Cultivated Reef

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

That sounds like torture. :D Interesting about combining the putty and the gel...someone else has suggested that too. It never would have occurred to me...

I think I read it either on H2O's thread or steelhlrs, not sure.....

Nice pic, and much more solid-looking than I would have thought. Thanks for differentiating Tonga & Fiji...I hope I'll be able to remember that till I set up another tank sometime.

I was curious myself. It doesn't seem like there were any places for hitch hikers to hide on the tonga unless they were tiny or in larvae form.

:lol::o:D That is one fantastic picture! (...and cat, of course.) You should enter that in some contest. My inquisitive cat has been "assisting" with the present wrapping...

Any suggestions :D

RE today's pics--looking nice and clear and full of potential! I can see you've lost quite a bit of color--hope most of it comes back...Funny how this stage really is over so quickly and yet seems interminable at the time! :)

I hear you on this. Unfortunately I lost almost all of my orange coraline. It's not as tough as the purple variety it seems. Some spots are still hloding on but mostly out of the light, on the underside of rocks.

orangecoraline-1.jpg

The Purple coraline are doing fine and there is a big chunk of it on the underside of some other rock.

Pinkcoraline.jpg

I've been running my lights on a reduced photo-period and changing water frequently.

I hope to be able to cycle soon because the nitrates are starting to spike and nitrites are tending lower. If everything goes as planned, I'll be getting CUC next weekend (this coming Sat.)

Some more stuff

Coraline1withnotescopy.jpg

Edited by klarion

The red thing in your above post looking for an ID on, is most likely Foraminiferans. Harmless and very common on live rock. I hear you on the orange coralline. Evrytime that I have seen in on my rock, it disappears shortly after. Not sure why....... Merry Christmas to you to! :D

Christmas Stats (I was looking for a present -_- )

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 1ppm

Nitrate 10-15ppm

Phosphate 0

Ph 8.3

dKH 11

CA 280ppm

Eventually, I intend to publish a summery of the cycle with all the levels day to day and the water changes. So far, it looks like the cycle is proceeding naturally. Big water change coming tomorrow.

Any thoughts on how toxic 1ppm Nitrite is, in relation to keeping Live Rock critters alive? I'm also looking for suggestions on what suplement (other than Kalkwasser) to use to bring up CA. Some one suggested Purple-UP.

Edited by klarion
The red thing in your above post looking for an ID on, is most likely Foraminiferans. Harmless and very common on live rock. I hear you on the orange coralline. Evrytime that I have seen in on my rock, it disappears shortly after. Not sure why....... Merry Christmas to you to! :D

My guess so far is that it doesn't like intense light and drastic water conditions and fluctuations.

It looks less calcareous than the purple variety and the color of it suggests that it inhabits lower depths (red and orange colors). -_-

With frequent WC your calcium should be very stable, unless the salt mix is variable. In which case I would consider changing salt brands.

The CA level has been stable (but at a lower point) at 260-280ppm and I've done a lot of water changes so far. I also started using Osmo-Prep Marine that raises the buffering level of R/O water, and would like to stay with the current salt mix while dosing some CA. I'm curious what people are using. I chose the Crystal Sea Marine Mix Bioassay Formula because of an article I read (thanks to steelhealr) on Salt Mix Toxicity

Edited by klarion
What test kit are you using, it seems really low for that salt? Your loosing of the orange coralline maybe do to lack of calcium.

I'm using an API liquid test kit. Also, I just got the live rock 5 days ago and it's in the process of curing in a new tank. I read that particular salt was tested to mix at 410ppm Calcium.

Early in the morning I made a reconnaissance run at the local PetCo to see what I might want to put in my tanks in the future. I was really shocked to see how they kept those poor creatures. There was a dead trigger fish in one 10G display tank and their invert tanks were a dumping ground for all different types of shrimp, fish, stars, anemones and crabs. Many of which, I don't think should even be kept in such proximity to each other.

I felt sad, but since my tank is at the end of it's cycle I thought I could do no harm by saving some of them so I got some CUC members and a shrimp ahead of schedule. They're doing fine now.

There is a Banded Coral Shrimp who staked out a huge territory in the other tank.

BandedShrimpandAstrea.jpg

Also 3 Astrea snails, who took off onto the rocks.

