Cultivated Reef

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got some zoa frags that took a week to fully open. Not sure about your frog spawn, mine has always opened up well when the lights are on.

I know it can take that long, but I just can't help but wonder why!!?? My frogspawn still looks healthy other than that...I sure hope it is ok.

How's everything you got today? Sounds like fun! I will be glad when I can get some more stuff! Take lots of pics, I love to see em! :)

It looks like my new corals are happy. The toadstool and colt coral both had full polyp extension within a couple hrs. The hardest part so far has been trying to secure corals on the LR. The colt coral was attached to a goofy shaped piece of rubble that, for the life of me couldn't get to sit upright. The epoxy I have doesn't work, might have to try crazy glue gel to get it to stand upright. Until then, I've named her Eliene. lol

Didn't have time for pics, will try to get some this weekend.

Check out rsmreefers.com if you want to see some RSM owners tanks.

I am seriously getting worried about my tank!!!! Everything is closed up, even the things that came originally on my LR, like a mushroom and some anthelia is all closed and withered lookiing. My params are: SG`1.024, pH-7.8, Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate-all zero. KH-8, Calcium-460, haven't added anything for over a week now on that. Not sure what the heck!! Any advice??? :huh:

NICE TANK!
Hi Asin! Thanks for the compliment..I like it for just being a month old, but can't wait to get some more stuff so it looks like all the other tanks I have seen on this forum!What kind of tank do you have? Any pics?

Now I have a mushroom that looks like his guts are coming out of his mouth! Getting a little freaked out!! :o HEEEEELLLPPPPP!!On the positive side, my fish are all doing great, just my corals are not happy!!

Eek! Your pH is for sure low! I've never really heard anything that pH below 8.0 is okay... I'd maybe use a pH buffer to help bring it back up to at least 8.0 is not 8.2 There might be a homebrew solution for raising the pH, but I don't know of one myself off hand... Did you test the pH with the lights on or off?? pH tends to drop at night when the lights are off... But search for "low pH" on here and see what solutions there are. Good luck RSG! :)

Yeah, that PH is a bit low, mine hovers around 8.4... I would test at different times as phixion says, also, open a window if you can. It will help circulate CO2 in that room disolving more into the water and rasing your PH.

Thanks guys! I thought it might be that, but it has always been at 7.8, so I was hoping it would be ok. I had some 8.2 powder and added that, so far things seem a little better, things have started opening back up. I checked it about an hour later and it was at 8.4. I always check in the morning after the lights have been on for maybe an hour. I will check it again tonight before the lights go out.

What time do you both set your lights to come on and off?

For me, my actinics are on at 9:45am and daylights on at 10:30am, then my daylights are off at 5:45pm and my actinics are off at 6:30pm. This way I get a better dawn to dusk light cycle going. My moon light turn on and off half way between the daylights and actinics going on or off.

For me, my actinics are on at 9:45am and daylights on at 10:30am, then my daylights are off at 5:45pm and my actinics are off at 6:30pm. This way I get a better dawn to dusk light cycle going. My moon light turn on and off half way between the daylights and actinics going on or off.

With the RSM, all your lights are on or off and then you can have the blue LED lights come on or not. So you only have yours on about 8 hours.

Had a thought on the frogspawn..about a week ago, my 2 sexy shrimp decided to make it their home and it has gradually been closing more and more everyday. Today it is totally closed just like it is at night. Do you think it could be the shrimp and if so, do you think it will adjust or end up dying?

With the RSM, all your lights are on or off and then you can have the blue LED lights come on or not. So you only have yours on about 8 hours.

Had a thought on the frogspawn..about a week ago, my 2 sexy shrimp decided to make it their home and it has gradually been closing more and more everyday. Today it is totally closed just like it is at night. Do you think it could be the shrimp and if so, do you think it will adjust or end up dying?

The RSM doesn't have seperate cords/plugs for the daylights and the actinics?? :(

It sounds like the shrimp might be irritating the frogspawn a bit. Can't really say if it'll get used to it or not... But I'd for no treat it as if it won't adjust to it... =/ Unless they are abusing it, I can't imagine them "hosting" in it being any rougher than a clownfish hosting in one...

The RSM doesn't have seperate cords/plugs for the daylights and the actinics?? :(

It sounds like the shrimp might be irritating the frogspawn a bit. Can't really say if it'll get used to it or not... But I'd for no treat it as if it won't adjust to it... =/ Unless they are abusing it, I can't imagine them "hosting" in it being any rougher than a clownfish hosting in one...

