Pod Your Reef

My RSM...

smarsh

Woke up a few days ago to find my monti cap with a white slime coat on part of it. The red mili grew to close I guess. They were touching for about a week with no problems, but it seems the mili won the battle. Good news is the cap is recovering fine and I always mount my SPS on movable rocks so things can be treated or moved. My zoas are all starting to recover from the zoa pox episode. I lost 1/4 of my zoas from that nonsense. Here are some updated pics.

post-35600-1230132870_thumb.jpg

post-35600-1230133285_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some pic updates. I got a new Reverse Poker star monti (peltiformis), it is hard to get a clear pic of it but this thing glows. I also fragged some of the encrusting of my pink mili due to boredom, they browned but stillhave full poylp extension.

Thankfully my purplecap that was stung by a growing mili has almost completely recovered.

post-35600-1230836991_thumb.jpg

My nasuta acro continues to grow in this strange way, another 1/2 inch on the new branches and its frag time.

My ORA pearlberry is starting to show growth, still needs to color up at bit. The plum crazy next to it was a LFS dying peice, it finally is showin a little polyp extension and is getting a bright glow to it.

post-35600-1230837128_thumb.jpg

My zoas are recovering well from treatment last month.

Miliporas looking fuzzy

post-35600-1230837257_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few updates. Caught one of Prop's auctions on ebay and could not pass it up. The frags are really healthy, I will definitely buy from him again. I followed his instructions of not dripping or any crazy acclimation process and there was never a moment with no polyp extension. These things are bullet proof! So I added the 4 new frags to the LR after 1 convincing day on the frag rack. I like the square plugs Duane. Nice work!

post-35600-1231979781_thumb.jpg

Do you have the stock lights?

4 months ago I switched to the 150w 14k Sunpod. The stock lights supported the SPS but things are much nicer under the MH.

I got you. I'm thinking about taking the hood of my RSM to replace it with a sunpod, but my tank is in my office where I get a lot of traffic. I don't want our employees and clients to mess around with the open tank especially when they bring their kids around.

Is there such thing as a RSM lid?

I got you. I'm thinking about taking the hood of my RSM to replace it with a sunpod, but my tank is in my office where I get a lot of traffic. I don't want our employees and clients to mess around with the open tank especially when they bring their kids around.

I thought I saw a post or two referring to a nano-tuners mod.... i'll post the link if i find it.

I have herd it is too direct, the MH is centered and not high enough, so it is strong in the center of the water, but not directed outwards.

Look into it though, it is an option to keep your hood.

4 months ago I switched to the 150w 14k Sunpod. The stock lights supported the SPS but things are much nicer under the MH.

Has any one cut off the part that sticks up when the went to the MH light? I was thicking about it just not sure if it would look like crap or not. But I agree I have a 250w MH pendent over my RMS and I like it a lot better.

The Propagator
Just a few updates. Caught one of Prop's auctions on ebay and could not pass it up. The frags are really healthy, I will definitely buy from him again. I followed his instructions of not dripping or any crazy acclimation process and there was never a moment with no polyp extension. These things are bullet proof! So I added the 4 new frags to the LR after 1 convincing day on the frag rack. I like the square plugs Duane. Nice work!

post-35600-1231979781_thumb.jpg

Hey there !

Glad you liked them :D

If every one would stop drip acclimating their coral I firmly believe they would reduce their losses shortly after by more then 50%.

Yeah those square plugs are nothing more then tumbled marble tiles from Lowes.

I stick'em in boiling water to remove any nasties and to heat the glue up enough to peel right up. You can get a 144 piece square of them glued down on a mesh matting for like $14.99.

It beats the snot out of $20 plus shipping for 100 golf tee type plugs.

I used both typoes though because certain corals do not respond well to the square plugs because they are so smooth. For instance I am finding that zoanthids grow much better and healhier on sand covered golf tee typ aragonite based plugs versus the tiles. Ithink its because of the grit. Feels more natural to them so they take to it faster. Works better for softy's in general actually. But toad stools still like anyhting really.

