Cultivated Reef

The noobofreef's Red Sea Max

noobofreefs

CarterNichols
Those do not look like Tubs Blue ... check out my avatar for a comparison.

Unless mine is not Tubs Blue either ... lol ... I am pretty sure they are.

i think they look exactly the same, his just need to grow and extend more.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think they look exactly the same, his just need to grow and extend more.

Could be a morph? May be his is the original and mine is the morph? I thought tubs has a slightly darker blue and the skirt is dark brown and thicker ... I thought his was a different one. I will try to find it from zoaid.com and let you guys know ... again, may be his is the original Tubs Blue ...

I think the color changes based on lighting ... mine is under RSM T5 PC 55 W half/half x 2. at the sand bed.

noobofreefs

Mine actually look a little bit different now. They are more solid but I think Carter's right, once they just grow and extend it'll look more like yours. They're very new and actually very recently opened in that picture. Here's the zoaid link if your wondering: http://zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=41

Alright well the frags from stan should be coming in soon! :) Sadly one of the frags I received hasn't been doing all that well. I think it may have caught the pox :(. But it's alright because I dipped them yesterday and they look way better today. Hopefully they'll heal and look better soon. fingerscrossed.

On the other hand everything else has been doing great! The brain is really coloring up, all the zoas (aside from that one frag) look bigger and better every day, the torch and hammer seem more and more open, and the clowns spots are now almost gone.

Here's some pictures.

Crab molt:

0001__MG_8025-1.jpg

0002__MG_8027-1.jpg

Crab:

0004__MG_8039-1.jpg

Goby:

0003__MG_8036-1.jpg

0020__MG_8099-1.jpg

0022__MG_8108-1.jpg

0021__MG_8105-1.jpg

Conch I picked up:

0023__MG_8109-1.jpg

0024__MG_8112-1.jpg

0018__MG_8091-1.jpg

0019__MG_8093-1.jpg

Goin for a ride!

0005__MG_8041-1.jpg

Clowns:

0025__MG_8113-1.jpg

0026__MG_8118-1.jpg

CarterNichols
i think we may have seen each other at marine scene, i wasn't positive so i didn't want to say anything, were you with your dad and little sister? around 4ish?
noobofreefs

Brain:

0017__MG_8083-1.jpg

0016__MG_8082-1.jpg

0015__MG_8081-1.jpg

0014__MG_8079-1.jpg

The Eagle Eye's that are looking better:

0009__MG_8064-1.jpg

The frag that's not looking so good:

0008__MG_8049-1.jpg

0007__MG_8044-1.jpg

Torch, hammer, & zoas:

0013__MG_8071-1.jpg

0012__MG_8069-1.jpg

0011__MG_8067-1.jpg

0006__MG_8042-1.jpg

Skunk cleaner I picked up:

0010__MG_8066-1.jpg

NOR

daddyr1013

Tank looks great. I started my RSM Saturday and hope to have the success that you and steviet are having. I think I need a chiller before I get started though, my tank is running a little hot at times. Also can you guys post the links to the skimmer and top off unit you guys installed? I will start my own thread as I find the time, and I will also be keeping up with your guys. I do a little photography as a side Hobby also so I am looking forward to getting some pics up soon. Here is a pic of my little 7g I started with.

l_cf997b98ecbcab3b36fc92640252d2a4.jpg

lilredneckman

Hey NOR, my zoas have not been doing well at all lately and i have dipped them in lugols but they still look like cr@p! How long do you dip them in furan2 and how much water. I have the packet kinds that i got from my friend.

Hey NOR, my zoas have not been doing well at all lately and i have dipped them in lugols but they still look like cr@p! How long do you dip them in furan2 and how much water. I have the packet kinds that i got from my friend.

I have dipped before back in 2007. This is what i did.

1) 1 packet of Furan2 mix with 1/2 gallon of Fresh SW - dip 20 mins

2) dip it every day for 3 days

3) rest for 4 days

4) dip again if pox does not improve

5) always rinse with tank water before putting them back in your QT (don't bring them back to main tank until fully cured)

6) put in medium to high flow area to blow off the slime and other bad stuff ...

7) do water change for 10% in QT every day during the 3 days of dip ... I keep doing water change every other day afterwards ...

If you have zoa fungus afterwards ... I will frag them off ...

Some people do alternate furan2 and lugols dip ... I never tried that.

Good luck.

Sexy Shrimp

That skunk cleaner pic is good! I have never yet got one where the antennae are in focus... Nice tank too

noobofreefs
Tank looks great. I started my RSM Saturday and hope to have the success that you and steviet are having. I think I need a chiller before I get started though, my tank is running a little hot at times. Also can you guys post the links to the skimmer and top off unit you guys installed? I will start my own thread as I find the time, and I will also be keeping up with your guys. I do a little photography as a side Hobey also so I am looking forward to getting some pics up soon. He is a pic of my little 7g I started with.

l_cf997b98ecbcab3b36fc92640252d2a4.jpg

Cool, welcome to the ever growing club! Try setting your heater down a little bit under 78. Mine wasn't calibrated right, so I have it set at around 75/76 degrees and it keeps it stable at 79/80. See when it turns on and off compared to temperature, that should give you a good idea on how to set it.

My ATO is simply a jbj ATO with stevie's custom mag-float mod (very easy yet helpful). The JBJ can be found in tons of online stores and possible locally. Here's a link on the doctor's site: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=13959

My skimmer is the tunze 9002 and I run it with stevieT's custom made filtration rack. Here's the tunze: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...no_classic.html

I highly recommend all of them! If nothing else the tunze for sure. The skimmer with the tank is terrible, and this one rocks!