The daylights and the actinics are not seperate. Too bad though, huh? It would be cool to see just the actinics on! B) I had to turn my lights off early tonight, it was just buggin me too much..kept seeing bubbles and the zoas aren't opening and then my frogspawn closing!! UGGGHH!! Have you ever been that way? It's probably just me, I HATE when things don't work.

Yea, your right...I have heard of clownfish hosting frogspawn, so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it is just being irritated and will snap out of it!!

Thanks for replying, your a keeper! ;)

The daylights and the actinics are not seperate. Too bad though, huh? It would be cool to see just the actinics on! B) I had to turn my lights off early tonight, it was just buggin me too much..kept seeing bubbles and the zoas aren't opening and then my frogspawn closing!! UGGGHH!! Have you ever been that way? It's probably just me, I HATE when things don't work.

Yea, your right...I have heard of clownfish hosting frogspawn, so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it is just being irritated and will snap out of it!!

Thanks for replying, your a keeper! ;)

Your welcome! ;)

Trust me when I say I've had those kind of days before, I'm having one today in fact fearing that my fridmani pseudochromis is gone. He's been MIA all day today which isn't a good sign. No sign of him anywhere, so if he died, it's somewhere in the rocks... :( I'm doing a W/C tomorrow (5 gallons) and I discovered today thatmy S.G is way low, about 1.018... EEK!

Wow! That IS a low S.G.!!! :o What would cause it to go low like that?? I sure hope you find your Fridmani Pseudochromis! (that is a fish, right??) :lol: So far, I haven't had any trouble with my fish but these corals are just killing me! I thought the corals were supposed to be easier than the fish, but I must have gotten that backwards!

Well, so far I turned the lights on this morning and some things seem to be opening up, but my frogspawn is totally NOT happy. It could be the shrimp, it could be the lighting and it could be the current but...I have glued it to the rock..so..maybe not the smartest thing in the world! I have seen a lot of frogspawn in that same place though in other RSMs, and it was doing so good. Course, now that I looked it up, I have only had it for 10 days! I can't believe that, I thought for sure I had it for at least 2-3 weeks. :) I think I will just give it more time and after, what maybe a month...if it's still alive but closed, I will try to pry it off and move it. So I will shut up about the frogspawn for a bit! :P

Nothing else going on with the tank...I have a hammer and a torch coming Tuesday, so I will get some pictures then...and btw! I JUST figured out the macro lens this morning with the 1/50 thing so...I will put some more pics here and you can tell me if they are ok or not. Close ups are darker now but still blurry.post-32061-1195917125_thumb.jpg

The picture on the right is of my mushroom (which is on the left side of the pix) and above it are some zoas that won't open at all, right now it's also got quite a bit of algae on it but it's kinda cool looking anyways. :)

post-32061-1195919245_thumb.jpg

post-32061-1195919478_thumb.jpg

I'm sooo jealous still of the amount of coralline on your rocks. I wish the ones in my 10g had even remotely near that smount. :P

Sometimes things just aren't happy where they are in the tank. You can try moving the frogspawn somewhere else, but perhaps wait about a week after you've done a couple W/C's as suggested in your other thread, to see if they help out any. I've had clams that will MOVE themself across a rock (granted very slowly over the course of a week or two) if they didn't like the spot they were in. I had one that would totally unattach itself and just FALL off the rock and land in the sand about "6 inches below! :o

I'm sooo jealous still of the amount of coralline on your rocks. I wish the ones in my 10g had even remotely near that smount. :P

Sometimes things just aren't happy where they are in the tank. You can try moving the frogspawn somewhere else, but perhaps wait about a week after you've done a couple W/C's as suggested in your other thread, to see if they help out any. I've had clams that will MOVE themself across a rock (granted very slowly over the course of a week or two) if they didn't like the spot they were in. I had one that would totally unattach itself and just FALL off the rock and land in the sand about "6 inches below! :o

Thanks! I did spend quite a bit of $ on the rock, but I just didn't want to look at yellowish green rock for a long time! Coralline= :wub:

Yea...I did start a thread on my frogspawn, :blush: it's just my very favorite thing in my tank right now and it's making me crazy that it won't open up anymore! I may do a w/c and move it tomorrow, I have another spot on the same side, but a little higher up, so maybe it will like it there closer to the light.

