Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Looking nice!

Thanks man!

well my dad left and went to Home Depot to get stuff for the new Hot Tub so i snatched his computer and loaded the pics!

Acclimating Together

P1010344.jpg

Sorry it's so blurry, they don't stay still! And yes that's an old salt bucket.

In Their New Home

P1010346.jpg

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet but you have to get some better pics of the markings. Are they Occys or Ture Percs?

Occys, I'll try to get better pics of the markings but it'll be tought, they're too active! They just wiggle in one spot the whole day! They had some true percs but the pairs were fighting too much.

Well i got some phishies last nite, a pair of ORA oceallaris. My mom had to go to the mall and told me she'd take me to the fish store Coral Sea Aquariums. They had gourgeous acans way out of my price range then I walked into their fish room and saw tons of clowns. I knew they'd be fine and they were so healthy, the tanks there were spotless. I probably spent a good 20min debating which pair to get! I wanted two SI (Solomon Islands) True percs that had some amazing coloration for their size but they weren't in the same tank, then there were a pair of black ocellaris but it was $90 vs. $50 for the Ocellaris. They're gourgeous, the female has some black connecting her first and second bars and the male wants to host my duncan and has speckles on his face from it. I'd post pics but my dad has the USB cord and his laptop which is the only computer that'll let me on photobucket for some reason. I would've posted them this morning but I went fishing until around 4pm. For those who wanna know we got 4 muttons 2 were legal, a short red grouper and a nice strawberry grouper. Even caught some "live" rock lol, if it was legal to keep I would've had some nice rock for a pico! Even had some baby pencil urchin hitchikers...

All the corals are recovering well, I'm going to do a lugol's dip on them when I do my Wc tomorrow just for kicks but it should help out.

I know I said I didn't particularly like clowns but these were so cute and I love how they wiggle around the tank, plus they'd been at the store for over a month eatring and healthy. No way they were getting sick. I just had to have them! :)

Bet those groupers were a good fight, strawberry grouper is a nice looking fish, mutton also.

Are they a maited pair?

No, I'd call them a "bonded pair", meaning yes they are a pair and rpobably will not seperate. A "mated pair" is one that has spawned or is spawning.

Bet those groupers were a good fight, strawberry grouper is a nice looking fish, mutton also.

Not really, they were pretty small, and coming up out of 150' the fight is half over once you get them up pretty far cause they just float to the surface from their air bladder.

so nick ,you got clowns, very nice.

live rock for pico tank dang i need some LOL.

Thanks, Phil. But yeah probably about 4-5 softball sized rocks covered in macroalgae and coralline.

Nick, wheres the best place to put my K1 in my AP24? where are yours?

Jason, I put mine in the corner and face it to the opposite corner. Perferablly put it on the opposite side as the return. You can see in the last fts where mine are.

Awesome clowns bro... I love my pair, and I'm sure you will love yours!!!

Thanks David, I do love them already, why....they are afraid of my had, so they haven't bit me yet like my last pair. That'll probably change but who knows. At least it's not my dad's big tomato, got bit by her yesterday while feeding his fish and she bit down hard and wouldn't let go!

Good golly man...are you sure you aren't raising Saltwater Pirannah there??

Did you see my new deepwater Acro?

I don't know Mitch! That thing is one mean fish, her and my dad's flame are constantly chasing eachother. She bites anything that goes into the tank, my dad wanted my pistol but has afraid she'd eat it before it got to bottom!

And yes I saw that sweet acro, you can send me a piece if you want! :D

It needs to grow first....HEY!!!! I JUST GOT IT!!! jk....when I see how it's going to grow I will consider cutting a frag, but not yet....I will have to remember to always frag it with a dremel, the guy I got it from went to cut his colony and it busted into a BUNCH of pieces on the first cut!!

It needs to grow first....HEY!!!! I JUST GOT IT!!! jk....when I see how it's going to grow I will consider cutting a frag, but not yet....I will have to remember to always frag it with a dremel, the guy I got it from went to cut his colony and it busted into a BUNCH of pieces on the first cut!!

I learned that the hard way! Remember the birdsnest incident! Tell who ever you got it from they can send me one of the busted up pieces lol! JK, probably couldn't afford it even though I have a bunch of money to spend on tank stuff, need to get an r.o. unit and a skimmer.

I understand that....I need to start stuffing my "extra" money in a sock to save up....I think I need to bite the bullet on a chiller....all the fans I have running now are making my tank area sound like a Cessna Shop!! and I'm STILL 81 to 83 degrees always....

