SaltCritters.com

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Sweet Nick....My new suharsonoi is the first coral my eyes fall on when I look across the room at the tank...that thing is like INSANE neon green....

Thanks mich, at the store it was a pale minty green. There are frags of the same colony my frag is from in 4 different tanks now that includeds mine. Rob the owner of Oceans Below had his turn neon green amost yellow, his freind Charles had it turn minty green (my frag is out of his tank), and another guy he knows had it turn almost white with a hiny of green. Seems like the farther up it goes the more bright yellowish green it gets. They really want to know what it will look like in my tank.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Nick, I had not check your thread for a while. Everything looks GREAT!!!!. I am really jealous of the Garf and Red planet. Let me know when they get big enough to frag and ill throw you a few ORA frags for them.

Hey Nick, I had not check your thread for a while. Everything looks GREAT!!!!. I am really jealous of the Garf and Red planet. Let me know when they get big enough to frag and ill throw you a few ORA frags for them.

Sounds good, but Mitch has first dibs on the garf! :P

Well here's a craptastic photo of the Surhasonoi

P1010482.jpg

My magnfying glass aka ghetto macro lense is all scratched up and was dirty. I need a new one so i can take clearer pics.

I will be interested to see how that colors up...remember, as for lighting intensity, that is a deepwater coral and can be blasted white pretty easily....

Speaking of the Ultra Ghetto Macro, did you see the thread I did back before Christmas with the little dot super-magnifying part of my old magnifying glass??!!

I need to get out in my garage soon and make myself a top-down photo box..a friend came over months ago with one and I gotta say I was amazed by the colors he got of my corals...If I build one I will probably spend so much time shooting with it that I will get sunburned arms!!!

I will be interested to see how that colors up...remember, as for lighting intensity, that is a deepwater coral and can be blasted white pretty easily....

Speaking of the Ultra Ghetto Macro, did you see the thread I did back before Christmas with the little dot super-magnifying part of my old magnifying glass??!!

I need to get out in my garage soon and make myself a top-down photo box..a friend came over months ago with one and I gotta say I was amazed by the colors he got of my corals...If I build one I will probably spend so much time shooting with it that I will get sunburned arms!!!

Yes Mitch I'm fully aware of trying not to blast it with light, it's around 1' from the water surface and around 18" from the light so it should be fine. It's a minty green right now but ony on the tops of the branches cause it was laying sideways in the tank at the LFS around 20" under a 250w radium on the bottom of a 40 breeder.

I also need to make a top down box, another one of the lfss has a probably close to 500 gallon total volume coral tank, I know the sump is at least 100 gallons and the tank is probably twice the size of a pool table and 12" high, so yeah it's big. And they have two top down boxes and what a difference it makes when you're looking at stuff, the tank is at waist level so you look down on it, everytime I go there I want to steal one of the boxes.

Hey Nick -everything's looking great. I really like the Blue Acropora Abroholensis. It looks like a Milli but I'm interested in how it grows out. Once it gets some growth be sure to post some updated pics!

Hey Nick -everything's looking great. I really like the Blue Acropora Abroholensis. It looks like a Milli but I'm interested in how it grows out. Once it gets some growth be sure to post some updated pics!

Thanks karen, the guy who I got the frag of that coral from has the wild mother colony thought he had a millie until the president of the local reef club came over who's an acro fanatic said umm, that's not a millie. If you know how a millie grows straight up and out this one is supposed to have a really strange growth pattern. I don't care if it doesn't and grows like a millie it was only $15 and is just gourgeous it's a nice baby blue in person and almost seafoam green ander acintics.

Well i tested calcium, alk, and mg yesterday and got:

Cal: 420ppm API

Mg: 1125 Seachem

Alk: 2.5 Seachem

Dosed baking soda for alk and epsom salts for mg, going to test again today to see if I got it right.

Started dosing two-part again today, corals are using up 20ppm calcium a day so I had to. I got my Mg back up to 1250ppm so I deided to dose again. Once I find pure calcium chloride I'm not using two-part again, well at least store bought. I'll probably use Randy's recipe for two-part and make my own, I like supporting local bussinesses and using Natu-Reef supplements but it's too potent, 5ml all at once of either part will have very bad effects from what the bottle says. We'll see though, if the next batch of salt I get has good Mg I might keep dosing Natu-Reef as it's cheap almost as cheap as making my own. But since this batch of salt was bad I have to watch my Mg so two-part is a bit risky as i alread threw stuff out of whack a couple months ago since i wasn't testing thinking i got the daily dose down the come to find mt Mg was low which made alk high and cal low.

Well my royal gramma got ich, I know I'm not going to beable to catch him and that he'll probably make it so he's staying in the tank. I don't know what caused him to get it, I was keeping my top off water in the cold garage and when I dosed the epsom salts and baking soda I used the cold r.o. water so that might have done it but, I dripped it in very slowly, it took 2 days for all the magnesium to go in and that was just half a gallon of water, so doubt that was it although it's the most possible cause. Nothing has changed since then.

Well this afternoon when i got home the gramma was fine, no ich, and ate like a pig. Thinking on what my last few fish are going to be, I know I want a mandarin for sure, don't know the species, I like my dad's green madarin but the target madarins are nice too. Just will have to see what the LFS has when the time comes nrmally they have both kinds and some already trained to eat frozen brine. Might also get a geometric pygmy hawkfish. i had one before but I lost him to ich when my anthias got it. He was a pretty neat fish, hanging out in one spot all day, now with the acros when they grow out he'll hide in the branches. These little guys are a pain to find though and cost around $30. I love them though, my mom doesn't though and niether lilredneckman. He always asked me why I spent $30 on that dumb little fish cause he just sat there and stared at you with his big buggy eyes waiting for mysis or a pod to drift by the dash out and grab it. i like them cause they do just sit there and have big bug eyes, plus I think I need more red in the tank. if blue damsels were peaceful I'd consider one of those too, really like the electric blue, but still want other fish!

