Cultivated Reef

The Dude Abides.

Dooderino

Just checked out the pics from the 22nd. Your tank looks like it is coming along great and awesome new addition with the six-line. I had one in my 55 gallon and he was my favorite fish. It ended up getting a little aggressive with the clownfish so unfortunately he had to go. They are amazing fish in that they are always in graze-mode and they are very active.

I really like your selection of corals as well. That frogspawn looks great and reminds me of the soccerball size one that I used to have. I got it when it had 5 heads and sold it with 20+. It looks like it is doing great in your tank.

Keep up the good work....

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a used Nanocustoms 4.36 hood a little while ago and decided to run the old bulbs for a while. Every 4 days for the last couple of weeks I have changed one bulb. Kind of a PITA but I didn't want to fry everything. Last night I changed the last bulb. I'm running 1-10,000k/1-50-50/2-actinics, the added blue is great everything is much more vibrant including the fish. So here are just a few pics of the tank on day 108.

FTS

NanoDayDay108002.jpg

The new torch

NanoDayDay108003.jpg

The calupera is doing well. This stuff is super easy to prune.

NanoDayDay108004.jpg

Gilby on one of his rics.

NanoDayDay108006.jpg

NanoDayDay108008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm waiting patiently for a Yellowhead Jawfish to come into my favorite LFS. They had a Bluespotted Jawfish come in that was down right b!tchin' but I couldn't bring myself to spend $100+ for a fish just yet. I'm also thinking about getting some SPS now that my lighting is doubled and my tanks seems to be very stable. I did have some Zoas die on me but they never really made it through the shipping process. I bought some Palys on the same ticket and they are just now starting to open up. It's been like 3 weeks.

The GSP is spreading well and my Xenia is going nuts as you can see from the pics. It started as 1 stalk and has spread to 5 in 5 weeks. My FSpwn is now at 8 heads, started at 6. The Torch I bough a couple weeks ago has me concerned though. It started with 5 heads and one head died. I think another one is about to die because it's doing the same thing as the last one that died, which is just not coming out. The torch also was in contact with my very first coral which was a Paly hitchiker and it has been closed for a week as well.

I did do my parameters for the first time in like a 6 weeks last week and everything was PERFECT!

AMM. = 0

'trite = 0

'trate = 0

Phos = 0

pH = 8.4

SG = 25

Cal = 460

Alk = 8

I have been doing 3 gallon WCs every sunday as well as 1 drop of Lugol's Iodine.

Every other day I do 1/2 the recommended dosage of B-Ionic, One dose of trace elements, one dose of Chromaplex, 1 dose of live phytoplankton.

I feed the fish 2 times a day with Cyclopeze and on Saturdays they get a Brine/Mysis/Krill mix soaked in 5 drops of Garlic.

All the critters are fine. I did lose one hermit a day ago and 2 nassarius snails have passed in the last month. No hard feelings there though. Slimey bastards. One of my blue legs did take residence in a nassarius shell and I must say it suits him well.

Thanks for looking!

There is a LFS that is having a moving sale. I bought a Black onxy clown, 2 acro's, a blue clam, and a free zoa frag for $120!!! :o I will be going back next week to get some more, cheaper corals. He has some hammers and some brains I might grab. I might have to get some more Acro though. Just too cheap to pass up. I will post pics when I get the tank organized.

Well the clam didn't make it. Not sure why. It happens I guess. Everything else is doing great right now. I'm going to go back to that LFS this week to see what he has left. He has to move out by the 29th so maybe I will get a good deal if I wait till he is desperate.

the scape with the clownfish in the bottom right of the pic looks the best IMO

I liked that one too but ti was unstable.

Like I said in a post above, I bought an onyx clown. She is a touch bigger than my other clown and a lot bigger than my baby BW Ocellaris. I watch them quite a bit and am fascinated by the constant badgering the baby clown is giving the new clown. The problem is that the new clown is beating the little guy up. Not bad but he does have a small chunk from his tail missing. The other BW clown and the Onyx seem to get along well. I don't plan on keeping both of the BWs in there forever. I thought about getting a small pico LRWFO and putting the clown in there till I sell it or trade it in. The boss of the tank is the Wrasse. He constantly forages for food and is quick to charge if he feels encroachment. Nobody bothers the YCG or the firefish. Crazy critters.

Love the progression of your tank. Hows that starfish? Looks great, wonder how it would do in a 12G.

Also, what coral is on the bottom center? A torch? Looks great too!

Thank you all!

I have some good news and bad news.

Bad news is my firefish, Ember, passed last night. Another MDS(mysterious death syndrome) victim.

I went back to the LFS that is moving and got some more stuff. To be honest I'm not actually sure what I got. I know I got a rock with 13 yuma rics on it. A Canycane with 10 heads. A Toadstool Leather and some other leather with it. A rock with Favia on it. And a free Acro frag that had a branch dying. Not sure of the names. All for the sweet price of $80. As soon as photobucket stops being stupid I will post up the pictures.

