inTank Media Baskets

lilredneckmans RSM

lilredneckman

lilredneckman
I dunno about the RSM chambers but when Finnex sump chamber runs low the tank fills with bubbles unless full making constantly topping off to fix really pissin' me off!!! ATO might be the key for you also if thats the problem. :)

Thanks for the idea, but it is not the problem. I have it filled up to the black line and i know its not sucking air. in the back it is just as high as it is in the tank. Any other ideas on what it may be? BTW i love your new Avatar!

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many micro bubble are you getting? What is defined as "a lot" I know i had them for weeks but they went away on their own once I got a good bio load in there. How are your pumps? getting enough water flow to them?

Ok RSM experts i need some help. Ever since i have had this tank set up i have had these little micro bubbles everywhere i have cut the black sponge in half and removed the white one too. I am not running the skimmer yet because i am still in my cycle. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like power head starvation to me. Check to make sure that your chemical filter media isn't bogging down the water flow somewhere. Also think about turning on the skimmer but clamping down the air hose valve to its minimum setting to cut back on the air bubbles from the skimmer. That way you have the intake pump on the skimmer boosting the amount of water coming in.

I had this problem chronically with my chemipure bag blocking good flow from chamber 1 into the skimmer and power head chambers. I have since picked up a poly-reactor and use it for my chemical filtration which makes changing the stuff out a breeze and no more pump head starvation.

UH formerly Fishhead2

whats with the name change FH2 ??? !!!

now i'm all confused

Spanko christened me that back when I did a posting for how to care for Urchins then urged me to change over. After doing a long write up for Chris on Urchins for the information database I decided to take Spanko's advice and change over. It seems I am somewhat the resident expert of the little buggers.

Speaking of which Mr. StevieT I would strongly urge you to think about a Tuxedo for your tank! They make one hell of a cleaner and are great fun to watch and to feed.

UH

well that is understandable then. Very cool you got to write that up. I am glad to see you kept the same avatar for the time being.

something like this?

lg_79336.jpg

well that is understandable then. Very cool you got to write that up. I am glad to see you kept the same avatar for the time being.

something like this?

Cheers. I have a couple more coming for him. I will be changing to a photo of my urchin cruising my tank with a couple of my candy cane frags on his back after a few weeks to make sure there is no confusion.

Yep. Thats the one. They come about 1" and grow to a max size of about 3". They also eat just about every kind of algae we get in our tanks. Except for Cyano. You may have to supplement him with nori though if you are algae poor. That in and of itself can be fun. See my posting on 'urchin kisses' to understand why. Plus it is a net gain from a cost/benefit perspective when factoring in the increase in bioload. Net gain because as you loose snails you don't have to replace them and it gives you something interesting to see in the tank as it works.

UH

That is great to hear, I have always been interested in them but didn't know if they could handle my tank. My glass builds up with algae over a few days, my snails do their job but the mag float finishes off the job. I will be looking into your article and watch out at the LFS's for one.

oh.... 2000 B)

what a way to spend my work day !

lilredneckman
how many micro bubble are you getting? What is defined as "a lot" I know i had them for weeks but they went away on their own once I got a good bio load in there. How are your pumps? getting enough water flow to them?

Well basically when i look in my tank i see a ton of white specks. Then i look closer and see that there is THOUSANDS of tiny little bubbles coming out of my powerheads.

Sounds like power head starvation to me. Check to make sure that your chemical filter media isn't bogging down the water flow somewhere. Also think about turning on the skimmer but clamping down the air hose valve to its minimum setting to cut back on the air bubbles from the skimmer. That way you have the intake pump on the skimmer boosting the amount of water coming in.

I had this problem chronically with my chemipure bag blocking good flow from chamber 1 into the skimmer and power head chambers. I have since picked up a poly-reactor and use it for my chemical filtration which makes changing the stuff out a breeze and no more pump head starvation.

UH formerly Fishhead2

Ok thanks for the info. i will go look right now and see if anything is clogging it up.

I am a little confused on that you mean when you say to turn on the skimmer and clamp down the air hose? How is this done?

Thanks!

lilredneckman

lilredneckman

Well i have a big problem...

I have had this colony of zoas for about a month and they have been thriving under my lights in my 5g. This past week only about 5 or so of them have been slightly been opening. Today i look in my tank and see that 2 of the polyps have this brown coating stuff over them. I peeled it right off and threw it away. I just did a water test and everything is perfect. I do a water change every week. (1g water change)

Then a light bulb went off in my head...

My lights are about a year old now and they are pc's. Then i realize that this may be the problem. The only thing is i am taking this tank down in about 2-3 weeks and transferring it all to the RSM. I really do not want to pay for new bulbs for only 2 weeks use of them. I do have a 55g but it is algae infested and i am trying to get that under control and i do not want it spreading to the RSM by adding corals to it until the RSM is finished cycling. I know you are really not supposed to do anything until the cycle is over but is it slightly possible that i could put them in the RSM even though it has not finished cycling? I really do not want to rush into ANYTHING but i would cry if i lost this colony.

Well i hope there is some way to save them...PLEASE HELP!!

That sucks! I'd hold em for ya but if something is wrong with zoos and it ain't light related I don't want it to infect my zoos. As for your ? I don't know.

lilredneckman
That sucks! I'd hold em for ya but if something is wrong with zoos and it ain't light related I don't want it to infect my zoos. As for your ? I don't know.

Yeah i know ya would but i would hate to infect your tank if something is wrong with them. They are now in high flow.

No, i wish, but after i get through this i will now.

hmm you do not need an actual tank to set 1 up, ddo u have a rubbermaid container or tub of somesort? if not, hmm idk, ill think of sumthin

lilredneckman
hmm you do not need an actual tank to set 1 up, ddo u have a rubbermaid container or tub of somesort? if not, hmm idk, ill think of sumthin

Yes i am sure i have a rubber maid somewhere laying around. But no light for it. I would just throw a HOB filter on it for flow because i have no extra powerheads.

Yes i am sure i have a rubber maid somewhere laying around. But no light for it. I would just throw a HOB filter on it for flow because i have no extra powerheads.

you could always use that fuge light on ur 55

lilredneckman
you could always use that fuge light on ur 55

For my fuge light i just have this clip on light from home depot just to grow cheato.

I have another idea though, what if i take some water and put it in a small clear container and drop the rock in it. I could put a lid on it and place it In the RSM but have it so no water can get in and i coul use the lights from the rsm. You get what i mean?

For my fuge light i just have this clip on light from home depot just to grow cheato.

I have another idea though, what if i take some water and put it in a small clear container and drop the rock in it. I could put a lid on it and place it In the RSM but have it so no water can get in and i coul use the lights from the rsm. You get what i mean?

hm yah i get wat you meen, but if u put a lid on it will get no flow(no flow=no new water, )it may create a ticking time bomb so to speak, and the colony may suffer, i still think you should just setup a QT made outa a rubbermaid and use your fuge lite

Listen zoos will grow under as little as 2watts per gal. as long as they have light they'll be fine. Use the clamp light over a rubbermade bin. If ya want I'll give ya some furan2 to help wit the brown crap. but in my experience it has killed em not cure.

lilredneckman

Uhh i am so torn and confused!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else had good results with the furan2?

I will go look for a rubber maid container right now.

Should i make up some new water for the zoas or take some from the 5g?

Archived