Pod Your Reef

The Dude Abides.

Dooderino

I just read your whole thread, the jawfish was awesome. Id like to have one myself Ill have to research them suckers. You take good pictures to, I was impressed by some of the pics of your fish.

Are you going to replace your Jawfish or Mandarin?

Oh and the brine you fed your mandarin, were they adult brine or fresh hatched babies?

Frozen adults. I just picked up a young female mandarin and she is in the process of being trained. I will replace the Bluespot but not until I upgrade. I going to get a 45-65 Lee-Mar star fire tank. I'm not sure on the size yet. I'm thinking 36x18x18. I want to run a nice light with MH and actinics, build a sump with a fuge, skimmer, ATO, and kalk system. The Nano has been a great learning tool but now I'm ready to step up. I have a 120g fresh that is going bye bye and then I will start picking up pieces after I tile the bottom half of my house.

The fish are all doing fine in the hospital tank. 50% WCs every 4-5 days seems to be working well. I can't wait to put them back in the display.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the fish back in the dispay today. They look happy. The Royal Gramma is hiding but it has always been a little skeered. I know my yicker says I'm over a year but I know I'm not. I goofed when I re-did my ticker so my 1 year old birfday is Oct.22nd. Yea!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a PC crash over the past week and I just got up and running. Here they are, 1 YEAR OLD TANK PHOTOS!!!

FTS no flash

8728a787.jpg

FTS w/flash

636d8e97.jpg

FTS Actinics

1c816afc.jpg

FTS Left

0ac9f20b.jpg

FTS Right

0b79d199.jpg

Velvet, the Mandarin

49df2174.jpg

Neb, my smallest Anemone crab

813a355d.jpg

Random Tank Shot

c63c6f4d.jpg

Tyson the Blue Halloween Hermit

d936cbae.jpg

Romeo

d88bb4bf.jpg

Sparks

aa76a64a.jpg

Jaques

ae9ee03f.jpg

Fat Man, my largest Anemone Crab

8f4c37ef.jpg

1 year...woot...woot! remember when it seemed so far away..

Tank has really turned out great!

I think we need a little pic timeline of where you started ;)

If you watch closely you can follow some of the corals growth.

This is all with in the first month.

Scape1.jpg

Scape2.jpg

Scape3.jpg

Scape4.jpg

Scape5.jpg

Scape6.jpg

Day 31

Nano1month094.jpg

Day 60

NanoDay602.jpg

Day 92

NanoDay92042.jpg

Day 128

NanoDay128070.jpg

Day 154

NanoDay015411.jpg

Day 182

NanoDay01822.jpg

Day 224

NanoDay0224045.jpg

Day 280

NanoDay0280073.jpg

Day 317

NanoDay0357.jpg

1 Year

636d8e97.jpg

very nice indeed...I love getting to see the progression pics.

Those orange rics are monsters!

I re-did my aqua-scape for the fist time in a LOOONG time. Everything is doing well. My BSJ, Bob, is digging holes everywhere. My little firefish didn't make it. That was a bummer but other tan that all is well. Here are some pictures.

NanoDay0357.jpg

NanoDay03571.jpg

NanoDay03572.jpg

NanoDay03575.jpg

NanoDay035714.jpg

NanoDay035724.jpg

NanoDay035727.jpg

NanoDay035728.jpg

NanoDay035729.jpg

NanoDay035733.jpg

NanoDay035738.jpg

new page bump ;)

If you watch closely you can follow some of the corals growth.

This is all with in the first month.

