ReefCleaners.org

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Hey Nick, Do you dive? Is there any real shore diving up as far as you? We try to go down to Lauderdale by the Sea for the shore diving....maybe by springtime the Bride and I will have to go South again....Drop off frags on the way down and pick up frags on the way back! That's te way to do it....unless you are coming to Orlando at any time soon....or....meet half way someplace.....(wait, you don't even drive yet, do you???? Danmed Junior Reefers!!!!)

Up as far as me?!?!? What? I'm In Jupiter which is sout of Orlando, but i guess you mean north of Ft. Lauderdale. Theres there is great diving just off the beach, no reefs really but lots of fish. There was one amazing reef but a f'n freighter ran over it and destroyed it! All the huge SPS colonies got chopped in half, tred to use something like aquamed to repair them but they RTN'd to much i believe and most died it's terrible. They figured out who did it and they're under FWC investigation! I hope they rot in jail for ruining one of the most famous dive spots in Palm Beach county. One spot lilredneckman showed me has some good SPS growth and lots of neat fishes and is just off the beach too. But yeah I can't drive yet, haven't even gotten my permit. I could wait til' spring, would have lot's of goodies for you by then, i'm getting more ORA stuff soon, like Red Planet and Bird Of Paradise.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fraged duncan's other big head, i may have killed it, when I cut it the frag cracked in half. it's extening tentacles atm so i have some hope, stopped sliming up not to long ago. The tissue is fine, the skeleton just cracked. I'll see how it does, it looks much better than when i put it back in. Also snapped a uber tiny frag of spongodes off. Mitch I was going to cut the pearlberry but it's so new and I need a dremel bit, I'm not having another sps fraging incident again.

You ought to order the cheap-o diamond cutters from Harborfreight....They are like $2.99 for 5 blades and a mandrel....Some say they aren't worth the money, but WTH....the money is 3 bux!!!!

N, hey???? What are you using to frag your Duncans?

You ought to order the cheap-o diamond cutters from Harborfreight....They are like $2.99 for 5 blades and a mandrel....Some say they aren't worth the money, but WTH....the money is 3 bux!!!!

N, hey???? What are you using to frag your Duncans?

I had to chuck the frag, spewed all it's guts and came completely apart, had two seperate halves glued down. It suck to have to throw it away, i coul've made $25 off it. Mitch, i use friskars garden clippers, the work good but no the best. There's a harborfreight maybe 20min away and a block from a nice LFS so I'll probably just go there, plus I can stop in and say hi to the guys at the flyshop and see what's going on there. Probably going mackrel fishing again so I'll be up that way, so I could stop there on saturday. I have to check with my dad first, supposed to be 2ft or less seas which is perfect for our 17ft boat, lilredneckman can tellyou what a bad ride it is, threw out his back one time! He ain't used to it, he's got a 30ft parker with a cabin and 30ft birdsall tuna tower that he jumps off of. You feel nothing in rough seas in that boat.

I used to have a custom rigged Mako 24 with bracket and full platform....that was back in the days before Mako sold out and got average.....okay....they got just above-average....they used to be incredibly built....that one was a center console with custom made T-Top, me being 6'4, and fully rigged to my order....

I really miss fishing.... :huh:

THAT is a sweet boat indeed....the only person I ever knew who fished a Parker had it rigged with Phantom Reels and a huge above deck fish box for fishing commercial....I like yours a lot better....

Well, just did my weekley waterchange on both the tanks. Everytinhg in the 24 gallon is doing great. Mitch's sunset frag is covering over the cut and spreading over the frag tile nicley, Christel's stuff is doing amazing, the cap and greendigi are coloring up nicely and the German blue digi is starting to take off. The pearlberry is starting to look more like the pictures of pearlberrys I've seen, turning more creamy white and getting CrAzY PE and looks awesome blowing around in the current. The zoanthids are starting to grow faster since I put halides over the tank and the birdsnest is still growing uncontrolably. Might just take a few pics cause of how great everyting is doing. Also got a pistol again friday night for $10. dug a burrow on the opposite side as the yasha after getting harassed by her. She tried to eat him like 5 times! At least he's alive and in the front of the tank where I can spy on him, atleast he'll kepp the left side nice and tidy if the yasha doesn't accept him, I put him right i her face so they were sure to hook up at first but she went nutz.

