Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The noobofreef's Red Sea Max

noobofreefs

Man, the tangs are gonna be SWEET! I was thinking 5-10 tangs, with a pair of sharks, and giant squid? Sound good to everyone?

NOR

I just read an article about nano-whales. I'm getting one. :D

Thanks,

Polly

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
noobofreefs
I just read an article about nano-whales. I'm getting one. :D

Thanks,

Polly

I may have to add that to my list...but I heard they only eat plankton from spongebob. Could be a problem but we could get saltwaternewb to send us some of his avatars...

noobofreefs
Does the RSM come with a glass cover for the tank?

Nope, it has a lid on top if that's what your asking. All the lights are built into the lid. Gives it more of the all-in-one clean look. No need to worry about jumpers with the top though.

lilredneckman

The scape looks good. i wish mine was that neat! I need to some how get some rock closer to the lights for my Acro because it isn't really doing too well.

SaltWaterNewb
I was thinking 5-10 tangs, with a pair of sharks, and giant squid? Sound good to everyone?

NOR

I don't understand why people have to say they are adding all this stuff to small tanks. I mean come on, everyone knows you can only fit one shark in a tank that big....sheesh... :P

Looks good so far. I like the scape. Can't wait to see some stuff in there. It has been killing me but I finally have some snails. Who knew snails could be so much fun to watch...lol

noobofreefs
The scape looks good. i wish mine was that neat! I need to some how get some rock closer to the lights for my Acro because it isn't really doing too well.

Thanks man. Yeah I like the 'scape, it won't be changing for awhile. I think you may have but said, but how much rock do you have in your tank? I though you said 24 lbs? Or did you get more? I have 38 lbs so I have lots of rock to build up to the top. You might look into getting a piece to add to the top, it could be your strictly SPS rock :). I do think one more rock on your 'scape would look great. Just make sure to get it mega-cured from your LFS and give it as little time out of the water as possible.

I don't understand why people have to say they are adding all this stuff to small tanks. I mean come on, everyone knows you can only fit one shark in a tank that big....sheesh... :P

Looks good so far. I like the scape. Can't wait to see some stuff in there. It has been killing me but I finally have some snails. Who knew snails could be so much fun to watch...lol

I know I did some research and it's only one shark now :tears:. :P

I can't wait for stuff either! (Well for all the flamers I can wait, don't get your panties in a knot) Lol, I bet snails are fun after having just rock for that month or however long it took your cycle! What's your livestock plans? I forgot if you mentioned it or not...

I'll post some more pics, now that it cleared, later. Gotta do params and everything first.

NOR

Looks AWESOME! Check out my post on my RSM. I showed some ways to get good height without that mountain of rock look. Using tonga branch and fiji to get good flow behind the structure. The Skimmer took 2 weeks to work for me and over a moth to stop putting micro bubbles in the tank. The POS wil be changed soon.

Sorry...I forgot the link.....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...152707&st=0

noobofreefs
Looks AWESOME! Check out my post on my RSM. I showed some ways to get good height without that mountain of rock look. Using tonga branch and fiji to get good flow behind the structure. The Skimmer took 2 weeks to work for me and over a moth to stop putting micro bubbles in the tank. The POS wil be changed soon.

Sorry...I forgot the link.....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...152707&st=0

Cool 'scape, I replied...Yeah I think I might replace to skimmer too, just because of the bad reviews on it. The tunze just looks so much better and smaller!

Pics will come soon...

NOR

lilredneckman

Well i have been slowly adding cool dead pieces that i had cured from my dads old tank and then today i added just a small flat piece so now i have about 30 lbs.

noobofreefs
Well i have been slowly adding cool dead pieces that i had cured from my dads old tank and then today i added just a small flat piece so now i have about 30 lbs.

Cool, I'll have to see your thread to see if you posted any pics...Are you going to add anymore than that or just leave it?

Update on the tank status...

Ammonia was...0 :huh::o:lol:

Nitrite was...0 :huh :o:lol:

What could it be?! Zero :P don't worry nothing will be added until this Saturday and I'll continue to moniter the params until then to be sure.

Pics if you dont believe! :D

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

Pics soon

SaltWaterNewb
What's your livestock plans? I forgot if you mentioned it or not...

NOR

My plans are going to be invert only. Snails for the CUC, porcelain crabs and maybe a pom pom crab or two and depending on how they are working I might add a small group of sexy shrimp. As far as corals, I am planning on either 100% zoa garden or mostly zoas and a duncan or two. Trying to keep this one simple. Once we get our house addition done this summer I am going to do a larger tank and go all out.

noobofreefs
My plans are going to be invert only. Snails for the CUC, porcelain crabs and maybe a pom pom crab or two and depending on how they are working I might add a small group of sexy shrimp. As far as corals, I am planning on either 100% zoa garden or mostly zoas and a duncan or two. Trying to keep this one simple. Once we get our house addition done this summer I am going to do a larger tank and go all out.

That sounds cool. More of a straight reef tank right? If you don't plan on adding any fish definitely get some sexies. Of course, this is only judging by the sexy shrimp thread and by the sexies at my LFS because I have never had one. But I do think they are pretty awesome and would look cool in your small tank. Just remember to feed them because, from what the "experts" have been saying they might pick on your zoa garden. I was thinking about getting some but idk how often I'd see them in my tank. I'll keep checking in on your thread.

can you please take a photo with the moon lights on, I would like to see how bright it is.