Scape1.jpg

Scape2.jpg

Scape3.jpg

Scape4.jpg

Scape5.jpg

Scape6.jpg

Day 31

Nano1month094.jpg

Day 60

NanoDay602.jpg

Day 92

NanoDay92042.jpg

Day 128

NanoDay128070.jpg

Day 154

NanoDay015411.jpg

Day 182

NanoDay01822.jpg

Day 224

NanoDay0224045.jpg

Day 280

NanoDay0280073.jpg

Day 317

NanoDay0357.jpg

1 Year

636d8e97.jpg

and again

The tank got a birthday present a few days ago! I was hanging out at my favorite LFS after work BSing with the owner and I helped him cleans some tanks. He gave me this fish for the help.

a_g027a.jpg

At some point I will get a Pistol Shrimp to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slow GHA problem going. It is probably due to my feeding of the fish. I don't care though. Looks kinda cool and one of my clowns likes to rub in it sometimes.

I bought some snails and hermits today. 5 turbos, 2 margarita snails, 10 blue legged hermits, 5 tiny, 5 normal. The CUC just slowly disappears after a while. I have not seen either of my Halloween hermits in a few days. The wheeler goby is kinda cool although it is very inactive.

I'm keeping an eye out for a pistol shrimp for him. I got a quote for my next tank too. $650 for a 60g w/ stand and hood, drilled and overflowed, w/ diamond edges. I'm looking forward to having more space, bigger corals and more fish. Not big fish, just some more fish.

• 1 month later...

I made a little video of some of my front flip attempts on the hydrofoil.

Also a little update on my tank. I have a Sally Lightfoot crab and I think, even with my heavy feeding, that it may be the culprit in my slow CUC decline. I lost two of my anemone crabs. One emerald crab. One peppermint shrimp. I havn't seen my pompom in months. Both my Halloween hermits are gone. And countless snails. So I think the lightfoot is coming out. I want to get some sexies, another pompom or two,and some anemone crabs. I really like my inverts!

I also lost the wheeler goby for no apparent reason. Another fish to MDS I guess. All the other fish and corals are doing great. My zoas are out of control! I bought a blue max. clam from a reefer that was moving. Along with a GBTA. I also bought a nice torch with some store credit. I will post pictures after the lights have been on for awhile so everything opens up. The GBTA was placed on a new piece of LR and it immediately went down the back wall. I looked this morning and it is back up and halfway visible again. Neat addition.

I don't check the parameters on my tank anymore but I decided to check the water just for kicks.

NH3: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 20

Cal: 440

pH: 8.2

SG: 1.025

KH: 8

Pictures to come later.

• 4 weeks later...

:angry: My torch kicked the bucket. The part that makes me mad is the tank is perfectly healthy. At least to my knowledge. :angry:

:happy: My anemone crab found the GBTA and is now riding it around the one rock the GBTA seems to do laps around. :happy:

I traded my 6 head FS frag for a $300 return pump for my future 90g. Score! :lol:

All the fish are alive and doing well. I had a CUC failure and lost some crabs and snails but everything seems ok now. I might take some pictures in a few days. I really need to razor the glass. My GHA needs pruning but my male true perc, Romeo, likes to rub and play in it. I have been feeding the tank twice a day for a while now and the percs seem to be growing very fast. :)

Happy Reefing!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have not posted anything on here is a while. I have been doing other things. The tank is doing great. All my corals seem to be doing great. I thought I lost my lone peppermint shrimp a while back but he decided to find his way into the back chamber and eat all the aptasia back there. I also bought a Regal Tang. Yep, I said it. I bought a tang. But it is very young. In fact it is no bigger than my yellow tail damsel. I will be upgrading to a 90g or so tank some time with in the year and I know that this fish will be okay before then. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and seems to best pals with Romeo and Juliet (my true percs). Gurgle wasn't too thrilled with the new arrival but is fine now. Gilbert is doing well I don't think he has grown a mm in the year I've had him. Ember has become pretty skeered lately. He doesn't come out of the rocks very often. My anemone crab seems to be loving the bubble tip. Not much else to report. Just feeding and letting the tank grow.

3392bb59.jpg

• 2 months later...

Wow! Nice Tank! Looks liek you have Coral growing everywhere! keep up the good work. Excellent pictures! How you like the nanotuners 4.36 light upgrade? pm sent.

