Pod Your Reef

Nanoty's 40 breeder.......

nanoty

I went with what my wife told me to do. I really wanted to stain it a walnut color. Unfortunately, wifey isn't into the wood grain look. The tank is in my office. The desk in there is black so I was gonna use a black stain. Again... wifey didn't want to see the grain. I ended up PAINTING it black. Blastphemy I know... In the end, the wood grain still came through. I wish I'd just used black stain....

It was one of those compromises... I'll let you have a fish tank, but you have to paint it...

LOL, yeah I would paint it black but I know the grain would still shine through so stain it is. Looks like you put something under your tank to raise it up too. The trim just barely covers my trim so I think I am going to leave it as is. Need to get some stuff to work on the canopy. Still thinkin about the retro. The illiming.com retro only takes up 3 inches and has and electronic balance.

Want to sell your holesaw? :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL, yeah I would paint it black but I know the grain would still shine through so stain it is. Looks like you put something under your tank to raise it up too. The trim just barely covers my trim so I think I am going to leave it as is. Need to get some stuff to work on the canopy. Still thinkin about the retro. The illiming.com retro only takes up 3 inches and has and electronic balance.

Want to sell your holesaw? :)

I put some of that foam from HD under my tank. I thought it would compress more than it did, so the rim sticks up a little bit. I'm still glad I put it there because I think it helps distribute the weight better.

Unfortunately, I sold my drill bits already. The good news is, you can get a set of 3 off ebay for like $25 including shipping. That's what I did then sold them when I was done for $20. 2.50 / hole ain't a bad deal :P

Ben

I put some of that foam from HD under my tank. I thought it would compress more than it did, so the rim sticks up a little bit. I'm still glad I put it there because I think it helps distribute the weight better.

Unfortunately, I sold my drill bits already. The good news is, you can get a set of 3 off ebay for like $25 including shipping. That's what I did then sold them when I was done for $20. 2.50 / hole ain't a bad deal :P

Ben

Oh well, need to order some. Been thinking about livestock also. I just put a firefish in my NC after not having any fish for a year. It has been nice but I think I want some fish in this one.

Thinking about:

Pair of clowns (wife has to have clowns but I want something different, black and whites maybe)

At least one Yasha goby and pistol shrimp

Yellowhead jawfish

4 or 5 neon gobies

Something to that swims in the water column. Scared of coral eating angels, may get a small tang just to piss people off :P

I'm colorblind too so I can appreciate having to rely on the wife for color help. She LOVE's helping with water tests. "Hey honey, can you match these test tubes for me?" That's most of the reason I haven't tested my water in 6 months! It isn't that she won't help, its just a pain to get help every time.

I'm colorblind too so I can appreciate having to rely on the wife for color help. She LOVE's helping with water tests. "Hey honey, can you match these test tubes for me?" That's most of the reason I haven't tested my water in 6 months! It isn't that she won't help, its just a pain to get help every time.

That's exactly what I have to do. "Hey honey what color does this this look like?" She hears that a lot. Nice tank BTW.

Bumparoo for some insight.

Things I still need:

Plumbing:

-PVC

-Bulkheads

-Holesaws

-Loc-line

-Sump and baffles (20H)

-Skimmer (I like Bdare's new one)

-Overflow (Built by thecowkid)

-Pumps (QO 4000's for return and CL?)

Lights:

-2x150w illuming.com retros (unless someone knows of a better setup)

-36" T5 retro (if needed)

LR and sand:

-There are quite a few deals around here all the time for LR for $2-3/lb, if I can't find a good deal I will be looking at PA.

-Not sure about sand yet. I hate coarse sand but I don't want it blown around.

What am I forgetting and what do you think of the choices.

I really like the tropic of eden sand and LR from PA.

Everything else looks good depending on how you lay it all out!

Order your drill bits now. If you get the ebay ones they take 10-14 days to show up.

I really like the tropic of eden sand and LR from PA.

Everything else looks good depending on how you lay it all out!

Order your drill bits now. If you get the ebay ones they take 10-14 days to show up.

I was actually thinking of ordering the hole saw from here as well as my loc-line. If I stick with the way I am thinking I will only have 2, possibly 3 holes. One for the CL, and one for the main drain and possibly an extra for a backup drain incase the main gets plugged.

I will have to check out that sand, that is one of the only things I haven't really checked into.

Where did you snag your skimmer from? Sounds like you got a good deal. I am getting tired of jacking around with my LFS. I usually don't mind paying a little more and the sales tax, but they really suck at getting stuff I need despite the "SPECIAL ORDERS WELCOME" sign over their door. It is getting really old.

EDIT: cause I am an idiot and forgot to put the link

If you are just going to use a couple 4000's then you should be able to get fine sand. I have all kinds of flow in my tank and yeah it did blow the sand around a little at first, but once the pumps put the sand where they wanted it - it stopped. It actually made a bunch of little cool looking "sand dunes" in the tank.

I'm ready to see some more progress here buddy..... Less talk, more action!!! :D

I got my skimmer from oceansaquariums.com. It's VERY new and lots of the regular places don't have it yet. I'd say if you only need 1 size hole saw go for it. I got 3 different sizes delivered for $25.

If you are just going to use a couple 4000's then you should be able to get fine sand. I have all kinds of flow in my tank and yeah it did blow the sand around a little at first, but once the pumps put the sand where they wanted it - it stopped. It actually made a bunch of little cool looking "sand dunes" in the tank.

I'm ready to see some more progress here buddy..... Less talk, more action!!! :D

Money, money, money........ :P You guys need to remember I work part-time and the wife is a teacher so we are not exactly raking in the dough here :happy: .

