Coral Vue Hydros

The Dude Abides.

Dooderino

I bought a piece of LR that had some GSP on it along with some Grape Caulerpa. I bought the rock for $20. I but the GSP and rock in my QT for a week. Nothing exciting. I put the algae it's special place. After a week I put the rock into the display. Then last night I noticed a crab. About the size of a dime. Tan/sand colored. The legs are kinda hairy but not nearly as hairy as the emerald crab pics I have seen. So the crab made residence in one of my rocks last night. He actually took spare hermit crab shells and built a little cubby and now I can barely see him. I would take a picture but he isn't visible. What king of crab do you think it is and is it reef safe?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after a lot of research I have decided the crab is a mithrax crab. It has curved, flat tipped claws. It has red eyes and has not come out of the lair it built. I moved a lot of my coral frags off the sand bed. It looks so much cleaner now. I'm trying find some neon green torch coral. Not having much luck. I will post some pics as soon as things settle down.

nice tank...thanks for the reply on my thread...ill track this thread for a while to see how ur tank matures and see if it would be a good tank for me...thanks :)

So after a lot of research I have decided the crab is a mithrax crab. It has curved, flat tipped claws. It has red eyes and has not come out of the lair it built. I moved a lot of my coral frags off the sand bed. It looks so much cleaner now. I'm trying find some neon green torch coral. Not having much luck. I will post some pics as soon as things settle down.

Good work on the crab ID. Chuck, of the "Chuck's Addiction" website, has this to say about Mithrax:

The Mithrax Crabs ( Cling Crabs) None of which I would consider to be reef safe, members of this family include the popular "emerald" crabs that are used for algae control, which may be fine for awhile, but with all crabs being omnivores, it is usualy only a matter of time before these crabs discover that there are meatier items to be had within your aquarium.

( http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchcrabs.html )

That said, I'd be tempted to give it the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, but I'm in the minority here (maybe because I haven't yet had a harmful crab hitcher. I have, tho, had an emerald who killed a plate coral!). Nevertheless, you might want to read up on various crab trapping methods, just in case!

--Diane

Thanks for all the complements. I really enjoy this hobby thus far and the tank was a huge hit over the holidays.

Well here are some new pictures. I got some good deals on some corals at my favorite LFS. He was selling stuff at 20-30% off for tax reasons.

FTS

NanoDay689.jpg

FTS-R

NanoDay6810.jpg

FTS-L

NanoDay682.jpg

Hitchhiking Mithrax Crab, Best pic I could get.

NanoDay68.jpg

This shell was white a few weeks ago.

NanoDay603.jpg

Blue Knuckle, pullin' the hood down low.

NanoDay604.jpg

Neon Shroom

NanoDay605.jpg

Acan

NanoDay606.jpg

GSPs are new.

NanoDay683.jpg

Ric with my new GSP

NanoDay684.jpg

Algae does WONDERS!!!

NanoDay685.jpg

Whams

NanoDay686.jpg

New red Star and Radioactive Dragon Eyes.

NanoDay687.jpg

Tube worm

NanoDay688.jpg

Green Implosion Palys

NanoDay6811.jpg

Dragon Eyes.

NanoDay6814.jpg

Is your algae on a soap dish? Also, how often do you have to trim that stuff? I am thinking of adding one to my set-up.

Yea, it's just temporary. I just added it last week. Since then the small amount of diatoms I would have after a full day of lights were gone. I was battling some red slime too but a flow direction change and a good cleaning of my bio balls and chemi-pure bag pretty much cured that. The grape algae has been growing the fastest. I will trim it up at the end of the week. I plan on doing some 'fuge work next weekend.

hey Dood, how are you. Happy New Year. Your tank has come a long way since we first started talking about it. Looks good. Keep a close eye on your parameters and keep up with your husbandry. I like the looks so far. Good stuff.

Obi Juan kenobi

I wouldnt trip on your crab I had 1 in my tank for about 5 months before I finally caught him. Needless to say he didnt bother anything at all. On the other hand I also had a Blue knuckled hermit that took out about 5 of my snails. Tank looks awesome keep up the work.

tanks looking nice..the pink tips on that spawn are sure r purty!

I wish I could get me some of that grape algea. I love the color and texture it can add to a tank. Are you going to keep any in the display or is it going into a fuge?

tanks looking nice..the pink tips on that spawn are sure r purty!

I wish I could get me some of that grape algea. I love the color and texture it can add to a tank. Are you going to keep any in the display or is it going into a fuge?

I have not quite decided yet. When my tank was new I thought I might want some color in it. Now my tank has so many colors I might just leave it in the 'fuge. I'm still a little undecided. My biggest concern is that it will grow out of control and in places impossible to prune.

As you may or may not have noticed in my last set of pictures I have a firefish. It's name is Ember. There is a little story around this fish I would like to share.

It starts on day 4. I was at Petco checking things out. I was still new to salt and new to this site. I was told it would be ok to add fish since I bought cured LR. So I bought a Ocellaris and a Green Chromis. Those two fish lived through the cycle but I never really saw any Ammonia or Nitrite spike. About 22 days in I bought another Ocellaris. This fish vanished after a couple of days. I was told it might be a bristle worm. So I set a trap and caught a few. One was new 10 inches long. Five days after the disappearance I bought another Ocellaris from the same hatch. I named him Rupert. At about 6 weeks I bought Ember the Firefish. After a week Floyd died. I couldn't find a reason why. The next day I picked up a new Percula. Four days (nearly 8 weeks total) since I introduced the Percula I noticed a white dot on Ember. I thought it was Ich. So I set up my 10 gallon QT and got the parameters close to the display's. I took the two clowns, chromis, and firefish out and gave them a FW dip before putting them in the QT. The next day I found the Ammonia levels unsafe. So I moved the fish back to the display in a breeding cage. I reset the QT. The chromis didn't make it. After the QT was reset with more bio I went to put the fish back in the QT. As I lifted the cage out of the water Ember jumped back into the display. I put the clown into the QT. The next morning the tank was cold. The cheap heater I bought for my breeder tank long ago finally gave up leaving both clowns dead. So Ember lucked out. I decided to leave him in the display till he either died of Ich or lived to tell the tale. That was 4 weeks ago. Ember is still alive and still has the same white spot on his side. Amazing fish.

