Cultivated Reef

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
will a pistol work with a BCS? also i herd that the pistol will tear up your tank and cause all your rockwork to fall is this true?

From what I've heard, the shrimp is smart enough to know where they can tunnel so as to not collapse the rock... Mistakes do happen though, I suppose. :happy:

My pistol is a little engineer! He knows exactly what he's doing. He'll go through the sand bed and find bigger pieces of crushed coral or rock and put the in a pile outside his cave.

Terrible pictures!! I took them with my phone and surprisingly they turned out realllllly bad. Like really bad. :rant:

The first one is of the bottom of my deco, slightly slid off the table... you can see the bald spots where pete has dug his tunnels.

The second is of pete and sebations (YWG). I LOOOVE THEM! :wub:

I will have to get my camera working...

post-31429-1203791757_thumb.jpg

post-31429-1203791773_thumb.jpg

Well I got a YWG today, he's just a little guy. At the moment, he's enjoying his drip acclimation, along with the zoas I bought. But they didn't have any pistol shrimp, so that kind of bummed me out a little...

Oh well, as soon as he's in the tank, and I get it cleaned up a little bit, I will snap some pictures.

It is one of the coolest symbiotic relationships I've ever seen.

Anyone else?

Probably the best symbiotic relationship. I have a pair for a little over two years. I bought the watchman first. He was good by himself. The pistol shrimp was labeled as a tiger pistol. He was tiny. I put him in the tank and didn't see him for a good couple of months. He had grown considerably and the watchman is always look a bit beefy.

post-31263-1203827925_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to get a pistol shrimp... I just don't have any fish stores in the area that carry them. If I can find anyone in the local-ish area, I'd love to get one from a fellow reefer.

I'm in eastern Ohio, Saint Clairsville to be exact.

My local fish store has had them in before, but he doesn't do custom orders, so it's kind of a hit-or-miss thing with him. The only other fish store that is trustworthy is over an hour away in PA, and their prices are high... $9.99 for a peppermint shrimp kind of high.

The place in PA is Wet Pets, and the other fish store that's only 20 minutes away from me is Tanks A Lot.

I went to Wet Pets on Saturday and they didn't have either the goby or a pistol in stock... So it was on my way home that I stopped at Tanks A Lot, and they had only one watchman goby there, so I bought him. I would like to get a pistol from Tanks A Lot, but they don't do custom orders without charging an arm and a leg, and I can only imagine how much more it would be at Wet Pets.

You mentioned that pep's are normally $9.99 in TX? I bought mine from Tanks A Lot for $3.49 a few weeks ago. I just figured that was the going rate.

You have it easy in the US. I paid £9.99 for a cleaner shrimp (the going rate is about £15). With the exchange rate how it is that works out roughly $20!!!!! (or $30 depending where you go)

YAY, I have a Yellow watchman goby and Randall's pistol shrimp (Alpheus randalli). I got the pistol as a hitchhiker about 2 years ago, and just added the watchman about 4 months ago, and they paired up in the first 2 days. It's great to watch them and they are such a pair. Funny thing though, they don't actually burrow in the sand very much, but more in a hole in the rocks that leads down to the substrate. Here's a pic, and a link to the video.

pistolwatchman.jpg

Here's the video link,

Watchman goby and Pistol shrimp video

I had a watchman and tiger pistol combo for about 4 months, but then the watchman turned into the fish from hell and started attacking any other fish that came into the open water are of my tank. My firefish and my pygmy pacific angel were huddled together behind all of my rockwork b/c they were so terrified. I though my firefish was going to kill himself because he would jump so forcefully out of the tank and slam against the canopy... needless to say, I had to get rid of the goby.

What are some gobies that would pair-up that are not going to turn aggressive??

Archived