Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

You should probably just leave it alone. The more you mess with it the more you'll stress it out. I didn't see mine for like 3 days after I put it in the tank.

thank god just making sure it will make it in there...sux to see a fish die and also let $40 go to waste -_-

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mullingitover

My yashia disappeared five minutes after I set it loose in the tank, and I didn't see it for about 72 hours. I was very worried that I'd have to tear up my rockwork to remove its little corpse. However, it's now getting brave and I see it often.

Give your fish time, it'll get hungry eventually and that's when it'll come out looking for a meal. I'd avoid pestering it, and instead when you come to the tank, bring food. Better that it's associating you with food rather than scary taps on the glass.

Oh gosh I watched my pistol for like an hour last night. He was going to town on his like burrow. I was surprised when I came home because he had made a 3 in pile of sand in the corner. He was shifting through the rocks and taking them inside him cave...I'm a proud momma :)

quick question for everyone...and some good news my yashia is doing fine! it made a burrow underneath a rock. Would it be possible for me to buy another pistol to pair with my yashia even though i already have a watchman goby pair with a randalls?

Smurf - I'd love to buy your corals before your STUPID PROM, only your a bit too far away from me, i am very sorry for the disappointment!! Maybe i can make a donation to your PROM fund instead??

my lfs has a pair of these guys but i have quesions:

will they be okay in a nc12?

how active are they, like will i see them both alot?

when feeding do i have to directly feed the shrimp of will he catch floating food?

roninmagik1

should be okay in a nc12, what other creatures will be in there?

activity level...i'd say low, you won't see them alot, but when you do see them, it's like spotting a famous person at the mall, you get all excited and stuff...

shrimp feeding...i rarely see the pistol shrimp and even rarer it is to see him get food, but he's been alive and growing in my tank for almost a year though...i try and drop food in his burrow so i know he will get the food.

Unfortunately no, two pistols won't get along.

Not true. It is possible to have two pistol shrimps together. C7 had two together for awhile in her tank.

Oh and as far as them not attacking other fish well...just go read her thread. I think the pistol shrimp stuff is somewhere near the front.

Not true. It is possible to have two pistol shrimps together. C7 had two together for awhile in her tank.

Oh and as far as them not attacking other fish well...just go read her thread. I think the pistol shrimp stuff is somewhere near the front.

Do you have the link to the thread?

mullingitover

My crew was out tonight keeping a close eye on, and occasionally biting, my nassarius snail that got too close to the hideout.

Oh sorry, I didn't think they would get along. It just goes to prove I'm no expert by any means. I was told numberous times that two pistol would not work. They were wrong and so am I.

John Hopkins

Noobish question i know, but you guys would know best about this,

What the minimun depth of a sand bed for a Pistol/Goby Pair ?

usssturgeon187
Anyone know where I can get a pair? I live in SF bay area. Thanks.

SMURF WTF you live around some of the BEST lfs stores ! Aquarium concepts in dublin ( duh ) ! Aquatic gallery in milpitas ! The club you belong to has a list of lfs in & around the bay ! I went to Aquarium concept just to take a look around (havent been since they moved ) & ended up with a pistol & goby . And I just went to look around ! They had like 4 pistols & about 5-7 gobys to pick from . Actions speak volumes !

mullingitover

For anyone considering keeping a yashia/pistol pair in the same tank with a pom pom crab, I have this combination and I can tell you about my experience so far. They have encountered each other in the tank (BC14, small enough that this happened before long) and the goby is territorial, so it wasn't pleased to see the crab. It tried to take a nip at one of the anemones, and immediately shot back as if the crab had socked it in the nose! I don't think the goby is going to like the crab much, but as long as the pom pom has its anemones it's probably going to be safe. The pom pom is not directly attacking the fish or shrimp either, so I think they'll be compatible in the long run.

Any of you ever heard of a Yellow watchman changing colors???? I have 2 and one of them turned almost black and white....He/She is also the one that has the pistol shrimp....the other one is still yellow...

Just curious.

Bad Company
Any of you ever heard of a Yellow watchman changing colors???? I have 2 and one of them turned almost black and white....He/She is also the one that has the pistol shrimp....the other one is still yellow...

Just curious.

Wow, I just got a new yellow watchman goby and he/she is doing the same thing, turning from yelllowish to almost see-through, so it must be normal I guess.

i think it gets flown in on monday if all goes as planned, cant wait, im so excited i already have them named and i aint even met them yet, haha

Archived