Good luck with your tank and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures up soon! The other tank looks great!

Right now I'm doing advice straight from my LFS guy who says he dips pretty consistently. I do 1/2 pack furan 2 w/ 1 gallon of water. I dip 5 minutes and repeat every other day. He said it should take about a week, then if it's not working try either increasing the dosage or iodine. I would suggest trying this and then possible alternating furan w/ iodine.

It just kinda sucks how everything I got locally is doing great and this one frag isn't. The other one I got from him is doing fine so I think the seller did a fine job, but I believe it just got sick from the stress of shipping.

Hopefully both of ours improve and get all better!

3) rest for 4 days

5) always rinse with tank water before putting them back in your QT (don't bring them back to main tank until fully cured)

6) put in medium to high flow area to blow off the slime and other bad stuff ...

7) do water change for 10% in QT every day during the 3 days of dip ... I keep doing water change every other day afterwards ...

Good luck.

Thanks for the idea. If my LFS guy's way doesn't pull through I'll be sure to try!

That skunk cleaner pic is good! I have never yet got one where the antennae are in focus... Nice tank too

Thanks L34NN3! Yeah this was a really good one, definitely one of my favorites. Thanks on the tank comment too!

NOR

lilredneckman

3) rest for 4 days

Good luck.

This is pretty much what i tired last night. Except i dipped them in 4 cups tankwater with one packet of furan2 for 2min. they actully looks way better this morning but none are open. i think i will have to dip them again tonight.

Right now I'm doing advice straight from my LFS guy who says he dips pretty consistently. I do 1/2 pack furan 2 w/ 1 gallon of water. I dip 5 minutes and repeat every other day. He said it should take about a week, then if it's not working try either increasing the dosage or iodine. I would suggest trying this and then possible alternating furan w/ iodine.

It just kinda sucks how everything I got locally is doing great and this one frag isn't. The other one I got from him is doing fine so I think the seller did a fine job, but I believe it just got sick from the stress of shipping.

Hopefully both of ours improve and get all better!

NOR

Well thanks! I pretty much did the same but with a much stronger dosage. I sure hope they improve!

I really love all of the pics you took! There so clear!

noobofreefs
This is pretty much what i tired last night. Except i dipped them in 4 cups tankwater with one packet of furan2 for 2min. they actully looks way better this morning but none are open. i think i will have to dip them again tonight.

Well thanks! I pretty much did the same but with a much stronger dosage. I sure hope they improve!

I really love all of the pics you took! There so clear!

I increased the dosage as well. Hope we both get some good results!

Ok, the frags came in today and look great. I'll post some pics tomorrow when they hopefully all open. (Quite a few are already)

Pics for now...

My crab and star got into a pretty epic fight...I hope they're both OK:

0002__MG_8122-1.jpg

0003__MG_8123-1.jpg

0013__MG_8146-1.jpg

0014__MG_8148-1.jpg

0015__MG_8151-1.jpg

0017__MG_8157-1.jpg

0020__MG_8163-1.jpg

Then the star decided it would be fun to steal food from the brain (I actually stopped him here)

0011__MG_8224-1.jpg

0010__MG_8223-1.jpg

Clowns:

0009__MG_8221-1.jpg

0008__MG_8220-1.jpg

0007__MG_8218-1.jpg

Skunk Cleaner:

0002__MG_8186-1.jpg

0001__MG_8185-1.jpg

Some pics of the pistol finally!

0005__MG_8210-1.jpg

gvfhjkl.jpg

Just a bunch of stuff: (But you can see the troubled frag :()

0009__MG_8132-1.jpg

0006__MG_8127-1.jpg

NOR

lilredneckman

great new pics! Cant wait to see more of the new frags. That one frag doesnt look THAT bad. I should have taken pics of my colony before i started dipping. i hope it recovers well!

noobofreefs

Thanks! One of the polyps actually started to open today! I think I'm going to try alternitevely dipping in lugols and furan to see if that helps at all.

Anyways here's some night time pics of my ric:

0005__MG_8252-1.jpg

0004__MG_8251-1.jpg

0003__MG_8250-1.jpg

0002__MG_8243-1.jpg

0001__MG_8241-1.jpg

NOR

noobofreefs

Yep they're doing great! They're funny because whenever I put my hand into the tank they like to swim near it but don't bite it. They just kinda hover around it. They seem really happy! Oh and the goby and pistol paired up finally! omgomgomg The pistol is making a bigger cave as we speak with the goby watching out. I'll post some pics when I get home. (Going somewhere...)

NOR

noobofreefs

Here's the pictures:

0004__MG_8305-1.jpg

0001__MG_8291-1.jpg

0002__MG_8293-1.jpg

!!!!!!!!FTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I promise I'll post one along with a sweet aussie and ric I got LFS shopping yesterday!

NOR

noobofreefs

Alright pics will be posted tomorrow sorry for the delay...

So some good things have been going on in the tank along with the bad

Good:

The messed up frag is opening up

I found THREE heads coming off the hammer

Goby is closer w/ the shrimp as ever

Rics are doing incredible. One has grown an extreme amount in such a short time

Acan looks sweet

Trumpet is so cool

Bad:

The skimmer broke. We had major micro bubbles and poor skimmate. They are sending a new one tomorrow on overnight I believe

Missing some trochus snails. Water params are perfect so I think the hermits are getting mean

Calc. is lower than I'd like so I need to dose more

And that's about it. Pics will come tomorrow as I said before.

NOR

CarterNichols
How did NOR post a FTS and I missed it!?! omgomgomg

Oh, wait... He didn't :rolleyes:

-hank

He is holding out on us. -_-

Archived