Top Shelf Aquatics

The noobofreef's Red Sea Max

noobofreefs

noobofreefs

Thanks for the compliments guys. B)

Alright, so on the tank. I found my first snail dead :(. He was upside down in the sand. At first I thought it was water quality because inverts passing away is a pretty good sign of bad water. So I checked everything. Ammonia and nitrite were 0. Nitrate was 5 or 10 its hard to tell the diff but closer to 5. Phates were .5, SG was 1.025 and temp got kinda high because a fan became unplugged but only to 81.9. So I know it wasn't water quality and that the snail didn't stink up my water. I decided that the poor dude must have fallen from the rocks and ended up upside down. In which case he was trying to flip himself over and something got to him. My guess either the stars, hermits, or emeralds. Either that or lack of food but I doubt that cuz there is still food.

Oh yeah and my pom-pom has been hiding more than usual.

But aside from those things everything has been going great, CUC has really helped algae and all tests have been good. I got my JBJ ATO in the mail yesterday so I'm gonna get that all set-up and running tomorrow :).

I also plan to add fish and coral tomorrow! My LFS is out of black clowns atm so I think I'm going to get some sort of goby. Any recommendations? And for my coral probably a zoa and maybe a ric or some other kind. Any recommendations again?

I also found some sort of hitchhiker on my powerhead look a little like aipista but I'm unsure.

Pics of everything will be up tomorrow or sat.

NOR

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
noobofreefs

Lalani: Thank you :flower:

Carter: Thanks, man. You heading over to that LFS soon? They have a sell on corals right now. Oh and I forgot to tell you, the best thing about that place is most, I'm not sure about all, of their coral is aquacultured.

Smarsh: Nice. I'm gonna check out that thread momentarily.

I picked up my first fish today! (After a water change of course) I decided on a YWG and a firefish. I'm on the wish list for the black clowns though B). I decided to hold off on corals and let my tank mature for at least another few days, more likely like a week. No reason to rush :).

Oh and btw do you guys think the goby will be ok w/o a pistol shrimp or do I really need to get one to make him happy?

I'll post some pics of everything tomorrow or sunday when everything is out and about.

I love these guys already. The firefish seems to still be a little stressed and a tad timid but I still like him and the goby is already a pretty funny character. He just kinda hangs out and munches on some sand every now and then.

I saw the pom-pom out and about today. He is the coolest little guy...

I'm gonna get my ATO up and running tomorrow. Need the right size tubing for the maxi-jet.

Anyways all is going well :)

NOR

EDIT: spelling :(

noobofreefs

Well guys I have some bad news on the goby...He hasn't looked 100% healthy since I got him. I think I found a problem that may be causing him this stress and all. I found a parasite on him, it looks like some sort of isopod. And he also has some weird things on him that remind me of warts of some sort. They look like little bumps. Also his fins haven't really been staying up. I don't think all this is from my tank because he looked like this when I bought him. Anyone know what I should do? I'm thinking about just taking him back since he was in bad condition when I bought him butr I also wonder if there's anyway I could keep him?

But the weird thing is that he is acting perfectly happy. He swims around and perches goes into a cave every now and then....

So in all I have a few questions...

What are these little "bumps" on him?

And what can I do with the parasite and any other way to try and nurse him back to health?

And, no I don't have the resources to set up a QT tank...

Help please

NOR

noobofreefs

Thanks, seedem but I think it was long since dead when I bought the LR. It'd be cool if it was able to come back but I don't think that'll happen. Still it gives the tank a little bit of color before the coral comes...

Thanks

NOR

CarterNichols

yo, sorry to hear about your goby, I would try isolated formalin treatments (quickcure has worked for me)

you can also try feeding food soaked in garlic so that he can possibly fight it off himself.

If you really need to you can borrow my tank that is empty to set up a qt.

on a lighter note:

i went to MS today and it was so awesome, i can't wait to start buying corals and such from them, not to mention they have some awesome fish! my flame angel is def. coming from there. I also painted my background on the 29 today so i am going to start my tank thread here shortly.

noobofreefs
yo, sorry to hear about your goby, I would try isolated formalin treatments (quickcure has worked for me)

you can also try feeding food soaked in garlic so that he can possibly fight it off himself.

If you really need to you can borrow my tank that is empty to set up a qt.

on a lighter note:

i went to MS today and it was so awesome, i can't wait to start buying corals and such from them, not to mention they have some awesome fish! my flame angel is def. coming from there. I also painted my background on the 29 today so i am going to start my tank thread here shortly.

