Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

He would have except I took his computer away from him for awhile. I had some work to do on the valentine frag swap thread. You ought to consider participating, everyone seemed to enjoy it last time.

I will look into it. Thanks.

-Prof

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We know the tank is far from mature! How can we follow along without pictures? :o Great idea!

When we go to the cabin in Maine this summer, I might be able to get you some sea grass. One of the ladies (90+) pulls it out where it is taking over her beach area. If she already has it pulled up, is it against the law if I rescue it from death? :lol:

I'd post the pictures, but all you'd see would be grey from the dust :P It should be ready for it's first photo op tomorrow :)

MAINE!! :wub: My undergrad thesis was on the geology of Vinalhaven Island. Spent a summer up there doing field work, wouldn't have minded staying, if it hadn't been for Amber.

:lol: Is it against the law to take seagrass up there? I know Florida is offlimits...

Awesome concept and an amazing amount of research. Can't wait to see the tank.

BTW, Where in MD/DC are you? I have a macro that is very sea grass-like. I have no idea what it is, looks similar to a short turtle grass. Grows via runner and grows fast. Let me know if you are interested. I am in Maryland too.

-Prof

PM SENT!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give 5 mins at the most before you get a PM from him! :D

:P 45, smarty pants! (all Amber's fault)

I'd post the pictures, but all you'd see would be grey from the dust :P It should be ready for it's first photo op tomorrow :)

MAINE!! :wub: My undergrad thesis was on the geology of Vinalhaven Island. Spent a summer up there doing field work, wouldn't have minded staying, if it hadn't been for Amber.

:lol: Is it against the law to take seagrass up there? I know Florida is offlimits...

It is against the law in both places! I figure since she pulled it out, I could rescue it from death by sending it to you! Our own personal "Save the Seagrass" project! :lol:

Daniel,

SWEET THREAD!! Love the set-up and research info...and the pics you provided of the community you're emulating. It always interests me to see anemones everywhere periodically inudated by sand...And the pic of the nems and the algae was fascinating, each nem in its little "clearing." Do they repel algae/seagrass? I've spent a good deal of time tracing your links and meandering on side-trips they led me on...

Can't wait for further installments!

--Diane

lets see if duncan wanna goes with me.

we are fellow friends from singapore!

I'm not your friend ? :huh:

Haha just kidding, btw cant wait to see those pics

Fish:

The seagrass lagoon has nearly as much fish diversity as the reef. Many species overlap both areas: damsels and clownfish, cardinalfish, wrasses, groupers, perchlets, rays, and butterfly fish just to name a few. Other fish include the various toadfish and frogfish, some scorpionfish, pipefish, and seahorses.

kusu05.jpg

cjo13.jpg

r375.jpg

P1100781.jpg

fishes.jpg

070812sisg1958m6.jpg

070812sisd5462m6.jpg

070728sisd4491m6.jpg

_DSC8381m6.jpg

_DSC7639m6.jpg

_DSC8158m6.jpg

Inverts:

Starfish and snails are probably the most common inverts. Starfish include the popular sand-sifting star, brittle stars, and chocolate-chip star. Population density for starfish is extremely high in lagoonal areas for the same reason seagrass is – waste produced by the reef is left in the lagoon to provide tons of food. (This doesn’t, however, mean that the water is any less quality than at the reef, but that the sandbed is very high in nutrients).

_DSC8172m6.jpg

070803cjriatand5005m6.jpg

brittlestars.jpg

Snails include Cerith, Nerites, and Nassarius – the typical sand/intertidal inhabitants. More exotic species include the spider conch, many cowry species, and the moon snail.

