ReefCleaners.org

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

SORRY

Oh my my, :o:o I just fixed a horrible spelling mistake. If you didn't see it, I won't repeat it. If you did see it, I'm really sorry-it wasn't intentional :bowdown::angry:

Something hatched in the tank. I see the fish going crazy and swimming in short angular strokes, eating something that is really hard to see.

It's either the snail eggs or the pom-pom crab hatchlings.

I wonder if any of them will survive the feast..........

Retro Edit: Some Photos of the Sixline going after snail eggs.

Sixlineandtheeggs.jpg

Great tank, man I can't wait until my cycle is done. That sixline is a beautiful fish, how do you like him? Also, cant wait for the GSP to open up, thats on my 'wanted' list down the road. Thanks for the great pics.

Needreefunds
SORRY

Oh my my, :o:o I just fixed a horrible spelling mistake. If you didn't see it, I won't repeat it. If you did see it, I'm really sorry-it wasn't intentional :bowdown::angry:

Oh, c'mon now B, don't leave us hanging like that. ( pssst, you can tell me, what was the spelling mistake?? )

:happy:

Nice looking new additions.

I agree with divecj5 on the gsp. I had a frag that took almost a week to settle in.

The baby hitcher does have a torch -like look to it. It should be fun to see what what it turns out to be.

Good luck with your new frags.

Edited by Needreefunds
Oh, c'mon now B, don't leaved us hanging like that. ( pssst, you can tell me, what was the spelling mistake?? )

:happy:

Nice looking new additions.

I agree with divecj5 on the gsp. I had a frag that took almost a week to settle in.

The baby hitcher does have a torch -like look to it. It should be fun to see what what it turns out to be.

Good luck with your new frags.

Well, I didn't want to repeat it. But, if you're curious, read this post.

In the first sentence I left out the letter 'r' in the word fragging. So, I thought I would appologize because I would never write something like this on purpose and I didn't want to offend anyone.

That aside, it is kind of funny if you read on.........

Needreefunds
Well, I didn't want to repeat it. But, if you're curious, read this post.

In the first sentence I left out the letter 'r' in the word fragging. So, I thought I would appologize because I would never write something like this on purpose and I didn't want to offend anyone.

That aside, it is kind of funny if you read on.........

:D Ah, no biggie, this IS Nano-Reef after all....... :lol:

BTW, how has your Rapids Pro been for you? I do think its a pretty good set up for the money. If that skimmer was just a bit less fickle and a bit more efficient it would be great. But again, overall it is a good value.

Great tank, man I can't wait until my cycle is done. That sixline is a beautiful fish, how do you like him? Also, cant wait for the GSP to open up, thats on my 'wanted' list down the road. Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks. Saw your thread. Looks like you've got all your bases covered. And, a great idea to photograph those tests!!! Will you be one of those nano-reefers to note every tiny piece of life in your tank? I hope so, and you're a camera enthusiast to boot.

My GSP fully opened on the third day. Here it is:

GSPopen.jpg

It looks like the polyps are not yet fully extended, but this one looks different than some of the other species I've seen in people's threads. The polyps don't have such long tentacles.

I also split the colony in four. One big one above and three small ones. Here is another pic.

GSPFrag2.jpg

It has a single zoa polyp on it.

FTS view from my desk.

Frommydeskweb.jpg

-cfest,

The Six Line is doing great and he's my favorite, always being busy looking for food like worms and pods (though I don't have any pods yet)- a curious fish. He swims in all water strata and through the caves. Also very peaceful and gets along really well with the Clarkii clown. Once, I saw him tear up a bristle worm.

Highly recommended fish and colorful too.

Hey Boris. That GSP is looking great and I love all of the hitchhikers that you got in on the corals as well. Definitely scored some extras there. Look forward to seeing how that possible baby torch corals turns out. It's always fun to try and see if you can raise something from that early of a stage.

Full tank shot looks great....everything is coming together nicely and I always forgot how tall your tank is until I see the full shot. Very unique.

Thanks. Saw your thread. Looks like you've got all your bases covered. And, a great idea to photograph those tests!!! Will you be one of those nano-reefers to note every tiny piece of life in your tank? I hope so, and you're a camera enthusiast to boot.

My GSP fully opened on the third day. Here it is:

GSPopen.jpg

It looks like the polyps are not yet fully extended, but this one looks different than some of the other species I've seen in people's threads. The polyps don't have such long tentacles.

