ReefCleaners.org

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

Awesome new additions and happy belated birthday!!! Looks like you made out nicely for your birthday with some incredible little creatures. Those pom pom crabs are awesome....gotta love how unique they are. How have they been getting along so far with the emerald? No issues? That's funny that they wave their anemones at the six line when it gets too close. Sounds like quite a site to see.

That urchin is awesome as well. Love the blue coloration.

Great choices for the tank. Looking forward to pictures of the serpent sea star.

Thank you,

I would love to snap some pics of the star but he's hiding in the back of the tank and I can't get a clear shot of it. I'll keep trying. It looks like there's going to be enough food for the Urchin. He's not feeding all the time and rests quite a bit.

Here are more photo updates.

The Heavy Hitters: Emerald and Urchin double team Caulerpa Mexicana

theheavyhitters.jpg

Urchin's Work

cleaned.jpg

Six Line Inspecting what's left of algae

cleaned2.jpg

Pregnant Already? I'm not sure, but that red belly was not there before. Looks like eggs to me.....

pregnant.jpg

FTSx3

HorizontalFTS.jpg

fts2.jpg

FTS-3.jpg

What wonderful creatures!

They look so "delicate," but IMO they are tough as nails. Nothing (at least nothing that would fit in my tank) bothers them. Makes you wonder why they can be so reclusive.

Hope you get a pic of it, even if it's only of one or two legs sticking out. (BTW, my brittles are far more active at night.)

I've always wanted an urchin, but my tank is really too small (and full, of course... <_< ). I'll be keeping tabs on your experiences with this guy, in case I ever "upgrade."

I have heard they're ravenous. And I'd have mixed feelings about losing coralline...

--Diane

Diane,

Still no luck on the star. It's just hiding all the time, but I had better luck with pom-poms. They're a lot of fun to watch. The one confirmed female has a sack of eggs now (that's how she got confirmed). The other one I wasn't sure about, so I psted it in the pom-pom official thread.

The Urchin is doing well and going all over the tank. He eats quite a bit and he poops A LOT :P .

Here are some pics of the pom poms:

Female

witheggsack.jpg

Unidentified sex:

boyorgirl.jpg

Another Shot of same. This one is the smaller of the two.

waving.jpg

Posing by the Red Macro that grew out quite a bit:

withalgae.jpg

Just to add quickly. As I was watching the two pom poms sitting about 5 inches away from each other, the egg laden female lounged at the other crab with incredible speed (rivaling that of the six line wrasse). There was some serious territorial aggression..... the smaller crab barely got away.

Also, It looks like each of them lost one anemone. However, I see now that the smaller crab has a tiny frag in one of his claws (the one that's empty in the last pic of the previous post). And the female also has now two mangled anemones instead of two full ones. I'm guessing that they fragged the one remaining anemone. Or, were they hungry and just ate some of them. Did anybody ever consider that possibility????

Wow the pom pom's must be a blast to watch I think Ill have to get one eventually after seeing your pics. The tank is really growing in nicely as well.

Wow the pom pom's must be a blast to watch I think Ill have to get one eventually after seeing your pics. The tank is really growing in nicely as well.

At first I thought that they're fragile, timid creatures, but after seeing the above, I'm changing my mind. I think 'boxing crab' is a more appropriate common name. It implies power instead of cheer leaders........at least that's what "pom-pom" reminds me of.

Boris,

Great pics, and I'm so glad you're seeing so much of the pom poms! (You are right, "boxing" much better describes their demeanor.)

So cool that you're seeing the egg mass already. Funny that you didn't see it before because it looks like they're about ready to hatch to me. Maybe females can close-up their abdomens more completely when handled, as when you bought & transported her?

With any luck at all you'll catch sight of the zoeae before they disappear. (I didn't.)

Also very cool that you got a pic of the ventral surface ("apron") of your unsexed crab. It looks significantly different from that of my adult female, but I'm not sure if it's a male or an immature female. Here's a general description I found:

"apron

Abdomen of a crab, which is folded under the body; male's is shaped like the Washington Monument or an inverted Y. An immature female's is triangular (pyramid shaped) and mature female's is semicircular, like the dome of the capitol building."

(from: www.vims.edu/adv/ed/crab/guts3.html )

Here's a pic of my female:

dscn3891sh2irf680dv9.jpg

And of course, there's one illustration of male/female diffs at the top of this page:

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchcrabs.html

But not all species look just like that...

What do you think? Pom poms are Xanthids, BTW.

I have never heard any speculation about them eating their own nems, but that doesn't prove anything. So yours both had two nems when you got them? Interesting observations so far!

Sweet red macro in that last pic, and I loved the first set of pics, too. Your fts's just get better & better looking. Looks like the purple coralline on your LR is showing up more, eh?

--Diane

Boris,

Great pics, and I'm so glad you're seeing so much of the pom poms! (You are right, "boxing" much better describes their demeanor.)

So cool that you're seeing the egg mass already. Funny that you didn't see it before because it looks like they're about ready to hatch to me. Maybe females can close-up their abdomens more completely when handled, as when you bought & transported her?

With any luck at all you'll catch sight of the zoeae before they disappear. (I didn't.)

Also very cool that you got a pic of the ventral surface ("apron") of your unsexed crab. It looks significantly different from that of my adult female, but I'm not sure if it's a male or an immature female. Here's a general description I found:

"apron

Abdomen of a crab, which is folded under the body; male's is shaped like the Washington Monument or an inverted Y. An immature female's is triangular (pyramid shaped) and mature female's is semicircular, like the dome of the capitol building."

(from: www.vims.edu/adv/ed/crab/guts3.html )

Here's a pic of my female:

dscn3891sh2irf680dv9.jpg

And of course, there's one illustration of male/female diffs at the top of this page:

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchcrabs.html

But not all species look just like that...

What do you think? Pom poms are Xanthids, BTW.

I have never heard any speculation about them eating their own nems, but that doesn't prove anything. So yours both had two nems when you got them? Interesting observations so far!

Sweet red macro in that last pic, and I loved the first set of pics, too. Your fts's just get better & better looking. Looks like the purple coralline on your LR is showing up more, eh?

--Diane

Diane,

Yes, both of the crabs had two anemones each of varying sizes and the female's abdomen was completely closed when I introduced her into the tank last Saturday.

At one point I noticed that the "male", let's call him Little Boxer, lost one nem completely and his claw was empty as evidenced by one of the pictures above. Now he definitely has a nem frag that looks like a little body tissue with one tenticle.

The female had two full anemones at introduction. She still has two, but they look a little mangled. I can't determine if she lost one and fragged the other. I'm planning on making a water change tonight and see what the parameters in the tank are. Trying to do my best to keep things stable.

I replaced my heaters with one thermostatic unit from Marineland and the temperature is very stable at 79F. I also have a auto top-off unit to maintain SG as well. The only problem is that it has to be shut off while I'm making water changes to prevent SG swings due to pressure fluctuations and I forgot to do that last week, so my SG dropped to 1.022 from 1.025. I'm going to try and raise it slowly.

It appears that it took about 2 days for the eggs to develop (or reappear). Both crabs looked different from one another when I first examined them with the female looking very much like yours. To me, Little Boxer that I asked to ID looks more like a male. Maybe it's just wishfull thinking.

Edited by klarion

Sounds like you've had some action in that tank!

FWIW, it wouldn't make sense from a biological standpoint to eat their protection, as it would make them more vulnerable to predation. Thats certainly not a guarantee that they wouldn't, but it makes the scenario much less likely. I can't think of any cases in which the benefiter of a commensal relationship would kill/attack/eat, etc. the symbiont.

Cool that you get to watch the anemones healing.

Sounds like you've had some action in that tank!

FWIW, it wouldn't make sense from a biological standpoint to eat their protection, as it would make them more vulnerable to predation. Thats certainly not a guarantee that they wouldn't, but it makes the scenario much less likely. I can't think of any cases in which the benefiter of a commensal relationship would kill/attack/eat, etc. the symbiont.

