inTank Media Baskets

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

Some more shots from the tank:

The lady of the tank, half-asleep. She'll bite me for turning the flash on next time I'm working in the tank:

HPIM3498.jpg

My yellow clown goby...waiting for the office tank:

HPIM3511.jpg

And some corals:

HPIM3514.jpg

HPIM3516.jpg

HPIM3513.jpg

FTS:

HPIM3505.jpg

Not much changed...but that pic is really making me wish I'd gone ahead and painted the glass instead of that freebie background :angry: Soon as I get some paint, that things going away.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HPIM3489.jpg

Gizmo decided to do his pointer impression:

HPIM3494.jpg

:( It really does look like I came back to KY to soon. :( Please take more pictures for me. :flower:

Oh and I love the pic of the clown in the anem. (there had to make it not a total hijack :) )

:( It really does look like I came back to KY to soon. :( Please take more pictures for me. :flower:

Oh and I love the pic of the clown in the anem. (there had to make it not a total hijack :) )

not really...about 2 hrs later it turned into sleet. now it's raining. not so pretty anymore.

thank you babe :)

Daniel, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my numerous questions. So far. :D

(RE brittle stars:)

I'd like a couple more - mine is a small red and white species, and lives in the holes at the top of the purple-rim monti colony at far right in the tank. I only see a couple inches worth of 3 arms when cyclopeeze goes in the tank. He's really good at picking them off for a creature that can't see anything

Oh, these guys have amazing olfactory senses. You should notice the arms extending just seconds after you introduce anything food-like into the tank. Also be sure to watch them "conveyor belting" food items in and waste products out...If yours has 6 arms, it will likely multiply easily by fission.

The stand is only 27" tall, so the top of the tank is at 39.5". Makes it very easy to work in and easy for even short lil Amber to see in the top, and the view sitting on the couch is perfect (I'll have to take those pics sometime soon)

Me being me, I had to get out the tape measure...wow, that is low. How nice!

For Diane: I got a pic that sort of illustrates the digging ability. This one didn't go far because it was next to the glass, but you can sort of see the mound it's made on either side (especially the left) from the foot pushing out sand:

HPIM3488.jpg

Thanks! Sure would like to witness this. "In my next tank..."

Thank you sir! Still on the lookout for a blue maxi :)

Today's plan was to head out to Roozen's, a wholesaler in DC. The tanks are pretty gross, but he sometimes gets adhesive anemones and they sometimes turn out to be mini carpets, according to some local reefers. But, I woke up to this:

Care to give a quick definition of "adhesive nems" and save me the trouble of looking it up? :D

BTW, Gizmo's a real character!

:lol: Have to wait for the lights to come on...good time to explain that one I suppose:

Lighting schedule currently (eastern time, for you Cali people):

3:00 70w MH on

4:00 150w MH on

10:00 150w MH off

11:00 70w MH off

Under normal circumstances, I leave for classes/work around 8-9 am and get back, depending on the day, between 3 and 5 pm. So I try to have the lights coming on around the time I get home and going off around the time I would normally start doing homework or grading (learned quickly that the tank is a HUGE distraction to school).

What self-discipline! So everything's fine with only 8 hours of light per day, eh?

I spent a lot of time on the nem pic posts. I had not realized the Borneman nems were that colorful. What striking animals. The variety of minis and maxis is spectacular. What an amazing collection!

BTW, I have a shroom that I've always called "camo!" :D

And those pics in post #76 (!) are outstanding! Did you enter that first one in this month's photo contest? (I haven't had the time to look at them much so far...)

I love this thread! :)

--Diane

Daniel, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my numerous questions. So far. :D

(RE brittle stars:)

Oh, these guys have amazing olfactory senses. You should notice the arms extending just seconds after you introduce anything food-like into the tank. Also be sure to watch them "conveyor belting" food items in and waste products out...If yours has 6 arms, it will likely multiply easily by fission.

I like questions - gives me stuff to do and keeps me out of trouble :)

I'm up to 4 arms on the brittle star so far, hoping for 6. He really likes the Cyclopeeze. It and the enormous vermetid have a fight over the food most days. Amazing how much snot that thing can produce!

Me being me, I had to get out the tape measure...wow, that is low. How nice!

:lol: The height of the tank is working nicely - short enough that I can reach the bottom in the back with minimal effort.

Thanks! Sure would like to witness this. "In my next tank..."

Care to give a quick definition of "adhesive nems" and save me the trouble of looking it up? :D

You have room in that stuffed full 5.5!! :P

Adhesive anemone - aka pizza anemone Cryptodendrum adhaesivum. Very similar in appearance to carpet anemones, named for it's stickiness and pizza-like appearance (larger outer tentacles of a solid color and smaller inner tentacles in mottled/patterned colors). The only clown it hosts naturally is the Clarkii, and it's rare in Singapore.

Pics:

Multicolor%20Pizza%20anemone.jpg

PIZZA_RAK.jpg

photo_7.jpg

BTW, Gizmo's a real character!

What self-discipline! So everything's fine with only 8 hours of light per day, eh?

Well, he likes to think so anyway.

The lighting isn't so much discipline as timers. Otherwise, the lights would probably be on all day, at least right now, while I'm waiting for school to start up again. Everything seems fine with the lighting schedule, and could actually do with less - down to 5 hours a day. In fact, the zoas are much more colorful with less of a lighting period. The past 6 months or so when everything was in the 15g, I've taken a week each month and dropped the lighting down to 5 hours a day, the zoas brighten up and any algae growth dies back, and then go back to the normal schedule (Usually when I'm on a trip. I drop it down to reduce evap, since I'm still the only ATO system, and the other benefits follow.).

I spent a lot of time on the nem pic posts. I had not realized the Borneman nems were that colorful. What striking animals. The variety of minis and maxis is spectacular. What an amazing collection!

BTW, I have a shroom that I've always called "camo!" :D

Anemones :wub:

I can't take credit for camo - that one's from adin. Fairly fitting for it, I think.

And those pics in post #76 (!) are outstanding! Did you enter that first one in this month's photo contest? (I haven't had the time to look at them much so far...)

Thanks! I got lucky with the settings and Gizmo behaved. When he's running around, the whole darned floor shakes. I haven't put the pic in the photo contest - didn't think it really fit the "orange" theme as much as some of the others, so I'll wait for another contest.

I love this thread! :)

--Diane

Thank you :flower:

Not much of an update today, except that I bought 30 tiny nerites (the largest is maybe the size of my pinky nail) while at Mr. Coral last night. Some have very colorful shell patterns, which I'll try to get a pic of sometime. I was looking for Cerith and Nassarius as well, but he didn't have any while I was there. I'm heading over to Virginia next week to pick up some Halodule seagrass, so maybe I can find some at Blue Ribbon Koi.

Other than that...I decided to emphasize all the anemones I have in the tank by putting yellow dots on my FTS, since most are so small they aren't apparent in the FTS. (And these are just the anemones that I know the location of, there are many others within the live rock somewhere, and several in the sump.

This is the FTS from a couple days ago for comparison:

HPIM3505.jpg

And with the anemones marked:

nems.jpg

:lol: good to know I'm not the only one bored today :)

well i went to try to get a new phone today at ATT and they were hassling me so i left. then i was supposed to go see Cloverfield, but after reading a couple reviews before the 4:45 show, ive decided that i do not want to see a movie directed by the creator of LOST. so now i have nothing to do but play connect-the-nems.

Not much of an update today, except that I bought 30 tiny nerites (the largest is maybe the size of my pinky nail) while at Mr. Coral last night. Some have very colorful shell patterns, which I'll try to get a pic of sometime. I was looking for Cerith and Nassarius as well, but he didn't have any while I was there. I'm heading over to Virginia next week to pick up some Halodule seagrass, so maybe I can find some at Blue Ribbon Koi.

Other than that...I decided to emphasize all the anemones I have in the tank by putting yellow dots on my FTS, since most are so small they aren't apparent in the FTS. (And these are just the anemones that I know the location of, there are many others within the live rock somewhere, and several in the sump.