I also split the colony in four. One big one above and three small ones. Here is another pic.

GSPFrag2.jpg

[/b][/color][/size]

Yea, I figured it would be a good way to see the progression and save the dates for myself in a journal. I plan on keeping it up to date fairly often with whatever I am doing, we'll see, so far so good and the excitement is just beginning after I spotted a ton of pods last night! woo hoo

I love the GSP, it looks great. Is fragging it into multiple pieces difficult? That seems like a great way to make the most of the corals you get and then swap them out for others. Nice photos too.

-cfest,

The Six Line is doing great and he's my favorite, always being busy looking for food like worms and pods (though I don't have any pods yet)- a curious fish. He swims in all water strata and through the caves. Also very peaceful and gets along really well with the Clarkii clown. Once, I saw him tear up a bristle worm.

Highly recommended fish and colorful too.

Yup the Sixline is definitely on my priority list. Aside from my favorites, I have to see what order would be best as far as introducing fish to my system once the cycle has been done a few weeks. I want to get a pearly jawfish, ocellaris clown and a sixline, so we'll see what happens and if I eliminate one. I have plenty of caves in my aquascape just for him, so it should be a great fit.

Yea, I figured it would be a good way to see the progression and save the dates for myself in a journal. I plan on keeping it up to date fairly often with whatever I am doing, we'll see, so far so good and the excitement is just beginning after I spotted a ton of pods last night! woo hoo

I love the GSP, it looks great. Is fragging it into multiple pieces difficult? That seems like a great way to make the most of the corals you get and then swap them out for others. Nice photos too.

-Cfeist,

Fragging this piece was very easy because when I bought it, there were pieces dangling off the main rock. So, I just removed them by pulling apart the part where they were attached. It was very thin. For the thicker tissue, I used a blade.

Great about the pods. I've never seen any sizable pods in my tank and I probably won't because of the Six Line wrasse. He feeds on those things and worms. So, if you get it, he'll eat all the pods for lunch.

It looks like I will only be getting pods if I set up a fuge.

Yup the Sixline is definitely on my priority list. Aside from my favorites, I have to see what order would be best as far as introducing fish to my system once the cycle has been done a few weeks. I want to get a pearly jawfish, ocellaris clown and a sixline, so we'll see what happens and if I eliminate one. I have plenty of caves in my aquascape just for him, so it should be a great fit.

Usually starting with the smaller, or more timid and less territorial fish is best. So, in this case I would go with the pearly Jaw fish, then the Wrasse and then the ocellaris. Though that depends on the size of the clown. if he's on the smaller side, then introducing it before the wrasse won't be a problem.

I put my clown (juvenile) into the tank first and then the Wrasse. They were about the same size at introduction, so nothing bad happened. The clown did some posturing and followed the six line wrasse around the tank. Even swam at it agressively a couple of times when sixline approached a favorite Xenia. Aside from that, it was a smooth transition for both.

Now they swim together and share food.

:D Ah, no biggie, this IS Nano-Reef after all....... :lol:

BTW, how has your Rapids Pro been for you? I do think its a pretty good set up for the money. If that skimmer was just a bit less fickle and a bit more efficient it would be great. But again, overall it is a good value.

Hey, thanks for calming me down B) .

The RapidsPro is going fine with more bubbles in the protein skimmer now. I get at least a constant puff of dry foam on the tip of the cup. I shortened the airline feeding the skimmer and lowered the air-blocker tube. It is definitely a great deal for the money and it's working just fine.

Hey Boris. That GSP is looking great and I love all of the hitchhikers that you got in on the corals as well. Definitely scored some extras there. Look forward to seeing how that possible baby torch corals turns out. It's always fun to try and see if you can raise something from that early of a stage.

Full tank shot looks great....everything is coming together nicely and I always forgot how tall your tank is until I see the full shot. Very unique.

Thanks Dive,

It's one advantage of choosing corals at a good LFS. You can choose the rocks that have the nice life on them. I also discovered that the Yellow polyp rock I got has a grown sponge growing on it and the Blue mushroom rock has some sort of encrusting growth that isn't algae. It's kind of freaky looking. It's grey and has what looks like a basic internal circulatory transport system (like veins or canals). I'll post some pictures in the ident forums soon.

The torch is doing well and opening fully every day. We'll see what happens.

