SaltCritters.com

The Dude Abides.

Dooderino

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dood!

I read your post and like Tudizzle was guilted into at least replying to you ;) We're still around, don't worry - just busy. It's kinda cool to be considered part of the "old crew" B)

I won't be posting any pics of mine real soon. battling a giant army of algae and bacterias but i think i've got the right stuff going now to combat it.

Your tank looks great! You've got some hUUUUUUGe pieces in there! haha i have a sunpod on mine and I LOVE it !

Pics please :D
Maybe tomorrow. I have to clean the glass tonight.

Hey Dood!

I read your post and like Tudizzle was guilted into at least replying to you ;) We're still around, don't worry - just busy. It's kinda cool to be considered part of the "old crew" B)

I won't be posting any pics of mine real soon. battling a giant army of algae and bacterias but i think i've got the right stuff going now to combat it.

Your tank looks great! You've got some hUUUUUUGe pieces in there! haha i have a sunpod on mine and I LOVE it !

Some of the coral are getting big!!! You should have seen it before the zoa pox. I had a superior zoa mix going. A well live and learn. Now I dip all corals. ALL of them.

Maybe pictures later. I moved all my loose zoa/paly frags and glued them to 2 bigger rocks. ZOA garden in the 'cube!

I did some testing last week and my Nitrates were around 80ppm. So needless to say I have been doing water changes at the rate of 5 gallons every other day for the last 8 days. I will do another one tonight and test tomorrow.

Being gone for weeks at a time on business is tough on the tank. The fiance can only do so much. She really has no clue about the tank. She just follows my instructions. No water changes. Water from the RO unit. A little food everyday. So I have some adjustments to make to the instructions.

I finally got my temperature nailed down. It took a while to get the fan/heater right. The old heater was a 150w and it couldn't keep up with the tank when the fan came on. But without the fan the tank would get up to 85. I took a 400w heater that I had in my old 120g fresh and added it. This heater is DEAD NUTS on spot. Now the temp never varies more than 1/2 a degree. SWEET!

I took and old clamp on light that I used for a basking light for my old Iguana, RIP, and I used my Nimble Nano glass cleaner to hang it off the tank. I put in a 5000k florescent screw in bulb and pointed it towards the area that has no corals and is for the most part just barren. That is my make shift 'fuge right now. I just have the 'fuge light on for 12hrs a day. It's ugly as hell but right now the whole tank looks like sh!t. Well the inside is cool. Damn science experiment.

I can't wait to get my new tank. 48x 20x24h. Starfire front. Triple 150w MH and T5 combo lights. No powerheads. Home made rock scape with concrete and loads of patience. The over flow will be boxes on the top in each corner. The rock will be molded and formed to make a rock wall that will look awesome. It will have overhangs where the over flow boxes are. The sump will have a 'fuge, skimmer, media tray, and filter floss. I'm going to custom build it too. The stand will be 40" tall and the cabinet on the top will be 12" tall. I will use kalkwasser in the top off system that will automatically filled by a feed from my RO that is under the sink in the kitchen. More on that much later.

My True Percula Clownfish, Romeo and Juliet, are beginning to do the spawning dance!!! omgomgomg I saw them both cleaning a very smooth part of the underside of the frogspawn they host. I took a peak and it looks like they have done an AMAZING job at cleaning the coral's skeleton. I can't even tell you how cool this is. :haha: I have had Romeo since 12-07 and he was just a wee tike at 1".

NanoDay015428.jpg

This is Romeo when Juliet came into the picture a few months later.

NanoDay0224069-1.jpg

This Juliet soon after I got her.

NanoDay0280154-1.jpg

Here is the first picture of Romeo and Juliet together. Juliet is in the front.

NanoDay0224080.jpg

This is a picture of Romeo cleaning the spawning site. Juliet stays out from and guards the love shack. :naughtydance:

DSC01547.jpg

Here is a quick, crappy video.

th_MOV01559.jpg

I was just thinking I should go get those two a tile.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a new Macro lens for my Nikon. Damn lens is about as much money as I have in the whole camera so far. I bought a nice camera for general use. I'm tired of the limitations of my PAS Sony Compact. It has done well and does Marco pretty good but it takes a steady hand, magnifying glass and loads of shots.

So far the new D5000 will do just as well on the Marco setting as my old PAS. So I am now on a photography kick and I'm actually thinking about taking a class down at the local community college. I'm tired of using the AUTO setting and I want to learn about FR, AP, WB, and all that other photo jargon. Maybe in a few weeks I will have some more pictures for you all! Till then TTYL, I'm off on a business trip.

2160_AF-S-VR-Micro-NIKKOR-105mm-f-2.8G-IF-ED_front.jpg

New to the forums here. Just starting out my BC29, have a pair of false percs in my tank and looking to add maybe one or two more fish. I see you have a royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse. Just wondering how they all get along in your tank.

Tank looks awesome btw.

- Josh

• 2 weeks later...
New to the forums here. Just starting out my BC29, have a pair of false percs in my tank and looking to add maybe one or two more fish. I see you have a royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse. Just wondering how they all get along in your tank.

Tank looks awesome btw.

- Josh

Everybody gets along fine. Any time I have a new addition the Gramma is a bit mean but after a day of 2 it settles down.

I'm on my way home tonight! I can wait to see how the tanks is doing after being gone 2 weeks!

• 4 weeks later...

After 3 weeks of business trips I have returned to a flourishing tank! Looks like I might have a good routine going. I'm going to do 2 five gallon water changes and then I'm off on another trip. Maybe this next month will be as good as the last one. Big money, finally. Pictures will not come for another month or so but it should be worth it when it's time!

PICTURES!!! In no particular order. I have not got my Macro lens yet. Damn expensive sucker. I took in a male Anthius (sp?) Either that or god only knows what. I moved my Elegance coral to the sand. I think it was too close to the light. I also moved my favia to a bit more shady of a spot. I have a bunch of "rescue" frags that are doing well. Some better than others but they were free so what the hey.

I have been playing with my new DSLR and all these pictures were taken with the WB set as high as it would go. The ISO was 1000. The shutter was about 1/60 and the f stop was about 9. I still have a lot to learn but I'm getting better. :D

Tank22Mo14.jpg

Tank22Mo.jpg

Tank22Mo1.jpg

Tank22Mo2.jpg

Tank22Mo3.jpg

Tank22Mo4.jpg

Tank22Mo5.jpg

Tank22Mo7.jpg

Tank22Mo8.jpg

Tank22Mo10.jpg

Tank22Mo11.jpg

Tank22Mo12.jpg