Cultivated Reef

Monk's 20L

Monkfish

Oh man Im so sorry to hear that I know I would be seriously bummed if one of mine died I think they are my favorite addition to the tank so far.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i miss him. i don't know whether to replace or sell the female off. i would hate for it to happen again.

on a positive note, i don't believe the bluespot had anything to do with it -so you are in the clear for future additions

If you want you could add a little to the left side, maybe you could do a ledge that would still give you open space under it but a place to put corals on the side of the tank.

Maybe something like this you mean or a different approach?

before.jpg

after.jpg

after2.jpg

singmealullaby

hmmm.... i like your rockwork like it is now, but maybe it'll be even better if you add some to the left...? it's hard to tell. :huh:

willieb18

I like it the way it is. I think if you do one of the above options it will look to balanced if that makes since.

mikellini

I would just move the little rock on the left up toward the front, making it more of an island separate from the rock work...

CarterNichols

for your new rock, i would say one piece that arches, sort of like the one you have on the right, and it you could, i have seen some pieces that look like a upside down y.. that would be really cool, you could always make your own

SeeDemTails

The second after will be hard to get the rock to stay that way, without lots of glue.

Try it though, you cant be chicken when it comes to aquascaping.

Ok just cleaning tank and noticed the stuff the first two pics are the same the 3rd looks a bit different. Is it grape calupra or bubble algae and what do I do??

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

They both look like green bubble algae, of which there are several species. Some seem to be more invasive than others...Since they can get out of hand, you might want to keep the population down by manual removal. They stick pretty firmly to the substrate, so you may find it easiest to sort of pry them off by getting underneath them with a knife blade or something...

Someone will surely add that you should be careful not to pop them and release spores into your tank. There are a couple of schools of thought here. From various things I've read and my own experience, it seems that the spores released will be filtered out, eaten by your filter-feeders, and grazed by your CUC, so that such popping is not really the menace it's made out to be.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/...ature/index.php

I always have a few bubbles in my tank, and I find them attractive. :)

--Diane

Weetabix7

Looks like Bubble Algae.

Try to take the infested pieces out of the water and carefully remove the bubbles with your fingers.

I just had to deal with this myself, most annoying.

That's pretty interesting! How come you and Stoney get snails w/ cool macros on them and I only get Bryopsis on mine?...(Don't answer.)

--Diane

Monk,

You and Diane's reefs are beyond belief and an incredible inspiration for me. I'm still reef-less (the stepson begged for the 20L I scored for $50 -- he wants a brackish tank), but trying to barter off/sell my 4" refractor telescope for a 29g< setup.

Keep up the great work! :D

Got a few new corals today I only have T5's but he said they would be ok near the top .....as far as the duncan goes any suggestions on placement for that?

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

Quick Edit I just noticed this when taking pics any ideas as to what it is?

id2.jpg

id1.jpg

I don't know what that thing is, looks weird. Can you get a clearer pic?

Cool corals.

Haven't kept Duncans so can't help you on that one. Personally I would try medium light, medium flow.

The sps likes high but indirect flow and high light. Nice Monti Cap.

That is an Acetabularia, commonly known as "Mermaid's Cup", a kind of macroalgae. I have some in my tank. It will pop up here and there on your rocks, and yes even on your snails. (I have one snail with easily 20-30 stalks of the stuff sprouted off his shell, looks truly ridiculous.) It isn't invasive in the same sense caulerpa is, and is easily removed if it pops up somewhere bad, like in the middle of a coral. It grows by sprouting a thin stalk which gets an inch or so long, then the end will grow a little saucer, as shown in your picture. After a few weeks or months, the cup part will deteriorate and release spores, thus seeding the next generation of this beatiful little algae.

Neat find.

Thanks for the ID SP I never wouldve guessed it toi be algae and it looks like a flower up close weetie ill try and get a better pic.

hey quick question, where did you get the plexi glass to build your over flow and sump?

Go check any sign store they have tons of colors and thickness

Couple new pics of the Duncan .....pretty cool coral.

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1774.jpg

Monk,

You and Diane's reefs are beyond belief and an incredible inspiration for me. I'm still reef-less (the stepson begged for the 20L I scored for $50 -- he wants a brackish tank), but trying to barter off/sell my 4" refractor telescope for a 29g< setup.

Keep up the great work! :D

Thanks so much zombo but to be honest I can only hope that my tank is half of what Dianes has become.

SeeDemTails

I dont even have any LPS right now, I got rid of the wellsophylia because it was getting beat up by the clowns.

I might pick up a duncan frag about that size thats for sale for $30

This guy at the LFS is super nice he sold that to me for 25 dollars I think they were going for 18$a head so it seemed like a good deal to me. I think it has 5 heads

This guy at the LFS is super nice he sold that to me for 25 dollars I think they were going for 18$a head so it seemed like a good deal to me. I think it has 5 heads

That is a very good deal for a duncan, they can get somewhat pricey. My LFS has a very nice duncan in stock, but they wat waaaay too much for it, so i'll have to pass on that species for now. Good find!

Archived