Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wish it was as easy to find those around where i live....ive been trying to locate a yashia goby and randalls pistol for over a month and am having no luck at all!!!!!! its the one thing i want in my tank that im not willing to bend on, it is a must have pair, no substitutes!!!! if i ever get them ill post a pic but until then ill keep looking at thecuban1040's pic, they are a gorgeous pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone in ontario has a line on a pair please let me know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey stonedage, this probably won't help but Ryan at Where's the Reef had a couple of Yasha's in around December and pistols are commonly at Big Al's in either Mississauga or Oakville (both Tiger Pistols and Randalls). Ask Ryan and he may do a special order.

HTH

Hey stonedage, this probably won't help but Ryan at Where's the Reef had a couple of Yasha's in around December and pistols are commonly at Big Al's in either Mississauga or Oakville (both Tiger Pistols and Randalls). Ask Ryan and he may do a special order.

HTH

thank you ill call there tomorrow

grrrr WTR has none and is not getting any fish in until they move in may. called miss BA's said they get the shimp in sometimes but not the fish cause they are real expensive, duh. Called Kitchener BA's never heard of the yashia(hire a new empoyee!!!!) get the shimp in once in a while. back at square one now!!!!!

mullingitover

I got my Pistol a little over a week ago, and I got my Yashia three days ago. After I got my Yashia in the tank, I didn't see it for 48 hours. I was starting to wonder if it had died. However, last night it made an appearance! It's been out and about with the Pistol all day, and it's been awesome. They are an adorable pair. In all the appearances they made today, they were never more than two inches apart. The Pistol seems far more comfortable and confident with the Yashia around. The Yashia is still pretty skittish, but I just spent about five minutes sitting motionless watching them work. Love it.

I'm in the same situation as you Smurf... except I live in Ohio.

I don't want to order online and pay outrageous shipping charges, but nobody in the 75 mile radius has them in stock... ever.

Come onnnnn, someone HAS to know where I can get them at a cheap price! After prom...Lol<_<

GFY

Quit moaning about the stupid prom all the time, im sick and tired of hearing, prom this prom that - grrrr

GFY

Quit moaning about the stupid prom all the time, im sick and tired of hearing, prom this prom that - grrrr

What a douche. In your case:

CAN YOUBUY CORAL FROM ME BEFORE MARCH 14TH SO I CAN GO TO PROM!?!?!!

post-32717-1205161510_thumb.png

My YWG/Pistol Pair. I picked them up as a bonded pair and they've been hanging out together ever since. I have some trouble feeding them because often times my nassarius snails start crawling over and scare off the goby and shrimp before they get a chance to eat. Anybody else have a similar experience?

post-32122-1205162508_thumb.jpg

Are these both from your LFS?

yes, I picked up my pair from my LFS. Then again, they're a very good LFS and have a great eye for what they want to buy from the distributors.

mullingitover
My YWG/Pistol Pair. I picked them up as a bonded pair and they've been hanging out together ever since. I have some trouble feeding them because often times my nassarius snails start crawling over and scare off the goby and shrimp before they get a chance to eat. Anybody else have a similar experience?

post-32122-1205162508_thumb.jpg

Yes. My nassarius snail hauls ass over to start gobbling up the brine shrimp I give them. I push it away with the turkey baster, but ten seconds later it's back in action trying to eat their food. I've never seen a snail move that fast.

I try to shoot the brine shrimp into their cave where the snail can't get at it, that seems to work.

How much was the pair? If the price is right you think you can get your lfs to ship me a pair?

I believe it was less than $50 but I'm not sure. Seeing as how you're in the bay area, I am about 90% sure that you'll find at least one fish store where you are to buy a pair or have them special order a pair for you. I don't think its uncommon for LFS to get bonded pairs of gobies/pistol shrimp. In any case shipping from here in North Carolina to where you are would be pretty pricey I'd imagine...

Yes. My nassarius snail hauls ass over to start gobbling up the brine shrimp I give them. I push it away with the turkey baster, but ten seconds later it's back in action trying to eat their food. I've never seen a snail move that fast.

I try to shoot the brine shrimp into their cave where the snail can't get at it, that seems to work.

I try doing that but the snails just end up ganging up on the tunnel entrance and really dig into the hole and usually end up causing the entrance to collapse...They end up building a new entrance a day or so later but still, its quite tricky... Maybe I should try spreading food EVERYWHERE and then dropping food at the entrance? iono :/

mullingitover

btw, if anyone is interested in how the pistol shrimp's sidearm works, there's

that shows high-speed video of the cavitation bubble and a pretty thorough description of its mechanism.

well i bought another yashia goby to give it another shot and so far its just been very shy...when i tap the glass to make sure its still alive it even shots under the sand and stayed there but then i got scared it was gunna die like that and moved the sand and then it came out...should i be worried?

TheCuban1040

You should probably just leave it alone. The more you mess with it the more you'll stress it out. I didn't see mine for like 3 days after I put it in the tank.

Archived