One of the blue mushrooms looked like it was trying to move and detach itself when I got it. I'm curious what will happen next with it. All the corals I recently got are extending fully and the GSP is opening up nicely too.

Glad to hear that everything is doing great for you. Always is exciting to get your first corals and seeing them out, about, and healthy.

Keep up the great husbandry my friend.

Needreefunds
Thanks Dive,

It's one advantage of choosing corals at a good LFS. You can choose the rocks that have the nice life on them. I also discovered that the Yellow polyp rock I got has a grown sponge growing on it and the Blue mushroom rock has some sort of encrusting growth that isn't algae. It's kind of freaky looking. It's grey and has what looks like a basic internal circulatory transport system (like veins or canals). I'll post some pictures in the ident forums soon.

Just going by your description, reminded me of this klarion's grey coral hitchhiker??

Maybe?? :huh:

Just going by your description, reminded me of this klarion's grey coral hitchhiker??

Maybe?? :huh:

Here is a picture of it. I'll also post in Ident forums.

maybespongeID.jpg

Kind of gross, IMO but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Here is one more:

Mushroomtogo.jpg

That one has one of the blue mushrooms trying to split. I've since reattached it in a different place.

I get a little help.....

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but a couple of days ago I had my windows open late in the afternoon and here is what happened:

b2b5bcab.jpg

And This:

31274dd1.jpg

So, I'm actually getting about an hour of direct, late afternoon sunlight hitting the tank. It will go far to help out my fluorescent fixture. Maybe there is hope for that torch after all.....

Great Resource!

I was doing some searching on the net because I wanted to find out how my yellow polyps would do in a shaded spot because one of the pieces I glued a couple of days ago fell behind the reef when I was blowing off detritus. So, I stumbled upon this site called TalkingReef.com and it has many pod-casts covering a range of topics. I'm listening to one right now. It's about ways to watch your tank at night.

Here is the link to it:

WWW.Talkingreef.com

So, right now I'm typing on nano-reef, watching my tank and listening to a podcast about reef tanks. All I've got to do to complete this immersive experience is open a new browser window and watch a live web-cam cast of someone else's tank. ;)

Nice! Just an hour of sunlight shouldn't cause much algae growth, so it should be helpful, if not just pretty. :D

Glad you stopped by. I admire your photography like many others around here.

I actually did notice that a couple of days of direct sunlight caused film algae bloom on the glass. The benefits do outweigh the algae disadvantages.

Hey Boris. Glad you stumbled upon Talking Reef. I listened to a couple of their podcasts and also found ReefCast really good. The guys that do Reefcast are a little more humorous and funny in my opinion. I haven't listened in a long time. Sounds like you are definitely enjoying a day of all things reef :)

Like you, I get about a good hour worth of diffused natural light....definitely a good thing unless it gets too much (which yours obviously does not.)

Hey Boris. Glad you stumbled upon Talking Reef. I listened to a couple of their podcasts and also found ReefCast really good. The guys that do Reefcast are a little more humorous and funny in my opinion. I haven't listened in a long time. Sounds like you are definitely enjoying a day of all things reef :)

Like you, I get about a good hour worth of diffused natural light....definitely a good thing unless it gets too much (which yours obviously does not.)

Many thanks Dive,

I'm really enjoying all the podcasts. Also going to check out Reefcast as well. For others who are following, here is the link: ReefCast.com

God bless LFS! Saw a small frag of what looks most like yellow center (just making that up as I go) zoas that was being stung by an unfortunate occurrence of majano anemone (not on the actual rock). So, I asked them what the price was (it wasn't marked) for the small frag and got it for $10.

Updates:

-small frag of yellow polyps (Parazoanthus gracilis) got unglued and fell behind the reef. It's not totally in the shade and i can't easily get it out, so it stays there for now.

-One polyp of blue mushroom unstuck its self and tried to move. I glued it to a rock, but it wouldn't commit all the way, so I moved it into a crevice on the bottom of the tank. It's attaching now.

-Six Line wrasse went crazy when I was cleaning the tank and started biting the snails. They're doing fine though.

-New rock of Zoas also came with a small white star and bristle worms hitchers.

Pictures later,

Best to all.

b

I have been listening to ReefCast for awhile. Melev, the guy from RC that runs it, is freakin hilarious. I love that podcast! I will have to check out 'talking reef'.

Great photos as usual Klarion! Its hard to believe how your tank has grown in this short amount of time. Looking really good.