Coral Vue Hydros

Feedback for the Won't You be my Valentine? Frag Swap

arwndsh

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think UPS should send you that chick to make up for any loss :naughtydance:

Yeah, I agree. I could come up with a few things "Brown could do for me" to keep her busy. :P

:haha: I'm sorry Mudfish!!

Hahaha! Ain't that wild?!? I send out a little sumpin sumpin, and get the exact same thing back! But hey, brother - with the great pieces you sent me, you've got nothing to be sorry for, believe you me!

I have some pics of the coral I recieved yesterday from Mudfish. Everything looks great!!! Thank you so much!!!

Man, I'm glad you like. I just wish it was more/better - like I said, you got the very best I had to give, that's for sure. That rainbow acanthastrea is originally from our friend mvite; it eats like a pig and grows like crazy. Beautiful under the actinics, too. And the Capnella is originally from tashayar - she's such a sweetheart!

I like keeping track of the lineage of these corals, ya know?

Hahaha! Ain't that wild?!? I send out a little sumpin sumpin, and get the exact same thing back! But hey, brother - with the great pieces you sent me, you've got nothing to be sorry for, believe you me!

:lol: to be truthful...I've been trying to get rid of that stuff :) That was my biggest of about 25 pieces that have popped up, and the branches were starting to droop again, so I tossed it in for you to deal with before it made even more babies ;)

Anyway - gad you like the rest. You've got the "first edition" frags of all the others (except the pokerstar, which was a lucky find at Mr. Coral's "Midnight Madness" sale for the locals).

Package was finally delivered this morning. Too bad I'm at work (I was at home all week until today) and won't be able to see it until about 4:00 pm today.

:unsure:

i just got mine! thanks shivametimbas! things are in the tank right now getting acclimated. looks like i got two zoa frags (for the pico), three montis (i think), and an what looks to be amazingly beautiful acro.

shipping was a little hard on a couple of the frags. one of the montis broke into three small pieces and another broke in two. i'll post pics in a bit to solicit some better identifications and some recommendations for nurturing the hurt frags back to health.

all in all, things look great and i'm really happy with what i got. everything arrived warm, although the heat pack was a little cool when i opened (and has since gotten really hot again).

shivametimbas

there should have been a lil note with the types of corals. but yeah, you got it about right. monti digi, monti cap, green bridnest, and 2 different palys.

just found the note on my floor :)

reeferman-chris

Looks like the shipper for my 2nd swap sent the package 2 day shipping so it's scheduled to arrive by 7pm tonight. I'll keep you updated

okay... here are the pics. anyone have any ideas as to how best to care for the hurt guys? i'm thinking that the broken piece of the digi gets some glue and its own frag plug, but i have no idea about the one in three pieces...

arrival:

frag_swap8.jpg

acclimation:

frag_swap7.jpg

hurt digi:

frag_swap6.jpg

hurt monti cap?:

frag_swap5.jpg

green birds nest:

frag_swap4.jpg

pink monti cap:

frag_swap1.jpg

pink paly:

frag_swap3.jpg

greenish paly (hasn't fully opened yet):

frag_swap2.jpg

shivametimbas

looks like you have 9 frags now.

just glue em, the caps are pretty tough. at least it was that cap. sucks that the digi broke but oh well, now ya got two.

the broke cap is has a plating growth, the other has a cup like growth. the pink paly is one of these:

pinkgroup.jpg

the other palys are:

yellowpalys.jpg

glad they made it to you "ok"

okay... here are the pics. anyone have any ideas as to how best to care for the hurt guys? i'm thinking that the broken piece of the digi gets some glue and its own frag plug, but i have no idea about the one in three pieces...

If you want one bigger piece, you could glue the undersides back together like puzzle pieces, and glue that to a frag plug, and it'll grow back together. Or, you could just glue them onto their own plugs. Shouldn't hurt either way.

They all still have flesh on them, so they should be ok. the monti cap you can glue it back together or make it into separate frags.

shivametibas Im gonna send you somemore corals next week to make up for the ones that didnt make it.

shivametimbas

it wasnt your fault man. although it would be hella cool to get something that actually survives shipping, you dont have to. i am super happy that wtfe's stuff arrived alive.

i've had the smallest crumb of that cap live and grow. shouldnt be a problem.

hope you enjoy everything man.

I feel bad that you didnt get stuff that lived, thats the point of the swap so Im gonna get some frags together and ship them out next week. Hopefully with better weather.

I feel bad that you didnt get stuff that lived, thats the point of the swap so Im gonna get some frags together and ship them out next week. Hopefully with better weather.

if you're running low on stuff, I can toss in a couple of monti frags

EDIT: and a few hundred kenya trees :)

the green LPS is dead

fromo my understanding.. the acclimation shouldnt have caused death in 48hours (not even)

It was probably an accumulation of factors that caused it to die, not just one simple thing.

It experienced stress from shipping, stress from acclimation, and stress from being in a different environment. It's possible that the parameters in your tank are quite different from what it was used to being in. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your system, not at all. I'm saying that you may keep your tank at a different salinity and temp, you may have placed it in much higher flow than what it's accustomed to.

It was probably all of these things together that caused it's demise and there's really no way for us to know for sure what was the last straw for it.

The one thing I can say for sure is that the green lps you initially showed a pic of during acclimation looked healthy, and the second pic you showed of it was not good at all. When I saw that second pic, I didn't give it better than a 50% chance of surviving in my own mind.

It's one of those things you just have to learn from and go on.

At least you got 2 good corals out of it, y'know?

reeferman-chris

Just got the frag from my 2nd shipment in the tank. I was a little frightened when I saw how it was packed simply in 1 of those thin Kordon Fish Bags w/ a heat pack and no styrofoam insulation on the box at all. It was a frag of zoas so I think they should be fine. I just dropped them off on a quick break from work. So when I get home I'll give them a quick Tech D dip just for good measure.

I didn't get the screen name of the person who sent but I just wanted to say Thank You!!!! I'll post somje pics of the packing and frag tonight

Chris

Archived