ReefCleaners.org

Won't you be my Valentine?

arwndsh

PLEASE HAVE YOUR INFORMATION TO ME BY MIDNIGHT CENTRAL FEB. FIRST! THANKS

I forgot to add that to participate your tank must be at least 7 months old and have at least 100 posts.

Also shipping must be by an overnight service last time most people used usps express if at all possible before switching to another carrier if it usps express was not available.

Alright everybody here is the information for the next frag swap. It will work like the last one with a secret "santa" style. Proposed shipping days are the 11th and 12th of Feb. (Monday and Tuesday). If you would like to participate add your name to the list I am sure will start shortly and that I will be editting into this post along the way and them pm me the following information:

-what you want

-location (shipping address)

-tank specs (size and type of light, what you are currently keeping)

-what you are planning on giving

I will try to find Weeties shipping guide and post it soon, for now it is located in the first post of the first link.

Here are the links to the threads from last time, the organization of it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...hl=secret+santa

and the feedback

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...hl=secret+santa

List of participants that I have received all info from(will try to update daily):

West Coast

adinsxq

reeferman-chris

Mrseptember15

ReeFur

East Coast

mudfish

varanus37

fragmadness

shivametimbas

dtfleming

toastii

wtfe

dweakl01

BibleSue

Weetabix7

Louie3

tashayar

dshnarw

jpndave

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SHIPPING TUTORIAL

There's more than one way to ship, but this is what works for me.

-I like to use 6x6 or 7x7 boxes. I get mine from Wal-Mart, they're pretty cheap.

-Line the box with some type of insulating material. A lot of people use simple styrofoam, which can be found in any store that carries craft supplies. I actually prefer to use an insulating foam that can be found in the Building Supply dept. of any hardware store. It really helps to try to get a tight fit with whatever type of insulating liner you use.

This is a pic of the insulation I use. The white piece w/print is the back of the insulation, the small silver slivers are pieces showing the front surface of the insulation:

DSCN1889.jpg

-Just inside the insulation, I like to put a large plastic bag. This is to prevent Post Office freakouts and damp boxes in the event that some water leaks out of the frag bags. I use plastic shopping bags.

-According to Post Office regulations, it is okay to ship liquids as long as there is enough absorbent material in the package to absorb anything that leaks. Therefore, I use either newspaper or paper towels as packing material around the bags.

-For bags, I like to use 6" x 20" 2 mil bags from kensfish.com. Here's a link:

http://www.kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html

If you're bagging zoas, you can put 2-3 frags in one bag as long as you wrap each frag in a paper towel to protect them from jostling each other. This will also keep them damp if water leaks out of the bag. I only use paper towels w/zoas.

For other corals, one frag to a bag is probably best.

They don't need to have a whole bagful of water, just enough to keep them covered during shipment.

I like to double bag my frags, and fasten each bag individually with a rubber band.

-Place bag in box, fill remainder of space w/newspaper or paper towel, and close larger outer bag over the whole w/tape.

This is what your package should look like before closing and taping the outer bag over the contents:

DSCN1885.jpg

-For heat packs, I like to use 40 hr. heat packs from kensfish.com, see above link.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SHIP W/A HEAT PACK DURING WINTER MONTHS!!!

Wrap heat pack in newspaper or paper towel, place on top of outer bag, place top piece of insulating foam, then close box, tape well, address and ship!

Heat Packs, opened and unopened:

DSCN1894.jpg

Make sure you remove your heat pack from the outer wrapping before shipping.

This is what your package should look like w/the outer bag closed and the newspaper wrapped heat pack placed on top:

DSCN1893.jpg

A couple of last tips:

-Don't ship in a thermos. The thermos will not allow enough air in for the heat pack to work, and the coral/s will become dangerously cold.

-Make sure that your insulating liner is very tight, with no holes or openings. I HAVE noticed over the last couple of months that the kind of insulation that I posted a pic of above keeps corals substantially warmer than simple craft styro. It literally makes the difference between corals received in 63 degree water and corals received in 79 degree water. I can verify this by personal experience.

-Corals shipped in larger boxes/containers do not stay warm as well because the heat from the heat pack disperses over a larger area. Tight packaging makes a difference.

-Corals can be shipped in much less water than you would think. For a frame of reference, I can and have successfully shipped 3 zoa frags in one bag with 1 1/4 cups of water, or 6 squirts from a turkey baster.

The less water there is, the less the package will weigh and the lower the shipping charges will be.

-MAKE SURE TO WAIVE THE SIGNATURE ON THE PACKAGES YOU SHIP OUT!!!

I made some new edits in my first post. Thanks Weetie for posting the shipping instructions. If anyone has questions or other recommendations please feel free to contact me.

shivametimbas

I'll give this another shot. i have MH with PC actinic lighting. i would like anything except dead/dying corals that are inappropriately packed. ;)

corals of particular interest include

sps

monti

rics

neon toadstool

dendro

bullseye shrooms

zoanthids/palys

so on and so on.

I'll give this another shot. i have MH with PC actinic lighting. i would like anything except dead/dying corals that are inappropriately packed. ;)

corals of particular interest include

sps

monti

rics

neon toadstool

dendro

bullseye shrooms

zoanthids/palys

so on and so on.

Do you mind pming me this info along with the other requested info (tank specs and location). Thanks its just easier to have it all in one place. :)

dtfleming

shivametimbas

Weetabix7

dshnarw

fragmadness

Pinner Reef

BibleSue

varanus37

Of course I'm in. It was good times for the Secret Santa. Thanks for doing this arwndsh!

Bill

Don't forget if you want to be able to receive your package I need your address and what would be the best day for you to receive your package on (we are shipping on M and T this time for T and W delivery. Thanks :)

Also, I wil not be adding you to the master list until I get all of you information, so if your name is not on the list in my first post that means I still need your information..

Whoever gets me, don't forget to send some cookies!

Oh wait, if there's a leak, they might get soggy, hmmm....

Okay, super cool corals will be fine!

reeferman-chris

dtfleming

shivametimbas

Weetabix7

dshnarw

fragmadness

Pinner Reef

BibleSue

varanus37

nano-paul

reeferman-chris

YAY!!! I've been waiting for this!!! Something special may be brewin!!!

Chris

reeferman-chris
Don't forget if you want to be able to receive your package I need your address and what would be the best day for you to receive your package on (we are shipping on M and T this time for T and W delivery. Thanks :)

Also, I wil not be adding you to the master list until I get all of you information, so if your name is not on the list in my first post that means I still need your information..

pm sent with info...

I can recieve anyday

Thanks for organizing this!!!

Chris

BustytheSnowMaam

I'm in-hope it's ok Amber, I added everyone to the list who has posted so far:

dtfleming

shivametimbas

Weetabix7

dshnarw

fragmadness

Pinner Reef

BibleSue

varanus37

nano-paul

adinsxq

wtfe

reeferman-chris

mudfish

tashayar

Thanks Tasha, thats the more informal planning on doing it list. I just updated the master list of those who have sent me their info. If you plan on participating and your name is not on the list yet I need your information. I still need the information from fragmaddness and pinner. Thanks everyone for wanting to participate lets make this the best frag swap so far. ;)

That wasnt nice :( I triple bagged that sucker and I dont know why the heat packed failed.

Archived