Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

Here is a picture of my now-late hi-fin goby and pistol shrimp:

IMG_8578_med.jpg

I just recently lost the goby after having him for about a year.... the pistol is still around (one of the first residents of the tank .. this was his second hi-fin goby), but doesn't tunnel as much without the goby. I have been on the lookout for a new goby, but couldn't justify the $50 price tag on a Yasha.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seahorse,

lovin the pair! how big is the PT FS? i have one about 5-6" i love it! sorry that waz kinda off topic.......

wont happen again

seahorse,

lovin the pair! how big is the PT FS? i have one about 5-6" i love it! sorry that waz kinda off topic.......

wont happen again

That frogspawn is about 4" across ...

Nano-reef has a thread for almost every animal...what about the pistol/goby pair?

I made this thread for discussion, anyone to share stories and for prospective owners of pistol/goby pairs to come read why we love them so much!

Now on to my pair...I have a watchman goby, and a banded pistol shrimp. They are currently living in a 3g deco until their new home (BC14) is ready. The day I introduced the pair, the shrimp immediately went to work. He started digging out their cave, and the goby started to protect him. It is one of the coolest symbiotic relationships I've ever seen.

Anyone else?

Yellow Watchman and Tiger Pistol... the TP has a hit list history that includes:

2 - skunk cleaner shrimp

2 - peppermint shrimp

I didn't really care about the peppermints but dangit those skunks were awesome. So careful with your pistols and other shrimps because pistols do prey on other shrimp in the wild...

well not sure ifi already postedthis but planin on gitin a yasha hasha and randalls pair possibly help me decide by goin to Whic one? in the invert forum.....dont let this thing die!

Featherduster

Wow, this is amazing thread! Good thing I didn't find this thread until after I got a goby/pistol pair or else I would be extremely jealous and bugging my local fish stores for one.

Anyone else love watching the interaction between the goby and shrimp? I am always laughing while I watch them. They will sometimes have decor disagreements. My goby isn't much of a decorator, but once in a while he will have a sudden urg to move a small or shell by the caves. My shrimp instantly moves it away and my goby will try to place it back again 5mins later.

My best memory is the first time they paired up. I bought the goby first and the shrimp second because I am too cheap to pay for a pair. My goby paired up with the shrimp over night and it was amazing to see him out in the day time. Usually he is very shy and only comes out during night time or feeding time. While standing outside the cave, you could tell my goby was not only skittish and nervous, but he also extremely bored guarding the cave. However he has to listen to his shrimp. Sometimes you will even hear a little snap and the goby pop out of the cave because he wasn't doing his guarding job. No falling asleep on this job!

Here is a short video of them:

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/htm...nt=P1070343.flv

Sexy Shrimp

Brilliant!!! I've finally got a proper fix!! There's been too much talk and not enough pics in this thread. I am now satisfied...

hi everybody im getting a tank soon a 24g and i want to get 2 highfin goby and 1 pistol shrimp and wat would be the minimum depth of the sand i should have because i dont no and i need all the help could get and also do i need any special requirments for goby breeding

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a Randalli pistol to add to my Hifin that’s in a 12ap. My Hifin has only been in the tank for a month but he has been hiding under a ledge in the front of the tank only occasionally peeping his head out. I was hoping that by adding the pistol that it would make him more visible but as soon as I added the pistol, the shrimp ran to the back of the tank not to be seen for the rest of the day. This morning i got up to look for the combo and noticed that they had found each other, but it looks like they my found a good spot in the rear of the tank. Just my luck, I basic have to lying on the floor and close 1 eye looking towards the back of the tank to get a glimpse of them. But at least they found each other.

Question for all you Yasha/Postol owners... what do you think the likelihood of my yasha and pistol finding each other in my 20x20 cube :) ... right now its only been 2 days with them both in the tank and at this point i just keep waiting for glances at them to make sure they are still alive and well, but since they each have their own burrows i'd like to hear from others if you've experienced them finding each other after a while... ?

Update: Day 3 with them both in the tank and i just caught a glimpse of them coming out the Yasha's original burrow together... needless to say i'm pretty happy :)

• 2 years later...
I've seen the video of the pistol/skunk fight. I have concerns for this. I currently have a 29g BC with 1 fire shrimp, 2 peps, and 2 skunks. I would like to add a pistol/goby pair as well. What are recommendations on how to set up this addition for success?

I have the High Fin Goby and Randalls pistol shrimp in my 29 BC with a skunk shrimp and no problems. Lots of rock work helps!

My crew was out tonight keeping a close eye on, and occasionally biting, my nassarius snail that got too close to the hideout.

Nice video! My pair are so shy I never see them. I tood this picture while I was target feeding my zoanthid colony they live under. Smith (my High Fin) only pokes his head out while Wesson(my Randal's pistol) always stays in his burrow.

6a904566.jpg

My goby and pistol are always together. When I have to move my tank back and forth from school they get separated but that night they find each other again. My goby is always out. Here are a couple of photos of them

post-51511-1292344650_thumb.jpg

post-51511-1292344664_thumb.jpg

post-51511-1292344673_thumb.jpg

Archived