Let’s try this again. I was at a home show and saw a couple of marine displays. I dipped my hand in salt a long time ago but got out of the hobby to pursue other hobbies. Well now I’m older and make enough money to do all of my hobbies. I have 120g FW tank that used to house my Iguana. I started it up after my old lizard passed. I wanted something that would be low maintenance and the FW tank is easy. Vacuum and WC once a month is all I do.

While down at the home show they had a 29g Nano AIO on display and I thought it would be cool to do salt again. 29g is pretty small compared to my old 75g I had back in the day. I thought the maintenance would be pretty easy once I get everything set up. After some looking around at the different AIOs at my local LFS I ended up with the Oceanic BioCube 29g. I couldn't pass up the deal, $199.

I bought live rock from 2 different stores. I also bought all the usual equipment to go with a tank. I did not take the LR home right away. I tagged the rock and left it at the LFS for a couple of weeks. In that time I built the stand, checked the tank for leaks and finished buying some equipment.

Here is the tank before water.

Nano001.jpg

What a lovely set up!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: What a lovely set up!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Did you build the stand by yourself?????

I mixed some Instant Ocean salt with the RODI I bought from the LFS for $.50 a gallon, that’s cheaper than Wal-Mart! I let the tank run for a few days and got the temp. set and the SG at 1.023. I also wanted to see the evaporation rate. Seems about 8oz a day.

The rock I picked from the stores were pretty well cured and I left them there for a while to be sure. I loaded up a couple of buckets with SW in them (half full) from my tanks and went to the LFS to pick up my LR and LS. When I got home I set up the aquascape the best I could and then added the sand. POOF!!! No more rocks.

Day 1

Nano002.jpg

Day 2

The cloud is almost gone.

Nano003.jpg

FTS

Nano004.jpg

I found this on the side of my rock. I asked around and was told it was aptasia. I never had to deal with that before. I thought it was some kind of algae or worm at first. I'll buy some Joe's Juice and will take care of it later. Not much later, but later.

Nano005.jpg

I also checked the parameters. Zero's. To be expected I was told.

Day 4

I changed the 'scape. I like the new one better. I also found out that my tank was missing a part from the factory. I thought they shipped me the wrong filter cartridge but as it turns out one of the slots was missing. This explains why I scratched my head for a couple minutes on how the filter mounted. In the end I rubber banded the cartridge to the bottom of the drip plate. Seems to work well there right now but I will ditch it in a week anyways. I also put in some polishing pads on top of the Chemi-Pure bag that is on top of the bio balls. I also installed a protein skimmer.

While I was at the LFS the marine manager said I could buy some fish to help cycle the tank further. He was not surprised when I told him what my numbers were. He said it was to be expected because of the fully cured rock I bought from him and another reputable LFS. I kinda raised an eyebrow at the suggestion so I thanked him for the "Joe's Juice" and went to Petco to have a look around. At Petco they had a sale going on. Cool for me since I don't think the fish would live in such a new tank anyway. I bought a Green Chromis for $3 and a False Clown for $7. And to top it off they had crabs (blue hermit) 3 for $1. So in the end I left with a little bag of water towards home.

I know all of you think I'm crazy for buying fish so early. I was told In my other thread. The one that was hi-jacked and then locked. That I added them way too early. Nothing I can do about that now.

So on to the pictures...

Here is the new a-scape w/ flash

Nano020.jpg

Floyd

Nano042.jpg

Right,

Nano047.jpg

Left,

Nano048.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the PS I modified to fit. It is a SeaClone 100. I got it from the LFS and saw one in action at the store. I made a couple of mods to it to make it work. FirstI bought some 1" clear vinyl tubing and extended the hose that went to the pump. I also extended the hose that went from the u-bend to the skimmer. I don't know if it will work but I'm going to try. I had to cut some holes in the back of the lid but as you can see it was minimal and the only thing you can see from the front is the foam canister.

Nano033.jpg

Nano035.jpg

Archived