Your tank is looking good nick....What size koralias are you using?

Thanks Tom, a #1 and #2, when added to the flow of the mj900 I get about 50x turnover. The flow is perfect, took awhile to figure the placement of the koralias out so I didn't get a sandstorm but now I have no sandstorm and happy corals.

Thanks Tom, a #1 and #2, when added to the flow of the mj900 I get about 50x turnover. The flow is perfect, took awhile to figure the placement of the koralias out so I didn't get a sandstorm but now I have no sandstorm and happy corals.

Wow thats a ton of flow! Ill bet you got a huge sandstorm when you first installed them

I had no idea that you had that kind of turnover....THAT's why my frag loves your tank so much...It's used to like 50 times an hour, give or take....

Sure would love some fresh closeups...

Wow thats a ton of flow! Ill bet you got a huge sandstorm when you first installed them

Yeah, in two places there was no sand and the water was dirty. I buumped it by accident one moring topping off, came home from schoo, to a mess of a tanks, most of the sps were covered in slime.

Your tank looks great! You've got some REALLY nice stuff in there!! :)

Thanks! I figured that since I have so little room to get stuff that i liked and was colorful, that just happens to be expensive or hard to find corals.

Thanks! I figured that since I have so little room to get stuff that i liked and was colorful, that just happens to be expensive or hard to find corals.

That is so true! No sense in getting anything you don't love when your real estate is limited! :)

I had no idea that you had that kind of turnover....THAT's why my frag loves your tank so much...It's used to like 50 times an hour, give or take....

Sure would love some fresh closeups...

Opps we posted at the same time Mitch, yep 30x wasn't enough had some dead spots and the birdsnest wasn't happy. It came out of a 37 gal tank with a k4 and mag 9 or something like that return. The flow is just right in my opinion. The birdsnest has really thick branches cause of the flow. I have some studying to do for a math test, but I'l try and get some new pics. Need to let the water clear up first though.

That is so true! No sense in getting anything you don't love when your real estate is limited! :)

Yes it is, I let go of a lot of stuff over the last few months to make room for sps. I just need to keep impulse buys to a minimum and i should be fine, haven't made one in a loong time.

Is that Spanish Maceral? Those must be fun on a fly....

I want a Sail on fly some day....

Yep, they're fun on fly, the bad part is your arms ache from all the stripping! Geez, I didn't know I could strip as fast as i had to to get them to eat. I got 3, that was the only one I got in the boat. Caught a bunch more on spinning rods which was fun too, especially when you've got two big kings chasing the mack! Tried to get them to eat it after they ate half the mack but set up and got cut line past the leader. Lilredneckman tried to get one on fly but his casting skillz aren't the best.

Sail on fly would be fun, gotaa go to the pacific though, atlantic sails don't tease up as easily supposibly. i never caught a sail, we had one on won lilredneckman's boat but he dove for the rod faster than anyone else. didn't know it was on til it was up jumping. I've caught a tarpon though, only a little guy, still jumpped alot. i wanna get one of them on fly, I know where one hangs out in a light but you get one shot at him if your lucky, not cause he spooks, cause the guy is very protective about getting to close to his dock.

Well i'm thinking about a possible upgrade. I really don't have much room, the ap is al vertical space really. I like plating sps so a longer or wider tank would be nice. Leaning towards the ADA 60P. 18 gallons 24x12x14. About same size gallons wize but much more room in terms of rock work. The actual swimming area in the aquapod is at most 2" wider and my scape is maybe 13" high. Would go for two island scape and just get new sand and transfer this tank into the ADA. My dad would perfer a custom tank but htat is more than he'd want to spend based on what I calculated. Probably going to end up with the ADA and just do frequent waterchanges as I am doing now, I really think a skimmer is unnessisary and just another thing that can break. If it turns out i need one I can always get a Tunze 9002 and put it in there. I have seen quite a few ADA reefs lately and always loved Helfrich Chick's amazing reef. Most do have SPS with toally natural filtration. Just LR, LS, dosing, and water changes. We'll see what happens though, after going natural on my aquapod I saw an improvement in the corals and got rid of a nasty cyano problem.

