ReefCleaners.org

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

Aww... :wub:

It's an Actinia equina - and I'm darn near positive. Here's how I came at that: My first guess was Actinia tenebrosa, but they are nearly endemic to the extreme South Pacific. My second guess was the same as adin's, Cladactella. Phymactis are squatty with flat oral discs like Urticina, and have a very textured, bumpy column, so that's out. Then you say the LFS guy was adamant about it being from Africa. I had linked to this article a while back and dug around till something popped out. The fact that A. equina occur in South African waters, and that there is an almost identical appearance to A. tenebrosa only an ocean and a half away... well, that's that.

But, is the guy sure it's from Africa? I mean, honestly...

Africa? :huh:

Shamelessly linked:

o_actequ.jpg

PS - the first post on this thread made up my mind as to where I'll be vacationing this summer. Much thanks. :happydance:

I've asked the owner and the other guy who does their livestock repeatedly about it, and the both insist it's from Africa. They do get African shipments about once a month ( http://roozens.com/aquaticarrivals1.htm ).

Anyway - I grabbed the tripod and got a better pic of the column to give you one more shot to mull over:

(edit: photo is much larger, feel free to expand it)

HPIM3592.jpg

LMK if you still think it's A. equina (and thanks for helping out and the article!)

TAKE PICS IF YOU GO!!!! :lol:

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'll stick with my ID. In Actinias the morphology of the base is determined more by location and less by species. Only one way to know for sure, I'll tell you the same thing I told adin a year and a half ago: count the tentacles. The multiple will give you the genus, the location it was collected will usually narrow it down to a species. Good luck. :)

Yeah, I'll stick with my ID. In Actinias the morphology of the base is determined more by location and less by species. Only one way to know for sure, I'll tell you the same thing I told adin a year and a half ago: count the tentacles. The multiple will give you the genus, the location it was collected will usually narrow it down to a species. Good luck. :)

Awesome...thanks.

I'll start the counting...on my new pic (it just opened up)...when the lights went out...

HPIM3599.jpg

No problem. I hope they do well for you. The Monti frags you gave me are mounted and doing well. Thanks again! BTW, the pest pico looks great.

Now take some pictures!!!!

-Prof

Looking awesome, of COURSE!!!

I'm not a nem expert, so I don't comment often, but I always enjoy stopping by here.

That new anemone that you just aquired is really cool, and I hope he does well for you long-term.

I think I'll pass up on trading you for that crab. :scarry:

Sounds like Amber kinda likes him anyway though.

Maybe we can work out a monster Monti trade in a bit.

Ok, so after checking out your new macro pics I'm not so sure they're the same thing. I do definitely think they're related though. Harry doesn't have the dark carapace like your guy and that speckling on the claws is also missing from Harry. I'm still wondering though if Harry just isn't younger than your guy. Might darken with age. Great pictures. Glad you kept him. I'm extremely happy with the tank I set up for Harry. Hope the same thing happens to you.

Bill

Looking awesome, of COURSE!!!

I'm not a nem expert, so I don't comment often, but I always enjoy stopping by here.

That new anemone that you just aquired is really cool, and I hope he does well for you long-term.

I think I'll pass up on trading you for that crab. :scarry:

Sounds like Amber kinda likes him anyway though.

Maybe we can work out a monster Monti trade in a bit.

No need to be an expert - I don't consider myself an expert on anemones yet either. I just keep a lot of them ;) Comment anytime you wish (you are, after all, alowed to hijack my threads too). You sure you don't want the crab????? Amber does seem to like him...don't really know why. I got frags hiding behind all the rockwork, healing up and growing.

Ok, so after checking out your new macro pics I'm not so sure they're the same thing. I do definitely think they're related though. Harry doesn't have the dark carapace like your guy and that speckling on the claws is also missing from Harry. I'm still wondering though if Harry just isn't younger than your guy. Might darken with age. Great pictures. Glad you kept him. I'm extremely happy with the tank I set up for Harry. Hope the same thing happens to you.

Bill

Well, I guess time will tell. I've always wanted to do a pest nem tank, so I guess at least he's my excuse to get one.

I added all the bladed Caulerpa to the display that I got from Prof, but I had trouble adding the "suction cup" variety to the display because it breaks easily, and the female clown decided to rip it to shreds. So I stuck most of it in the sump, hoping it'll attach to a rock that I can bury later.

I really need to get a CUC for the sand - as black sand is prone to do, it gets dirty fast. I stir the sand with a dowel rod once or twice a day to keep the sand looking good, but I'd rather have some snails do it for me.

