Pod Your Reef

The noobofreef's Red Sea Max

noobofreefs

Can I get that RO in Australia or sim? i need one that doesnt have to be installed by a plumber and connects to a regular tap.

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

(I presume you're responding to my post.)

I don't know if it is available in Australia. I do know that they sell an accessory inlet to connect to a garden hose style connection, but I have no idea if the threads and such are the same as where you live. If I were going that way, I would look for a sink or hose adapter locally to avoid that possible problem.

You might contact the vendor and see if they can ship. But first I would look for someone who sells locally in Australia as it would make shipping and support (if needed) a lot easier.

HTH,

hank

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
noobofreefs

Still have all the same questions as I asked before (help please..)...except I'm unsure of how much CUC to get tomorrow. I was thinking like 2 blue-legs, 2 nass., 2 cerith or astrea or something else..., and 1 turbo? Would this work? I have most of my algae on rocks and on the glass...What glass cleaner would you guys recommend? What CUC in general do you think I need?

Thanks, sorry for the noob questions...

NOR

noobofreefs

Well I picked up the CUC and it's acclimating...I feel like I got way too much though. I got the "CUC package" which included: 10 blue-legs, 10 trochus snails, 3 turbos, 2 serpent stars, and 2 mithrax crabs. And well she said she'd throw in a freebie and gave me a pom-pom. I took him because I was planning on getting one sometime anyways. So what do you guys think? Too much? If so what do you think I should take back?

Thanks

NOR

noobofreefs

Well I guess I'll report the params...

ammonia: 0

SG: 1.025

pH: 8.4

temp: 80

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Phosphates: 0

Oh yeah and I'm jw but my pom-pom will be ok without feeding right?

Will someone pretty please answer the other questions?

Thanks

NOR

SaltWaterNewb

I guess if the cuc cleans too fast you can always return some. No harm done. Keep in mind that turbos get pretty huge and will leave a path of destruction as they move around the tank. Great cleaners though.

As far as the pom pom, I am not sure if they are cleaners. You may want to feed it just to be safe. I am sure it would appreciate it.

Ok update...

FTS.jpg

FTS

Very nice ... and welcome to the RSM club ... wishing you success with your new tank. I checked out your aquascaping and it looks very nice ... I usually stack some tonga between the rock work and the back of the tank for better flow around the tank ... it tends to work out pretty well for me. and you can stack some rocks on the tonga ... makes a lot of room for the fish to hide and swim around :)

noobofreefs
I guess if the cuc cleans too fast you can always return some. No harm done. Keep in mind that turbos get pretty huge and will leave a path of destruction as they move around the tank. Great cleaners though.

As far as the pom pom, I am not sure if they are cleaners. You may want to feed it just to be safe. I am sure it would appreciate it.

Thanks, turns out there's more algae in the tank than I thought. It is in full bloom now...and actually it looks like there may be enough to keep them fed because it's on a pretty good # of rocks. But like you said if they run out of food I can always return some...

The turbos are hgue! I think they may already be near full grown but maybe not. They are the best cleaners in my tank though.

Suprisingly my hermits got right to work and my trochus just chilled for a little while but now they're getting started. The trochus are pretty big and the hermits are small...hopefully I can avoid the hermits hurting the snails.

On the pom-pom I figure I'll feed him some brine and mysis every other day until I get fish and coral. I've heard he'll get the extra from my feedings then.

Very nice ... and welcome to the RSM club ... wishing you success with your new tank. I checked out your aquascaping and it looks very nice ... I usually stack some tonga between the rock work and the back of the tank for better flow around the tank ... it tends to work out pretty well for me. and you can stack some rocks on the tonga ... makes a lot of room for the fish to hide and swim around :)

Thanks! For now I have pretty good flow everywhere and room for fish but in my next tank I'll take that into consideration for sure.

NOR

noobofreefs

Here's some pictures of everything...

_MG_4197.jpg

_MG_4203.jpg

_MG_4223.jpg

_MG_4232.jpg

_MG_4261.jpg

_MG_4281.jpg

_MG_4325.jpg

_MG_4329.jpg

_MG_4334.jpg

_MG_4344.jpg

_MG_4359.jpg

_MG_4362.jpg

What is this??

weirdcoralandturbo2.jpg

I'll try to get some pictures of the pom-pom later...He hides when the daylights are on and on;y comes out with the night-lights on. So I'll try to snap on the daylights and snag a few pictures of him.

He is really cool and has two anemones he hopefully keeps....

NOR

I usually stack some tonga between the rock work and the back of the tank for better flow around the tank ... it tends to work out pretty well for me. and you can stack some rocks on the tonga ... makes a lot of room for the fish to hide and swim around :)

Hi bluesky,

I'm always interested in aquascaping tips so I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean here. Try and put it in terms of noobofreef's layout if possible or start a new thread so it doesn't look like I'm trying yet again to hijack this thread. :huh:

thanks,

hank

noobofreefs
You've got quite a number of cute little critters :happy:

Thanks j'field I agree :)

Hi bluesky,

I'm always interested in aquascaping tips so I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean here. Try and put it in terms of noobofreef's layout if possible or start a new thread so it doesn't look like I'm trying yet again to hijack this thread. :huh:

thanks,

hank

I think he meant put tonga in between some of the rocks so that each rock isn't stacked upon another rock but instead with tonga in between them...maybe. Idk please do elaborate bluesky.