My plan so far is get the tank for x-mas. Make stand out of plywood and 2 by 4s just to support the tank, not putting aything in it. Use half new sw and half ap24 water. Get 20lbs of sand. Throw on a hob filter to clear it up and trans fer the aquapod minus the wrasse (getting big) and a few corals that don't seem to like the halides into the ADA 60P. Of course there'd be a mini cycle but I'd check the parameters and do a waterchange if anything gets out of hand. Also would make a new screen cover so Ms. yasha doesn't commit suicide and I know she would! Look for updates concerning this, my dad has to agree on the idea.

Well i'm thinking about a possible upgrade. I really don't have much room, the ap is al vertical space really. I like plating sps so a longer or wider tank would be nice. Leaning towards the ADA 60P. 18 gallons 24x12x14. About same size gallons wize but much more room in terms of rock work. The actual swimming area in the aquapod is at most 2" wider and my scape is maybe 13" high. Would go for two island scape and just get new sand and transfer this tank into the ADA. My dad would perfer a custom tank but htat is more than he'd want to spend based on what I calculated. Probably going to end up with the ADA and just do frequent waterchanges as I am doing now, I really think a skimmer is unnessisary and just another thing that can break. If it turns out i need one I can always get a Tunze 9002 and put it in there. I have seen quite a few ADA reefs lately and always loved Helfrich Chick's amazing reef. Most do have SPS with toally natural filtration. Just LR, LS, dosing, and water changes. We'll see what happens though, after going natural on my aquapod I saw an improvement in the corals and got rid of a nasty cyano problem.

My plan so far is get the tank for x-mas. Make stand out of plywood and 2 by 4s just to support the tank, not putting aything in it. Use half new sw and half ap24 water. Get 20lbs of sand. Throw on a hob filter to clear it up and trans fer the aquapod minus the wrasse (getting big) and a few corals that don't seem to like the halides into the ADA 60P. Of course there'd be a mini cycle but I'd check the parameters and do a waterchange if anything gets out of hand. Also would make a new screen cover so Ms. yasha doesn't commit suicide and I know she would! Look for updates concerning this, my dad has to agree on the idea.

Are you going to take down the ap or use both?

Try to get something with a wider "narrow side" if you can...from experience I can tell you 12 inches disappear with rockwork and you have no sandbed for frags or ground dwellers, and 12 inches forces you to put the rocks uo against the backwall, thus killing flow behind them....

Just my .02.

Mitch

Are you going to take down the ap or use both?

Would take it down.

Try to get something with a wider "narrow side" if you can...from experience I can tell you 12 inches disappear with rockwork and you have no sandbed for frags or ground dwellers, and 12 inches forces you to put the rocks uo against the backwall, thus killing flow behind them....

Just my .02.

Mitch

Thanks for the input, deffinatly not getting the ADA, dad says $110 for 18gal is crazy, going to talk to my buddy at the lfs to see what he thinks i should do setup wise. i really want sps dominant if not only sps, I'm happy with the aquapod but running out of room. Maybe a custom AIO 24" long, no more than 15" high (deep tanks are a pita to light I have found out with the aquapod) don't know about width, maybe a shallow cube tank like 24x20x15. Section off back for skimmer fuge and return. have to see what a custom tank runs.

Price glass and sealer and go to NanoPaul's old DIY thread and build your own custom tank....Hey, you can do anything the rest of these guys can do....you should see my tank build thread...you wouldn't believe the depth of DIY I did, and I have two left hands!!!

Go over to TheCoralNet dot com and see my build thread...it's an amazing journey...(that's the site I Moderate)

Mitch

Archived