SaltCritters.com

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Yep...you didn't hit them with direct contact probably....If you use regular garlic, just crushed and soaked and any tiny pieces land on a Montipora it can smoke it....not so much if you are using liquid extract because the true proportion of garlic is so minute....

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep...you didn't hit them with direct contact probably....If you use regular garlic, just crushed and soaked and any tiny pieces land on a Montipora it can smoke it....not so much if you are using liquid extract because the true proportion of garlic is so minute....

Yeha I just put a little in the tank. I was using the Kents extreme garlic or something like that.

Yeah, I know i need a heater bad! Need to get one soon. Thanks for the tip on the garlic, would suck it I burned up my caps and other ontis.

Thought it was time for some growth pics!

Green Cap when I got it

PB240405.jpg

A few days ago

P1010212.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, not much growth but noticable to me.

Birdsnest the day I got

P1010067.jpg it

Few days ago

P1010211.jpg

if you haven't been following my thread for awhile, it's missing that huge piece due to a fraging incident. This thing gets awesome growth and loooong growth tips. Also has gotten darker polyps.

Red Cap day i got it

P1010167.jpg

Now

P1010207.jpg

Not growing outwards but starting to like like it's gonna swirl.

Fts

P1010217.jpg

Sunset day before turkey day

PB260532.jpg

Now

P1010213.jpg

Back is 99% covered and is starting to cascade onto the tile. Should cover the whole thing in no time.

Also german blue digi hasn't gone vertical but almost completely encrusted on the putty. Mitch your digi is starting to regain color. Still brown but with a hint of purple and polyps up top have a green hue to them. Interesting to see how it turns out.

Yeah, I will be intrigued to see how it turns out....I think it will be okay for a freebie! I am impressed with how well your Sunset is growing already. I started with a piece about that big and 5 months later it covered the 1 1/4 inch frag tile it was on...

Yeah, I will be intrigued to see how it turns out....I think it will be okay for a freebie! I am impressed with how well your Sunset is growing already. I started with a piece about that big and 5 months later it covered the 1 1/4 inch frag tile it was on...

Yeah, free corals FTW! The sunset grows really fast for me so far. The polyps are so fuzzy, it looks like red georgia clay with grass growing in it!

Well the upgrade could happen for real, just need to get cost down. Start up cost is around $600, getting $350 ish for x-mas. $250 too much. Asked a local guy if he still has dry rock he's giving away, that takes out $50 and if i can get a used 40 for around $50 or less I'd be perfect once I sell somethings like my Traxxas electric r/c truck I never use anymore cause I blow out the shocks all the time and have a gas one anyway that has a busted rear end cause i like to jump them and beat them to death. Also broke the adapter for the batery cause it got stuck, got pissed to pliers and ripped the batery out but broke the plugs on both. Easily fixed though.

K wait.... you seriously don't have a heater?

What are the temps usually at?

Yes i don't have a heater, i never needed one with the hood on and know I do. Temps stay around 78-80.

well today is a sad sad day.......i have to pick up about 3 corals off the sand every moring cause my emerald crab knocks them down and i saw my yasha head down swirling in the current dead. :tears::tears::tears:

I had her for I think it'll be 3yrs in january, on tuesday she was out of her burrow and had lock jaw, wedensday i got her toeat, today dead. I'm heartbroken, that was only the second time I had see one in person when I got her and I jumped on it for $45. I'm glad i bought her, she was a great fish and extemely fun to watch when i still had the male. it was also one of vistors favorite fish, they'd always say man that's a gourgeous fish and ask what it was. She didn't really get along with most fish though lilredneckman can remember back when i had a pair of clowns and the two would get harrassed by the yashas during feeding time.

I'm down to only the coris in there as i'm still treating the flasher, he is showing no symptoms of ich but I'm treating him until saturday and keeping him in there for at least a week to make sure he's fine.

