Cultivated Reef

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

if i got a pistol shrimp, are there any other types of shrimp i can add, or will he eat them ?

any shrimp will do fine with it...including skunk cleaner or sexy shrimp

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Hopkins

ok, thanks very much.

one last question, if i got a bangaii, should i add goby before or after, or dosn't it matter ?

Here's how I feed my Goby and Tiger Pistol. Place tank water and new life spectrum pellets in a glass for a few minutes. Suck them up into a turkey baster and shoot them into the shrimps burrow. Guaranteed everyone gets fed. It works great! :)

I have a pistol shrimp as a hitchiker. It has black stripes instead of the usual red ones.

What type of pistol is that and what is the different?

There are different types of pistols, I have a red banded pistol (with the red stripes). But there's also a type of pistols that are a beautiful purple. They can be any color...it might be type of a tiger pistol? But I am no pistol expert.

I've seen the video of the pistol/skunk fight. I have concerns for this. I currently have a 29g BC with 1 fire shrimp, 2 peps, and 2 skunks. I would like to add a pistol/goby pair as well. What are recommendations on how to set up this addition for success?

I'm thinking of getting a wheeler/yellow watchman/or randalls goby with a pistol shrimp. Would those do fine in an 8 bc? Would it kill my hermits? And I'm thinking of getting the Randall pistol shrimp, at least I think its called that. Would that be the smallest?

this isnt much of a thread, wheres all the pics?!

Hi here a pic of my hiband goby(40mm) and pistol shrimp(30mm) but they also share their home with a large fireworm(approx 90mm)

post-34424-1204677134_thumb.jpg

I've seen the video of the pistol/skunk fight. I have concerns for this. I currently have a 29g BC with 1 fire shrimp, 2 peps, and 2 skunks. I would like to add a pistol/goby pair as well. What are recommendations on how to set up this addition for success?

youlle be fine...i have a sexy shrimp and a skunk cleaner in a 14 gallon biocube along with a pistol/yellow watchman pair and all they care about is making secret tunnels

mullingitover

I just picked up a yashia goby tonight. I got a pistol shrimp five days ago, and it immediately went to work making some tunnels. Tonight after the yashia acclimated, it immediately disappeared into the rock. The pistol shrimp jumped out of his tunnel as soon as I added the goby, like he was excited to have his other half show up. They're a very interesting pair.

I just got a Randall Goby and a tiger Pistol. They were paired after 10 mins. Very interesting to see them work. I'll post some pics in a few days

i wish it was as easy to find those around where i live....ive been trying to locate a yashia goby and randalls pistol for over a month and am having no luck at all!!!!!! its the one thing i want in my tank that im not willing to bend on, it is a must have pair, no substitutes!!!! if i ever get them ill post a pic but until then ill keep looking at thecuban1040's pic, they are a gorgeous pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone in ontario has a line on a pair please let me know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheCuban1040

Thanks Stonedage. They are pretty cool to watch. The Goby is finally starting to come out a little bit more. Every night at around 9PM he comes out and keeps watch while the pistol fixes the entrance to their burrow. I think the pistol might have to wage an attack on the Nassarius snails who keep burring RIGHT next to his front door. Check out this video I shot of this situation:

Is there a reason that you can't have your LFS special order them for you? This would probably make them pretty pricey though... You could also order online?

i asked at one of the more reputable store in toronto that usually gets in a large shipment of fish and inverts but the reply about 3 weeks ago was im out of the country and ill email when i return....so who know what is going on there....i wanted to give him a shot first but i am at the brink of trying somewhere else. i thought about shipping but it would have to becanadian as i think there is a huge amount to get livestock shipped cross border, one online store on the opposite side of the country has the fish but not the specific shrimp aand to get it shipped would cost s much as the fish cost, so it really seams unjust.

i have a number of snails, the usual, astrea nass. stom. marg. cerith, mex turbo, do you think that they will be safe with the pistol?

TheCuban1040

They should be safe, but the Nass snails will just piss the shrimp off. When the snail burrows under the sand he ruins the carefully designed tunnels that the Pistol makes. So he has to spend a bunch of time rebuilding them all the time.

You should check back in with that LFS. Maybe things are different in Canada but it shouldn't be that hard to have them order a pair for you.

I just recently picked up a Yashi for $45 and then found a banded pistol for $10. the pistol imediatly started his tunneling and the Yashi is now taking up residence with him. I do find the pistol sorting through the sand for bits of shell and such to build his little cave. An engineer for sure and the Yashi is now defending him from the hermits and even me wich is cool because I never saw my fish until I got the shrimp.

my pistol shrimp was paired with a watchman unfortunately my pistol shrimp decided he liked the taste of my clownfish rather than mysis or any other food offered.

Archived