Top Shelf Aquatics

The noobofreef's Red Sea Max

noobofreefs

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trumpet is splitting too I think. It had four heads and now almost has 6. The baby heads on the dunkin have grown quite a lot. Hopefully they'll get bigger and we'll get some more baby heads.

Only bad thing is I haven't seen my cleaner shrimp in a while :(. I'm afraid he may be gone, but I'm hanging onto hope that he's just molting.

If you like to see babies, get an Aussie acan lord. Ours started with 3 polyps and 2 babies. The babies are almost fully grown and there are at least half a dozen more babies! Our trumpet is splitting too, but the pace is glacial compared to the acan.

fingerscrossed for the cleaner. I see ours all the time so I'd know right away if something was wrong. I found a moult in the tank and don't recall ever seeing it hiding. Well... It stays near the back of the tank, but when I feed it comes around the front pretty quickly. ;)

-hank

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys-

It's been awhile and yeah I'm still into it. School makes everything crazy so I don't have the time I would like for everything. I'll talk more in a little but all the fish and coral are still alive aside from one peppermint shrimp.

NOR

• 6 months later...
noobofreefs

Alright...

So its been like what..7 months since I came on here. It seems like a lot of the people I remember on here did the same thing, but there are many new people and some of the people I remember.

Anyways there's been a lot going on in the tank. The wrasse died for reasons unknown quite awhile back :( but the clowns and goby are still staying strong. Most of the coral is still around, but there have been some unfortunate losses. A lot of it has grown quite a bit. The hammer has gotten HUGE it is in two stalks and one has 10+ heads and one has around 5. B)

BUT the big news is that we found a hitchhiker. Now that was really unexpected considering I haven't added anything to the tank in around 5+ months probably. It also ended up being the king of all hitchhikers. A mantis shrimp.

We were able to see it by luring it out in the dark with a silverside and shining a flashlight in. The thing I really can't understand how he hasn't taken out any of my fish, or how he has lasted this long without me seeing him. This does explain why I have had trouble keeping hermit crabs because they always seem to "dissapear". It also may explain where my two emerald crabs ended up.

My tank has had the clicking noise for a long time (possibly since I've had LR but I doubt it). But because of my pistol shrimp I always associated it to him. I need to try to find a way to remove him, obviously. Any ideas on this would be very helpful. I may keep him in another tank but I'm unsure.

Now if anyone would like to help ID him it would be extremely helpful. We didn't have the chance to get any picture of him aside from his eyes peeking out from a hole in the rock. He is a reddish brown and from what I know about mantises he is a smasher, not spearer. He's probably 2-3 inches long and not very aggressive. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'll post something in the ID forum (as long as that's still around...) once we can get some picture of its actual body and not just the eyes.

I'll post some pictures of how the tank is doing at some point.

NOR

Archived