AstreaSnail.jpg

And lastly, I got a Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab. Someone mentioned that they're lazy cleaners and true to form, this guy did absolutely nothing all day except right himself when I put him in the tank

RedHermit.jpg

I wish them all the best and my params are within tolerance levels, plus, another big water change is coming soon......

Gosh, now I'm worried about my new CUC and shrimp. :scarry: I tested the water tonight and made a 25% water change. Nitrites are slightly less than 1ppm but still detectible and Nitrates are 20ppm. I wasn't expecting that at all, since I thought the cycle was on a downward swing already.

I'll be doing another 10% change tonight to give these critters some breathing room..

Edit:

Made another 15% water change and ran numbers:

Ammonia is 0

Nitrites 0.50-0.75

Nitrates 15ppm

I don't understand, why if Ammonia has been 0 for the past 2-3 days that I'm getting presistant nitrite buildup (It's only staying at 1ppm or so because I'm changing water all the time)?

Edited by klarion

Boris, what great pics! That shrimp is gorgeous. I've never had any kind of shrimp before, not for lack of coveting though...I love the macro of the Astraea, eye stalks, mouth and all. (Scarlets, of course, are just naturally photogenic!) It must be exciting to have these creatures in there, moving around.

I don't remember much beyond "no NH3, no trites." I think you'll be ok with your vigilance and your H2O changes, though. Best to keep an eye on your CUC's behavior--if they look stressed, then they probably are, but if they seem to be behaving normally, you're probably in good shape. (And yes, "normal" for a scarlet can be just sitting there, esp. at certain times of the molt cycle. :D You might also want to check for activity after lights out.)

Good luck!

--Diane

PS: At this time I still haven't rec'd any email notification about your last two posts! Good thing you mentioned it to me somewhere else!

Diane,

The CUC are doing fine. The shrimp settled in the back of the 'scape and occasionally makes a round of the 'scape, like a night guard. He's feeding and so is the Scarlet Hermit! I saw him picking on rocks earlier. Two of the Astreas are now feeding on the rocks. I'm still worried about the third Astrea snail. He couldn't get settled from the start. Kept going up a long piece of substrate... that went nowhere. Than, he spent some time sitting on the glass and feeding occasionally, but he doesn't look as busy as the other two snails.

Thanks for words of encouragement. I read that below 1ppm nitrites is tolerable but not best, of course. And that was the excuse I gave myself. Though I still think it's better than the tank of death at PetCo.

PS. I can never get the posts right the first time around.........always find some mistake or misspelling :rolleyes: . Anywhooo, maybe your notifications are set on "delayed notifications". That will do it.....;)

Edited by klarion
Diane,

The CUC are doing fine. The shrimp settled in the back of the 'scape and occasionally makes a round of the 'scape, like a night guard. He's feeding and so is the Scarlet Hermit! I saw him picking on rocks earlier. Two of the Astreas are now feeding on the rocks. I'm still worried about the third Astrea snail. He couldn't get settled from the start. Kept going up a long piece of substrate... that went nowhere. Than, he spent some time sitting on the glass and feeding occasionally, but he doesn't look as busy as the other two snails.

Well, there you go. Nothing to worry about! :) And if you end up with a case in which two of three snails survive, I'm sure you're savvy enough to know to not feel responsible for the demise of the third...IME, these individuals were probably already doomed before we even purchased them...not that one ever wants to lose an animal, of course, but sometimes it's just due to stresses that occurred long before you had anything to do with it! (Plus, your 3rd Astraea could yet pull through...)

Thanks for words of encouragement. I read that below 1ppm nitrites is tolerable but not best, of course. And that was the excuse I gave myself. Though I still think it's better than the tank of death at PetCo.

I remember reading the same thing. I'm sure you'll be fine, and I agree with your rationale. Many a time I've witnessed hopeless situations at chain stores.

PS. I can never get the posts right the first time around.........always find some mistake or misspelling :rolleyes: . Anywhooo, maybe your notifications are set on "delayed notifications". That will do it.....;)

You and me both! Thank god for the edit feature. Yes, I do ask for delayed notifications, but I thought that meant "when you haven't been active on N-R" and I really hadn't been, most of today...I used to be on "immediate notification," but got inundated by emails. Maybe I'll just change my status on certain threads like yours! ;)

--Diane

Picture Update

So far-so good. I might even venture to say that the slow Astrea may come around.

Here are some pictures:

Crimson Browsing:

RedLegs.jpg

It's a good day to hide:

Itsagooddaytohide-1.jpg

Ad astra per aspera: an invert ascent.

HigherandHigher.jpg

Astrea on the GO

AstreaontheGoforWeb.jpg

I Salute you Sir: Boris finally gets some Respect.

Isaluteyou.jpg

Edited by klarion

A Noticeable Reversal

:)

Up until today, my live rock was going through a period of die-back and looked quite bare and dying. It's been about a week since I put it in with daily water changes except for Christmas Day. Just as I was looking over my tank after another 30% water change (nitrites 0.75, nitrates 10ppm), I noticed unmistakable signs of rejuvenation. There are patches of what will probably develop into a diatom bloom, the orange Coraline is holding in a couple of spots and I noticed tiny patches of Macro Algae growth. Upon closer examination, I discovered another 3 patches in the back of the tank of what I think are also macro algae. I'm counting 3 different kinds so far. There is GHA growth and also Red filamentous algae in some places.

Here a pics. I'm not sure about them and I'll post in Ident forums as well, but if you happen to know, Please ID:

1:I have no Idea what this is.

Algae4.jpg

2)

Algae3.jpg

3) These are truly tiny right now: Coulerpa??

Algae2.jpg

4) And so are these: Halimeda?

Algae1.jpg

I'm very happy today. It's a true turn around for my tank. :D

Edited by klarion

Wow, what super pics!!

Regarding your last set first, I have no idea on the first one (1 & 2 are the same entity, right?). Is it fixed or does it move, because it almost looks like a nudi to me!

Your guess for the 3rd is as good as mine. It will probably have to grow a little more before we can be sure...

I'm afraid the 4th is probably bubble algae. There are many spp of these, and some are considered very invasive and thus highly undesirable. I have some species that cause no problems, however...

Here's an article on bubble algae:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/...ature/index.php

I had already seen what looked like burgeoning spots of color in your first set of pics before you mentioned that you have indeed seen a reversal in the corallines, etc. Congrats! The detail on those pics is wonderful, especially some of the appendages on that cbs!

And those Astraea do look pretty cool cantilevered on those tonga branches. :D

Nice work!

--Diane

Wow, what super pics!!

Regarding your last set first, I have no idea on the first one (1 & 2 are the same entity, right?). Is it fixed or does it move, because it almost looks like a nudi to me!

--Diane

It's definitely fixed. Looks like a little bush.

I just noticed that my hermit crab has one claw! I checked the pix from yesterday and two days ago and it looks like that's how I got him. I bet he lost it in the the PetCo tank o'death. The third Astrea snail is much better. It's moving and grazing. I'm taking that as a good sign :) .

B

Edited by klarion

Update

My Banded Coral Shrimp has molted! Just several days after being added to the tank. I guess it's not so bad in there. Or, was it just time? He's mostly hanging out in the back of the tank now.

The tank is coming to life and there are tiny growths everywhere. A diatom bloom is in progress. I was told to expect that. Also some siano and dinoflagellates. There are various patches of algae growing on the rock including some undesirables, perhaps. All three astrea snails are hard at work. I manually put one on an especially thick patch of young macro shoots and GHA. It did a good job, I think-ate some of the very young macro (caulerpa) shoots.

I'm planning to expand my CUC tomorrow and maybe add a small fish. Not sure yet. It depends. Family are all pushing for "Nemo"........ You know how it is. I like clowns, but of the clarkii variety. Not sure. Also I love the six line. Decisions, decisions...........

More Critters

I made a trip to the LFS and got a really cute chocolate (clarkii) clown,

ClownSwimming_Web.jpg

Also got two Margarita Snails

MargaritaSnail.jpg

The clown is great! It took him 30 minutes to explore the reef and now he's happily swimming about with lots of personality. Eventually, I plan to find him (?) a mate and try to host him in an anthelia or a Xenia. I like the Martarita snails. They're a lot faster than the Astreas and I might get one or two more depending on how well they actually clean the rockwork.

