Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nanoty's 40 breeder.......

nanoty

Well I emailed the guy building my stand and canopy and he said he was fixing to ship it out then realized be had built a 55g setup instead of a 40 breeder. Yeah sure. Either he is stalling because he is behind, which isn't nessecary because I am not in a hurry, or he is really forgetfull because we spoke on the phone many times and through email as well.

Anyways, I think he is back on track but I don't know how long it is going to take to finish and ship. I just put another one of my tanks up for sale locally and plan to use that money to buy my drill bits and all my plumbing equipment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. receipts suck, I'm an accountant and I've kept my for giggles, I'm at 3K and I don't even have the stand built yet.

Tagging along to keep my entertained as I wait for my build to get moving.

You will be happy with that RO/DI unit , I have been using the same one for two years now and make an average of 25 gallons a week , still making 0 TDS water with original DI resin & filters . Good unit for the money .

You will be happy with that RO/DI unit , I have been using the same one for two years now and make an average of 25 gallons a week , still making 0 TDS water with original DI resin & filters . Good unit for the money .

That is awesome to hear. Check back after the weekend as I plan to install it it and the 55g holdin barrell this Sunday. I may also set up another RM tub for saltwater mixing.

oh yeah and I got the same unit...so far 150 gallons and 0 tds. If you need some ideas check out what i did on my thread for holding the tubing in place.

That's great, I guess I made a good choice.........for once. I checked out your thread, you got a lot of stuff going on but that tanks gonna be sweet. One of these days this one will be up and running.

Well I haven't heard back from my stand/canopy maker in a few days. I know it's too soon to worry but if he thinks I won't hunt him down he is dead wrong :P

I know it won't help me get the tank running any faster but I sure would like to get it off the ground so I an at least look like I am making some head way.

Anyways, here's hoping for the best.

YAYS!!!! Got my RO/DI installed today and it's currently filling up my storage tank. I decided to put it in my laundry room out of the way but still fairly close to my tank. Here is are the pics and story to the install.

I had to run to Lowes for some a hose to replace my sinks coldwater supply line. If my house wasn't eleventy billion years old I would not have done this. Here is our JR terrier helping me install the inline feed valve.

IMG_4158.jpg

Here it is installed in the supply line.

IMG_4159.jpg

I used Voo-Doo magic to make my RO unit mount itself on the side of the counter...........actually I used two screws, but they were Voo-Doo screws.

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Inline TDS meter.

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

Hooking everything up. If you are familiar with this unit you will probably notice where I screwed up. It is fixed now.

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

The ice chest was for catching water while I unscrewed up the plumbing.

IMG_4179.jpg

55g storage tank. Should be enough huh? :P

IMG_4180.jpg

Plumbed up with float valve.

IMG_4181.jpg

When I hooked up the TDS meter I accidentally put the "out" probe in the waste water line instread of the filtered water line so it was showing 80ppm in and like 400ppm out. I was going WTF!?!?! Then I realized I was mentally retarted and fixed it. Now it is 80ppm in (not bad huh) and 0ppm out, yayz :D .

The pressure gauge shows about 55psi of pressure which made me happy because I really thought I was going to have to get a pump for it.

I am a little worried that the float valve won't work but I will keep checking it. I am pumped about being able to make my own water. I don't use a lot of it now but it will save me from driving to the LFS and spending hundreds of dollars on things I cannot leave without :P . Plus when this tank is up and running it will be the only way to go.

I still need to snag a container to mix saltwater in. Any suggestions?

brute trash can and get the dolly wheels for it....I would have to harass my brother into helping me move a 32 gallon brute trash can and let me tell you that I wouldn't EVER go back to doing that again after that small investment.

As far as the float valve....I had the same fears. So far what I do is turn it on when I go to bed and turn it off in the morning, but have the float valve there just incase but like you said I don't know how comfortable I feel about it

Any news on your stand?

Yes. After not hearing back via email I finally called him and asked about it. He said he was building it today (Friday) and that it would be ready to ship out Monday morning. I really hope he isn't jacking me around cause I really want to get this thing going. I will call him tomorrow afternoon to see if it actually shipped.

I met the guy in person when he dropped mine off. He really seems like a good guy and he's got lot's of positive feedback on ebay... I'm sure you'll be fine.

some one local had one of those barrels with the wheels on it and they fell off and dumped 40g of water into his kitchen. if you get one leave it in the basement. nice setup though

some one local had one of those barrels with the wheels on it and they fell off and dumped 40g of water into his kitchen. if you get one leave it in the basement. nice setup though

That would suck. I don't plan on moving anything around. I should be able to run a hose from the laundry room to the tank when it is set up to refill after WCs.

Bdare, I am not really worried just anxious I guess. He seems a tad bit absent minded about what he is doing but also seems to have good intentions. He is sending me some scraps to test some stains before I do the stand. He thought about bringing the stand to me but it really wasn't worth the drive so I told him to just ship it.

Well I will go backwards from the norm and give the good news first.

My stand shipped out yesterday and is on the truck for delivery right now :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

It says sig required on the FedEx website and I have to go to work in a little bit so I hope I don't miss it.

THEN there is the bad news. I went to feed my dog a while ago and noticed a lot of water in the flowerbed.......right outside of where I put the RO!!!!