Well I know I'll catch some crap for this because my royal gramma just had ich and well I have a nano, but I just got home with a cute little target madarin, they are scaless fish so they are IMMUNE TO ICH. I'll get pics up when I'm done acclimating him, also got a nice blue ricordea. My mandarin was already eating frozen at the LFS and had been there for months. I got live brine to feed her and she was picking at the side of the bag trying to get them so I have high hopes that she'll eat Rod's food.

Here she is:

P1010499.jpg

She's already hunting down pods, going to try to feed her live brine around 5 when i turn the halides back on. Will post a pic of the ricordea then too.

VERY pretty fish Nick...I might add one of those one day...dunno....

I had a green mandarin back in the 80's, it did real well, ate frosen mysis and enriched brine...I had it for a few years...Hurricane got it....Tank got up into the 90's for a week or so....everyone died.... :tears:

VERY pretty fish Nick...I might add one of those one day...dunno....

I had a green mandarin back in the 80's, it did real well, ate frosen mysis and enriched brine...I had it for a few years...Hurricane got it....Tank got up into the 90's for a week or so....everyone died.... :tears:

Thanks Mitch, you should get one, they're awesome! The target mandarins are easier to train from what the LFS told me. I wanted a green one but my dad already has one so I thought I'd get something different. Going to feed rod's tomorrow to get it onto frozen. Now she's hopping around the tank eating pods, seems to get along with everyone else too.

Ok so a quick slice of one ricordea turned into a half hour fragging ordeal. One ricordea was spilitting so I cut it in half, the blue one I got today had two mouths it met the razor blade. i snapped off two frags of forestfisre digi, one for mitch and one for liredneckman's birthday present. The I noticed that the tri-color valida still hadent gotten better from when I noticed it was RTNing so I snapped off two healthy branches and threw the rest of it away, all the rest was pretty much just bare skeleton. i still have a nice frag of it and the two I made tonight. I decided to cut the duncan tomorrow since it got dark outside and my dad would be cutting it outside so the house doesn't smell like coral. iran out of tiles to use for the sps so i had to smash one in half and use rubble for the rics and acro.

Sounds like you are a fraggin fool!!! I cut up part of my Tyree Blue Lamelossa chalice today...

Before and After pics on my thread!!!

coolz, lmk when that garf bonsai grows out. ON the red planet, keep it at med level in your tank Mine has lost the green already which seems to be a prob with that coral.

Sounds like you are a fraggin fool!!! I cut up part of my Tyree Blue Lamelossa chalice today...

Before and After pics on my thread!!!

I saw that, and yes I don't frag often but when I do, i frag a lot of stuff!

coolz, lmk when that garf bonsai grows out. ON the red planet, keep it at med level in your tank Mine has lost the green already which seems to be a prob with that coral.

Will do dt, as I said before, mitch has first dibs, I think you are third in line. My buddy has a frag off the same colony uhe got the same day as me nder a 400w radium 1/4" the way up a 37 oceanic cube and it's encursting nicely, mine seems to wanna grow up more but is encrusting. As for the red planet, it's exactly 1/2 way up and is really green was sold red/pink when i got it from a local club member.

Cut the duncan up, my dad did an amazing job on it, just as i had invisioned. I'll have pics of all the new frags I made when the duncan opens, also got the madarin eating frozen today yippy! :)

Outstanding about the Mandarin Nick. That's a sweet fish. Get it fattened up and sassy. It's so cool to see one of them perching around when well fed. I used to love my green one. The type you have used to be called a Psychodelic Fish...even in the books and such...

Outstanding about the Mandarin Nick. That's a sweet fish. Get it fattened up and sassy. It's so cool to see one of them perching around when well fed. I used to love my green one. The type you have used to be called a Psychodelic Fish...even in the books and such...

it's a fat a$$ already, not obese but you can tell it's well fed. I had the perfect shot of it if I had the camera was hanging up side down on the red cap. B)

Ok training my madarin is proving a bit harder than expected. Yes it's eating frozen but NOT Rod's well atleast yet. It likes the live and frozen brine a lot but not Rod's. I tried Rod's soaked in vita-chem didin't even nibble on it. Has learned that the pipette means food though which I like. I added some live brine to the Rod's to see if she would mistakenly eat some but nope. Did really like the brine. I'm going to soak the live brine in vita-chem when i do give her that cause it has fatty acids and is packed full of vitamins so she's not eating junk food. Probably just going to use strait spriulina brine until i can get her on Rod's. This morining I had her taking spirulina brine no problem which is what she got at the LFS for 2mo. so she's probably hooked on that and is going to be hard to get to switch. PE mysis would be a move in the right direction but mine is all frezer burned and that stuff is expensive but lasts a long time. When I head to the LFS for water this week will have to get a variety of things to try, like Hikari spirulina brine (the stuff I'm using now has pieces of nori in it and more of that then brine) and mysis. I have cyclopeeze and I think that would be an excellent food to get her to eat and she probably would eat it cause I've never seen a fish even a madarin turn down cyclopeeze. I guess I've only had her for a day so I should be glad I even hae it eating frozen at this point.

Archived