I watched a Nerite fall off the glass and straight into a maxi. By the time I could grab the camera, the snail was gone (inside the nem). Maybe I'll get lucky and catch it spitting out the shell.

New pics from tonight:

FTS:

HPIM3617.jpg

A. equina:

HPIM3620.jpg

Caulerpa, Crocea, Heteractis:

HPIM3621.jpg

Caulerpa, Montipora, S. tapetum:

HPIM3625.jpg

Caulerpa, Crocea:

HPIM3626.jpg

Halomitra, Sargassum:

HPIM3628.jpg

Phymanthus:

HPIM3629.jpg

Montipora:

HPIM3630.jpg

Montipora:

HPIM3631.jpg

FTS:

HPIM3611.jpg

Wow that has changed so much in the last week and a half. It makes me sad. I really hate to do this but could you take closer up full tank shots, ie take just a pic of the left side, then the middle, then the right so I (everyone else) can see more detail in the tank. Thanks sweetie. :flower:

Wow that has changed so much in the last week and a half. It makes me sad. I really hate to do this but could you take closer up full tank shots, ie take just a pic of the left side, then the middle, then the right so I (everyone else) can see more detail in the tank. Thanks sweetie. :flower:

You'll have to wait until tomorrow - the left side light is off for the night. Until then, right-click, copy image address, and paste into a new page. Then increase the size on the screen (+ for Opera ;)). NR formatting makes it so darned tiny because of the weird pic size.

EDIT: Rehosted one of them on NR, so it can be seen in fullsize (although fairly grainy): http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=35813

This is the most natural looking biotope I have seen!

Thanks!

That looks awesome! Don't worry about the other Sp. of Caulerpa. It will definately attach to the rock in the sump (and everything else!). Funny, about the clown though, mine hosts in it and never tries to rip it up.

BTW, if I can break away from my basement project tomorrow, I am going to see my LFS about those majanos. I will let you know what happens. Hopefully I can score and if so I will make sure you get one. I have to get your tupperware back to you anyway, I may as well put something in it! ;)

-Prof

Great new pics! Thanks for the link to the full-sized fts--most helpful.

That Caulerpa really adds a nice, different, and unifying look to the tank. It may well fill the sea grass niche if the actual grasses prove ornery.

As a real fungiid-ophile, I love that Halomitra!

The new 'nem is looking wonderful...my favs are the mini carpets, however--I just love their looks.

--Diane

That looks awesome! Don't worry about the other Sp. of Caulerpa. It will definately attach to the rock in the sump (and everything else!). Funny, about the clown though, mine hosts in it and never tries to rip it up.

BTW, if I can break away from my basement project tomorrow, I am going to see my LFS about those majanos. I will let you know what happens. Hopefully I can score and if so I will make sure you get one. I have to get your tupperware back to you anyway, I may as well put something in it! ;)

-Prof

OMG! THE STUFF IN THE SUMP IS GROWING LIKE CRAZY!

I think the clown was hungry. She was going after pretty much everything that hit the water - I was late feeding. I got some of the tulip majanos today - check out the pics in the pest pico thread! No worries on the tupperware, it was cheap. I don't need it back (unless there's something in it ;)).

Great new pics! Thanks for the link to the full-sized fts--most helpful.

That Caulerpa really adds a nice, different, and unifying look to the tank. It may well fill the sea grass niche if the actual grasses prove ornery.

As a real fungiid-ophile, I love that Halomitra!

The new 'nem is looking wonderful...my favs are the mini carpets, however--I just love their looks.

--Diane

The caulerpa is really working out nicely. I'm hesitant with it since I know it'll take off at some point, and I don't want it to get out of hand. And the Halomitra is my favorite coral :) Gotta love the weirdos!

On to today's update:

I planned on getting Amber's high-res FTS series today, but after taking the other pics, I'm too sore to continue (there's a reason...I'm getting there).

I went to get some tulip majanos for the pest pico, and stopped by an LFS that was a couple miles from the guy's house to get some cerith snails for the tank, and ended up finding another little gem as well...

But first, the reason I'm sore: I was leaving the LFS, and stopped at an intersection. The car behind me didn't, and I got rearended. She was only going a few mph, but I wasn't expecting it at all, and was turned funny, so I'm feeling like I just went skiing for a week (I suck at skiing, I fall...a lot). Got out, and the lady was about to cry. So I checked the car, and it's nothing but a scratch and some dirt. Nothing to be upset over, especially considering that I've hit curbs and done more damage. Look back up, she's crying. I couldn't help it - I started laughing. I've been in a few wrecks now, and usually walk away with a totaled car, so this is really not worth getting emotional about. So I give her a hug (she was really that upset...), and tell her it's no big deal, don't worry about it, and drove off.

