inTank Media Baskets

Feedback for the Won't You be my Valentine? Frag Swap

arwndsh

Ok, I'll remember that, less paper under the heat packs. There was actually a reason I did that. I had a package show up with a wet heat pack. Everything was stone cold. Of course, it was shipped in zip lock bags and no larger bag over that, several leaked and the postmaster wasn't too happy as the box was wet too. Maybe if I put a bit of paper around the sides to soak up any little bit of water. Didn't want the bags melting either, I read that has happened too.

What rating were the heat packs you sent out? I think that is what Louie3 used to ship mine to me. Any chance they are still going to be active two days out?

if it's supposed to be delivered to your home, you might call the postmaster first thing in the morning and have them hold it at the post office, so that it's at least in a warm building instead of on the cold truck.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if it's supposed to be delivered to your home, you might call the postmaster first thing in the morning and have them hold it at the post office, so that it's at least in a warm building instead of on the cold truck.

Thanks, Already done. Whenever I have an express come in, they call me the minute it arrives. The post office is two blocks from my house. I'll have it in hand 5 minutes after it arrives in my town. They usually come in on the 10:30 am truck.

Mrseptember15

Kay so I went to the post office and they were looking for my package and ended up telling me that a mail carrier is on her way to my house with the package already so I run to my car and go to my house and find the package at my doorstep. I open the box up to find they're in a thermos then I open the thermos to find that they're in a bag, then I open the bag to find that they're all in little bags. They look great, I have no idea what they are. =) Pictures to come!

reeferman-chris
---

ZOAS ARE ACCLIMATING. THANKS AGAIN CHRIS

IT'S LIKE DOUBLE SURPRISE WAITING FOR THEM TO OPEN :D:D:D:D:D

I hope you like them! They are some of my faves... Especially the pd's!

Chris

So, my tracking number is the same as jpndave's tracking number?

EO 944 243 028 US

:unsure:

I'm so sorry about that I have no idea how I managed to do that. :( I'm glad Daniel fixed it for ya (although I'm going to have to give him a talking to later :angry: ).

Adin don't worry I delete the special ones I get from you right after I read them. ;)

Oh forgot to mention some of the packages that where supposed to go out today got held up due to weather conditions and will be shipped out tomorrow. Hopefully we will have better luck with tomorrows round of packages. :)

shivametimbas

dt,

i got them in this afternoon. looks like they had a rough trip. they had cold water and were all knocked off of their plugs.they all were white. the heat pack was slightly warm. i reglued them and aclimated em.

hoping for the best, you sent some nice stuff! mch appreciated. i will keep you all informed of their progress.

dt sent a blue/teal staghorn

idaho grape and green birdnest.

after unpacking them i grabbed the heat pack to throw it away... it was warmer than when i opened the package. i went to work and kept it in my hoodie pocket and it kept my hands nice and toasty. it is still going strong.

what gives with the heat packs? how do you keep them supplied with air and not compromise the warmth ?

thanks again dt. i appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that, I try to leave room for air to flow through. I've always shipped that way and never had a problem. I hate UPS. let me know how they do.

shivametimbas

yeah, i agree about UPS. bad weather sucks worse though i think. maybe its a toss up! i'll keep ya posted. at least i dont have a tree threw my roof like my neighbor.

dt,

i got them in this afternoon. looks like they had a rough trip. they had cold water and were all knocked off of their plugs.they all were white. the heat pack was slightly warm. i reglued them and aclimated em.

hoping for the best, you sent some nice stuff! mch appreciated. i will keep you all informed of their progress.

dt sent a blue/teal staghorn

idaho grape and green birdnest.

after unpacking them i grabbed the heat pack to throw it away... it was warmer than when i opened the package. i went to work and kept it in my hoodie pocket and it kept my hands nice and toasty. it is still going strong.

what gives with the heat packs? how do you keep them supplied with air and not compromise the warmth ?

thanks again dt. i appreciate it.

You could try giving them a dip to help them recover. Kent Marine's Tech-D is best, but Lugol's works in a pinch.

TECH-D

5ml or 1 teasp. Tech-D

1 quart tankwater

8 mins, rinse before returning to tank

LUGOL'S

1 cup tankwater

1 drop Lugol's Iodine

3 mins.

One thing I've been experimenting with lately on heat packs is to cut a small hole in the middle of the very top piece of insulation and tape the heat pack directly under that hole. I place tape on all sides of the heat pack. That way air reaches the heat pack but the cold air doesn't make it past the heat pack because of the tape.