Oh and btw the pom-pom found a new cave :happy:

SaltWaterNewb
I think he meant put tonga in between some of the rocks so that each rock isn't stacked upon another rock but instead with tonga in between them...maybe. Idk please do elaborate bluesky.

Thats how I understood it as well. Using the tonga to create space between the denser rock for better flow through the rock pile and to create caves and tunnels. Not a bad idea depending on how it looks.

noobofreefs
WOOOOOO!!

703!

703 always...

Alright, well today I was trying to feed my pom-pom to see if he would come out. I put some mysis in and nothing happened for like 30 secs. Then all of sudden both my serpents stars started hustling towards that food. It was really odd...

The CUC has been doing a great job but there is still algae left. They've gotten a ton off of the rocks but there's still more plus my diatoms are trying to creep out but the hermits are doing a great job of battling them.

Pics of the stars were taken and just pics in general so I'll post those later!

NOR

I am looking forward to the updates, I love pictures!!

You have been taking really great ones, I am impressed.

noobofreefs
I am looking forward to the updates, I love pictures!!

You have been taking really great ones, I am impressed.

Thanks stevie, here's some more!

Stars:

_MG_4370.jpg

_MG_4377.jpg

A couple of the hermits:

Battle!

_MG_4382.jpg

Group Chillin':

_MG_4385.jpg

This one was changing shells to one of the extras I have in there:

_MG_4386.jpg

_MG_4389.jpg

_MG_4391.jpg

_MG_4392.jpg

Emerald:

_MG_4402.jpg

Pom-Pom! omgomgomg

_MG_4411.jpg

_MG_4445.jpg

_MG_4452.jpg

That's all for today...Params all checked out good, so I plan on adding my first livestock either this weekend or during the next! It will be a pair of black clowns and maybe some coral...

NOR

CarterNichols

It looks so sick!

what kind of camera are you using, these shots look professional. Us Northern Virginians are just talented.

noobofreefs
It looks so sick!

what kind of camera are you using, these shots look professional. Us Northern Virginians are just talented.

Thanks, they're with a Canon EOS 5D with an EDIT: My bad I meant 100mm macro lens guys!

It looks so sick!

Seriously ... those pics are amazingly attractive. I don't think its just the camera... probably a lot of patience and skills too ... share more noobofreefs!!!! :)

Thats how I understood it as well. Using the tonga to create space between the denser rock for better flow through the rock pile and to create caves and tunnels. Not a bad idea depending on how it looks.

Sorry for not being too clear about the tonga. Here is why I suggested using Tonga branch.

Objective:

1) create more flow throughout the whole tank (meaning no dead spot)

2) create lots of hiding place for fish and shrimp

3) create more rooms for corals while not stacking LR and create a totally packed look and feel

3 ways I can see how tonga branch is useful:

1) Use tonga between the rock and the back wall (to open up the flow at the back of the tank. often times ... the back of the tank is so packed that there is not enough room for water flow and hiding space

2) Use tonga in between rocks to create extra space

3) use tonga between sand and rock to create a raised platform look (especially in the front of the tank to increase water flow.) If you put too many LR or corals at the front of the tank ... there is a chance to accumulate "stuff" and cause some cyano issues ...

I have used #1 and 2 above. Working on #3 ... I will take a picture of my tank and post it here later.

It is a bit tricky to get the tonga setup to look nice. One option is to get tonga that has a lot of branches in different sizes and try to interlock them together to create a strong setup. Then you can put LR (e.g. fiji) on top of the setup. Tongas are very strong ... so you don't really need to worry about them breaking :) I don't use poxy.

Hope I am a bit more clear with this conceptual diagram: (side view). The left and right side could look completely different. An example is you can use multi-platform rock work for the other side and that will look very nice too. I messed around with my rock work for quite a bit in the beginning ... I usually try to not make any major change after the first few months. You don't want to disturb your life form too much. :)

post-28763-1208963110_thumb.jpg

noobofreefs

Thanks, guys :). More will come later. Hopefully of fish in the oncoming days fingerscrossed...

Oh and Bluesky, yeah that's what I was thinking. I may have to include that into my next tank!

NOR

Seriously ... those pics are amazingly attractive. I don't think its just the camera... probably a lot of patience and skills too ... share more noobofreefs!!!! :)

Truth of the matter is that the best camera in the world is not capable of taking good pictures unless the photographer has the skills to use it. So the proper camera lets noobofreef leverage his skills and get great pictures, but I suspect he would get good results with any reasonable camera.

Thanks for detailing the tonga comment.

-hank

Archived