I go check and the laundry room has water all over the floor behind the container :angry: . I siphoned all the water out the door that it spent the last 2 days filling up!!!! Frick, I didn't even think about checking it for leaks since it is such a heavy walled container. Oh well, look like I will be looking for 2 new storage containers instead of one. I could look for the hole and try to fix it but I don't know if it is worth risking.

So there's my update. Not much but I'll get some pics of the stand/canopy when I get a chance.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: I fooked up and re-organized my photobucket account so a lot of my pics aren't showing up. I will try and unfook it up when I have some spare time.

Alright I am finally done putting this thing together an have a few pics. I noticed a few problems with the stand and canopy but overall I am pleased with the way it looks. I am going to have to fix a few things but that shouldn't be bad.

Had to leave it outside on the porch until I got home because my 8 month pregnant wife could pick up the 50 lb boxes.... :rolleyes: lazy. My dog has to smell everything.

IMG_4190.jpg

Install was fairly straight forward and all the holes lined up fine, some of the boards did not so it looks like I will be doing some finishing work. Stop staring at my buttcrack.

IMG_4192.jpg

General idea.

IMG_4193.jpg

Gaps in the front trim. Not sure what to do about it. Wood putty and sanding?

IMG_4199.jpg

All together. I opted for the shorter canopy without front doors and when I discussed it with the builder he said he would build it so that the front slides out so I can access the tank. Unfotunately he either forgot or just didn't do it so the top is one solid piece. This is not going to work so I will have to figure out how to make a door for the top so I can jack around in the tank with the canopy on.

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

Overall I am liking the way it looks there are just a few problems that need to be addressed. I need to start looking at some stains. I am a fan of black stands and canopies but not on wood grain. Not sure which way I want to go. Anyways, getting a little closer. Thanks for looking.

I think it looks great. I don't have any gaps as big as that one on my stand, but I definitely like it! Just a lil putty and elbow grease and you'll be set!

I don't remember... are you going with T5's? Looks like you won't have room to mount a halide in there. Now you can REALLY start making some progress!

I think it looks great. I don't have any gaps as big as that one on my stand, but I definitely like it! Just a lil putty and elbow grease and you'll be set!

I don't remember... are you going with T5's? Looks like you won't have room to mount a halide in there. Now you can REALLY start making some progress!

Yay, I'm not alone. Actually there is more room than it looks. I have at least 6 inches from the canopy to the top of the tank and that is if the water is full to the brim. Icecap fixtures are only 4 inches tall. 2-3 inches of clearance doesn't sound like much but its about 1-2 inches more than my NC with the 70w MH has. I am thinking of taking apart the light fixture I bought and using it to retro PC actinics into the hood and adding a single 250w or dual 150w MH, which ever I can afford.

Hey Ben, you got me thinking. What if I went all T5 instead of MH? I found this retro from a site sponser for $100 each and it looks like you can get a TRU actinic or 10,000k bulb right now for $10 each with purchase. I know you can never really get the intensity from T5 that you can from MH but it may be an interesting thought. My LFS is keeping SPS and a clam and both are growing nice in their Red Sea Max.

Maybe someone with more lighting experience can give some input. I could install about 4 of the T5 retro kits (with enough room) for what a dual MH kit would cost and save A TON on heat exchange. 4 x 2 x 39 = 312w of T5 lighting, like I said, I don't know much about T5s but that doesn sound to shabby on a 16 inch deep tank.

What do you guys think?

Hey Ben, you got me thinking. What if I went all T5 instead of MH? I found this retro from a site sponser for $100 each and it looks like you can get a TRU actinic or 10,000k bulb right now for $10 each with purchase. I know you can never really get the intensity from T5 that you can from MH but it may be an interesting thought. My LFS is keeping SPS and a clam and both are growing nice in their Red Sea Max.

Maybe someone with more lighting experience can give some input. I could install about 4 of the T5 retro kits (with enough room) for what a dual MH kit would cost and save A TON on heat exchange. 4 x 2 x 39 = 312w of T5 lighting, like I said, I don't know much about T5s but that doesn sound to shabby on a 16 inch deep tank.

What do you guys think?

The stand and canopy look great man!!

If you're considering spending $400+ for T-5's then why not just go with the dual 150's??? If you retro in a couple fans in that canopy I swear heat won't be a problem.

The stand and canopy look great man!!

If you're considering spending $400+ for T-5's then why not just go with the dual 150's??? If you retro in a couple fans in that canopy I swear heat won't be a problem.

Yeah I have found a few deals on dual 150w MH kits for under $400. Illiming.com is a site sponser and have a 150w kit for $179 with a 14k phoenix bulb with a 3inch thickness. Do you think 3 or 4 inches of water clearance is enough?

Yeah I have found a few deals on dual 150w MH kits for under $400. Illiming.com is a site sponser and have a 150w kit for $179 with a 14k phoenix bulb with a 3inch thickness. Do you think 3 or 4 inches of water clearance is enough?

That's the kit I have on my frag tank.That should be enough clearance. This is probably a stupid question, but you did consider that the water level won't come all the way up to the top of the trim right? My 250 is probably about 6" from the water and seems to be okay.

Archived