Anyway - lying down is working out better than bending over and messing with the camera and lighting and stuff. Managed to get some shots for the pest pico, and one shot of my new inhabitant.

The LFS had an anemone hermit crab: http://adc.aims.gov.au/nwhicreefs/cruise/c...ture/index.html which happens to be a species found in Singapore!!! Except...well, I don't like crabs. BUT!!!!! Even better - THE CRAB WAS MISSING!!!! So, I got an empty shell with four new anemones on it: Calliactis armatus

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

HPIM3649.jpg

YOU DIDNT TELL ME IT HURT YOU WHEN SHE HIT YOU AND I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH YOU!!! :eek:

OMG! THE STUFF IN THE SUMP IS GROWING LIKE CRAZY!

I think the clown was hungry. She was going after pretty much everything that hit the water - I was late feeding. I got some of the tulip majanos today - check out the pics in the pest pico thread! No worries on the tupperware, it was cheap. I don't need it back (unless there's something in it ;)).

The caulerpa is really working out nicely. I'm hesitant with it since I know it'll take off at some point, and I don't want it to get out of hand. And the Halomitra is my favorite coral :) Gotta love the weirdos!

On to today's update:

I planned on getting Amber's high-res FTS series today, but after taking the other pics, I'm too sore to continue (there's a reason...I'm getting there).

I went to get some tulip majanos for the pest pico, and stopped by an LFS that was a couple miles from the guy's house to get some cerith snails for the tank, and ended up finding another little gem as well...

But first, the reason I'm sore: I was leaving the LFS, and stopped at an intersection. The car behind me didn't, and I got rearended. She was only going a few mph, but I wasn't expecting it at all, and was turned funny, so I'm feeling like I just went skiing for a week (I suck at skiing, I fall...a lot). Got out, and the lady was about to cry. So I checked the car, and it's nothing but a scratch and some dirt. Nothing to be upset over, especially considering that I've hit curbs and done more damage. Look back up, she's crying. I couldn't help it - I started laughing. I've been in a few wrecks now, and usually walk away with a totaled car, so this is really not worth getting emotional about. So I give her a hug (she was really that upset...), and tell her it's no big deal, don't worry about it, and drove off.

Anyway - lying down is working out better than bending over and messing with the camera and lighting and stuff. Managed to get some shots for the pest pico, and one shot of my new inhabitant.

The LFS had an anemone hermit crab: http://adc.aims.gov.au/nwhicreefs/cruise/c...ture/index.html which happens to be a species found in Singapore!!! Except...well, I don't like crabs. BUT!!!!! Even better - THE CRAB WAS MISSING!!!! So, I got an empty shell with four new anemones on it: Calliactis armatus

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

HPIM3649.jpg

Cute nems. :)

YOU DIDNT TELL ME IT HURT YOU WHEN SHE HIT YOU AND I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH YOU!!! :eek:

Cute nems. :)

THATS CAUSE IT DIDNT THEN! STOP YELLING AT ME!

It's just uncomfortable...ache...y...nothing important.

I thought so :) The guy at the LFS thought I was weird..."can I have that anemone hermit back there without the hermit?" :lol:

THATS CAUSE IT DIDNT THEN! STOP YELLING AT ME!

It's just uncomfortable...ache...y...nothing important.

I thought so :) The guy at the LFS thought I was weird..."can I have that anemone hermit back there without the hermit?" :lol:

Can you please share link ofwere you have made these lovely purchases

Can you please share link ofwere you have made these lovely purchases

Anything in particular you're looking at? I can probably name the store/person for everything in there. Generally:

The mini carpets came mainly from a guy on here (I bought all of his) and a guy on my local forum (I bought all but one of his).

Most of the corals are from various LFSs here and back in Kentucky - only websites I have for those are http://www.blueribbonkoi.com , http://www.mrcoral.com and http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com. Names for the others are SCALES in Maryland and Fishy Business in Kentucky.

The rainbow monti came from Exotic Aquatics (http://www.exoticaquatics.com)

Most of the other anemones come from a local wholesaler: http://www.roozens.com

And anything else is through trades/purchases made here in the classifieds with people like Weetabix7, Professor, Mvite, etc. and in the local club (WAMAS).

And a couple of things I've gotten through http://www.fragglereef.com

Archived