Well upgrade most likely won't happen anymore. My dad and i priced the entire thing out and waaayyyy to costly. I can't get free rock cause the guy gve it away already and that was sort of the deal breaker. My dad is willing to sell his 75 but I'd have to wait until it sold and don't have the patience. Also I wouldn't be able to buy livestock for close to a year. If i stay with the ap24 i can spend all the money I am getting on fish and corals and a skimmer. Plus my dad said if I keep the tank as an incentive he'll take me to places in miami that have extremely nice corals and fish for very cheap. I just can't bring myself to spen upwars of 4600 on a tank that i'd have to tear down in a few years unless my dad took care of it. it's like everytime i wanted top upgrade, once you price it out it's more economical to just stay with what I've got.

Well upgrade most likely won't happen anymore. My dad and i priced the entire thing out and waaayyyy to costly. I can't get free rock cause the guy gve it away already and that was sort of the deal breaker. My dad is willing to sell his 75 but I'd have to wait until it sold and don't have the patience. Also I wouldn't be able to buy livestock for close to a year. If i stay with the ap24 i can spend all the money I am getting on fish and corals and a skimmer. Plus my dad said if I keep the tank as an incentive he'll take me to places in miami that have extremely nice corals and fish for very cheap. I just can't bring myself to spen upwars of 4600 on a tank that i'd have to tear down in a few years unless my dad took care of it. it's like everytime i wanted top upgrade, once you price it out it's more economical to just stay with what I've got.

hey nick im sorry to hear about the yasha, that sucks man.

You need to get rid of the emerald crab and i have a home for it. If you can get him, let me know what you want for him and I can put him in the frag tank to help with the bubble algea problem

hey nick im sorry to hear about the yasha, that sucks man.

You need to get rid of the emerald crab and i have a home for it. If you can get him, let me know what you want for him and I can put him in the frag tank to help with the bubble algea problem

yeah really bummed about the yasha, my dad was so sad when i told him. if i get the emerald you can take him. I had him last night until he pinched me, i let go he ran. Gonna hunt for him now, once I spot him i got him, but he hides alot.

yeah really bummed about the yasha, my dad was so sad when i told him. if i get the emerald you can take him. I had him last night until he pinched me, i let go he ran. Gonna hunt for him now, once I spot him i got him, but he hides alot.

thanks man. and dont be afraid of being pinched, i fish alot for sheapshead and snapper and use live crabs, they pinch but they dont hurt to much. after a while, you get used to it. Some people even get :naughtydance: :naughtydance: by crabs pinching them (yes i have read stories online about that)

thanks man. and dont be afraid of being pinched, i fish alot for sheapshead and snapper and use live crabs, they pinch but they dont hurt to much. after a while, you get used to it. Some people even get :naughtydance: :naughtydance: by crabs pinching them (yes i have read stories online about that)

I looked every were couldn't find him, I'm not afraid of being pinched at all, just startled me, Looking for him i almost got stung by a bristle worm, that hurts. I like to fish too, mostly snook with a fly rod, I don't use live bait to often mostly artificials like D.O.A. and mirrolures if i'm not throwing a fly. Lilredneckman is a good freind of mine, go fishing alot together, his dad has a big 30' parker, there's a link to his charter bussiness site with pics a page or so back.

I looked every were couldn't find him, I'm not afraid of being pinched at all, just startled me, Looking for him i almost got stung by a bristle worm, that hurts. I like to fish too, mostly snook with a fly rod, I don't use live bait to often mostly artificials like D.O.A. and mirrolures if i'm not throwing a fly. Lilredneckman is a good freind of mine, go fishing alot together, his dad has a big 30' parker, there's a link to his charter bussiness site with pics a page or so back.

i like using live bait for snook, i catch my own and go at spillways late at night. never tried fly fishing, is it tough? We can talk more on saturday. if you happen to find the little guy let me know.

I told you!

Why don't you just set up the 75?

i like using live bait for snook, i catch my own and go at spillways late at night. never tried fly fishing, is it tough? We can talk more on saturday. if you happen to find the little guy let me know.

