Coral Vue Hydros

The Dude Abides.

Dooderino

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the kind words. The really cool thing about reef keeping is the diversity. Everyone gets to start with a blank canvas. It really is a joy to read about other's comments regarding our little slice of oceanic serenity.

A couple words about growth. For me it's three things. Food, light, and water quality.

Food- I feed my tank quite a bit but because of the feeding schedule I was able to build up my tank's bio load handling capacity over time. Using some old food trays (the ones your frozen food comes in) I mix my own cubes. Cyclopeez, mysis, spirlina(sp?) brine, Rod's Coral Food, oyster eggs, and garlic.

One cube a day.

5ml of live phytoplanktin 2-3 times a week.

5ml Seachem Reef Plus once a week.

5ml Elements Fuel once a week.

5ml Brightwell Microchrom once a week.

Since I just added a new fish I needed a new food. Brightwell's Microvore. 5 drops a day for 2 weeks then I will double it.

Light- I have a 150w Sunpod with a 14k Phoenix bulb. 9 hours a day. I use 6 Cree LEDs to add some blue and work with my full light cycle. 12 hours a day. The stock white LEDs are on 14 hours a day and the stock blue LEDs are on for 18 hours a day. 6 hours of complete darkness.

It took a bit to get the corals used to the intensity of the MH. Some corals are still struggling a bit but I'm sorting it out.

Water quality- water changes when I get the time or a chance. I skim heavily 24 hours a day. I add Seachem Trace every week. I use Brightwell's 2 part twice a week. One drop of iodine a week. I also have some macro algae that has 12 hours of direct 4k daylight CF. I use filter floss and Chemi-Pure Elite. I have loads of aptasia in my back chambers but I have a pair of peppermints that have taken care of the few I had in the display. I have snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, a brittle star, emerald crab, a couple Nass. Snails and tons of tiny hitchhikers. All this certainly helps.

I might have gone a little overboard with my schedule but for those willing to read it might give some people the chance to see how this guy does it. Oh yea, it's been a few months since I checked all my parameters but I did test the SG and it was 25. My temps hold strong at 80-80.4

Just another day at work for me. Can't wait to get home.

Sent via blackberry.

• 2 months later...

Happy Birthday to my BC29. I will post some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

I almost have a line on a nice 125 gallon reef set-up. Maybe in a couple months I can move my overgrown 29 into that. Spread things out a bit.

Sorry I have not posted pictures. I have been super busy. Getting married in a week. Thanks for the compliments. Maybe picking up a 125 or a 145 this weekend. YIPPIE!

thats some feeding and dosing schedule, i'm surprised you don't give them some white russian every once in a while.lol
You would think these fish are starving. Everytime I walk near the tank the clowns are in your face. Some time I sit about 12 feet away from the tank so I can watch the clowns natural behavior.
Sorry I have not posted pictures. I have been super busy. Getting married in a week. Thanks for the compliments. Maybe picking up a 125 or a 145 this weekend. YIPPIE!

Double congrats!!

Tank + wife = score!

I'm still waiting on the pics though :angry:

I finally found some time to go through the 200 pictures I took last Thursday. I'm sure do like taking pictures but it sure is hard to get a good shot. Even with a tripod and the pumps off. Especially when you have clownfish that act like dogs around a dinner table.

DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

Well I'm headed up to Phoenix tomorrow to pick up a new tank. I will be closing the chapter on the ol BC29 by the end of the year.

So what did I buy? I got a 125g Starfire front. Cherry stained Oak stand and canopy. The stand is tall, which is great for viewing. The whole thing is over 6 feet tall. I will be running 2- 250 watt MH Illuminarc lights with 4 x 64 watt PCs for actinics and a 150 watt HQI over the center. I will be stealing the Cree LEDs out of my sunpod as well as the moon lights. The sump will be swapped out. It had a 29 gallon now. I'm going to build my own and include space for a dump box, 'fuge, media rack, skimmer, and filter.

I'm going to start the tank with dead rock and let it cycle with a few cycled rocks till 2010. Then I will start to transfer the live stock. Black sand, and a VERY unique aqua scape. Blue wall with a slightly foamed back.

Anyway I will take loads of pictures. I can't wait to start the project.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived