Coral Vue Hydros

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THAT is beautiful!!! So Zen. I like it just the way it is, but, knowing how these things go, are you planning any additions?

--Diane

Nothing in the immediate future, until I get the temp down from 72* and let the bacterial populations take hold.

Eventually, I'd love to cover the big rocks on the right with strawberry nems, if I can ever get hold of any.

ok, real update:

Since adding the two huge monti colonies, and another decent-sized chunk to keep the Heteractis away from the less hardy corals, along with the clam, my calcium and alkalinity is going down like crazy. I'm dosing about 10 mils each of Part A and B a day to keep up. But growth has exploded in the past week, from nearly everything in the tank - including the Neomeris, which has nearly doubled the number of stalks it has put out, and the Caulerpa, which has taken hold and putting runners out everywhere :scarry:

First, the new FTS, including the lights:

HPIM3690.jpg

I added the isolation unit to trap minis that I'd caught on the move for easier propagation. I think I have 6 trapped right now.

The clam has grown quite a bit. The second shot shows the new growth in the last week (it had no white growth areas when I first got it, and didn't show any signs of growing until last week):

HPIM3694.jpg

HPIM3700.jpg

Sargassum has been growing nicely...but has an aiptasia stuck in it <_<. Will have to kill soon. All sorts of coralline has started populating the leaves.

HPIM3705.jpg

HPIM3715.jpg

Monti wall:

HPIM3719.jpg

Side shots from my chair:

HPIM3713.jpg

HPIM3714.jpg

WOW

Beautiful shots!!

Love this tank too!!

( BTW, still sore from the fender bender?? That was very kind of you to let her go and not make a big deal out of it IMO )

Your montis are crazy. That purple one especially. If I remember correctly you have another huge colony as well don't you. A red or orange?

Bill

WOW

Beautiful shots!!

Love this tank too!!

( BTW, still sore from the fender bender?? That was very kind of you to let her go and not make a big deal out of it IMO )

It was a little uncomfortable sleeping that night, but no soreness since. It wasn't really worth getting upset over. -_-

Your montis are crazy. That purple one especially. If I remember correctly you have another huge colony as well don't you. A red or orange?

Bill

yeah, orange. It's hiding behind the purple. You can see it in the FTS at right center (with the HUGE vermetid making snot).

The purple one has grown probably a half inch in some places in less than 2 weeks. It completely shaded out a Cyphastrea in the sand under it that I had to move out, and I'll have to move the Faviid in the next week or so.

and the Caulerpa, which has taken hold and putting runners out everywhere :scarry:

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Tank is looking great. I love how it is progressing. Keep the pics coming!

Between you and Yardboy I think you have inspired me to do a brackish Chesapeake Bay temperate biotope since I have the Bay on one side of me and the Patuxent River on the other. It probably won't be very pretty, but it should be very interesting. Time to get researching and then figure out where all my dive gear is! :)

-Prof

This is such a cool tank, I wish I could see it in person.

Is it what you were hoping it would be when it was still in the planning stages?

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Tank is looking great. I love how it is progressing. Keep the pics coming!

Between you and Yardboy I think you have inspired me to do a brackish Chesapeake Bay temperate biotope since I have the Bay on one side of me and the Patuxent River on the other. It probably won't be very pretty, but it should be very interesting. Time to get researching and then figure out where all my dive gear is! :)

-Prof

Trust me, I'm shaking in my boots when I watch it. The runners are in the 4-6" range on a couple pieces, and by next week I'll have to start trimming parts back to keep it out of the rockwork. If I could keep it contained, I would like to make it a background behind the rocks to give the tank an extra layer of depth. But I'm not sure how to keep it contained in that inch or so of space.

GO FOR IT!!! I wouldn't mind seeing that tank at all...and it would be very interesting to see what species you could come up with for it.

Wow nice shots especially the one of your clam.

This is a very cool thread.

This is such a cool tank, I wish I could see it in person.

Is it what you were hoping it would be when it was still in the planning stages?

Thanks Weet! If you ever drive up this way for some reason, lmk and I'll even bake some cookies :P

It's different than I'd originally pictured it, but not too far off. Once the macroalgaes and seagrass take over a bit, I think it'll look..."right". From the technical aspect, the lighting upgrade and finishing the cabinetry would be nice, and I still want to tinker with the closed loop some to get better flow to a couple areas. The only thing I'd definitely do over completely would be using a larger sump to make better use of the space below the tank. So overall, I'm quite happy with what it's turned into thus far. :)

Is that Neomeris? I've never seen it grow in that form before.

Purdy.

yep - behind the crazy bladed Caulerpa in the next to last pic. I like it (mini carpets seem to as well...there's three or four congregated in that patch now.

Where did you pick up such large monti colonies? Were those grown out from frags or purchased at that size? That's very impressive. This tank is turning out to be awesome.

Bill

Trust me, I'm shaking in my boots when I watch it. The runners are in the 4-6" range on a couple pieces, and by next week I'll have to start trimming parts back to keep it out of the rockwork. If I could keep it contained, I would like to make it a background behind the rocks to give the tank an extra layer of depth. But I'm not sure how to keep it contained in that inch or so of space.

GO FOR IT!!! I wouldn't mind seeing that tank at all...and it would be very interesting to see what species you could come up with for it.