070730chgd4686m6.jpg

P1070964.jpg

anemone223452346.jpg

071001chgd6761m6.jpg

Others:

Shrimp: anemone and pistol

Stomatopods

Octopus

Clams

Worms: Fan/Tube, Bristle, Eunice

Sponges

Crabs

Cucumbers

Urchins

Nudibranchs

Crinoids

_DSC8440m6.jpg

nudis1.jpg

P1050713.jpg

crabs.jpg

071027cjriatand7380m6.jpg

071001chgd6792m6.jpg

071001chgd6776m6.jpg

071001chgd6700m6.jpg

070829chgd6260m6.jpg

070812sisd5499m6.jpg

070729skdd4593m6.jpg

060128labg4069m6.jpg

_DSC8440m6.jpg

“Plants”:

Seagrasses and macroalgae include:

Caulerpa

Chaetomorpha

Halimeda

Neomeris

Ulva

Halymenia

Padina

Dictyota

Cymodocea

Thalassia

Halodule

Halophila

Sargassum

Tank Build:

I have been working on the idea for this tank for several months, since my first shipment of mini carpets came in. With a lot of research and a great deal of help from fellow nano-reefers, I came up with the tank you’ll soon see. To those reefers, I say thanks. To Amber, who has dealt with my obsession and pushed me to finish the build, thanks and I love you.

The basic stand was made following adin’s design, with slight modifications since I don’t own a saw, and Lowe’s refused to do fancy angled cuts. Better pics of the design can be found at the beginning of his tank thread.

My photos will start with the water test, which was a great deal of worry and headache. I currently live in a second floor apartment, making the water test extremely hazardous. My sink has already flooded the kitchen below me, and I didn’t feel it a good idea to flood their living room as well. So….water testing happened in the bathroom, with a tarp and some rope:

HPIM3056.jpg

HPIM3060.jpg

After much begging, pleading, and headache, I finally found someone willing to drill 5 holes in a 30 gallon tank. This was, unfortunately, the most time consuming effort in the whole ordeal, and 3 people backed out when I refused to let them drill less holes. Why 5? Because I plan to have NO powerheads in this tank. Too many anemones, and they like to move. Just after drilling:

HPIM3277.jpg

(You’ll notice the top plastic trim has been added back on. While I’m fairly certain the glass is fine without it, I need the extra area for the light fixtures currently on the tank). Since this pic, The plumbing was painted black and completed. The spray bar at the bottom is the return from a closed loop system running ~850gph. The sump is returning ~300gph, and contains all the equipment – heater, ASM Mini-G skimmer, and ~20lbs of live rock.

Hopefully this will tide you over until I can take and upload pics into photobucket. ;)

I have been working on the idea for this tank for several months, since my first shipment of mini carpets came in. With a lot of research and a great deal of help from fellow nano-reefers, I came up with the tank you’ll soon see. To those reefers, I say thanks. To Amber, who has dealt with my obsession and pushed me to finish the build, thanks and I love you.

:blush::wub::blush::flower:

love you too :blush:

Finally, some shots from the tank:

HPIM3404.jpg

HPIM3406.jpg

HPIM3392.jpg

HPIM3396.jpg

HPIM3399.jpg

HPIM3403.jpg

HPIM3402.jpg

HPIM3410.jpg

HPIM3407.jpg

HPIM3389.jpg

HPIM3390.jpg

HPIM3388.jpg

Oh....were you waiting for a FTS??

HPIM3377.jpg

Things I considered:

Sand: I like black, and although the majority of pics from the blogs had white/mixed sands, black sand would not be a stretch. The geology of the area includes several ancient igneous bodies, including gabbro "sheets" within granite intrusions. Gabbro is a black rock, equivalent in composition to basalt, and localized areas of Singapore would, at least in the past, have had black sands similar to Hawaii.

Rock: Is a mixture of what small amount of Indo live rock I could get with some various aquacultured rock from around the Pacific. Singapore does not export live rock, and Indo live rock is becoming very hard to come by.

Corals: May come from various parts of the world, aquacultured or wild. In most cases, I can ID the corals to species level, but some I can't (Acropora and the encrusting gorgonian, for example). In those cases, I got as close as I could to the morphology of species in the images I've come across. A couple of corals have been "hidden" from view because they don't occur (or I haven't found some evidence that they occur) in the area. These corals will be removed as soon as my office tank is set up again.