I have fully funded my build so far by selling and trading stuff I already have. I am out of school for Spring Break this week so I should be able to pile on the hours and make up some ground. As I mentioned, all the plumbing including, pumps, sump, skimmer, etc should be ordered next week if everything goes well.

I still need to sell a few other tanks and that should net me my lights, sand and rocks :happydance:

Seriously... what is this??? Page 7 or 8 and still no water in the tank? I'm having doubts this tank will ever come to be.

;)

Seriously... what is this??? Page 7 or 8 and still no water in the tank? I'm having doubts this tank will ever come to be.

;)

Too far to stop now. :D

Where in SE Texas are you located? I have a bunch of pvc fittings and such that I'd be happy to donate to the cause.

I just wanna see some water in that damn thing.

Where in SE Texas are you located? I have a bunch of pvc fittings and such that I'd be happy to donate to the cause.

I just wanna see some water in that damn thing.

Tell me about it :angry: . Seriously though I swear to God my wife is going to pop if this kid isn't born soon. Technically we still have a few weeks but 2 weeks ago we had.....she had to have an extra ultrasound because he was measuring big. Turns out they estimated him at 6lbs 3oz and that was 5-6 weeks before due date :huh:

Anyways, I am in Groves near Beaumont and humbly accept donated items and gladly pay for shipping. I might be headed to Houston in the next few weeks to visit the folks in Katy so maybe we can hook up.

I am out of money.........literally so until I get my check from this week (next week) nothing is happening. If my plans are correct I should be able to buy most my plumbing stuff next week. Here is the list.

Skimmer: Coralife 65 (yeah I know, not the best but need something in budget, will upgrade later)

Pumps: 2x QO4000s (enough pump for CL and return?)

Overflow: Yes thecowkid, I am almost ready and will get you dimensions soon

Hard and soft plumbing: I budgeted about $100-130 for tubing, PVC, bulkheads, glass hole saws and locline

I am looking for a used 20H with no avail, I just hate to pay $40 for a freaking tank no one will ever see.

Definitely let me know if you come to my side of town. I live just outside Katy and I'll buy the beer.

Once you have finalized your plumbing plans just let me know what you are looking for in the way of fittings. I'll see what I can do to help a bro out.

Tell me about it :angry: . Seriously though I swear to God my wife is going to pop if this kid isn't born soon. Technically we still have a few weeks but 2 weeks ago we had.....she had to have an extra ultrasound because he was measuring big. Turns out they estimated him at 6lbs 3oz and that was 5-6 weeks before due date :huh:

Anyways, I am in Groves near Beaumont and humbly accept donated items and gladly pay for shipping. I might be headed to Houston in the next few weeks to visit the folks in Katy so maybe we can hook up.

I am out of money.........literally so until I get my check from this week (next week) nothing is happening. If my plans are correct I should be able to buy most my plumbing stuff next week. Here is the list.

Skimmer: Coralife 65 (yeah I know, not the best but need something in budget, will upgrade later)

Pumps: 2x QO4000s (enough pump for CL and return?)

Overflow: Yes thecowkid, I am almost ready and will get you dimensions soon

Hard and soft plumbing: I budgeted about $100-130 for tubing, PVC, bulkheads, glass hole saws and locline

I am looking for a used 20H with no avail, I just hate to pay $40 for a freaking tank no one will ever see.

Don't be ashamed of the CSS65, mine works great on my tank. I know my system has only been up and running for a little over 9 months, but it's been pretty successful for the most part so far. Any problems I've ever had were my fault, and not due to inadequate equipment. I'd say that the $50 I spent on my used CSS65 is the best investment I've made for the tank to date.

I feel sorry for your wife. I remember how miserable mine was the last couple weeks of her pregnancy. It sounds like she's gonna be in for a rough ride with that little guy.

Yeah she is pretty swollen. I think she is ready to get him out but I don't know if I'm ready. It's pretty easy to take care of him now, all I have to do is watch out for my wife. I guess there isn't much I can do.

In other news, my father is bringing his fine tooth miter saw this weekend and I think we are going to try and cut the canopy like I was talking about. Wish me luck at not efing it up, I really don't want to buy another one.

How did the canopy cutting go?

It didn't, lol. The saw is in the garage but I had an Environmental Analysis exam the first day back to school and I have a Meteorology exam tomorrow. I need to pick up some hinges at Lowes tomorrow and will probably take care of it tomorrow also.

I am also picking up a CSS125 from bobby on this sight and need to pick up some plumbing stuff to get this going.

I need a 2 pumps, I would like them around 1000gph and am looking for some used ones if anyone sees anything let me know.

I did it! I cut that biatch up! I borrowed my dads miter hand saw and taped off what I wanted to cut then started slow and cut until my arm went numb. I jumped the cut a few times and made a few very small mistakes but they are barely noticable and some sanding and stain will cover that up.

I bought some hinges at Lowes and it opens and closes great and gives me tons of room to work in the tank. Here is a crap ton of pics to make the thread a tad bit more interesting.

IMG_4247.jpg

All or nothing.

IMG_4249.jpg

After about 20 minutes of arm numbing sawing one side is done.

IMG_4250.jpg

Done, notice the crap ton of baby stuff around and the fact that I did all this in the kitchen, lol.

IMG_4252.jpg

BAM!!!!!!!!

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

What do you think? I think it looks sweet but that is just me. It is exactly how I wanted it to look and I cannot believe I didn't totally ef it up.

I should be ordering glass hole saws and plumbing crap this weekend.

Archived