I will also tell you that no matter how carefully I pack lately, if the package is received in a cold area, the bag water is usually in the area of 65 degrees.

Sorry to hear about your shipment shiva - hope they pull through for you. Might be time to get the "how to ship" thread going with some actual testing of various methods and see what works best.

*sigh*...ice storm in the NE. This could make for some issues for people shipping up this direction. USPS is still flying out of Baltimore tonight as of now, so I'm hoping the one I sent will be okay fingerscrossed

now......WHERES THE PICS?!?!?

You could try giving them a dip to help them recover. Kent Marine's Tech-D is best, but Lugol's works in a pinch.

TECH-D

5ml or 1 teasp. Tech-D

1 quart tankwater

8 mins, rinse before returning to tank

LUGOL'S

1 cup tankwater

1 drop Lugol's Iodine

3 mins.

One thing I've been experimenting with lately on heat packs is to cut a small hole in the middle of the very top piece of insulation and tape the heat pack directly under that hole. I place tape on all sides of the heat pack. That way air reaches the heat pack but the cold air doesn't make it past the heat pack because of the tape.

I will also tell you that no matter how carefully I pack lately, if the package is received in a cold area, the bag water is usually in the area of 65 degrees.

I did have a shipment come in a few days ago at 76-77 degrees, all 11 bags were between those temps, when it came out of the box (I have an infrared/laser heat gun, it is very accurate). My outside temps were just over 10 degrees. This shipment was packaged exactly like I sent to Tasha (Well, maybe a little less paper under the heat packs :rolleyes: I opened it quickly, It was a large high end shipment, what can I say I was excited). In fact, it was the exact packaging I sent Tasha, new heat packs, newspaper and bags otherwise the same. The guy I purchased from farms (for Tyree I think, or one of the other high end places).

Anyway, I am sure you have way more experience shipping than I do, receiving too I would guess. Just my experiences. That last package I received was packaged perfectly and everything arrived minimally stressed, all sps and mostly acros.

Im actually very pissed off over it. I shipped it like I always do and made sure the heat pack activated before I closed it up. Sounds like ups mishandled it to have the frags break off the plugs.

I knew when I checked the tracking number and it said adverse weather conditions in shipment that wasnt good.

Biblesue is right I have done the same zero problems her shipment to me was still 75 degrees and it was 13 degrees here today!!

I used a 60 hr. heat pack that I carried in my pocket for about an hour. I put newspaper in the bottom of the box lined with silver lined styro. I used a plastic Wal-Mart bag next. I put 6 frags in small bags with a small amount of water & used the impulse sealer to close. Inserted each smal bag in another small bag & sealed again. I put 3 each in a larger 2 ml bag & sealed that with some air inside. (Not too much so it doesn't burst in flight). The 2 bags went into the Wal-Mart bag with packing peanuts around them but not filling the box making room for air. I put a few peanuts on the Wal-Mart bag, folded a sheet of newspaper in quarters In put it on top. That mostly filled the top of the box. I put the warm heat pack on top of that & put the styro top on the box. My thinking is that the silver lining helps hold in the heat when it is so cold outside. JMO HTH

I used a 60 hr. heat pack that I carried in my pocket for about an hour. I put newspaper in the bottom of the box lined with silver lined styro. I used a plastic Wal-Mart bag next. I put 6 frags in small bags with a small amount of water & used the impulse sealer to close. Inserted each smal bag in another small bag & sealed again. I put 3 each in a larger 2 ml bag & sealed that with some air inside. (Not too much so it doesn't burst in flight). The 2 bags went into the Wal-Mart bag with packing peanuts around them but not filling the box making room for air. I put a few peanuts on the Wal-Mart bag, folded a sheet of newspaper in quarters In put it on top. That mostly filled the top of the box. I put the warm heat pack on top of that & put the styro top on the box. My thinking is that the silver lining helps hold in the heat when it is so cold outside. JMO HTH

Thanks for that. I appreciate the EXACT description BibleSue. I think you may be on to something with the foil lined foam. I am going to look into getting some of that.

BTW, what is an impulse sealer?

:angry: meh...

ice storm...i wish it on you...

Ya, give it to LA, why should we have all the fun!

Mrseptember15

Thanks Adin for the amazing frags! Best Valetine ever :bowdown:

bag:

DSC06170.jpg

bags on top of Tasha's bag =)

DSC06171.jpg

Chaeto:

DSC06182.jpg

Snail (1 of 2)

DSC06180.jpg

DSC06179.jpg

DSC06178.jpg