SaltCritters.com

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a ton of mini carpets....I hope you don't have too many coral losses because of their wandering. The tank looks great!!

:lol: yeah...it is quite a bit, but the corals should fare well considering most of them were in a tank half that size with them all just a couple weeks ago.

Thanks!

Daniel, slow down! I can't keep up! :D

I want to digest everything.

So, going back to the pics from the wild...once again, congrats on the research and thanks for posting pics of what you found. I wanted to ask about the 2nd pic in the invert post--how does that happen?? Are those starfish sunk into the sand, or teleported away, or what?

I was going to say I hope you acquire some brittle stars, as they are one of my all-time favorite inverts, but before I got around to that, I see you posting that you did get a hitcher. Cool!!

Of course, the pic of the moon snail sent me off to look them up ( http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=naticid for anyone similarly ignorant...). Dang, guess you can't have one of them. :P

Sweet choice of algae possibilities! Ever think of trying Padina? I love its look...

Still chuckling over the pics of your water test. Most ingenious. :D

Well, before I could respond to those posts (my daughter's been hogging the computer, just to study for her finals. The nerve!), you go ahead and post actual tank shots. Boy, you may be slow to get a thread started, but once you do, you're off to the races! :)

Anyway, I love everything about it. Starting with the fts first, it looks so much bigger than I'd expected. Something about those dimensions plus your 'scape makes it look twice as big as it is...I love the black sand, if for no other reason for how cool it makes top down shots, and I'm so glad so many of yours were taken from that aspect. Fits right in with the buildup of the previous pages of wild pics.

I can't believe your mini collection! Of the 40+, can you estimate how many separate color/pattern morphs you have? Since you've had them, have any split naturally for you? How much DO they move around? They look so awesome scattered around so naturally like that!

BTW, in pic 2, is the real tiny thing some sort of zoa too? I can't quite tell..Oh, and back to pic 1, fungiids are another of my all-time favs...

I love pic 6 with the minis & encrusting gorg & plate! Will minis that small dig down into the sand, like you described? I'm having trouble imagining any of them digging down through any normal sand bed to the glass...doesn't the sand tend to cave in on them? Or do they have some sort of foot/stalk that can develop as necessary?

I also love the orange branchy stuff. Ahem. Please enlighten me--I'm afraid to try to name it myself... :blush:

That's a super clump(s?) of Neomeris, and the red/brown macro is very nice. Sure hope you can find the sea grass you want!

I think you can probably count your brittle star as a member of the CUC--mine are great scavengers. Don't suppose you have a pic of it? (I'm so greedy.)

Thanks for all the info on 'nem/algae interactions, etc. And the rabbit chases, Alice. :) Those of us who are limited in our own set-ups have to live vicariously somehow.

Sorry for the wordiness. I just feel nearly as excited as you are. :D

--Diane

CAN I MARRY YOUR TANK?

Its really splendid!Well placed corals with the mini carpets!OMG.

By the way, are you aware that singaporeans are crazy over scolymias?

Perhaps you can get one too!

Daniel,

Great tank! I'm glad to see this turned out so well with all your time and hard work you put into it. So many people (including myself) lack the patience to do that. Like Diane said, we will live vicariously through you!

Also, the halomitra looks great in there.

Really, really awesome.

Of COURSE!!

Now we just need close-up shots of the nems. :D

Do you still need that encrusting green gorgonian frag from me?

It looked like you already had some in there. Just LMK.

Another reply thread: (Me in Red)

Daniel, slow down! I can't keep up!

sorry!! I shall back up for you ;)

I want to digest everything.

So, going back to the pics from the wild...once again, congrats on the research and thanks for posting pics of what you found. I wanted to ask about the 2nd pic in the invert post--how does that happen?? Are those starfish sunk into the sand, or teleported away, or what?

I think what happens is the starfish sit long enough to leave a mark in the sand washing back and forth, then when the tide goes out, they pull themselves out and move seaward (except the sand-sifting species, which probably bury themselves.

I was going to say I hope you acquire some brittle stars, as they are one of my all-time favorite inverts, but before I got around to that, I see you posting that you did get a hitcher. Cool!!

:lol: I'd like a couple more - mine is a small red and white species, and lives in the holes at the top of the purple-rim monti colony at far right in the tank. I only see a couple inches worth of 3 arms when cyclopeeze goes in the tank. He's really good at picking them off for a creature that can't see anything

Of course, the pic of the moon snail sent me off to look them up ( http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=naticid for anyone similarly ignorant...). Dang, guess you can't have one of them.

