Coral Vue Hydros

The Official Pistol/Goby Thread!

CR22

Gumby do you have any other fish in your 55?

And there are a few species of "shrimp gobys," all I have is the watchman, maybe someone else will chime in maybe?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I have a juvenile yellow tang, pair of true percs, salt acclimated molly. I also have a skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Nobody has ever had any beef with one another, and all seem to get along very well.

Oh do you have a pic of your whole tank?

Well to avoid hijacking the thread by posting a pic of my 55 softy, I will give you a link so you can see a bunch of pics as it has been transformed into a softy reef tank from a FOWLR since October, it's amazing to see the changes that have taken place from 10/07 till now. Check it out if you want, View my Tank thread here

Beautiful! Thanks for not hijacking. So you have a male wg or do you know? I think mines a female (yes named sebastion), I only say that because she's more of a grey yellow than a bright yellow....but what do I know.

So since I have posted on here about my pair, I have noticed that the goby is all by himself and not hangin' with the shrimp. Is it possible that they got in a fight or argument and are no longer "paired" up? I still hear "Ruger" my pistol shrimp, at night and "Sammy" my goby, has a few nips on his tail. I know this isn't from the other fish in the tank, so I'm wondering if Ruger went postal or something and started attacking the goby? Any thoughts? I have tried to target feed them but it's a tough crowd in there.

Got home tonight, and where my pistol/goby pair tunnel was located, there was a shell covering up the tunnel, i moved the shell and didn't see any tunnell...moved the rock that the tunnel lead to and the barber pole was underneath the rock, looking like...well, like a fish that was buried underneath a big hunk of rock, he was pretty torn up, he seems okay now, although he is nervous and sorta scruffy looking. No sign of the pistol shrimp, my only guess is that they got into an argument and the pistol shrimp tried to bury him and leave him for dead....tha pistol shrimp is gangsta!

Oh snap, you gotsa gangsta in yo tank!

That's funny, hope they get better with each other...

When I read the part about the fish looking scruffy, I pictured him as if he hadn't shaven his face for a few days and had overgrown stubble... You know, the picture in my head is funnier than how it reads in text.

Got home tonight, and where my pistol/goby pair tunnel was located, there was a shell covering up the tunnel, i moved the shell and didn't see any tunnell...moved the rock that the tunnel lead to and the barber pole was underneath the rock, looking like...well, like a fish that was buried underneath a big hunk of rock, he was pretty torn up, he seems okay now, although he is nervous and sorta scruffy looking. No sign of the pistol shrimp, my only guess is that they got into an argument and the pistol shrimp tried to bury him and leave him for dead....tha pistol shrimp is gangsta!

Just thought I'd mention that when the pistol shrimp gets ready to shed he will close up his cave so he is safe. They use whatever they find to do this. Mine like to steal my plate corals and the fragplugs I have in there to wall up his cave. I'm still looking for the perfect fish to pair with him though. But I have had a ywg/pistol pair in the past. They where fun.

I bought a yashia goby and 5 hours after introducing it into the tank...it died :huh: but i think it was just shipped to the LFS so i dunno what im gunna do...Tomorrow im picking up a randals pistol to go with my yellow watchman

i think this is a good question, how does everyone feed their pistol/goby combo??? My fish isn't so bad, he will jump out and get his own food, but i NEVER barely EVER see the pistol shrimp. I've been trying to throw food into his hole/tunnel area, but i'm just wondering if anyone has a better way to draw the pistol shrimp out to eat. or maybe no one ever sees the sucker, and hes a night time forager?

i think this is a good question, how does everyone feed their pistol/goby combo??? My fish isn't so bad, he will jump out and get his own food, but i NEVER barely EVER see the pistol shrimp. I've been trying to throw food into his hole/tunnel area, but i'm just wondering if anyone has a better way to draw the pistol shrimp out to eat. or maybe no one ever sees the sucker, and hes a night time forager?

I feed both my shrimp/goby pair "New Life Spectrum" sinking pellets by placing about 8-10 granules in front of their cave. The shrimp is usually the first to smell it and will come out and shovel a few into his cave. Goby usually comes out afterwards and finishes the rest off. I have also dangled a few mysis shrimp in front of the cave and the pistol shrimp often picks it off the tweezers. Best done with the pumps off to prevent blowing away any uneaten food.

I just drop the food in an they come out...mostly the goby but sometimes the pistol too. I normally see my pistol when he's out digging. Another plus about my buddy he doesn't click, or atleast I've never heard him.

John Hopkins

im new to this, but i quite like the idea of keeping a goby + pistol shrimp in the 24G tank im gonna get for my b-day, so i was wandering, ow easy are they to look after, as this is gonna be my first tank, im still a noob. Also do pistol shrimp hurt your other fish ? im planning on getting a Clownfish and a Sixline, will they get on ok ?

They are incredibly easy to care for and extremely fun to watch! I think a clown and sixline would be good with the pair. I say go for it! All I do with mine is feed them and believe it or not, I started saltwater about 5 months ago. Its not as hard as people make it out to be. Go for it!

Archived