Cool that you get to watch the anemones healing.

Well, your argument becomes even more plausable because there is plenty of food in my tank, me thinks. Not much suspended particulate matter, but plenty of detritus and leftovers from previous feedings.

Though there is something to be said for extreme situations (since boxer crabs can survive without the nems, it would be more important to survive rather than keep the nems). I think it will be good to dismiss that argument for lack of proof since I would like to elliminate all the possibilities before arriving at a reasonable conclusion.

I'll be updating as I continue my observations...

Awesome action in the tank Boris. Sounds like you have found quite the pair :) They sound like they are incredibly interactive with all of the tank inhabitants and a joy to have.

I look forward to hearing more adventures of your two Pom Poms.....now you have to find good names for them :)

I know this is a silly question but how exactly do they hold the anemone ...is it just with claws or?

Their front claws have evolved to hold the anemones. They look like curved forceps. Here is a picture where an empty claw is visible.

withalgae.jpg

Boris, you have such a wonderful way of bringing us right in to your home and tank.

I love reading this thread and always look forward to updates.

Your passion is what keeps me inspired

Brian

Boris, you have such a wonderful way of bringing us right in to your home and tank.

I love reading this thread and always look forward to updates.

Your passion is what keeps me inspired

Brian

Thanks. It means a lot to me to hear you say that. I wasn't sure if I should post off topic things, but maybe I'll do that more. You're welcome here any time.

On a different topic:

Man, I just read the strangest, funniest and at the same time saddest thread: Cat Vomit in Fish Tank

I just got this mental picture in my head that makes me giggle. I mean........what are the chances of that happening?! Even with 2 cats at home I coud forsee anything but that!!!

Here is a mental picture for you:

Princessandtanks7.jpg

Edited by klarion

Wow....cat puking in the tank is definitely a new one to me. Luckily I only have a puppy that when she gets bored stares at the tank while sitting on the arm of the couch.

Awesome action in the tank Boris. Sounds like you have found quite the pair :) They sound like they are incredibly interactive with all of the tank inhabitants and a joy to have.

I look forward to hearing more adventures of your two Pom Poms.....now you have to find good names for them :)

I was thinking "Little Boxer" for the male and "Pissy Monster" for the female... ;)

W/C today. Cleaned the tank and threw in a couple of pieces of raw flounder to see what happens. Both of the Pom-Poms got a piece and are eating. The two fish are now playing soccer with the remaining piece because it's a bit large.

I also stirred the gravel a bit and I wonder if I accidentally buried Nassarius snails too deep? :huh:

Great shots of your pom pom crabs. Now I know what to look for if I ever see the 2 I just bought. What's even more frustrating is I'm only trying to find them in 7 gallons of water !!

I've got this funny image of the fish playing soccer :P Great description.

Great shots of your pom pom crabs. Now I know what to look for if I ever see the 2 I just bought. What's even more frustrating is I'm only trying to find them in 7 gallons of water !!

I've got this funny image of the fish playing soccer :P Great description.

Hey Eric,

I get the best results when I turn off the main lights and run actinics only, in the evening. They are still relatively shy despite some agressive tendencies I mentioned earlier. So feeding in the evening is the best way to see them for now.

Post a pic. of your pom-pom when you get a chance.

Speaking of Funny things,

I remember mentioning that my Urchin poops a lot. Well, he got into a habbit of carrying around his own poop-basket ;)

Here it is:

Poopbasket.jpg

Here's a shot I was able to take on day 1 in the tank. I should mention the pom poms are in the new 7 gallon build:

March12008097.jpg

Cute, The anemone looks almost pink. Do you have a thread yet?

I just posted it with the background of how it came to be. I'm still at work so I'll have to finish the thread when I get out of here in 15 minutes.

I just posted it with the background of how it came to be. I'm still at work so I'll have to finish the thread when I get out of here in 15 minutes.

Ah yes, I found it and left you a response there. Man, those lights look something awful.