Coral Vue Hydros

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

I was just about to post an FTS. It's a quick snap, but you can see both of the corals, clarkii and if you look closely on the right, you may spy the Banded Coral Shrimp peeking out. There are some bubbles in the shot because I just did a W/C. The Xenia is loving it and is fully extended. The Mushroom Leather is not happy :mellow: . I remember having one before and they are very hardy...... But, my previous tank didn't have as much flow. Do leathers like more or less flow?

I'll try to post more detailed photos when I have more time. We're getting ready for the New Years Celebration. Happy New Year to You and everyone!

I'm seriously considering returning the snails. Thanks so much for your opinion.

FTS:

FTS12-31-07.jpg

leathers usually prefer more flow, just make sure it is not hit them directly(i.e. have it bounce off the glass)

Edited by Krayon

Boris,

Well, as often happens, I'm missing lots of email notifications about new posts to threads! I see I've missed a lot on yours!

That is a super looking clarkii--and I really prefer their markings to the Nemo-kind, tho all clowns are lovely.

I'm afraid what you've heard about margaritas is true. I got one as one of my first snails as well, and believed I'd proved the conventional wisdom wrong as it hung in there for maybe 6 months or so--but then it died. Since then I've read a zillion posts with the same experience. As to why they're so commonly collected and sold, your guess is as good as mine. I guess they're easy to find! They are not the only species with similar temp requirements...some nerites, some turbos, and I suppose other kinds of snails with species spread throughout the subtropics and temperate zones as well. Too bad there isn't some kind of punishment for selling critters who can't survive in the tanks they're destined for!

In my (limited) experience with leathers, they seem to take a long time to adjust to new conditions, relative to the corals that open up within a few hours. It may be a matter of days. Also, one of the first things they may do in a new tank is shed, a process which always involves a few days of no extension. If you haven't witnessed this yet, be prepared. It is a normal phenomenon but may be misperceived as a problem of some kind.

Every time I see a new fts, I think again how much I love the proportions and styling of your tank!

BTW, did your hermit regain its claw with the molt? :)

Great progress! Happy New Year!

--Diane

Boris,

Well, as often happens, I'm missing lots of email notifications about new posts to threads! I see I've missed a lot on yours!

That is a super looking clarkii--and I really prefer their markings to the Nemo-kind, tho all clowns are lovely.

I'm afraid what you've heard about margaritas is true. I got one as one of my first snails as well, and believed I'd proved the conventional wisdom wrong as it hung in there for maybe 6 months or so--but then it died. Since then I've read a zillion posts with the same experience. As to why they're so commonly collected and sold, your guess is as good as mine. I guess they're easy to find! They are not the only species with similar temp requirements...some nerites, some turbos, and I suppose other kinds of snails with species spread throughout the subtropics and temperate zones as well. Too bad there isn't some kind of punishment for selling critters who can't survive in the tanks they're destined for!

In my (limited) experience with leathers, they seem to take a long time to adjust to new conditions, relative to the corals that open up within a few hours. It may be a matter of days. Also, one of the first things they may do in a new tank is shed, a process which always involves a few days of no extension. If you haven't witnessed this yet, be prepared. It is a normal phenomenon but may be misperceived as a problem of some kind.

Every time I see a new fts, I think again how much I love the proportions and styling of your tank!

BTW, did your hermit regain its claw with the molt? :)

Great progress! Happy New Year!

--Diane

Thank you, Diane.

The hermit crab did regenerate his claw. He chose a great observable spot when he was molting and I had a front row seat to the entire proceeding. It's too bad that I couldn't take nice pictures because the angle to the camera was not right.

The Mushroom Leather coral has shrunk and is being covered with what looks like an encrusting film. He did shed a layer of slime right after I put him in my tank. At first it remained opened and the polyps were extended, though not fully. I didn't like the spot I chose for it initially and made a mistake of moving it too much. :huh: I also accidentally touched him with my arm (some say it's a no-no because it really irritates the colony). I also read that they don't like human arms in the water too much. I can understand that because we probably shed a lot of organic matter and chemicals. So, I'm planning to get an arm length glove for future meddling. I used to have a Leather just like him a long time ago and remember something similar happening, mostly that I was just as worried about it. The coral I used to have pulled through and started growing.

Mushroom_Web.jpg

As far as Astreas go, I'm not sure if returning them to the LFS is any better because they will probably sell the snails to someone else and their tanks are tropical too. I think I'll keep them because my reef stays on the low side temperature wise and I will make a commitment not to buy them anymore. I hope more people will do the same to drive the demand down.

