Top Shelf Aquatics

HDR?!?!?!?

dshnarw

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. It's a little 10x10ft house, the only family home left standing from the bust in 1909. The BLM renovated it and added plate glass replicas of the original windows.

I only brought one lens, a 70-300. That definitely made compositions more difficult, but I was happy for the challenge. :wacko:

Another:

rhyolite15a.jpg

so whats with the bike statue thing in that last one? :unsure:
From Rhyolite Ghost Town

My guess is it has something to do with the "Ghost Town" part? :unsure:

Nice shots jer.thumbsup.gif

Looks like the single lens worked pretty well for you. I use only the 28-135mm when doing general stuff.

That bike statue is kinda funky. :D

I noticed recently that maybe 80-90% of the photos I take are vertical.... Have you guys noticed what orientation you favor?

landscape:portrait = 95:5 for me, but IM really trying to change that because I have a lot of pics that would have been way better in portrait...the vertical grip is helping a lot with that for me

great shots jer! 6a for me too, and the doors :)

so whats with the bike statue thing in that last one? :unsure:

My guess is it has something to do with the "Ghost Town" part? :unsure:

Nice shots jer.thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's an art installation from the 80s. The artist had a friend hold the pose while he draped him in plaster-soaked burlap. When the plaster dried the friend was removed and the result is what you see. There is also a replica of the Last Supper using the same technique behind where I was standing when I took that photo. I have more non-HDR shots of the ghost town and the gallery, I'll get them posted to my blog sometime today.

Looks like the single lens worked pretty well for you. I use only the 28-135mm when doing general stuff.

I noticed recently that maybe 80-90% of the photos I take are vertical.... Have you guys noticed what orientation you favor?

I'd say I'm 50/50 or close to it. So many people shoot landscape, I guess I want something unique. Although I'll tell you, in every shot I took yesterday (except those of the doors) I did two exposures, one landscape and one portrait. Just to be safe. :)

lat - Yeah, I'm loving the vertical grip on mine. Makes it so much easier!

Jer - Hmm, good idea on taking two shots for each subject, but I'm such a spaz when it comes to taking photos. Kinda just do things on a whim and don't really think about it. :wacko:

Well, I just got a new 4gb Kingston card, I wanted to see if I could fill it up with 400 photos in an hour. :)

A few more posted to my blog, btw.

18-55mm for me. But the G9 is always in my back pocket if I need something a bit closer ;)

50/50 for me apparently - 45 landscape/45 portrait from the asylum photos that I kept.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's an art installation from the 80s. The artist had a friend hold the pose while he draped him in plaster-soaked burlap. When the plaster dried the friend was removed and the result is what you see. There is also a replica of the Last Supper using the same technique behind where I was standing when I took that photo. I have more non-HDR shots of the ghost town and the gallery, I'll get them posted to my blog sometime today.

Interesting...lol, enormous cinder block woman.

you really do have a thing for doors

lat - Yeah, I'm loving the vertical grip on mine. Makes it so much easier!

I didn't think it was that hard without a vertical grip *shrugs*

Well, we all know how jer will answer.....

prz no ban. :flower:

:lol:

I didn't think it was that hard without a vertical grip *shrugs*

Well it's not difficult without the grip, but the grip makes it easier to brace for shots because both arms are down. And it's more comfortable for me, since I shoot mainly verticals.

And ya, cinder block woman has a little badunkadunk, hehe.

Well it's not difficult without the grip, but the grip makes it easier to brace for shots because both arms are down. And it's more comfortable for me, since I shoot mainly verticals.

meh, tripod imo.

:unsure: assuming i stop breaking them :mellow:

^ mine, too. Actually, I brought it yesterday and made my best friend lug it around all day but I never actually used it, lol. Even at ISO100 and a 300mm focal length I was still getting shutter speeds close to or surpassing 1/500sec. I love the desert. :happy:

it isn't hard, but its more comfortable and easier on your arm/shoulders

probably not an issue for us twenty somethings, but is for older shooters

^ mine, too. Actually, I brought it yesterday and made my best friend lug it around all day but I never actually used it, lol. Even at ISO100 and a 300mm focal length I was still getting shutter speeds close to or surpassing 1/500sec. I love the desert. :happy:
it isn't hard, but its more comfortable and easier on your arm/shoulders

probably not an issue for us twenty somethings, but is for older shooters

suppose this responds to both posts...

meh, after packing rocks around for the last 4 years of research, tripods and cameras are nothing. :lol:

to be honest, portraits are more comfortable to shoot than landscapes to me - wrist position on the right hand is more relaxed.

I thought you were going to have more shots to show us, lat. *taps foot*

had seminar all weekend, if you want to know anything about head and neck anatomy and trauma, I can answer that, but nothing about photography until tomorrow afternoon

suppose this responds to both posts...

meh, after packing rocks around for the last 4 years of research, tripods and cameras are nothing. :lol:

to be honest, portraits are more comfortable to shoot than landscapes to me - wrist position on the right hand is more relaxed.

I was thinking more about the shoulder, but let's not distract from the thread I suppose

Archived