I wish!! I'm not sure how willing I am to buy snails all the time though

Sweet choice of algae possibilities! Ever think of trying Padina? I love its look...

I have a tiny bit in the sump I'm hoping will grow out. It looked nice before I moved up here, but hasn't done anything since. I meant to get some more from the LFS in Kentucky, and forgot (one of their 6' x 8' coral prop tanks is covered in it.

Still chuckling over the pics of your water test. Most ingenious.

Well, before I could respond to those posts (my daughter's been hogging the computer, just to study for her finals. The nerve!), you go ahead and post actual tank shots. Boy, you may be slow to get a thread started, but once you do, you're off to the races!

hehe...I had most of it ready, just needed to finish moving rocks in the tank and take some pics. didn't want to make people wait too long

Anyway, I love everything about it. Starting with the fts first, it looks so much bigger than I'd expected. Something about those dimensions plus your 'scape makes it look twice as big as it is...I love the black sand, if for no other reason for how cool it makes top down shots, and I'm so glad so many of yours were taken from that aspect. Fits right in with the buildup of the previous pages of wild pics.

I agree - once you start looking at the tank, you really forget the gallonage of the tank (although, 36" from 24" is a huge upgrade side-to-side). Hopefully the depth will come through better once there's some macro and plants in the foreground. Except for a couple of rocks, I'm only using up the back 4-8" of the tank, leaving the front 10+" for the seagrass area. The downside of the black sand is that it's hard to get color settings right...no white for color balance!! :( But it looks nice. I really wanted the tank to be designed for top-down viewing as well as front viewing. The stand is only 27" tall, so the top of the tank is at 39.5". Makes it very easy to work in and easy for even short lil Amber to see in the top, and the view sitting on the couch is perfect (I'll have to take those pics sometime soon)

I can't believe your mini collection! Of the 40+, can you estimate how many separate color/pattern morphs you have? Since you've had them, have any split naturally for you? How much DO they move around? They look so awesome scattered around so naturally like that!

I'll work on a "profile" for that tonight

BTW, in pic 2, is the real tiny thing some sort of zoa too? I can't quite tell..Oh, and back to pic 1, fungiids are another of my all-time favs...

Not sure which really tiny thing, but all the coral in the pic are zoas.

I love pic 6 with the minis & encrusting gorg & plate! Will minis that small dig down into the sand, like you described? I'm having trouble imagining any of them digging down through any normal sand bed to the glass...doesn't the sand tend to cave in on them? Or do they have some sort of foot/stalk that can develop as necessary?

Yep, the small ones dig in, but might not make it to the glass. I left quite a bit of rubble in there that they'll attach to when they find it. The sand does tend to cave in (you can see in the pic where one mini is covered in sand (closest to the left of the Fungia), and it'll eventually move the sand off it. Their foot is quite flexible, and can extend quite a bit - maybe twice their body size in the small ones so they can reach fairly far into the sandbed..

I also love the orange branchy stuff. Ahem. Please enlighten me--I'm afraid to try to name it myself...

:lol: All branching montiporas in the foreground, and some encrusting montis and branching acroporas in the background. The color is hard to shoot on the branching montis, but one is purple-tipped and brown polyps, one is yellow with yellow-green polyps, and one is peachy with peachy polyps

That's a super clump(s?) of Neomeris, and the red/brown macro is very nice. Sure hope you can find the sea grass you want!

That rock used to have yumas on it...the Neomeris started choking them out. When the Neomeris stops growing, I know there's a calcium/alkalinity problem to deal with ;) The brown is Sargassum, one that I've had for 7-8 months. Some local club members have found me some seagrass!! YAY!!

I think you can probably count your brittle star as a member of the CUC--mine are great scavengers. Don't suppose you have a pic of it? (I'm so greedy.)

Next time I see an arm, I'll snap a shot. Maybe I'll get lucky and see 2 or 3 arms...

Thanks for all the info on 'nem/algae interactions, etc. And the rabbit chases, Alice. Those of us who are limited in our own set-ups have to live vicariously somehow.

Sorry for the wordiness. I just feel nearly as excited as you are.

--Diane

Thanks Diane!

CAN I MARRY YOUR TANK?

My tank says: :blush::flower:

Its really splendid!Well placed corals with the mini carpets!OMG.

By the way, are you aware that singaporeans are crazy over scolymias?

Perhaps you can get one too!