Yesterday I decide to buy some fish. I bought a Yellow Clown Goby and two baby black Onyx Ocellaris'. The babies are misbars. Both were tank raised. One from Phoenix and one from Tucson. Why Misbars? Because they are different. Seems like most people like the full bars and I'm not most people. The owner of the store said that all the full bars went first. These fish have been in the LFS store since I bought my tank. They have grown quite a bit since then and I decided that the weaklings have probably been weeded out by now. So here some pictures. No names yet.

Better picture of the Mithrax Crab

NanoDay72.jpg

The new Goby

NanoDay724.jpg

NanoDay725.jpg

Blue Knuckle Hermit

NanoDay729.jpg

Frank and the Ric Rock.

NanoDay7213.jpg

Ember and his new roommates.

NanoDay73019.jpg

The big one is about 1 inch. The small one is about half that.

NanoDay73025.jpg

Compare the size to my Scarlet Hermit

NanoDay73028.jpg

Taking pictures of fish is hard.

NanoDay721.jpg

But a flash sure helps.

NanoDay7212.jpg

That crab is no mithrax, I would yank that sucker in a second. I have had that species in my tanks before and they get big and become bulldozers. Never actually harmed any coral directly but flipped quite a number of frags and colonies over, destroying them in in the process.

That crab is no mithrax, I would yank that sucker in a second. I have had that species in my tanks before and they get big and become bulldozers. Never actually harmed any coral directly but flipped quite a number of frags and colonies over, destroying them in in the process.
What kind of crab is it? I'm having troubles ID-ing it.
Sorry 'bout the hermit. You're lucky to have been able to dispatch the crab! They're usually pretty wily.--Diane
I have been waiting to get him for a while. The picture I got of him was when he was impossible to reach. I'm not entirely sure he killed the crab. That particular hermit "slept" in the same place. I'm wondering if he got his shell stuck in his "bed" because there was nassarius slime around his shell and it was still in the "bed". Either way I stuck him with a steak knife. After that Sparks, the fire shrimp, took over finishing the carcass.

I also bought a used Nanocustoms 4.36 modded hood with the fan upgrade. Now I can step it up a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

January 22nd, it's been three months. I just added a 4.36 Nanocustoms hood. It needs new bulbs though. They are on order. 1-10,000k, 2- Actinic, 1 50-50. I bought the hood from Alias and a couple of things broke during shipping. I was able to use my stock hood for parts. I did not complain about the parts I just told Alias how it went and then Alias refunded some cash to me without asking. Awesome person. I used the money towards bulb replacement.

I also bought a 6-Line Wrasse. This fish is busy and since I dropped him in 2 days ago has a plump belly. My other fish are doing great. The Clowns are growing fast. I'm sure 3 feedings a day is helping a lot. My Yellow Clown Goby got it's name last night. My girlfriend really likes him so I let her name him. He is now Gilbert. I still have not named my clowns yet. Nothing has really come to me. I was looking at the Wrasse and thought he looks like he ate something sour so I thought about naming him either Pucker or Sour Pus. I also bought some corals from a SF guy. The zoas are doing great but the palys and other zoas never took off. I'm not sure why. Everything else is doing great. One of my rics now has 4 mouths. My FS started with 6 heads and now has 7. It working on it's 8th. I have a new Mushroom growing. The candy cane is about to split. And my hitch hiker paly has grown about 6 times it's original size.

Here are a couple of pictures. Enjoy!!!

NanoDay92002.jpg

FTS

NanoDay92042.jpg

FTLR

NanoDay92046.jpg

FTSL

NanoDay92047.jpg

Red Star (The USSR)

NanoDay92004.jpg

Candy Cane

NanoDay92005.jpg

Gilbert and the 4th mouth Ric.

NanoDay92014.jpg

Acan

NanoDay92015.jpg

New Xenia

NanoDay92016.jpg

FS

NanoDay92017.jpg

New zoas.

NanoDay92020.jpg

My little weeds.

NanoDay92025.jpg

NanoDay92026.jpg

NanoDay92030.jpg

Look at the gut on this guy.

NanoDay92031.jpg

NanoDay92052.jpg

NanoDay92054.jpg

Hi Dood. Long time. Tank is looking nice. Good to see after a somewhat rocky start it is settling in to something you can be proud of. I have a sixline now too, what a great fish. They have loads of character.

Hi Dood. Long time. Tank is looking nice. Good to see after a somewhat rocky start it is settling in to something you can be proud of. I have a sixline now too, what a great fish. They have loads of character.

He disappeared for about an hour but came out and was sliding in and out of the rock work. His belly was super fat after day 2. He is cool to watch. He is already following me around the tank.

Super new shots, Dood. Your tank is looking great! I esp. like the first & second shots: the one of the tank "in situ"--looks real nice in that corner, on that stand--and the first fts. Everything seems nice & healthy. Hey, maybe that six-line's a gal!

:D

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been a couple of weeks. Not much has changed. Well the fish and corals are growing like weeds and my weeds are... well you know. I haven't checked my parameters in a while. I just do my water changes and dose my chemicals on a strict schedule and every thing is thriving. Thanks for looking.

Archived