Thanks, Carter. Yeah I have some quickcure from a freshwater tank that I could use. I also just found a small tank that was used forever ago as a hermit crab home. So do you all think it would work to run it bare (as the quickcure says) and treat him? I also considered a freshwater dip or hyper salinity dip. I'm not sure what I'll use yet. I wouldn't be able to do anything other than a freshwater dip tonight, though, because I' out of saltwater atm. So what do you guys think? (Oh and I figure I'll open a disease thread with this just for added support)

That's good dude! Can't wait to see your tank get set up. Glad you liked it there :). They really do have a good selection of corals and such. Oh yeah and sorry I couldn't let you know today. I got some sickness...it sucked, especially b/c I never really get sick. So I just stayed inside all day sleeping. I only got up to make those few posts and to look at the poor goby. I feel better now though (well since like 9 when I finally woke up)

Thanks

NOR

CarterNichols

You i wouldn't do any freshwater dip or Hyposalinity because it sounds like an internal problem, and don't treat him in the tank you keep him in, just get a small tupperware container treat him for like 5 mins then move him into the hermit tank and watch how he does for two weeks.. treat again with quickcure if it gets worse but i wouldn't move him a lot, that'll only add stress.

i would def. try the garlic.. that will help a lot.

yeah me too, it is finally coming together.. i didn't paint good enough so i am going to do a second coat and some paint around the edges tomorrow.

yo if you are still awake get online!

P.S- I made you this..

sig.jpg

noobofreefs

Thanks, Carter. It's in my sig B)

Alright guys on the goby...I have some bad news. He passed away today :tears:. I found my 2 seapent stars munching on him! I should've known after I had heard that they like to eat "slow moving, little, and especially sick fish" and that describes my goby...needless to say they're going back ASAP. Oh and I checked my levels just to see if they had anything to do w/ the goby or if he spiked them. They were the same as always.

On a lighter note my firefish seems content. He munches on pods all day long and swims in his corner that I believe he's claimed as his own. He hasn't eaten much food that I have added but he did he a little of the mysis/brine I put in for the goby. I also got my ATO up and running.

So when I go to my LFS to take back the brittle stars (Like Tuesday I think) I think I'll pick up a new goby. I was thinking maybe a yellow clown goby or something like that. Except this time I'll make sure he's healthy when I buy him. Guess I learned my lesson about careful buying!

Thanks,

NOR

noobofreefs
That's sad :(

btw, the picture in your tank link is the red sea, i thought that was pretty clever.

Yeah it is...

I didn't even notice! I just liked it b/c I thought it looked way better than mine. Very clever...

noobofreefs
Let's see some pictures of the fish!

you aren't getting lazy on us are you? ha

Gotta wait till I get my new fish! Patience, patience. :)

I might pick up some coral today too. Just hardy stuff though, like mushrooms and zoas. Maybe a ric.

NOR

noobofreefs

So today I headed to the fish store all ready and set to get another YWG or clown goby. I also figure if I get the YWG I might as well pair it up w/ a pistol shrimp. So I get to the store and start to look around. I find some really little pistols (Max 1.5-2 inches and they were called Indian ocean pistols). They were way cooler than the average pistol and also way smaller. Which means no gigantic sand crevices. Then he tells me they are also called the Randall's Pistol Shrimp (or Randall's snapping shrimp or w/e) Anyways he decides to mention they pair well with most gobies but best w/ Randall's Gobies. He also mentions these aren't mega common. (such as the YWG is extremely common) He then brings me to the Randall's Pistol Goby. This thing was awesome. Way cooler IMO than the YWG. He was white with orange stripes down him and with a pretty big, interesting, fin. So I got all excited and decide that I'll take him, but then I'm told that the Randall's Goby just came in yesterday, but I was also told that I should be able to take him home Thurs. or Fri. I did, however, pick up a pistol shrimp. :)

Since I wasn't getting a fish today I decided to look at some corals. They really do have some nice pieces at my LFS. I found a really nice zoa colony, (Bright orange skirts with a lightish blue kind of indigo-ish color) a frag of some bright green zoas (On this I actually got a little hitchhiker. It was on the rock she placed the frag on because the rock the frags were attached to was too small. It's bright orange from what I can tell because it hasn't opened fully. I glued it to a small piece of rubble I had because it was falling off), and I also picked up a hammer w/ 3 heads. The hammer and big colony are both opened up & are awesome. The frag with a few zoas was opening then I decided I needed to glue it onto the bigger rock and pissed them off.

