Coral Vue Hydros

Nanoty's 40 breeder.......

nanoty

nice, that seems like a steal at $100.

Lol thanks. He had 2 of them and I wanted them both but the other one got bought before I could tell him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol thanks. He had 2 of them and I wanted them both but the other one got bought before I could tell him.

That will serve your purpose for awhile. Good deal dude.

Nice, I think I would replace the outside actinic with a 50/50 though. ou may find that it is too blue with the current configuration.

I was actually thinking about that. I think I will wait until it is on the tank with rocks then make the decision.

If you still need a canopy, why don't you check with HogWinslow, he's a member here on NR.

He has made and sold several canopy's here before:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...5&hl=canopy

Here's a link to his websight: http://hometown.aol.com/hogshoods/HogsHoods.html/

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

That will serve your purpose for awhile. Good deal dude.

Indeed, it is killing me that there are all these great deals locally on LR and livestock from other local reefers but I am so far from being ready.

Ordered today:

Drsfostersmith Refractometer

API Saltwater Test Kit

API Reefmaster Test Kit

MJ900 (for nanocube)

Still debating on RO units but most likely going with the Water General. Probably going to decide and order in the next few days.

Ordered today:

Drsfostersmith Refractometer

API Saltwater Test Kit

API Reefmaster Test Kit

MJ900 (for nanocube)

Still debating on RO units but most likely going with the Water General. Probably going to decide and order in the next few days.

New swag is here.....yayz.

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

I swear to God I am going to keep bumping this SOB until someone participates :angry: .

:P Anyways, I have a similar situation to the guy who came into some money. I just sold some crap and now have about $550 to blow on this tank and I need help with what to do. Here is what I am thinking.

The stand/canopy combo I am looking at is $350 shipped that leaves me with about $200 which I was thinking I could use for a decent RO/DI unit and my drill bits for the glass and bulkheads.

That would pretty much take care of all the "expensive" items (except of course for the LR) so I could piece the rest of the plumbing, pumps, sump equipment, etc.

The other option is to buy the Petco stand for about $125 and a RO/DI unit for about $150 which would leave me money to buy the plumbing and pumps and maybe a few other duds.

I also would like to know what a good/economical skimmer for a tank this size would be. I have never used one so I am not farmiliar with any brands. Also, I already have a 10g and 15g tank and was going to use one for a sump/fuge. I assume the 15g would be better but should I buy a 20L or 29g for that instead?

Please help me out with my decisions, my wife is no help at all. I thing I would like to run a canopy but that is quite a bit more money for the combo, what are your thoughts??????

I just bought that refractometer, and, actually, just calibrated it minutes ago. Seems decent. I say go with as big a sump as you can fit under that stand. If nothing else, it will give you more options.

My .02$

-Nate

Oh yeah, and open-top rules all. Ditch the canopy idea and hang that SOB.

I just bought that refractometer, and, actually, just calibrated it minutes ago. Seems decent. I say go with as big a sump as you can fit under that stand. If nothing else, it will give you more options.

My .02$

-Nate

Oh yeah, and open-top rules all. Ditch the canopy idea and hang that SOB.

Thanks, they were out of the calibration fluid when I bought it so I haven't had a chance to jack with it. I think I am going to take it too my LFS and see if they will calibrate it for me so I can start using it. I was thinking about getting a 20L for the sump but not sure if it is better to have a taller tank like a 29g.

Thanks, they were out of the calibration fluid when I bought it so I haven't had a chance to jack with it. I think I am going to take it too my LFS and see if they will calibrate it for me so I can start using it. I was thinking about getting a 20L for the sump but not sure if it is better to have a taller tank like a 29g.

i thought you just use distill water to caliberate the refractometer?

i thought you just use distill water to caliberate the refractometer?

Apparently that is debatable. There is a thread in the gen discussion forum about it and no one can agree.

dang hmm this whole time i've been using distilled water, i guess all is well as long as the water you're using matches up with the number of other water sources? i.e. caliberate it with distill water , test my water, and then test SW bough from fish shop and if they match up. all is well?