As always, thank you for posting,

Boris

Edited by klarion

New Critters ;) ?

Here is a picture of the Pom-Pom Xenia. It's now extending fully every day and seems much more happy than at PetCo where it was only partially Extended.

PomPomXenia_Web.jpg

The situation is different with the Leather Mushroom. I've moved it around in my tank and accidentally touched it with my hand. It has shrunk yesterday and covered itself with a calcareous looking substance. I'm hoping it's an adjustment mechanism. I would even venture to say that it's how the coral is protecting itself from a perceived attack (me moving it and touching it).

On the other hand, the Rhodactis sp. mushrooms are looking rather chipper and also gained in appearance since introduction.

LeatherandMushrooms_Web.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the Mushroom Leather. Have you seen this before? Is it a stress reaction or a disease.

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab: some observations

At first I thought that this guy was just a lazy bum, sitting around and not cleaning much. He was also missing a claw. I think that part of his inactivity was because he was preparing to molt, which he did, regaining his missing parts. I've had a chance to watch his behaviour a little more and I believe the initial judgement was superficial. Though during the day he is not very active, mostly perching on rocks, at night he comes to life and starts moving about picking on algae. It's kind of tough to see what he's doing under the moon lights, but I think he tasted GHA and that made me very happy. He was nicknamed "chopper" by my sister because of the motion of his antenae (or whatever you call them).

Before Molt, without claw

RedHermit.jpg

After Molt (and yes, that thing on his shell, it is what you think ;) )

PICT5416copy.jpg

crablargecopy1.jpg

Edited by klarion
LeatherandMushrooms_Web.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the Mushroom Leather. Have you seen this before? Is it a stress reaction or a disease.

Give your leather a little time to extend it's polyps. Sometimes mine react similarly for days or a couple of weeks before coming out again, and it's usually b/c of me touching or moving it. Every time they do this to me I also worry that my water's poor or they're dying, but after watching them for months and months I see that it's normal behavior for them to receed for a while. Does that stuff blow off if by squirting it with a dropper or baster? Take pics if it begins to rid itself of that calcareous looking substance, which would be a good sign. I'm thinking if you maintain good water conditions, it should come back on it's own.

Edited by PurpleUP

Thank you, PurpleUP

I will definitely post pics when the mushroom starts shedding this stuff. Right now he's unchanged and as of yesterday I had 0 Nitrites and 5ppm Nitrates. I'll be making a water change today to dilute the Nitrates.

I also took your advice and started using PurpleUp, the product, to raise CA. Will post the results of it later.

Thank you, PurpleUP

I will definitely post pics when the mushroom starts shedding this stuff. Right now he's unchanged and as of yesterday I had 0 Nitrites and 5ppm Nitrates. I'll be making a water change today to dilute the Nitrates.

I also took your advice and started using PurpleUp, the product, to raise CA. Will post the results of it later.

PurpleUp worked great to speed up coralline growth in my BC14, but quite honestly I haven't used it for some time now. For a short while I used it for maintaining calcium levels, that and a number of other products including Kent's Kalwasser and Turbo Calcium. Today I use the liquid version of SeaChem's Reef Complete for maintaining Calcium, Strontium, and Magnesium, along with SeaChem's liquid Alkalinity product. So far, they seem to be the simplest method for maintaining my levels.

Not to worry you even more, but you may want to do additional research on the calcareous substance. I have never seen it on my leathers before. For mine, it's been a thin film of mucus that could be easily blown off with a baster. It may still be normal, but I just want to make sure I'm giving you the right advice.

Enough Flow?

I've been wondering if I've got the right amount of low or if it's too much for the Pom Pom Xenia.

Here is a video of the tank and Xenia.

My Tank Video

Stats:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

Edited by klarion
PurpleUp worked great to speed up coralline growth in my BC14, but quite honestly I haven't used it for some time now. For a short while I used it for maintaining calcium levels, that and a number of other products including Kent's Kalwasser and Turbo Calcium. Today I use the liquid version of SeaChem's Reef Complete for maintaining Calcium, Strontium, and Magnesium, along with SeaChem's liquid Alkalinity product. So far, they seem to be the simplest method for maintaining my levels.

Not to worry you even more, but you may want to do additional research on the calcareous substance. I have never seen it on my leathers before. For mine, it's been a thin film of mucus that could be easily blown off with a baster. It may still be normal, but I just want to make sure I'm giving you the right advice.

I tried the turkey baster on the Leather coral, but the film is too think to blow off. I've witnessed something like this before and the coral pulled through in a couple of weeks, so I'm not worried about it. It looks sturdy and there is no necrosis anywhere on it. I also did some research and it seems that time is the most important factor in this process. We'll see.

Edited by klarion
IMO your pulsing Xenia is in too much flow. It is not getting a chance to pulse because it is just blowing around in the current.

Thanks spanko,

This Pom-Pom Xenia is not pulsing per-se like the Pulsing Xenias I've seen. It's coiling it's long feathered polyps into a ball and than reopens periodically. I'll try to post some pics of that.

Also, I'll refrain from moving it just now and work on the flow through adjusting power heads.

B

Just got a small colony of some sort of Zoas form LFS for 10 bucks. They're turquoise colored. So cheap because the rock they were on had an Aptasia on it. Some will think I'm crazy for doing that. I got home and broke up the rock (actually an sps skeleton) and got rid of the anemones. I also scrubbed the remaining pieces with a tooth brush.

In addition, there are now 3 more snails. I think they are cerith snails. There was no marking at the LFS.

Just got a small colony of some sort of Zoas form LFS for 10 bucks. They're turquoise colored. So cheap because the rock they were on had an Aptasia on it. Some will think I'm crazy for doing that. I got home and broke up the rock (actually an sps skeleton) and got rid of the anemones. I also scrubbed the remaining pieces with a tooth brush.

In addition, there are now 3 more snails. I think they are cerith snails. There was no marking at the LFS.

Aiptasia are my ultimate nemesis. It's been nearly impossible for me to rid my tank of them until recently. The only way I was able to do it was pull out the base rock or coral they were attached to and transfer it to my other tank - which is now an aiptasia farm. I tried peppermint shrimp, but my cleaner shrimp hunted all four of them down and ate em before they could eat any aiptasia. lol. I don't think you're crazy for buying em though. As long as you keep on top of them, they won't multiply like wildflowers (which they did on me btw in my BC14). Just make sure you kill them on site. In my other tank, I would see 3 tiny aiptasia one day then 9 the next! Sounds like you got rid of them before you added them to your tank anyway. LET ME SEE YOUR NEW ZOAS.

Hi Boris!

As a side note,

Here is what I call Cat TV:

CAtTV_Web.jpg

^^BTW, I loved that. :D Bet it doesn't keep her out of mischief, tho!

New Critters ;) ?

Here is a picture of the Pom-Pom Xenia. It's now extending fully every day and seems much more happy than at PetCo where it was only partially Extended.

PomPomXenia_Web.jpg

That is a gorgeous Xenia--what a nice color! Doesn't look at all like my "pom pom Xenia"--sure it's not some sort of Anthelia? :)

I agree, from your vid it appears to be in too much flow, IMO. Loved the vid, tho...your clown is sure interested in that Xenia!

I agree with you about just being patient with the leather, though that crust is a little strange looking...nothing else you can do, anyway! And they're notoriously moody.

Loved the scarlet hermit series of pics--they are SO photogenic.

I've only had Aiptasia in a quarantine tank so far (knock on wood) and that was enough to scare me for life. They seem to be able to regrow from invisible specks of tissue and multiply like the brooms in the Sorceror's Apprentice...Good luck!

--Diane

Aiptasia are my ultimate nemesis. It's been nearly impossible for me to rid my tank of them until recently. The only way I was able to do it was pull out the base rock or coral they were attached to and transfer it to my other tank - which is now an aiptasia farm. I tried peppermint shrimp, but my cleaner shrimp hunted all four of them down and ate em before they could eat any aiptasia. lol. I don't think you're crazy for buying em though. As long as you keep on top of them, they won't multiply like wildflowers (which they did on me btw in my BC14). Just make sure you kill them on site. In my other tank, I would see 3 tiny aiptasia one day then 9 the next! Sounds like you got rid of them before you added them to your tank anyway. LET ME SEE YOUR NEW ZOAS.

I went for the rock where they were attached and broke off those pieces. Even made sure the Aptasia were on them or parts of them anywhay (because I used pliers). Here are some really early pix of the zoas. Don't have time for better ones right now. Saturday is a working day for me :huh:

Zoasjustboughtcopy.jpg

NewCoralscopy.jpg

This little dude jumped his shell while in transit to a new tank. How brave of him........

