cool...the rocks are actually green, even weathered. But I was taking the pic from under a rusty bridge similar to the one in one of the other pics that had turned the rocks bright red.

IMG_9366_7_8.jpg

I like it :) Maybe tomorrow the rain will hold off for you.

Well, it kinda gave me a headache, but in a good, Orange Julius-sorta way. :)

Couple from yesterday:

anna10.jpg

anna8.jpg

Thanks for the words of encouragement, you guys. :P

There is still around a 50% chance of rain tomorrow, but I'm hoping it will stop long enough for me to go to a few places.

Fantastic shots, Jeremai, especially the first one. The comp and tones are perfect. Your style reminds me of a photog I used to know years ago. He lived in San Fransisco, but a good bit of his photography focused on the deserts. :)

Edit: Here is his gallery. I think you would enjoy his photos. :)

http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/galle...?user_id=145839

You might want to start on the last page and work your way forward, because he got more into graffitti towards the 'end.'

Archived