The tank is looking good guy ! Keep up the good work !

:D

I would not do the upgrade if you plan on keeping it a closed top tank. I know my RSM with stock lights used to reach 85F and above sometimes and once I went open top it dropped to 80-81. Of course my ATO goes through 3-4 gallons a week now. I think a MH in a closed top on the RSM will heat the water way too much unless you get a chiller. StevieT is right on the mod, I can totally see the MH not being high enough and giving the tank a spotlight look. The sunpod seems to be just high enough sitting 6-7 inches above the water and the edges of my tank are still kinda dark 2 inches around. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a new 15K bulb. Pics tomorrow. ORA Pearlberry and plum crazy are looking sweet. Went up north to Mass and Jersey for a week ago wednesday. The ATO held up and Alk was only 6 when I got back. Whew.

• 3 weeks later...

So its been over a year and lots of changes, StevieT's media rack, Tunze9002, Sunpod and its time for a yearly comparison.

post-35600-1235611635_thumb.jpgpost-35600-1235611580_thumb.jpg

Monti caps

post-35600-1235611681_thumb.jpg

SPS top view

post-35600-1235611846_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got this chalice 6 weeks ago as just a red and purple. Over the last week green, pink and blue showed up. The brightness is hard to capture in a pic. Through research to try to figure out what kind of chalice this was. Seems it may be the famed "Acid trip" that tropicorium.com sells for $400 a frag. Coralpedia has pics of this coral under different light and it looks exact. fingerscrossed

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gall...;g2_itemId=6770

They said it does not like to be fragged and turns red and purple once it is cut. I got this for 13 bucks on ebay. SCORE! I cant wait for it to grow out. Each day more colors appear.

post-35600-1238768804_thumb.jpg

I got this chalice 6 weeks ago as just a red and purple. Over the last week green, pink and blue showed up. The brightness is hard to capture in a pic. Through research to try to figure out what kind of chalice this was. Seems it may be the famed "Acid trip" that tropicorium.com sells for $400 a frag. Coralpedia has pics of this coral under different light and it looks exact. fingerscrossed

They said it does not like to be fragged and turns red and purple once it is cut. I got this for 13 bucks on ebay. SCORE! I cant wait for it to grow out. Each day more colors appear.

if u got an acid for 13 bucks i will kill u.

April 3rd. :P

if u got an acid for 13 bucks i will kill u.

April 3rd. :P

Wow...That is kinda scary since you are local to me. Sorry to say that it seems to be turning out to be the Acid Trip chalice. Better watch my back. lol

now thats i nice find!!!

tryn2makeit

hey i got one that looks a lot like what you have. is it purple, red, blue, orageish, with some yellow dots? those are the colors on mine. i found mine at a lfs for 20 bucks. when i got it it was purple, red, and little light blue, but now it seems like the colors are more vibrant. nice find!

Not to sure yet. But like I said the colors are popping out over the last week. I have been feeding it every 3 days and it has grown from 3 eyes to seven. My crappy camera cant even capture the true colors, greens and blue. If it is or it is not, it was only 13 bucks. It currently looks most like the 2nd pic on coralpedia.com Im pretty sure that insaine 1st pic is under super actinics. Mine is under 15K mh. I will try to get better pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered this. I figured 24.99 was a deal, Frag is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. Also getting a Tyree Sunset and Nuc Green palys. Pics when they get here.

post-35600-1240236899_thumb.jpg

So now I get to sit here at work with these new corals and wait 6 hours to put them in my tank. The frags are huge and are exact to the pics above. Check out Juicy Corals.com, though I got these half the price on an ebay auction rather then their website. Great sizes for frags. :D

So now I get to sit here at work with these new corals and wait 6 hours to put them in my tank. The frags are huge and are exact to the pics above. Check out Juicy Corals.com, though I got these half the price on an ebay auction rather then their website. Great sizes for frags. :D

Beautiful stuff you got there!!! Love the montis ... I just got a nice piece of Reverse Sunset ... they are gorgeous!!! :D

Now get yourself some purple hornet zoos ;)

-David

Archived