inTank Media Baskets

Won't you be my Valentine?

arwndsh

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very interested but all I have to offer are a few photosynthetic Gorgonian frags (1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 orange) all about 2.5-3 inches long. Would anyone be interested in these, because if not I don't want to suck up a spot and give out stuff nobody wants?

I can't wait until we get this rolling and what are dates!

The dates for shipping are the Monday and Tuesday before Valentine's Day the 11th and 12th. I need to have your info by midnight on the first of Feb. (Got yours fragmadness)

I'm very interested but all I have to offer are a few photosynthetic Gorgonian frags (1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 orange) all about 2.5-3 inches long. Would anyone be interested in these, because if not I don't want to suck up a spot and give out stuff nobody wants?

I'm sure anyone would be happy to receive those. So shoot me a pm with your information and I will put you on the list.

shivametimbas

i can receive any day also.

louie, i never received a frag packaged the way yours was, not to mention a full size brain. wasnt it in zip-lock bags for starters? i'm not even worried about it. i wont say anymore about it.

looking forward to this one. ordering bags and heat packs in a minute.

BustytheSnowMaam

Heat packs-

Take the heat pack out of its outer wrapping and put it in your pocket while you're bagging/packaging the coral. It will absorb the heat from your body and should feel really toasty when you mail it (thanks Biblesue for this idea). Tape it to the lid of the box, and make sure there's a layer of newspaper between the box lid and the coral bags. When you tape it to the lid of the box, the red stripes should be facing you.

I think we have to keep in mind that for some of us it was our first time shipping anything, I made mistakes (and yes even used Ziplocs) when I first started shipping.

If anyone needs heat packs/bags again PM me by Feb 1. I can give 1 heat pack per person and as many bags as needed (double-bagging). I have plenty of bags this time. :)

PLEASE HAVE YOUR INFORMATION TO ME BY MIDNIGHT CENTRAL FEB. FIRST! THANKS

List of participants that I have received all info from(will try to update daily):

dtfleming

shivametimbas

dshnarw

varanus37

nano-paul

adinsxq

wtfe

mudfish

Louie3

reeferman-chris

BibleSue

tashayar

fragmadness

medachef

Sweet!!

I'm waiting til after the swap to PM you my info, since what I want and what I have to send will very likely change after that.

And also, don't ship corals in zip-locks!!!

Pretty sure I said that last time too.

Also, we are using the styro with the silver lining. We suspect that is helping things hold the heat during shipping now that it is cold.

shivametimbas

i have a very nice styro box that i will be using. i got zoas in it after the post office took about a week and all was fine. it is a quality box, and i'm sure it will do the job. let me know if everyone insists on using the other stuff and i'll comply.

p.s. keep in mind that i cant receive/ship usps overnight and will have to go ups or fedex.

i have a very nice styro box that i will be using. i got zoas in it after the post office took about a week and all was fine. it is a quality box, and i'm sure it will do the job. let me know if everyone insists on using the other stuff and i'll comply.

p.s. keep in mind that i cant receive/ship usps overnight and will have to go ups or fedex.

I'm familiar with those boxes and think it would work fine. Just make sure you put the heat pack pretty close to the coral/s. You might even want to think about using 2 heat packs with a container that size, but that's up to you.

I know you can't receive overnight from USPS.

Arwndsh, you might want to consider another "Shipping Relief Fund", like we had last time. Just find out who's willing to contribute and once everyone's matched up and you know who will have to use either UPS or FedEx, you can have the donors send the $$ directly to whoever needs it. It's simpler that way.

FYI for everyone else, there will be a few people who will have to ship out by UPS or FedEx overnight because USPS Express will not get there overnight. I think we had around 4 shipments that had to go out that way last time. This will cost about $15 extra in shipping fees if you pack carefully, more if you don't.

I don't believe in heat/cold packs. (i think i explained myself in mvite's shipping thread)

i'm going to use a uline 2 piece styro box (if i ever remember to pick them up)

if that bothers you, TOO BAD. (no, just tell amber you don't want to receive from me!)

just sayin'! :happy:

Arwndsh, you might want to consider another "Shipping Relief Fund", like we had last time. Just find out who's willing to contribute and once everyone's matched up and you know who will have to use either UPS or FedEx, you can have the donors send the $$ directly to whoever needs it. It's simpler that way.

FYI for everyone else, there will be a few people who will have to ship out by UPS or FedEx overnight because USPS Express will not get there overnight. I think we had around 4 shipments that had to go out that way last time. This will cost about $15 extra in shipping fees if you pack carefully, more if you don't.

Weetie that sounds like a good idea. If anyone can help please let me know, we want to be able to make this so everyone can participate.

I don't believe in heat/cold packs. (i think i explained myself in mvite's shipping thread)

i'm going to use a uline 2 piece styro box (if i ever remember to pick them up)

if that bothers you, TOO BAD. (no, just tell amber you don't want to receive from me!)

just sayin'! :happy:

Can you copy that explanation and post it here?

I agree with you on cold packs, but definitely not on heat packs.

The last coral shipment I received, which was about 1 week ago, was packaged very tightly and professionally with regular styro and a heat pack, yet the corals were still at 63 degrees when I received them. Can you imagine what temp they would have been at had he not used a heat pack?

During the last swap, there was one package shipped out without a heat pack and the corals were cold when received. Some lived, some didn't.

BustytheSnowMaam

Not that you need my .02, but if you ship to Wisconsin or any northern state, you need a heat pack, esp. in Jan. Even in styro, if a package sits overnight on a truck, it's going to freeze. I received a box of frozen snails once from Premium Aquatics because they didn't use a heat pack.

Just be sure to read the directions carefully on the heat pack and/or read my post above about how to activate a heat pack.

Again, I have 30 hour heat packs from Ken's Fish that I will give you if you PM me with your addy.

reeferman-chris
Can you copy that explanation and post it here?

I agree with you on cold packs, but definitely not on heat packs.

The last coral shipment I received, which was about 1 week ago, was packaged very tightly and professionally with regular styro and a heat pack, yet the corals were still at 63 degrees when I received them. Can you imagine what temp they would have been at had he not used a heat pack?

During the last swap, there was one package shipped out without a heat pack and the corals were cold when received. Some lived, some didn't.

When in doubt with using a heat pack pm whoever you're sending too. I live in SoCal but I'm in the High Desert so night time temperatures here are below freezing!!! Heat pack would be a must for me...

Chris

i can receive any day also.

louie, i never received a frag packaged the way yours was, not to mention a full size brain. wasnt it in zip-lock bags for starters? i'm not even worried about it. i wont say anymore about it.

looking forward to this one. ordering bags and heat packs in a minute.

ZIPLOC bags??? your crazy! She was in actuall bags you get from a LFS for shipping!

SHIPPING TUTORIAL

IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SHIP W/A HEAT PACK DURING WINTER MONTHS!!!

-Don't ship in a thermos. The thermos will not allow enough air in for the heat pack to work, and the coral/s will become dangerously cold.

Not to take this thread off-topic, but I've seen even the most fragile SPS corals after 40 hrs WITHOUT heat packs and they were fine...and this was after travelling quite a distance in the belly of an aircraft. They wre insulated, but not heat packed. For whatever the reason, most corals seem to be able to handle cold temperatures much better than warm (being left on a sunny porch in July). The key to a successful receipt of the corals is slow acclimation to the target system's water temperature.

HTH!

i won't take offense if you guys/girls vote me out!

i know of one person on the list that is okay with you being their...valentine? :lol:

maybe more, but Amber went back to KY, so I haven't seen the list lately.

Archived