How's your tank? Did you find your fish yet?

I have my frogspawn in the EXACT same spot as yours, It may just not like you ;)

I would try and move it, they can be picky in their placement. Expect for it to get mad again and not open after the move. they do not like direct flow

I have my frogspawn in the EXACT same spot as yours, It may just not like you ;)

I would try and move it, they can be picky in their placement. Expect for it to get mad again and not open after the move. they do not like direct flow

LMAO! :haha: I am beginning to think that all my corals have made some secret pact to never open again and then the day will come when I can't handle it anymore and I will give them to you so they can live happily ever after in your tank!! :lol: But you know what?????? I just may not like them very much at the moment either! ;)

Well, I was going to wait till tomorrow with the water change but I decided to move the frogspawn, just about an hour ago and the shrimp are still in the same old place, wondering.."What the.....??" It's still on the RT side of the tank but up higher, and it is actually looking just a wee bit fuller. SO...maybe I will get lucky and it will love me once again! If it still doesn't open, how long would you leave it there before moving it again?

It's not in the direct flow, I have my powerheads set the same as yours. The frogspawn is moving, but it's not major. Do you have a video of your tank on Youtube? If not, you should make one, it would be great to see.

I had a clwonfish that did that once when I moved it's host torch, lol! It's the same clown that's in my 10g now. Direct flow is a funny thing... The torch I have now is semi in the flow patch of my Koralia 2 pump, about "6 or so away... Sometimes the tenticles blow around like in a hurricane, but it always opens fully. Of course this is a torch and not a frogspawn, but same family however... Give it a few days and see how it adapts to the new spot. :)

Mr. Fridmani is still MIA... :tears: Doing a major tank clean in the 30g today though, W/C, some aiptasia control to a bugger that has survived a dose each of Joe's Juice (crap) and Blue Life Aiptasia control. And then finishing off with some glass scraping. :P

I had a clwonfish that did that once when I moved it's host torch, lol! It's the same clown that's in my 10g now. Direct flow is a funny thing... The torch I have now is semi in the flow patch of my Koralia 2 pump, about "6 or so away... Sometimes the tenticles blow around like in a hurricane, but it always opens fully. Of course this is a torch and not a frogspawn, but same family however... Give it a few days and see how it adapts to the new spot. :)

Mr. Fridmani is still MIA... :tears: Doing a major tank clean in the 30g today though, W/C, some aiptasia control to a bugger that has survived a dose each of Joe's Juice (crap) and Blue Life Aiptasia control. And then finishing off with some glass scraping. :P

YAY!! My Frogspawn is happier now since I moved it!!! :D It is fuller now than I have seen it in a couple of days and maybe in a few more days it will open all the way! Not sure if it's liking the brighter light or the shrimp leaving it alone! They still haven't figured it out! :lol: I am doing a 5 gal. w/c tomorrow and waiting for the brown algae and hair algae to go away! I keep scraping the stuff off but sometimes I think I may be making it worse!

I had a pretty big aiptasia, that I killed with boiling aquarium water. It worked like a charm. I have quite a few little ones, but I haven't tried it on them. Do they bother corals? They don't really bother me until they get big. I just think they are ugly.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Fridmani.... what do you think happened to him? I sure would hate to lose any of my fish, but luckily, mine are pretty hardy little guys. Btw, how's Coco doin?

Well, I spoke too soon...after the lights went out, one of the shrimp has found it and now it's closed up tight again...so I just got done squirting him with the turkey baster and maybe that will work.... :angry:

My torch and FS will sometimes close up tight when the lights are out for a bit... I'm really convinced that in your situation, the shrimp just might be irritating and bothering the FS... =/

Here's a pic of how my skimmer looked only 10-15 minutes after turning everything in my tank back on and cleaning out the skimmer cup before turning that back on... :o I only have 2 ideas how Frito-II dissapeard (I'm so original with my names, lol!) Either he died in his sleep, or when he was hiding where ever he goes in the rocks during the night, and then maybe my emerald crab or my Clown fish got to him, or perhaps my clownfish just got him to begin with. :angry: I don't really know... I had a 6-line many months ago that just op and dissapeared the same way before my tank move. When I did the move I didn't find any remains of it, not even any bones! And it wasn't back behind the tank either, lol! Great thing about having a skimmer is that if anything dies, you'll almost never know it parameter wise. ;)

And Coco is doing great! B)

Archived