This is the FTS from a couple days ago for comparison:

HPIM3505.jpg

And with the anemones marked:

nems.jpg

That's a very cool way to emphasize your numbers! It would actually be very interesting to do this regularly, and see if any patterns emerge, distribution wise.

ooooooh, connect-the-dots :happy:

nems.jpg

i dont think i did it right...

kind of looks like a mooninite from Aqua Teen

Almost looks like "Chupa was here!" :D

Daniel, thanks for all the info about and especially the pics of the pizza nem! Now I remember seeing them talked about before on N-R. What a stunning animal.

I'm really going to have to invest in timers...I always overdo the photoperiod, even though I'm always fighting algae...

LOL about Gizmo running around! I've refrained many a time from telling my family what lummoxes they are for stomping thru the kitchen when I'm trying to take pics! Funny how we reefers end up having so much in common. :)

--Diane

That's a very cool way to emphasize your numbers! It would actually be very interesting to do this regularly, and see if any patterns emerge, distribution wise.

Almost looks like "Chupa was here!" :D

Daniel, thanks for all the info about and especially the pics of the pizza nem! Now I remember seeing them talked about before on N-R. What a stunning animal.

I'm really going to have to invest in timers...I always overdo the photoperiod, even though I'm always fighting algae...

LOL about Gizmo running around! I've refrained many a time from telling my family what lummoxes they are for stomping thru the kitchen when I'm trying to take pics! Funny how we reefers end up having so much in common. :)

--Diane

:lol: It does look like Chupa!

When Amber was here and I was working on the tank setup, I had the lights on for 12-15 hours a day, and I was definitely getting more algae growth. Cutting back has helped quite a bit.

I should call Gizmo a lummox...wonder if that'll get him to settle down... :happy:

*sigh*...my dot "map" has already become outdated. I found another mini hanging out next to the smaller Borneman anemone (just to the left of the Sargassum in the middle of the tank). Then, I looked closer, and one of the minis in the sargassum leaves had decded to split. :happy: It was about halfway done when I saw it (first time to see the process happening). Took a couple pics, but I don't know if they'll turn out or not - too many leaves and corals in the way for a good focus.

"Outdated" in a good way! :D

--D

:happy: yeah. It'll be even worse soon - some of the maxis are ready to cut again.

This is more to keep my research together than anything else, but I just came across an artcle about clams and seahorses in Singapore: http://www.innovationmagazine.com/innovati.../feature2.shtml

(A clam may be in the workings!)

T. squamosa is the most common, but T. maxima and T. crocea are found as well, although in fewer and fewer numbers.

mrcoral is getting some 2" clams in tomorrow, got two nice montis from him yesterday

yeah, I was up there Friday to get snails, which was half-successful, and he told me he was getting them in. I've been hoping for a squamosa, since they're easier and more common in Singapore, but have a feeling they'll all be maximas.

I really like that monster squamosa he's had a couple weeks, but it wouldn't have room to grow.

Did you see the blue/purple-polyped monti with the white base? I grabbed one - still not sure if it bleached out and came back or what, but the polyps are an awesome color, no matter what the base color ends up being. Need to get some pics of it soon for comparison in a month or so.

yea, thats what i grabbed it should color up to a yellow base. And i think I got a rainbow monti also if it colors up like I think it will. junkitu has that monti.

You promised me pictures of your new pieces. So get busy takin some and posting them Mister. :P

Please :flower:

I refer you to the lighting schedule posted for others to see :P

(yes honey... :flower:)

Damn she just e-grabbed your balls. hahahahaha

no comment ;)

I refer you to the lighting schedule posted for others to see :P

THIS LIGHTING SCHEDULE?? Well it is now during a lights on period. So wheres my pictures? ;)

THIS LIGHTING SCHEDULE?? Well it is now during a lights on period. So wheres my pictures? ;)

in my camera.....stuck

YOUR dog chewed the camera cord :angry:

in my camera.....stuck

YOUR dog chewed the camera cord :angry:

Seriously? That sucks...Bad dog.

Now, how am I supposed to get pictures??

The card reader wont work??

Archived