Oh yeah and the entire big colony was closed when i just looked because my pom-pom was on there :lol:

NOR

noobofreefs

So today I headed to the fish store all ready and set to get another YWG or clown goby. I also figure if I get the YWG I might as well pair it up w/ a pistol shrimp. So I get to the store and start to look around. I find some really little pistols (Max 1.5-2 inches and they were called Indian ocean pistols). They were way cooler than the average pistol and also way smaller. Which means no gigantic sand crevices. Then he tells me they are also called the Randall's Pistol Shrimp (or Randall's snapping shrimp or w/e) Anyways he decides to mention they pair well with most gobies but best w/ Randall's Gobies. He also mentions these aren't mega common. (such as the YWG is extremely common) He then brings me to the Randall's Pistol Goby. This thing was awesome. Way cooler IMO than the YWG. He was white with orange stripes down him and with a pretty big, interesting, fin. So I got all excited and decide that I'll take him, but then I'm told that the Randall's Goby just came in yesterday, but I was also told that I should be able to take him home Thurs. or Fri. I did, however, pick up a pistol shrimp. :)

Since I wasn't getting a fish today I decided to look at some corals. They really do have some nice pieces at my LFS. I found a really nice zoa colony, (Bright orange skirts with a lightish blue kind of indigo-ish color middle) a frag of some bright green zoas (On this I actually got a little hitchhiker. It was on the rock she placed the actual frag on because the rock the frags were attached to was too small. It's bright orange from what I can tell because it hasn't opened fully. I glued it to a small piece of rubble I had because it was falling off. Oh and I should mention it's a zoa not an unknown coral), and I also picked up a hammer w/ 3 heads. The hammer and big colony both opened up & are awesome. The frag with a few zoas was opening then I decided I needed to glue it onto the bigger rock and pissed them off.

Oh yeah and when I went to look at the tank one more time before I went to bed I saw my entire colony of orange zoas closed. I freaked out for a second thinking wth? Then I look a little closer and see that my pom-pom decided now would be a good time to come to the front of the tank to show himself. Right on the zoas. :lol:

I also noticed on the big colony I got some hitchhiker. It may be some pest neme but I'm not sure. All I know is that it's purple, doesn't seem to bother the zoos too much, and retracts upon touch. I'll post pics tomorrow so you all can ID for me.

I'll also post some of the fish, coral, and tank in general. So tomorrow is picture day! :D Just to make you all happy.

Thanks for looking and feel free to share opinions, suggestions, or comments,

NOR

P.S. My clowns are supposed to be shipped in tomorrow or Thursday. Now this worries me a little because they go fast at my LFS. I don't want to go too fast but I may be adding 3 fish at once. (The pair of B/W clowns and the Randall's Goby, which will also go fast and doesn't come to the LFS that often) Do you guys think that this is wayyyyyy to much too fast because I really don't want to do that.

noobofreefs

Here's some of the coral:

Hammer:

0001__MG_6248.jpg

0002__MG_6264.jpg

0005__MG_6451.jpg

Zoas:

0005__MG_6289.jpg

0008__MG_6304.jpg

0009__MG_6310.jpg

0011__MG_6326.jpg

0012__MG_6352.jpg

The frag hasn't fully opened so only one:

0010__MG_6314.jpg

And here's the thing that I don't know what it is (Anyone know??):

0006__MG_6294.jpg

0007__MG_6299.jpg

noobofreefs

Crabs:

0004__MG_6444.jpg

0010__MG_6480.jpg

0011__MG_6481.jpg

0012__MG_6489.jpg

Eye:

0013__MG_6357.jpg

I decided that the stars didn't eat the fish. I think he died and they just helped by cleaning him up. I decided I'll feed them once a week with some squid & krill.

Here's some pictures of them:

0008__MG_6471.jpg

0009__MG_6474.jpg

0006__MG_6454.jpg

0007__MG_6461.jpg

0003__MG_6430.jpg

0001__MG_6416.jpg

0002__MG_6423.jpg

Here's the firefish:

0003__MG_6265.jpg

0004__MG_6267.jpg

0015__MG_6385.jpg

0014__MG_6375.jpg

And a few FTS:

0016__MG_6391.jpg

0017__MG_6403.jpg

0018__MG_6408.jpg

CarterNichols

Looks so awesome Cameron.

where in the world to you find the zoa frags in MS i searched high and low and could not find any frags... you might have to go the next time i'm there so i know where to look, i get so distracted by the fish.

lilredneckman

Wow those are some SICK shots! I really love the firefish! The thing also that you dont know what is, i am pretty sure that it is a MAJANO ANEMONE. Which is a pest like aptasia.

noobofreefs

Yeah, that's actually what I figured. I'll be sure to pick up some joe's juice when I head back to my LFS. Hopefully that'll take care of it. fingerscrossed Especially since mojanos are like aipistia X 2. Contacted the LFS, btw, and the clowns came in! So I'll be picking them up soon. Apparently the Randall's Goby is supposed to have a pretty small bio-load because of it's small size. So hopefully my system can take the big addition. It helps that the B/W clowns are pretty small too. After that it'll be pretty much coral for awhile until my tank is older. Not sure what the last fish is going to be, yet.

Oh and Carter be sure to look in the back tanks. They have frags of zoas and SPS. You just gotta be sure to look.

NOR

Archived