Thanks...the minis really dictated the layout. The routine is generally pick up a rock, find the mini on it, rotate it to see the mini, drop it. Pick up the next rock...

They know what they like ;)

I have a couple of scolys sitting in the sump, but they're Aussies. Oddly, I think my office tank will end up being an Australian biotope completely by accident.

Daniel,

Great tank! I'm glad to see this turned out so well with all your time and hard work you put into it. So many people (including myself) lack the patience to do that. Like Diane said, we will live vicariously through you!

Also, the halomitra looks great in there.

Thanks! I love that Halomitra :)

Really, really awesome.

Of COURSE!!

Now we just need close-up shots of the nems.

Do you still need that encrusting green gorgonian frag from me?

It looked like you already had some in there. Just LMK.

Thanks Weet! I suppose I'll take pics when I make the profile for Diane. I would still like your gorg frag - it looks different than the one I have (thanks Brandi for the extra), but if you wanna take it to the swap and sell it, thats cool. My tank isn't going anywhere ;)

POO!! Too many emoticons!! Sorry guys...I deleted yours!

Anemones:

First, the two Borneman anemones. Probably Phymanthus,but as yet have not been classified. Borneman spread them through the local clubs in Houston, which trickled into the Washington Area Marine Aquarium Society (WAMAS) through someone moving. They are fairly common, especially for the folks in SoCal, in differing colors and slightly different tentacle patterns, but are likely the same, or closely related species. They're somewhat like BTAs - they move a lot until finding a spot they like, and don't move. Natural splitting is by pedal laceration, which produces a "bleached" baby. Very easy to keep, doesn't seem to bother any corals or other anemone species, and easy to propagate, although somewhat slow. "Forced" propagation has been done by dropping them in skimmate (see the anemone propagation thread for more info). Full size is ~4-5" diameter.

HPIM3484.jpg

HPIM3485.jpg

And the mini carpets:

As I've already said, I have ~40+ mini carpets. Upon count today, I could find 29 in the display and 4 in the sump. Given that I regularly find more popping up, an estimate of 40 is fairly conservative. Of those, the vast majority are the mini variety that splits naturally. This is the first variety I acquired, starting with 18. From these, I sold and traded several, then begin small daily/every other day feedings of mysis and cyclopeeze. At current rates with daily feedings, I get about 2 splits weekly. Most of the time, I've sold or traded the new splits off to prevent the 15g tank from being overrun by them. Lately, though, I've let them go, estimating there to be at least 30. All of this version are the watermelon/"Gary M special" variety (so named after Gary M on RC who propagated a ton of this variety).

These are some of my past photos of them...you'll likely recognize the color patterning from all the various WTB threads:

HPIM2692.JPG

HPIM2692.JPG

HPIM2703.JPG

split2.jpg

4amigos.jpg

split1.jpg

mini.jpg

The other variety is the maxi mini carpet. This variety does not, or very rarely splits in captivity, and grows to be much larger (2" maximum for mini, reportedly 12" maximum for maxi). I acquired 6 initially, and immediately split them. Four more were sent to me for my birthday (THANKS! Amber and a certain bot). Several were sent to the bot for his birthday, and have been traded to a couple of local club members). Currently, I have 13, of 9 different color variations:

red

green

"camo" - green/tan/brown

purple/green (maybe I should call it PPE maxi?? :lol:

pink/black

and four distinct varieties with varying amounts of green, yellow, red, pink, and brown (some are mottled, striped, ringed, etc)

Many of the pictures are poor, but they give you an idea. These were taken today:

HPIM3414.jpg

HPIM3434.jpg

HPIM3435.jpg

HPIM3452.jpg

HPIM3454.jpg

HPIM3456.jpg

HPIM3458.jpg

HPIM3460.jpg

HPIM3462.jpg

HPIM3466.jpg

HPIM3468.jpg

HPIM3473.jpg

The last pic gives you an idea of the size difference between minis and maxis. The mini is nickel-size, average for minis. The maxi is on the smaller side - a couple of mine are nearing 4" in diameter, and one was nearly 8" before the first cut.

Oh...to answer Diane's question: it's quite variable. If you get them in a spot they like, they won't move. Some have been in the same place on the same rock since I got them in September. Others will move anytime you make them unhappy, but generally settle down after a day or two. When they split, I've found that about half the time, they stay side-by-side, while the other half, one stays put and the other wanders off to find it's own niche.

When I originally decided to set up my pico tank (became the Florida biotope) I wanted it to be an anemone tank featuring mini-carpets. Unfortunately I could not locate any but since you have set up this biotope my craving has been satisfied and it looks a million times better than I could have ever hoped to have made it. I will definately be subscribing to this thread.