I have a contact on a great deal for a used one. I just gotta see what all is included with it and if it can be held while I raise the cash...I have some frags healing that should make it possible....

well the new clowns are proving to be quite picky eaters suprisingly! The were getting nothing but enriched frozen brine for 6 weeks at the LFS, so they aren't taking to Rod's as fast as I'd lie them to but they are eating. The seem to like the larger chunks of meat and nibbled on the Nori then spit it out. But even with the chunks they wouldn't rush to it, they'd slowly swim over and nab it out of the water. The chunks are so big though that they have to take a bite, then spit it out and take another bite. They were nice and shared too! Each ate probably around one chunk apiece and didn't care for the smaller particles of food but did eat some. Hopefully they'll learn that that's all they're gonna get and they better like it, I might try pellets though and see if they like them more. I would never of thought that I'd have picky clowns!

These are fish....they aren't going to go to bed hungry....they will eat when they're ready....if they are eating at all they will be fine....

Well this moring I got my refactometer in the mail and decided to test salinity and cal, alk, and mg. I had an unpleasant suprise when I did so. Calcium was right where I've been shooting for 420ppm, alk and mg were off. Total alk was at 4.5mwq/l and mg was at 875ppm, wtf! But I'm attributing the high alk to low mg. I dosed some epsom salts to brung mg up and am doing so slowly, only enought to bring it up to around 1000ppm today then by friday it should be back to 1300ppm or so. I'm thinking I didn't mix up the salt when I got it so that's the problem. I gave the salt container a good shake and stired it up with my fingers pretty good then mixed up a batch today to see if I got a bad bucket, also didn't mix for 48hrs as you are supposed to with DD. I'm only going to dose calcium tonight to help bring my alk down and may not dose at all until mg is back to normal.

Everthing is doing good though got most of the pieces happy again and everything is coming back. I got the clowns munching on Rod's now, they even ate their veggies today! :) I'm not stuffing them either just getting them enough to keep them full but I'm not letting these two eat as much as they possibly can. I want slightly hungry fish not fat fish.

No, I'd call them a "bonded pair", meaning yes they are a pair and rpobably will not seperate. A "mated pair" is one that has spawned or is spawning.

Not really, they were pretty small, and coming up out of 150' the fight is half over once you get them up pretty far cause they just float to the surface from their air bladder.

Thanks, Phil. But yeah probably about 4-5 softball sized rocks covered in macroalgae and coralline.

Jason, I put mine in the corner and face it to the opposite corner. Perferablly put it on the opposite side as the return. You can see in the last fts where mine are. So if my return is on the left (looking from the front) then can i put it in the bottom right corner pointing up in the opposite corner? that way it would cross the return. or should I face it towards the front because i heard it can help dead spots?

Thanks David, I do love them already, why....they are afraid of my had, so they haven't bit me yet like my last pair. That'll probably change but who knows. At least it's not my dad's big tomato, got bit by her yesterday while feeding his fish and she bit down hard and wouldn't let go!

Yaaayyyyy!!!!! :happydance: I'd say 75% of my rocks are "cooked". There is almost no detrius on the bottom of the tub, just under a few rocks I gave them a swish tonight and not much came off. It's a good indicator that they're close to done. I took 3 rocks totalling to 7lbs and glued them together and made one killer piece of my scape. I'll show you it tomorrow when I might put it in the tank. I'm going for 2 islands probably and this is one of them. I'll probably be a bit short on the 1lb per gal rule but with BB tanks you don't want a ton of rock to tra detrius under and the "berlin wall" is the worst scape possible. Probably the top half of the tank will be open for growth based on what I've planned. I probably spent the last hour playing with rocks. Who knew it could be so fun. Even got stung by a bristleworm yippy! It hurts like hell!!!! I poured poroxide on it and pulled the spines out with duct tape. The burning stopped but my left pinkie still hurts a bit where I got stung.

I'll have alot of open area on the bottom so maybe a brain for the clowns or something like that.

My Chucklehead Ocellaris' LOVE their Brain....

IMG_0105.jpg

How about that....Sleeping on his back wrapped up in the Comforter....

That was a Macro, Flash shot before the sun came up....

My Chucklehead Ocellaris' LOVE their Brain....

IMG_0105.jpg

How about that....Sleeping on his back wrapped up in the Comforter....

That was a Macro, Flash shot before the sun came up....

Nice! Mine keep trying to host stuff, mostly the duncan and the rubbed up on the favia. Hopefully they'll pick something.

upper right hand corner, faceing to the left front glass. If that makes sense at all.

yeah it does make sense..but i was thinking if i put the PH in the lower right corner then it would be out of sight, do you think pointing it up at the return from the lower right corner wouldnt have as much water movement as if it faced the left front glass? dont mean to sound annoying but just wondering lol

They are trying to find something that feels right....My goofy Male used to host my big orange Monti cap.....I fragged a huge slab of it away and he went to a big shaggy Neon green Hydnophora...Morons I tell Ya' They don't have much more brains than Hermit Crabs.....okay, so they do have MUCH more brains than Hermit Crabs....I even think my Live Rock has more brains than a Hermit Crab!

Archived