Maybe you all can help me ID some of this stuff.

Love the progression of your tank. Hows that starfish? Looks great, wonder how it would do in a 12G.

Also, what coral is on the bottom center? A torch? Looks great too!

The starfish seems good at the moment. Looks healthy anyway. And that was a 6 headed torch. Now it is down to 2 but it looks like it's going to make it. :)

Here are some pictures!

Candy Canes, Don't know the name.

NanoDay128001.jpg

Leather? With Barnicals!

NanoDay128005.jpg

Toadstool?

NanoDay128006.jpg

Ric rock with 13 yumas on it.

NanoDay128007.jpg

Favia? NAME?

NanoDay128011.jpg

This Paly frag had 15 heads when I got it.

NanoDay128012.jpg

I got this frag in a BOC sale from Zoanuts. Acan?

NanoDay128017.jpg

A Watermelon alone in some green zoas.

NanoDay128023.jpg

These Palys were closed for 2-3 weeks after I got them. Looks like they're ok now.

NanoDay128033.jpg

Acan.

NanoDay128034.jpg

Acro

NanoDay128042.jpg

New clown

NanoDay128048.jpg

Halloween Hermit.

NanoDay128054.jpg

FTS

NanoDay128057.jpg

FTS w/FLASH.

NanoDay128070.jpg

Bonus pic! My 120g fresh water.

NanoDay128051.jpg

pic fest!!! Sweet

I think that is a toadstool.

That hermit is so cool...and nice pic

You are putting together a nice colletion of corals...keep up the good work and thanks for sharing all your pics

Dood, what a treat to find so many new pics! As Tud said, you've got some wonderful specimens there. I'm not too good at ID'ing stonies, so I'll let someone else help you with that.

13 yumas?! That should have been >$80 all by itself! Man, you made out like a bandit.

That is one of the prettiest candy cane morphs I've ever seen--I've never seen one those colors, for that matter.

RE the coral with the barnacles (cool!) in it--are you sure it's a softy? Just because I often see barnicles in encrusting sps...

Your fts's are looking great, as they have been for quite a while now.

--Diane

PS: Oh, and thanks for the shot of the FW tank. What all have you got in there? Much as I love the look of the planteds, it's nice to see an "old-fashioned" FW that actually has visible fish. :lol:

i love your BC29

check mine out.\i have a bunch of coral and stuff also.

what mods have you all done to your cube?

im just using the stock pump as of now. why the need for so much flow inside of your tank?

Dood, what a treat to find so many new pics! As Tud said, you've got some wonderful specimens there. I'm not too good at ID'ing stonies, so I'll let someone else help you with that.

13 yumas?! That should have been >$80 all by itself! Man, you made out like a bandit.

That is one of the prettiest candy cane morphs I've ever seen--I've never seen one those colors, for that matter.

RE the coral with the barnacles (cool!) in it--are you sure it's a softy? Just because I often see barnicles in encrusting sps...

Your fts's are looking great, as they have been for quite a while now.

--Diane

PS: Oh, and thanks for the shot of the FW tank. What all have you got in there? Much as I love the look of the planteds, it's nice to see an "old-fashioned" FW that actually has visible fish. :lol:

I have some Mollies, platties, tinfoil barbs, bala sharks, tiger barbs, columbian sharks, gourami, pleco, rosy barbs, and some others. It's cool because it is so low maintenance.

i love your BC29

check mine out.\i have a bunch of coral and stuff also.

what mods have you all done to your cube?

im just using the stock pump as of now. why the need for so much flow inside of your tank?

To keep dead spots away, where waste gathers and SPS alive you need good flow. I have a Rio6HF in place of the stock pump, opened the dam between 1 and 2, ditched the false floor in 1 and 2. Used a bulkhead and the stock pump to run loc-line in chamber 1. This eliminated the bulky koralia2 I have. I don't use the stock filter instead I have floss on the drip tray. At some point I will turn #2 into a 'fuge.

What a gorgeous tank!

I have a question though... Is the stock lighting still hooked up in the tanks hood (no mods or anything)? Just planning ahead if/when I get a biocube (hopefully 29) and plan on getting frogspawns and torch corals aswell. They are my favourite corals, and I would love to be able to have them and not have to do any crazy mods lol.

Flick :)

What a gorgeous tank!

I have a question though... Is the stock lighting still hooked up in the tanks hood (no mods or anything)? Just planning ahead if/when I get a biocube (hopefully 29) and plan on getting frogspawns and torch corals aswell. They are my favourite corals, and I would love to be able to have them and not have to do any crazy mods lol.

Flick :)

The stock lighting will support most LPS and softies. I do have an upgraded hood but that's because I wanted to do some SPS.

Oh ok thanks, I wasn't sure what your lighting was...

Quick question that I forget the answer... would you be able to give me some examples of:

LPS

Softies

and SPS

I forget what corals fit in which category :blush:

Archived