For Diane: I got a pic that sort of illustrates the digging ability. This one didn't go far because it was next to the glass, but you can sort of see the mound it's made on either side (especially the left) from the foot pushing out sand:

HPIM3488.jpg

When I originally decided to set up my pico tank (became the Florida biotope) I wanted it to be an anemone tank featuring mini-carpets. Unfortunately I could not locate any but since you have set up this biotope my craving has been satisfied and it looks a million times better than I could have ever hoped to have made it. I will definately be subscribing to this thread.

Thanks! Looking at your biotope, I'm glad you choose Florida - beautiful tank, and one that Amber can live vicariously through until she has her own flower nems :) Look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas!

All i can say is wow :o This is definitely one of the most interesting tank threads ive ever read. Great job dshnarw!!

Thanks! :happy:

WOW, looks really good.

I didnt realize the maxis got that big, 8"~12". Might have to rethink putting one in a 12 gal. I think I missed a thread somewhere, you put them in skimmate to make them split? Im liking the Bornemans, dont think I have ever seen one.

WOW, looks really good.

I didnt realize the maxis got that big, 8"~12". Might have to rethink putting one in a 12 gal. I think I missed a thread somewhere, you put them in skimmate to make them split? Im liking the Bornemans, dont think I have ever seen one.

nah, you just cut it in half once it gets to 4" or so, and sell one off...or get a bigger tank ;) It would take a heck of a lot of feeding to get them to even 8", and I've only heard rumors of 12", never seen a pic of it.

Check the anemone prop thread - pheallox accidentally dropped them in skimmate and caused them to split. I think he's been doing it on purpose ever since. Oh - found the post: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1318447.

The EB nems are pretty cool (even with their namesake -_- ). Pheallox's tank is full of them in various colors.

Thanks Scott!

I have been so busy the past 2 days that I have had to ignore the email saying there was activity on this thread. BOY!!!!! What amazing stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share. I love what you have done. Please keep updating this thread.

I have been so busy the past 2 days that I have had to ignore the email saying there was activity on this thread. BOY!!!!! What amazing stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share. I love what you have done. Please keep updating this thread.

Thank you! :flower: Hopefully you'll receive plenty more emails about the activity on the thread :)

maxis have a relatively denser tentacle pattern. "more spokes in the tire" very nice collection!

Feel free to add your own volume of info on S. tapetum...in fact, please do. I have to assume people will get tired of my monologues at some point :)

Thank you sir! Still on the lookout for a blue maxi :)

Today's plan was to head out to Roozen's, a wholesaler in DC. The tanks are pretty gross, but he sometimes gets adhesive anemones and they sometimes turn out to be mini carpets, according to some local reefers. But, I woke up to this:

HPIM3489.jpg

HPIM3490.jpg

It is now up to the bumper on the car (not especially difficult - the car nearly hits the ground) and the streets are getting covered. Looks like I'm stuck at home :unsure: Can't decide if I'm happy or sad.

Gizmo decided to do his pointer impression:

HPIM3494.jpg

EDIT: Follow the link and make your opinion known PLEASE!!! http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105300

what better activity to do on a wintry day than take more full tank shots?

ANOTHER FTS PLEASE!

:lol: Have to wait for the lights to come on...good time to explain that one I suppose:

Lighting schedule currently (eastern time, for you Cali people):

3:00 70w MH on

4:00 150w MH on

10:00 150w MH off

11:00 70w MH off

Under normal circumstances, I leave for classes/work around 8-9 am and get back, depending on the day, between 3 and 5 pm. So I try to have the lights coming on around the time I get home and going off around the time I would normally start doing homework or grading (learned quickly that the tank is a HUGE distraction to school).

supreme_spork
:lol: Have to wait for the lights to come on...good time to explain that one I suppose:

Lighting schedule currently (eastern time, for you Cali people):

3:00 70w MH on

4:00 150w MH on

10:00 150w MH off

11:00 70w MH off

Under normal circumstances, I leave for classes/work around 8-9 am and get back, depending on the day, between 3 and 5 pm. So I try to have the lights coming on around the time I get home and going off around the time I would normally start doing homework or grading (learned quickly that the tank is a HUGE distraction to school).

ah, that makes sense.

and i hear ya -- i work from home for a few hours most days and my tank is in my home office... sometimes that's not the best combination for getting work stuff done. :)

Archived