Yes, when I finally get around to posting my pics I will.

Alright onto the tank...

Params as of now:

Temp: 79.7

SG: 1.025

pH: took a swing up to 8.4...hopefully it'll come down with time

Ammonia: 0 B)

Nitrite: 0 B)

Nitrate: it's hard to tell on the API kit since the colors are so close but I think it was closer to 5 than 10

'phates: 0! :D

So looks like I'm cycled now for sure...I'll hopefully add a small portion of my CUC saturday. I don't need a huge CUC however because I don't seem to have all that much algae.

And finally now pictures...

Night lights...my camera doesn't show the true colors it's actually a little bit brighter

IMG_1708.jpg

Front

IMG_1710.jpg

Left:

IMG_1712.jpg

Right:

IMG_1711.jpg

My favorite rock:

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Coraline:

IMG_1716.jpg

NOR

Edit: h45e look here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1597564

StevieT gives better nighttime pics than I did...can't wait for my old camera to charge!

my night time pics sucked before tonight. I finally got a tripod which is key. $30 at best buy free shipping! I can keep the shutter open for 15 seconds with no blur

sample, more on my thread

IMG_3759.jpg

noobofreefs
Thanks for that, as soon as I come back from my 5 week holiday im going to set up a RSM.

You won't regret it ;)

Thanks for that, as soon as I come back from my 5 week holiday im going to set up a RSM.

First of all :welcome: to N-R! I've been researching here for a while, collecting supplies and planning on getting an RSM. Actually, I'm technical adviser for SWMBO. I study all of the posts here and report back to her, sending her links to anything of particular interest like the video of STeveT's RSM. :D

Second, if you regularly get 5 weeks holiday you suck! :P That sounds like a European thing. Here in the states we're proud of our productivity while the Europeans take lots of holidays and long vacations (In the US, a holiday is something that the whole company gets off while a vacation is an individual thing that rarely lasts longer than a couple of weeks - three if you've been with the same company for years.) I think I prefer the European system.

Well... Enjoy your holiday and keep us posted when you return. We'll do our best to keep everything running here while you are off enjoying yourself. Don't trouble yourself about all of the work we will be putting in. ;)

-hank

noobofreefs

Params as of today...

ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~13 definitely not 20 but I think a little over 10

SG: 1.025

Temp: 80.1

pH: Came down a little to ~8.3

I forgot my phospahtes...they are 0

I have a question though...

I plan on doing a water change friday night and adding a small portion of my CUC sat. (like 4-5 snails and maybe a hermit) After the water change (before I add the CUC) should I add my chemi-pure and purigen and turn on my skimmer? Or should I wait?

Everything's looking good...

NOR

Im a contractor so, I can choose when I get holidays (the good bit) plus pay is 2 times the "normal rate". The bad this is that I dont get paid while I am on holidays. Im going to 8 countrys in 18 days and spending 2 weeks in england.

Back on topic: If I do get a RO machine, what is a good one to get 2 stage/3 stage/4 stage or higher?

noobofreefs
Im a contractor so, I can choose when I get holidays (the good bit) plus pay is 2 times the "normal rate". The bad this is that I dont get paid while I am on holidays. Im going to 8 countrys in 18 days and spending 2 weeks in england.

Back on topic: If I do get a RO machine, what is a good one to get 2 stage/3 stage/4 stage or higher?

The topic is my tank -_-....j/k :D

From what I know I think 5 is the best. I think 6 is the one you don't want because it adds stuff back in. I could be wrong...look into mighty mites I've heard good reviews from them (weetie). I don't know very much about RO/DI units so hopefully someone will come in and help you out...

NOR

BTW STFU lucky vactationer.

Get a 5 stage RO/RI. The DI stands for deionization and is good for a reef tank.

I have a 6 stage on my kitchen sink. The 6th stage removes odor from the water and isn't needed for an aquarium. I got the 6 stage because our water smells bad during spring runoff.

noobofreefs

Alright guys I got a question stocking wise...

For inverts (I wouldn't add these all at once or when I pick up my CUC...) I really like quite a few of them...

Would:

1 pom-pom crab

1 skunk cleaner or fire shrimp

2 harlequins

and ? amount of sexy shrimp

All be able to go into this tank? By the list it looks like too many...but maybe? Sexies aren't a must but just an extra I would love. Any advice on the compatibility of all these inverts? Also, if I was allowed all these, how many sexies could I have? (Btw on the harlequins I've done my research and understand their needs. I wouldn't add them for a few months to be sure of water quality and, don't worry, I know all about the starfish eating diet)

Any advice?

Thanks,

NOR

Im a contractor so, I can choose when I get holidays

Ah... I do that too so I know what you mean. At present we're in crunch mode so time off would be a problem. The other problem is SWMBO has a regular job so we're constrained by her vacation.

I posted my initial impressions of a Water General 6 stage unit from filtersdirect (ebay) here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p=1592819Search

It has 5 states for RO/DI - mechanical -> Carbon -> Carbon -> RO -> DI (Or RO can go through a charcoal filter for drinking water.)

-hank

Can I get that RO in Australia or sim? i need one that doesnt have to be installed by a plumber and connects to a regular tap.

Thanks

Anthony

Archived