Yeah, caught my first tarpon at the spillway on a terroreyz, used live bait for snook at the pier over the summer. Had a big gal on but she wrapped me on a pilling. Fly fishing isn to bad once you learn to do it right. it can get really frustrating though, i'm not all that great can maybe cast 75' would like to be able to cast over 100'. Snook in the lights aren't that hard to get, I have never had to cast more thn maybe 40' to a fish. Once you get the fly on the dinner table you have to make them eat, that's the hard part. i've had fish follow the fly to the boat then turn away, when i caught macks on fly a few weeks ago that was very hard due to the speed at which the fly had to be moving, really fun once they ate. Enough about fishing, if i get the crab i'll tell ya.

Edit:caught the crab, he's in a tupperware floating in the tank. he came right out in the open.

Yeah, caught my first tarpon at the spillway on a terroreyz, used live bait for snook at the pier over the summer. Had a big gal on but she wrapped me on a pilling. Fly fishing isn to bad once you learn to do it right. it can get really frustrating though, i'm not all that great can maybe cast 75' would like to be able to cast over 100'. Snook in the lights aren't that hard to get, I have never had to cast more thn maybe 40' to a fish. Once you get the fly on the dinner table you have to make them eat, that's the hard part. i've had fish follow the fly to the boat then turn away, when i caught macks on fly a few weeks ago that was very hard due to the speed at which the fly had to be moving, really fun once they ate. Enough about fishing, if i get the crab i'll tell ya.

Edit:caught the crab, he's in a tupperware floating in the tank. he came right out in the open.

great, now the bubble algea problem can be fixed. will call ya tomorrow to confirm and see ya saturday

great, now the bubble algea problem can be fixed. will call ya tomorrow to confirm and see ya saturday

No problem, glad to help a local reefer out. I saw on PBMAS you wanted xenia, wish you posted that a month ago, my dad threw out a ton of it. He'll have more in time though. Call after 3 if you can, I'm home by then.

No problem, glad to help a local reefer out. I saw on PBMAS you wanted xenia, wish you posted that a month ago, my dad threw out a ton of it. He'll have more in time though. Call after 3 if you can, I'm home by then.

yea im home all day tomorrow until about 3:45 then it';s off to baseball practice. heck, let me know when you get xenia again and ill take as much as he's wanting to throw out.

I told you!

Why don't you just set up the 75?

I know Ocho, the 75 would be way to much work to get back into shape. I'd have to bleach all the rock cause this nasty algae that pops up randomly, I would be forced to get dual 250w's, waterchangews would cost up wards of $500 a year, i would need to spend $100 on pumps to get sufficent flow for SPS, and would have to modify the sump because it's a wetdry (easy part, I would need to just cut a baffle in half).

I know Ocho, the 75 would be way to much work to get back into shape. I'd have to bleach all the rock cause this nasty algae that pops up randomly, I would be forced to get dual 250w's, waterchangews would cost up wards of $500 a year, i would need to spend $100 on pumps to get sufficent flow for SPS, and would have to modify the sump because it's a wetdry (easy part, I would need to just cut a baffle in half).

Oh...ouch.

Well hit up the LFSs today, nothing good that I could afford.....$250 blotched anthias, $450 scolys, $125 rainbow acan frag I wanted sooooo bad! I guess I need to just save my money.......

Well hit up the LFSs today, nothing good that I could afford.....$250 blotched anthias, $450 scolys, $125 rainbow acan frag I wanted sooooo bad! I guess I need to just save my money.......

This local dude who has connections somewhere said he has at least 40 different acan frags/colonies. Plus tons of rainbows. He also has zoas/palys and chalices. He told me they are nothing I have ever seen before. I work at an lfs (mainly freshwater stuff -_- ) just once a week for some extra cash and discounts and I guess he gets all his fw stuff there and is friends with the owners. He said I could come out to his house and he'd sell me a bunch of stuff cheap and frag me what ever I want. I believe that includes acans too because he said he wants to get rid of all non acan stuff. So if you still want a rainbow I might get some good deals and will pass them on to you. I'll let you know if this actually happens and show you some pics of I get any.

nick you have a gorgeous reef. I love how you are using the finnex fixture and how you mounted it, you have given me an idea. Nice tanks, and I will say, the gsp and the xenia immediately began to open/pump when they got into my tank.

Archived