In my tank the runners actually shot under the rockwork and did just that. I left a couple of pieces back there when I pruned out your bunch to see what would happen. If it grows all the way in it would definately add visual appeal and depth. In a couple of places I still had to pull runners off the rocks though.

I think the Bay Biotope will have to wait until late spring to get started. I'm pretty hard core, but I am not diving in the winter, even though the visability is better (though it was 75 bloody degrees today!). I have seen several varieties of pipefish and some interesting (although plain looking) anemones while snorkeling. I have seen one species of crab around the nems pretty regularly so I have to wonder if there is some commensual/symbiotic relationship. Occasionally one can find seahorses as well. I am going to have to hit the books and check into collecting laws.

You should come down this summer on the weekend and we can go collecting (i.e., get sunburned, covered with jellyfish stings and have our feet sliced up from walking on barnacles and oyster shells) and then drink some beer and pound down a bushel of crabs. Good times! :D

-Prof

Where did you pick up such large monti colonies? Were those grown out from frags or purchased at that size? That's very impressive. This tank is turning out to be awesome.

Bill

We got them from a lfs here in KY they have had the two colonies for quite a long time before we bought them.

You should come down this summer on the weekend and we can go collecting (i.e., get sunburned, covered with jellyfish stings and have our feet sliced up from walking on barnacles and oyster shells) and then drink some beer and pound down a bushel of crabs. Good times! :D

-Prof

Only if i get to come too please :flower: Daniel and I will be married by then. :)

We got them from a lfs here in KY they have had the two colonies for quite a long time before we bought them.

Only if i get to come too please :flower: Daniel and I will be married by then. :)

The more the merrier! :grouphug:

-Prof

*edit: I can't believe I just used a group hug smiley.

Bill

:lol: Those two colonies are a bit of a long story. They were at an LFS in Kentucky that I frequented, and sat around for about a year in the same tank. Any time someone wanted a piece of it, they'd just snap off whatever had encrusted over the glass at the bottom of the tank. When I moved up here, I got a couple small frags of each, but they didn't make the trip. So over Christmas break, I made the rounds of the old stores, and whatcha know - they're still there. Seeing that as a "calling", I bought both of them (for a darned cheap price for their size) and drove them back to Maryland with me. When I bought them, they were about the same size as in the pics, but I chopped off all the plates and made about 20 frags (which are actually in the biotope, behind the rockwork). Since chopping them at the beginning of January, they've grown back to nearly the size they were in January.

In my tank the runners actually shot under the rockwork and did just that. I left a couple of pieces back there when I pruned out your bunch to see what would happen. If it grows all the way in it would definately add visual appeal and depth. In a couple of places I still had to pull runners off the rocks though.

I think the Bay Biotope will have to wait until late spring to get started. I'm pretty hard core, but I am not diving in the winter, even though the visability is better (though it was 75 bloody degrees today!). I have seen several varieties of pipefish and some interesting (although plain looking) anemones while snorkeling. I have seen one species of crab around the nems pretty regularly so I have to wonder if there is some commensual/symbiotic relationship. Occasionally one can find seahorses as well. I am going to have to hit the books and check into collecting laws.

-Prof

My male clown has started hosting the Caulerpa in the last week or so. He runs and hides in it when the female comes by to check him out. (Clarkii love is soooo abusive...my female is a horrible husband beater)

:lol: Winter would be a bit cold...don't blame you for waiting. But the wait is half the excitement. I'll have to check into the species around here, maybe I could get a couple local species for the coldwater tank as well.

You just say the word, I'll be down there...well, assuming I'm not getting married/honeymooning ;) Wouldn't pass up the opportunity for a collecting trip full of pain :lol:

So those aren't plating or they are? They appear to be encrusting but not like an undata. More of that fuzzy polyp appearance like a superman/rainbow/pokerstar. How have the frags fared?

Bill

Nothing in the immediate future, until I get the temp down from 72* and let the bacterial populations take hold.

Eventually, I'd love to cover the big rocks on the right with strawberry nems, if I can ever get hold of any.

are you talking about these....nems

So those aren't plating or they are? They appear to be encrusting but not like an undata. More of that fuzzy polyp appearance like a superman/rainbow/pokerstar. How have the frags fared?

Bill

The orange one is definitely not plating, and I'm fairly certain it's the same as those three...which I suppose makes it a danae in terms of trade species, but in reality is probably a verrucosa.

The purple one is a very thick plating species (in fact, the underside of that entire thing has only a single shell under it - it's just a big cavern, and hasn't grown onto any rock the LFS or I have ever put it on - it didn't even encrust on the glass at the LFS, just plated on top of it. I'm not sure of the species on it yet.

The frags have done well. They still look like rectangles for the most part, but the edges are encrusted to the point where all the cut edges are fairly well populated with polyps, but they haven't shown the bright purply-blue edges that the main colony has yet. The first couple should be ready to go out to the person I got for the V-day swap, and I'm hoping the edges will color up by then.

are you talking about these....nems

yep...those would be the ones.

Lucky them! That's very kewl about the purple monti. Never seen one quite like that. I think you may be right about the orange as well now that I look at your pics a little more closely.

Those 'nems will really stand out in the coldwater tank. Should go well with the ones you already have.

Bill

Archived