Innovative Marine Aquariums

My RSM...

smarsh

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank is looking great.

Thanks Normandy. How is your tank doing? FTS soon?

oh yeah, this tank is looking sweet now! Nice light

Thanks StevieT. The light Rocks! the light acclimation, sucks. Such a slow process. It has been a week and I tried pulling 1 layer of screen off for yesterday, got home from work and things were not happy. My green slimer started turning yellow! So back went the 4th layer of screen. My zoas looked like they were really mad for the first week and candy canes shrivled up to raisins. They look much better now. One plus is since the tank light is so filtered now, all the algae has died.

Hopefully things will get used to it soon, im getting antsy!

aaaa, I forgot about needing to do that with a MH upgrade. It sounds like fun! B)

I guess just take it nice and slow and they should all pull thorugh. Overall they should be happier in the long run for you

aaaa, I forgot about needing to do that with a MH upgrade. It sounds like fun! B)

I guess just take it nice and slow and they should all pull thorugh. Overall they should be happier in the long run for you

Yeah its been over two weeks StevieT and im down to one layer of egg crate today. Things got pissed for a bit but my zoas are morphing neon and my sps loves it and they are glowing as well!

post-35600-1221700303_thumb.jpg

Pink Mille growing on the rock.

post-35600-1221700607_thumb.jpg

I want to change to a Pheonx from the Current bulb for more color pop soon....Ugh that means more of this light acclimation stuff. Its totally worth it!

New frags came in from Reef Empire. All were under 25, some as cheap as 11 bucks.I didnt expect to win all of them with my max bids on ebay. An Oregon Tort is worth 20 bucks IMO! Im not keeping all of them, I have my 90 gallon prop tank with fuge finally set up at my friend Bob's house and he has been taking all of my corals that outgrow my tank or I dont want anymore. None of them have been really glued down yet, just kinda playing around with them to see what I want to keep, of course the blue tort and I found it fitting to keep the red monti cap and glue it below the others. All are doing really well with full polyp extension and each was dipped in ReVive coral cleaner. That stuff works wonders on red bugs.

post-35600-1222303417_thumb.jpg

I still have 1 layer of screen and a layer of eggcrate due to my older corals still not liking the Sunpod.

Tank is looking awesome!!! How do you like the Sunpod??? :D

Thanks David. The Sunpod is great. I really like how it looks like beams of sunlight shining in my tank. Like I said I still dont have it exposed 100% due to my older corals getting used to it. Zoas are still kinda pissed. I think Im going to put a Pheonix 14k in there to get more blue and color pop. The Current bulb has like 5 months of burn on it so I will be changing it soon. I wish I would have upgraded from the begining to MH. What a difference it makes.

tell those corals to stop being little girls and let that MH light on full blast!

LOL.......I wish man. I think Im going to expose them regardless if they want it or not in a week. I dont want things to get to used to the filtered light.

One thing that I find really cool since I put the MH on the tank, My sun coral which could probably careless about light is open 24/7 now and has made 7-10 baby polyps at its base and the side of larger polyps at the top. This has nothing to do with the light but the baby polyps are a real surprise, I only feed the colony 3-4 times a month and my clownfish has a new trick, the little bastard he is. He waits for the coral to reextend the polyps after feeding and pushes his face into the polyp? This causes the polyp to vomit the mysis up and he then eats it. Im trying to get video of this because it is a very unbelievable story. The LFS asked me if im sure? Uh, Yeah I'm sure. Sometimes the clown doesnt even eat the shrimp, he just wants the coral to not eat.

wow, that is insane! I really am interested in that vidoe if you ever get to take it. I have never heard of that before, but it is amazing! What a smart little fish.

I hate manually feeding my sun coral, by far one of my dumbest purchases ever. It does get fed from my other feedings, but if I targed feed, it is so hard to keep my coral beauty and peppermint shrimp from stealing it's mysis. Plus it only opens at night, feeds in the afternoon if it wants with my other fish, but I never get to enjoy it during the day.

Keep me updated on that video!!!!

I hope you are happy now! I just ordered a Current OuterOrbit fixture with 150W MH (10000K) and 4 X T5 bulbs. I got a really good deal online. About 60-70 dlls less than MarineDepot or Drs Fosters and Smith. Dang! I'll probably change the MH for a 14000K bulb soon.

Ok I give I am new What is the chamber of death?

I don't remember if I started the term or if it was borrowed, but the Chamber of death is refered to as the pump chamber in the RSM tank. It is the thrid chamber, farthest to the right of the tank if you are looking at its display.

Per Red Sea brilliant design, they decided that filtration media needed to go in there. Yet they also decided to put the return pumps on the top of the chamber. So in order to remove and change any media you had to:

1. Remove both pumps and not drop any pieces down into the tank and or COD

2. Somehow fit your hand and arm down there, yet that is impossible so...

3. Remove both hood pins

4. Stick your hand and arm down there

5. Curse really loud because it hurts and your hand and arm don't fit

6. Get some kind of tool to help you out

7. Curse some more.

Luckily we don't use that chamber for filtration any more and have designed a media rack to make things so much easier, thanks Red Sea for the customers ;)

Chamber of Death:

toppag9.jpg

Ok I give I am new What is the chamber of death?

