SaltCritters.com

Monk's 20L

Monkfish

Help Majano!!!(or Aptasia?)

I noticed 2 of these things I believe to be majano they are more brown in color than white. Can I get rid of them with lime juice injections? This is what I have to use. I have like 500 of these needles so if anyone needs them (not for weekend warriors of course lol) for anything let me know.

majano1.jpg

majano.jpg

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Help Majano!!!(or Aptasia?)

I noticed 2 of these things I believe to be majano they are more brown in color than white. Can I get rid of them with lime juice injections? This is what I have to use. I have like 500 of these needles so if anyone needs them for anything let me know.

majano1.jpg

majano.jpg

The picture is too blurry to say for sure what it is.

Does it look like this?

Aiptasia7.jpg

If it does, it is an Aiptasia. Note the transparent beige-ish pointy tentacles. Also keep in mind that Aiptasia can be anywhere from completely colorless and clear to a rich brown color, depending on the conditions in which they are living. Don't take color as an indication of species.

Does it look like this?

anenome_majano_id_wwm.jpg

If it does, it is a Majano. These anemones tend to have more "color" to them, and the tips of the tentacles are blunt, rather than pointy. Majanos don't reproduce quite as fast as Aiptasias, but they are every bit as nasty to any corals unfortunate enough to be next to them.

Also consider that it may be a hitchhiking Anthelia, as they are commonly mistaken for Aiptasia, especially if they are small. Would it be possible to get a less blurry pic?

In the even that this is indeed an invasive anemone, then I would suggest trying Blue Life Aiptasia Control, I have had excellent luck with it in the past. It's pretty cheap, and generally kills the anemone in one application. I have had problems with other treatments such as Joe's Juice, as it sometimes caused the anemones to split into a bajillion tiny offspring, which is certainly the opposite of the desired effect.

NOTE: These images were shamelessly linked without permission from www.wetwebmedia.com. My thanks to the good people there for their unwitting contribution :)

I hope this helps,

Josh

It definetly looks more like the first one here is the best pic I can get they arent very east to get on camera.

DSCN1826.jpg

Good deal thanks guys and yeah its on the same $%^&in rock with the bubble algae I think Im not gonna bother with any methods and just chuck the rock out the window

SeeDemTails

I got a solution for both problems.....take the rock out.......then burn both the bubble algae and the aiptasia with a lighter, they will easily come off with tweezers. Rinse with RO and put it back in the tank, problem solved. Burning kills all the spores from the BA, and wipes out aiptasia easily, in fact they will usually drop off right when the flame hits them.

• 2 weeks later...
jokercykoe

Awesome tank build. I wouldn't add any more rock on the left side. A nice monti hanging out that side would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...
It definetly looks more like the first one here is the best pic I can get they arent very east to get on camera.

DSCN1826.jpg

You wouldn't believe it at first, but I had a couple of those and my scarlet reef hermit crab ate them. They're totally gone......I guess I just got lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I love your green clown goby! Absolutly love your tank..... If only i had the moolah i would create a ocean!!!!

Very nice tank, makes me smile.

• 2 months later...
Monk! Long time, man. Your little ocean is looking sweet. Keep up the good work!

Hey Johnny how ya been?

There isnt to much to update atm Ive been battling aptasia and such finally got it all out I hope:) Here some pics of corals I got a couple months ago that seem to be doing well and coloring up good under the T5s.

beforeandafter.jpg

And the green goby atop some of Lalanis Zoas its a bad pic though the zoas look much more red usually and the fish is blurry but you get the idea.

DSCN1918.jpg

And some GSP from lalani as well.

DSCN1942.jpg

Harleys on the back wall looking for food when they arent eating thats all they do lol. These little guys can eat!

DSCN1947.jpg

hey monk, tank is looking good. everything is growing nicely...

i was just cruising around the fish stores here and found your shrimp for sale. i have to say they are the coolest shrimps ive seen. they are around 15 bucks a pop and thought i would give them a try

i know nothing about them and just want to know and special treatment should be given towards those guys. tank is going to be mainly reef tank with a few fish gotta have the cleaner shrimp.

is it ok with just one...or do i have to get them in pairs (although there were about 10 or more of them in that tank and they seem to be bunched up together)?

hey monk, tank is looking good. everything is growing nicely...

i was just cruising around the fish stores here and found your shrimp for sale. i have to say they are the coolest shrimps ive seen. they are around 15 bucks a pop and thought i would give them a try

i know nothing about them and just want to know and special treatment should be given towards those guys. tank is going to be mainly reef tank with a few fish gotta have the cleaner shrimp.

is it ok with just one...or do i have to get them in pairs (although there were about 10 or more of them in that tank and they seem to be bunched up together)?

They have been great for me very hearty little suckers. I had one alone for a long time and it was very happy but it is alot more fun to watch them cruise around the tank together. Id say go for it I havnt had any issues with them I feed them one medium sized to large chocolate star a month they usually finish it in 2.5-3 weeks and then I give them a week off. Its pretty amazing to watch a little shrimp spin and flip a strong starfish all around and upside down. Some people will let them eat partial stars then give them new ones well the old ones regenerate in the fuge but thats to much trouble for me so I spend the 9.99 a month for the star. I had a cleaner shrimp in mine as well but he annoyed the clowns so much I took him out Im not sure how they do with other shrimp but they are great with all other tank mates and the nice thing is they dont nip at corals like a lot of shrimp do

everything sounds nice besides the fact they eat stars and urchins....not sure where i could find food for them in hong kong

someone suggested frozen food......you think that would work?

everything sounds nice besides the fact they eat stars and urchins....not sure where i could find food for them in hong kong

someone suggested frozen food......you think that would work?

Im not sure I havnt tried anything else, I know they will eat frozen star legs etc..so maybe if its not to much to ship I can send you a bunch of frozen stars? I can say go to this link and PM this guy "charlesr1958 " he breeds them and pretty much knows everything there is to about these shrimp. Check this page out as well Harlequin Shrimp

CLICKY CLICKY

• 2 months later...

Monk...."kink of the Cool Signatures"

Been too long my man...

i've been MIA raising the boy lately..

my reef is thriving although i havent added much ...

pics coming.

i'm latched onto your new thread and hope to catch up with everyone.

How the heck are you man?

life good? tanks healthy?

hows you girl?

inquiring minds want to know.

mercuryne

Archived