Fish: Currently, I have 2 clarkii clowns and a yellow clown goby. Clarkii do not occur in Singapore - only Tomato and Ocellaris. For now, these guys will stay in the tank in place of the naturally occuring species because I am attached to them, after 6+months of them swimming around in my cramped 15g. Hopefully, they will trigger my being allowed to have another tank (yes, Amber...I said ANOTHER TANK), where they can happily fight, and I can replace them. The YCG is also awaiting the office tank (and will be sorely missed - the only fish smart enough to stay away from the anemones). Other fish are still up for debate (if anyone has suggestions, please tell!)

CUC: hitchhiking stomatellas, my prized money cowry (distribution fits the tank!) whom I only see when re-scaping, and myself. This is how the 15g has been running for more than 6 months, without a very nasty buildup of algae. Planning to get some nerites, ceriths, and nassarius to help out.

Others: brittle star, hitchhiked in on the purple rim monti

anemones: 40+ mini carpets, a Heteractis the clowns have been hosting since I've had them, and 2 Borneman anemones, which are quite similar to some found in the lagoon at Singapore.

40+ mini carpets omgomgomg

your tank look great

EDIT: what light are you using? t5?

EDIT #2: now that i look at the FTS again it looks like 2 MH

Do mini carpets harm corals? I saw some I could get from an LFS (tank is covered in them) and they are about the size of a bottle cap. But I know they spread pretty fast, and would be a pain to remove if it came down to it.

I want one (as I would get charged 5$) if they are safe.

your tank look great

I can answer that for you one is a 70w MH and one is a 150w MH.

And Daniel only gets another tank when we get a house. :naughtydance:

YAY!! REPLY POST:

It is against the law in both places! I figure since she pulled it out, I could rescue it from death by sending it to you! Our own personal "Save the Seagrass" project! :lol:

Oooh..I like it!! We need an official-like logo :lol: I suppose if they don't see you pull it, they probably can't do anything ;)

Daniel,

SWEET THREAD!! Love the set-up and research info...and the pics you provided of the community you're emulating. It always interests me to see anemones everywhere periodically inudated by sand...And the pic of the nems and the algae was fascinating, each nem in its little "clearing." Do they repel algae/seagrass? I've spent a good deal of time tracing your links and meandering on side-trips they led me on...

Can't wait for further installments!

--Diane

TY Diane! I'm not sure if they repel algae and seagrass or not, but I have noticed a couple of things:

1. They will eat, or attempt to eat algae (and everything else they get near). I suppose if the algae gets too close, they'll just attempt to consume it.

2. When I put a couple of them into deep sand, they dug out the sand beneath them to reach a solid structure (the glass). This ended up making a small mound around them. I would assume that having to continually do this when periodically inundated with sand keeps algae/seagrass at bay around them.

3. Some of the smaller anemones actually live on the seagrass, including small S. tapetum. I guess that lacking a hard substrate to grab on, they'll live on any "solid" structure they can find.

Just a few observations, and some possible reasons.

(Good luck with chasing the rabbits....er....links...lately I've been feeling quite a bit like Alice, running around lost with all the various links)

aye.you can join us too! :happy:

JUST TAKE PICS FOR ME WHILE YOU'RE THERE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flower:

your tank look great

Using 2 MH fixtures - a 150w Sunpod, 14K and a 70w Sunpod, 14K (70w on the right). The lights were taken off my 12g aquapod and my 15g tank that were combined to make this tank. Hopefully my next big purchase will be a T5 fixture, as I don't like the look from 2 MH fixtures and the heat they're putting into the living room.

Do mini carpets harm corals? I saw some I could get from an LFS (tank is covered in them) and they are about the size of a bottle cap. But I know they spread pretty fast, and would be a pain to remove if it came down to it.

I want one (as I would get charged 5$) if they are safe.

Mini carpets can harm some corals. I'm not sure about softies, as they've never wandered over there, but LPS will retract from them and can lose tissue over time. SPS corals seem fine with them. The best option is to have a species tank for them, or just learn to live with the losses. In my case, the setup is to display the mini carpets, and there just happen to be corals for a background - I'm okay with a few corals receding if one of the minis parks itself there.

Archived