Hey, I built an open stand out of 1x4 pine for about $45. It is very basic, but could easily be modified to add doors or other accessories. I can draw the plans for you if you're interested. (see the stand in my tank thread signature) I chose to go without a hood, as I think the lights are cool looking.

Looks like you got a great deal on lighting. Smart idea purchasing RO/DI system too. I'm happy I did. I'm looking forward to seeing this sucker in action. I'm thinking my next build will be a dual 40b setup.

the octopus skimmers would work well for you and easy mods to make it better than it is.

I was looking at the Octopus, I guess I just need to look around and see who is having success with what. What type of mods are necessary to make it a good skimmer?

Hey, I built an open stand out of 1x4 pine for about $45. It is very basic, but could easily be modified to add doors or other accessories. I can draw the plans for you if you're interested. (see the stand in my tank thread signature) I chose to go without a hood, as I think the lights are cool looking.

Looks like you got a great deal on lighting. Smart idea purchasing RO/DI system too. I'm happy I did. I'm looking forward to seeing this sucker in action. I'm thinking my next build will be a dual 40b setup.

I was thinking about building my own stand but honestly I am no good at wood work. I really want this to look as nice as possible since I plan on having it around for a while. I like open top tanks also but eventually I am going to install some MH retros and it will be easiest if I can just mount them under a canopy. The dul MH fixtures out there are a little too expensive for my taste.

Also, since the tank is in the kitchen/dinning room I kinda want a closed top to keep things out of it especially since my first offspring is on the way. I know it will be a while before things start flying but if I am going to do a canopy later I might as well have everything match now so I don't have to redo it later.

The stand/canopy I am going with is the same that bdare used in his 40g breeder build if anyone is interested although the guy is going to shorten the canopy a few inches so it is not as tall as the tank is.

Keep the input coming I enjoy the attention :P

Edit: Didn't mean to make another post, I thought it would add it to the other one.

I think I would go with a 15 gal for the sump. I think its only 20 inches long. That would give you room in the stand for an ATO reservoir, calcium reactor, etc. You know, future projects. A 20 long will take up the whole inside of the stand.

Bigger is better, so if there's a taller tank in that length, go with that.

I went with the 29g Tall for my sump/fuge and love the amount of water that thing holds. I had a HOB skimmer (Red Sea Prizm) which skims pretty well but of course running the 29g and the skimmer take up all my space in my cabinet. I ended up hanging my old freshwater florescent in the cabinet over the sump. Check my sig for what I did...

g/l with the decisions :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping to use a tank I already had but don't mind spending a few bucks for a larger sump. How about configurations? I was originally thinking of the intake side housing the skimmer and heaters, the a bubble trap to the middle section with chaeto (what about a DSB) then a wall to the pump section which will also house the ATO switch. Any suggestions there?

Anyone have any other ideas for skimmers besides the Octopus? Definately thinking about it but would like to explore all options in that general price range.

if you setup your sump skimmer - return - fuge, you can regulate the flow through the fuge with a ball valve and dial it down for maximum efficiency

if you setup your sump skimmer - return - fuge, you can regulate the flow through the fuge with a ball valve and dial it down for maximum efficiency

I started mine out that way. The problem is microbubbles. Even with a bubble trap after the skimmer section too many bubbles made thier way to the return pump. By putting the return on the opposite side of the drain the bubbles have more time to escape.

Ben

I started mine out that way. The problem is microbubbles. Even with a bubble trap after the skimmer section too many bubbles made thier way to the return pump. By putting the return on the opposite side of the drain the bubbles have more time to escape.

Ben

That is why I was thinking about doing it that way, to make sure and keep the microbubbles out. I may be mistaken but I think Glenn did the same thing.

coralife super skimmer is what i got. And i like.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it.

I need to call the guy about the stand and canopy and discuss some options and custom stuff. Nothing fancy just some mods I want. Then I can order my RO/DI unit. I think I am going to go with the Water General unit if I can find one on ebay.

Archived