Here's a current FTS and some pictures of the Critters:

FTSD3007_Web.jpg

Clown2_Web.jpg

As a side note,

Here is what I call Cat TV:

CAtTV_Web.jpg

Got two corals today: a Pom Pom Xenia and a Mushroom leather. I got them at PetCo and the Leather had nine or ten Polyps of Rhodactis sp. mushrooms. Those look kind of plain, but I didn't get charged for them. Xenia also has a very small hitch hiker (another xenia or anthelia). The tank at PetCo had many sp. of Xenia and Anthelia and they were spreading rampantly all over the tank. It's too soon to say what it is because it's so small. Xenia is now fully open; the leather-about half way there.

I also read something disturbing today, that Margarita snails are actually temperate snails and can not survive in temperatures higher than 78F. Why would my LFS sell them as tropical, I don't know, but I wish I had this information before. For now, my tank hovers around 77F, but I was going to install another heater in the "sump" to bring the temperature up. Now I feel like I will be killing those great Margarita snails that I like so much :huh: . I'm not sure what to do.

Any one got some advice?

My params are getting better. Nitrates are almost gone at 5ppm and Nitrites are 0.25--a 50% drop since yesterday without a water change. I think they'll be completely gone in a day or two. I got my critters on an early side, wanting to make sure that there is enough bacterium to support new ammonia buildup without a significant die-back in between.

Oh, and did I mention that my Scarlet Reef Hermit crab molted as well :rolleyes:

Edited by klarion

Well if you increase the temp slowly (1 degree every other day) then i think the snail(s) will adjust to it or just keep it at 76 (so it can increase to 77 durning the day and decrease back) but i keep my tank at 75-76 degrees (i know i'm crazy but i like it and my livestock does too).

Got two corals today: a Pom Pom Xenia and a Mushroom leather. I got them at PetCo and the Leather had nine or ten Polyps of Rhodactis sp. mushrooms. Those look kind of plain, but I didn't get charged for them. Xenia also has a very small hitch hiker (another xenia or anthelia). The tank at PetCo had many sp. of Xenia and Anthelia and they were spreading rampantly all over the tank. It's too soon to say what it is because it's so small. Xenia is now fully open; the leather-about half way there.

I also read something disturbing today, that Margarita snails are actually temperate snails and can not survive in temperatures higher than 78F. Why would my LFS sell them as tropical, I don't know, but I wish I had this information before. For now, my tank hovers around 77F, but I was going to install another heater in the "sump" to bring the temperature up. Now I feel like I will be killing those great Margarita snails that I like so much :huh: . I'm not sure what to do.

Any one got some advice?

My params are getting better. Nitrates are almost gone at 5ppm and Nitrites are 0.25--a 50% drop since yesterday without a water change. I think they'll be completely gone in a day or two. I got my critters on an early side, wanting to make sure that there is enough bacterium to support new ammonia buildup without a significant die-back in between.

Oh, and did I mention that my Scarlet Reef Hermit crab molted as well :rolleyes:

I dont suppose u have any pics of your new additions :happy:

EDIT:Many LFS sell them as tropical for #$%$ up reasons, my advice is to return them, they simply cannot survive in a reef.(without alot of work that is)

Edited by Krayon
Well if you increase the temp slowly (1 degree every other day) then i think the snail(s) will adjust to it or just keep it at 76 (so it can increase to 77 durning the day and decrease back) but i keep my tank at 75-76 degrees (i know i'm crazy but i like it and my livestock does too).

What about your Corals? How are they liking the lower temp?

I am trying to solve the temperature stability problem because our place gets much colder during the night and the swings are too much, about 2 degrees sometimes. I installed an additional heater in the 'sump' and plan to run both of them on a temperature differential of 76-78F. Do you think there may be a problem with overheating?

I dont suppose u have any pics of your new additions :happy:

EDIT:Many LFS sell them as tropical for #$%$ up reasons, my advice is to return them, they simply cannot survive in a reef.(without alot of work that is)

I was just about to post an FTS. It's a quick snap, but you can see both of the corals, clarkii and if you look closely on the right, you may spy the Banded Coral Shrimp peeking out. There are some bubbles in the shot because I just did a W/C. The Xenia is loving it and is fully extended. The Mushroom Leather is not happy :mellow: . I remember having one before and they are very hardy...... But, my previous tank didn't have as much flow. Do leathers like more or less flow?

I'll try to post more detailed photos when I have more time. We're getting ready for the New Years Celebration. Happy New Year to You and everyone!

I'm seriously considering returning the snails. Thanks so much for your opinion.

FTS:

FTS12-31-07.jpg