NewAdditioncopy.jpg

If anyone knows what they're called let me know. My LFS is notorious for mislabeling stuff or not labeling it at all. Are Cerith snails known for burrying themselves? Perhaps I got some Nassarius instead..........

Hi Boris!^^BTW, I loved that. :D Bet it doesn't keep her out of mischief, tho!That is a gorgeous Xenia--what a nice color! Doesn't look at all like my "pom pom Xenia"--sure it's not some sort of Anthelia? :) I agree, from your vid it appears to be in too much flow, IMO. Loved the vid, tho...your clown is sure interested in that Xenia!I agree with you about just being patient with the leather, though that crust is a little strange looking...nothing else you can do, anyway! And they're notoriously moody.Loved the scarlet hermit series of pics--they are SO photogenic. I've only had Aiptasia in a quarantine tank so far (knock on wood) and that was enough to scare me for life. They seem to be able to regrow from invisible specks of tissue and multiply like the brooms in the Sorceror's Apprentice...Good luck!--Diane

Well, the story with the clown is--he loves that Xenia a little too much. Saw him nipping at the trunk a bit and trying to get used to it. Last night I snapped this by the Moon lights (used a little flash):

ClownHostingcopy.jpg

You probably know what it is better than my LFS. They keep mislabeling things.

This picture shows some polyps retracting and coiling at the bottom left.

XeniaPulsingcopy.jpg

I moved the powerheads to get less flow over the Xenia. Hope it helps. After a little more research: this is a Xenia sp. according to what I read because all the polyps extend from a main trunk/body as opposed to Anthelia sp. where polyps grow directly from the substrate. The LFS said it was a Pom-Pom Xenia, but I welcome a more difinitive identification.

XeniaFeedingcopy.jpg

PS: Princess (my cat) is a real trouble maker. I just have to watch carefully when she's in the room with the tanks.

Edited by klarion
Ceriths do bury themselves. Great sand stirrers. Long pointy shells no long "snout".

Yes, Yes and Yes. Thank You :) . I'll post pix later today.

B

Edit:

Cerith Snail. I got three of them now.

Cerith212copy.jpg

Edited by klarion
Yes, Yes and Yes. Thank You :) . I'll post pix later today.

B

cant wait for pics :). i no this is off topic, but how do you like your Chocolate (Clarkii) Clown. i have been thinking about getting one for my tank.

cant wait for pics :) . i no this is off topic, but how do you like your Chocolate (Clarkii) Clown. i have been thinking about getting one for my tank.

I absolutely love the Chocolate (Clarkii) Clown. I find them to be full of charachter and in many ways that's a matter of personal choice. I've never had any other clowns, so I'm not sure how to compare them to other clown fish.

Cown110copy.jpg

clownandXenia209copy.jpg

Groupshot02copy.jpg

I absolutely love the Chocolate (Clarkii) Clown. I find them to be full of charachter and in many ways that's a matter of personal choice. I've never had any other clowns, so I'm not sure how to compare them to other clown fish.

Cown110copy.jpg

clownandXenia209copy.jpg

Groupshot02copy.jpg

looks great :D. o yes, is there any change in ur leathers health/apperence(sp)?

looks great :D . o yes, is there any change in ur leathers health/apperence(sp)?

The Leather is unchanged as of yet. There is no degradation in its condition but no change for the better either.

ttsJan050717copy.jpg

Here are some FTS updates.

FtsJan0507Main23copy.jpg

And an angle shot:

STScopy21copy.jpg

More coming soon.

b

Edited by klarion

Love all the new pics, esp. the clown/Xenia series. What sharp fish pics!

Fts's are looking nice & colorful as well.

I'm lousy at coral ID. Yours just looks more like what I've seen called Anthelia than what I think of as Xenia. But if you ever want to lose all your confidence, read the Sprung & Delbeek books about how truly difficult coral taxonomy is. :D Maybe you should post this in ID and see what opinions you get. Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

Think I'll post a vid in my thread of my Xenia pulsing when I find one (somewhere in the archives!)--I know you know what they look like--it's just a good excuse! :lol:

Ceriths are very cool, and that's an especially pretty kind you have. BTW, my all-time favorite workhorse of a snail is Trochus--if you find some, I highly recommend them.

--Diane

I've got a cool youngling in the tank. It's another Xenia/anthelia sp. that's growing in the shadow of the larger one. I'm not sure what any of them are, but the small one has grown considerably.

newXenia22copy.jpg