The last chamber in a RSM. I learned fast after I got on NR not to follow the instructions that come with the RSM. it tells you to put carbon and bio material in the last chamber. This creates build up which results in a nitrate factory. StevieTs thread call this "The chamber of death" and luckily he found this out befor I did. I use the Tunze Doc 9002 skimmer and Steviets media rack with, chemipure elite and purigen. Filter floss every once in a while when cleaning but it is removed right away.

I hope you are happy now! I just ordered a Current OuterOrbit fixture with 150W MH (10000K) and 4 X T5 bulbs. I got a really good deal online. About 60-70 dlls less than MarineDepot or Drs Fosters and Smith. Dang! I'll probably change the MH for a 14000K bulb soon.

Just be careful with the light acclimation. I lost a couple corals because they did not like the strong light after being under PCs for 6 months. It was like instant death and this was through 4 layers of patio screen and 1 layer of eggcrate. They shriveled up like raisins and died, mostly shrooms and rics. The SPS has never had such good polyp extension. Everything else is coming around and colors that I didnt know I had in my corals are appearing. Plus since I went open top, My tank is 4-5 degrees cooler. My ATO needs filling every few days now though.

I mostly have zoanthids(about 20 different colonies), four different leathers, and a couple of shrooms down at the bottom. I don't expect to have to acclimate too much, as the lights on the RSM are already pretty bright enough. Looks like SPS corals are going to be on order soon.

Where did you buy the screen?

as for the temperature, I run a 1/10HP chiller on my tank.

I mostly have zoanthids(about 20 different colonies), four different leathers, and a couple of shrooms down at the bottom. I don't expect to have to acclimate too much, as the lights on the RSM are already pretty bright enough. Looks like SPS corals are going to be on order soon.

Where did you buy the screen?

as for the temperature, I run a 1/10HP chiller on my tank.

Just regular patio screening from lowes or home depot. At home depot I found both egg crate and screen in the same isle.

I know the RSM lights are strong....I had them too. But a MH light is like 100 times stronger. Trust me. You will see your corals close instantly at first. Its like looking at the sun for them. All mine that died were on the sand really low. Zoas acted funny for weeks, opening and closing all day. To put it in perspective, Take the feeling of you standing in your bathroom with the light on, then go outside at noon during the summer. Both are pretty bright. Though outside you can feel the UV rays burning your skin. Just a heads up on what to expect. I thought mine would all be ok too. Good thing the seller of my MH gave me the heads up on the filters. Good Luck, and patience is the key in this hobby as I have learned many times.

My tank is now almost fully exposed to the Sunpod. I only have 1 layer of egg crate iI might keep on there. My rics are finally happy and they ate very well last night along with my sunpolyp. I was able to get pics of my suncoral's new polyps after feeding it too.

After eating.

post-35600-1222612094_thumb.jpg

New lobo. I dont have much LPS in this tank. I liked how small this one is.

post-35600-1222611857_thumb.jpg

Candy canes look nice and full! These guys really didnt like the MH at first.

FTS

post-35600-1222612183_thumb.jpg

I brought about 7 larger pieces of SPS from my tank to the 90 gal frag tank I have set up at my friends house this weekend. We built a fuge on it and this is where all my larger soft corals and SPS colonies have been going the past few months. I kept all the smaller, rare frags and did a lot of gluing over the weekend. I will try to get some updated pics tonight. I actually have room on my frag rack and things have room to grow out now.

List of SPS I kept in my DT:

Montiporas:

Red, Purple and Green w/Blue polyp caps

Undata

Orange Digi

Green Digi

Reverse pokerstar x2

Rainbow

Cloverfield

Milleporas:

Pink

Red

Green

Unknown, Peach base with teal polyps

Acroporas:

Blue Tort

Blue Tenius

Yellow Nasuta

ORA Pearlberry

Neon Green

Caroliniata x2

All these frags are under 3 inches and some I have had for over 4 months and are growing on my liverock. I will get pics of the 90 gal prop tank and fuge once things really get going.

• 1 month later...

I got the 24" 150 watt model. Someone on here was selling it for 180 shipped. I had to grab it. I think it is at the end of page 6. I dont have many pics after the addition. I have an old digital camera with a whopping 4 mega pixels so pics are hard to get with the brightness of the MH. All I know is zoas that I had that were brown turned neon green and bright orange and my SPS has never looked better. The tank is 4 degrees cooler now that it is open top. My ATO goes thru at least 3 gallons of RO a week, but it is worth it totally!

• 4 weeks later...

Im finally going to post some new pics of SPS encrusting the live rock. I had a bad nutrient problem that covered my tank with red and green turf algae and it was causing the sps not to encrust the rock it was glued to. I also have been battling zoa pox. I had it when the tank was young on one colony and treated with Furan 2. This time there was not noticable spots on any of the colonies and the zoas died much faster. Since there was no spots I did not treat for pox. This week I felt treating with Furan2 anyways may help and they are getting better. The timeframe was so different and in spread to all zoas within a month. This is all after the MH upgrade.

Lights off, top down

post-35600-1228689684_thumb.jpg

post-35600-1228689720_thumb.jpg

Archived